gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 10:07:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why a reunion won't happen.....  (Read 35692 times)
Jason
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »

It's been a long time since Mike and Brian collaborated together with music or anything else for that matter. Brian's worked with Tony Asher on Pet Sounds, Van Dyke on Smile, Scott Bennett for TLOS, etc. When WAS the last time he and Mike did a song together?Huh

I think that Brian has passed the musical stage of the Beach Boys and gone further ahead muscially. I was listening to TLOS last night, and the horns, violins, flutes, etc. all the instruments that Brian uses in his band now, is so much more advanced than the Mike/Bruce band. I'm sorry to say that the Mike/Bruce band could just be another tribute band who keep touring the world like so many others. Even Al does new music for goodness sakes.

Brian and Michael were writing songs together as late as 1996. If you want to lay the blame on someone for that project not being seen through, ask Carl about it.

Michael's been doing music of his own for a while, it's just that he can't get someone to back his stuff anymore. Of course, that's why it's on the internet, although I've heard that Michael put it out himself (among other things, PRESUMABLY). So it's not like he's not making an effort to do his own thing.

They're all trying but they say they're happy doing what they're doing. Who are we to tell them "no"?
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2009, 08:08:04 PM »

Which poet said "You can never go home again"?

That was actually a book from novelist Thomas Wolfe.  But that doesn't change your point.  And, I agree with you.  I don't want to see a reunion because it would be for all the wrong reasons.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »

I don't want to see a reunion because it would be for all the wrong reasons.

Not if the five surviving Beach Boys truly want to work or perform with each other. Look at the proposed lineup - Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David. With the exception of the recent problem between Mike and Al (and I don't want to minimize it; it was/is serious), all of those guys got along with each other within the group. Really, they all seem to like each other within The Beach Boys' scope. They have a history, they made history, sharing things that not many groups could ever share. In some ways, they remain brothers, cousins, and friends. I'd like to think any of them would come to the aid of another if ever needed.

And, there is one important thing missing from a proposed reunion - drugs. Do you realize what havoc that one issue caused within the group? I know, that question wasn't necessary....But, drugs affected Brian's productivity, performance, and attitude; ditto for Dennis. Drugs divided the group and was the single most detrimental reason for the problems in the 70's and 80's. Most of the negativity that we view within the group - that could also influence one's opinion for a reunion - can be traced back to drugs, prescribed or unprescribed.

But, thankfully, the drugs are a thing of the past. And, I have to believe the guys are older and wiser. Isn't it possible or even probable that they learned from their mistakes, and would go out of their way to make sure those bad things don't happen again? Could history repeat itself? Of course, it would be naive to think that everything would be smooth sailing. But, taking drugs out of the equation at least gives them a much better chance at success....
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »

Well if they could muster one last hit record, that would create a lot of excitement and ticket sales.

No.  It wouldn't. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »

I didn't mean to come off as snobby and am sorry you took it that way. I was getting autographs from David, Al, Matt, etc when I said".......please don't do a reunion thing........" when they both spoke out that it will never happen, don't worry about that, etc........ I was walking away from the booth and they were both still assuring me. They were emphatic about it. I wasn't about to go back up to them and say "Why?" I assume it is a personal choice and I'm not about to ask why. I have my own thoughts on it and am glad they feel that way.

I was talking with David and some other band members off and on all day from the soundcheck at 9 A.M.  on. I never wanted to corner any of them and start asking silly questions. In fact, all of them were staying at the same place as I and many other fans were. It was a short walk down the street from where the event was held. We'd run into them in the hall, elevator, etc. and all were very nice, down to earth people. They were "off the clock" and we had talk about the food in the restaurant, etc. but never reunion things.

I agree about the management thing posted above and Brian has been away from the Beach Boys group scenario for years now and that ship has sailed. I personally think that Mike does the big talk on the reunion to look like the "nice guy" extending the olive branch and when it doesn't happen, he can fall back on "well the other guys didn't want to do it" excuse. In reality, Mike has always been the one to stir the pot with the lawsuits all along.

I really don't think the "general public fans" give a rat's behind whether or not they have a reunion. I don't think that there is mucho bucks to be made on it either. I'd rather see Brian and HIS band play or Mike/Bruce or Al, but NOT together again. There's too much history there. I think a reunion would not be worth the trouble/heartache/lawsuit that would come out of it and you know there is nothing to gain by doing it.

Sometimes I think we over analyze things on these boards and the reunion thing is one of them. No matter how much we want/don't want it to happen, it's up to the actual people involved and I really think we should let sleeping dogs alone.

Thank you!!!!

DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2009, 09:31:05 PM »

Sheriff, you are on die-hard optimist, I'll give you that!!!! Yeah, I can really see Mike coming to Al's recuse if he needed help...... You need to get off your drugs...you are obsessed with them in the BB world of the past. Cripes, almost everyone under 35 was on drugs at that time.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 09:32:12 PM »

Thank YOU, Awsoman!!!!!
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »

Sheriff, I told you before, Al and David said NO to the reunion. What makes you think they will change their minds? What about Brian saying NEVER?Huh??  Let it go man....................
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »

Sheriff, I told you before, Al and David said NO to the reunion. What makes you think they will change their minds? What about Brian saying NEVER?Huh??

In their hearts, and that includes Brian, they want to stand TOGETHER on that stage as The Beach Boys. I know it.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »

I don't want to see a reunion because it would be for all the wrong reasons.

Not if the five surviving Beach Boys truly want to work or perform with each other.

And this is where you miss the point by a mile: the surviving members don't get along.  After years of lawsuits, bickering, lawsuits, drugs, and lawsuits, I think these guys have had enough of each other.

And what would be so magical about a couple of near 70-year-olds getting together to croak out songs like "409"?  What possible new material would be strong enough to stand on its own without Carl Wilson's strong vocals supporting it?  And albums like Summer In Paradise were made WITH Carl involved; imagine what nightmares could be produced without him. 

Seriously, let's just put this thing to bed.  We don't need a Beach Boys reunion.  And if you really think about it, you don't want one.  This absurd desire for some sort of "finality" or a "happy ending" to the Beach Boys story isn't gonna happen.  Just appreciate the good stuff they put out. 

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »

We don't need a Beach Boys reunion.  And if you really think about it, you don't want one.

You talking to me?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »

Weird, when it was announced that Al would join Brian's band, it was cheered by the same people who dread the mere thought of Mike and Brian ever sharing a stage again. I guess some reunions are more acceptable than others.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2009, 11:54:04 PM »

Sheriff, I told you before, Al and David said NO to the reunion. What makes you think they will change their minds? What about Brian saying NEVER?Huh??  Let it go man....................

Donna - Mike just sang on Al's record (joining Carl and Brian).  Brian sang on Al's record.  Dave's on it. Dave appears with the Beach Boys all the time.  I'd really take what they told you with a grain of salt.   Surely the first two people on-board would be Al and Dave.

Eddie Van Halen swore they'd never, ever do anything again with David Lee Roth.  Never say never in the music business.  If the right deal comes along, they'll do it.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2009, 12:21:45 AM »

Sheriff, I told you before, Al and David said NO to the reunion. What makes you think they will change their minds? What about Brian saying NEVER?Huh??

In their hearts, and that includes Brian, they want to stand TOGETHER on that stage as The Beach Boys. I know it.

It's odd... I don't see this thread as negative in the slightest. I always found the Sheriff quite realistic, and it is refreshing that he takes this particular point of view. For me (I think I said it earlier), it is a distinct possibility. The guys all are approaching their three score-and-ten, and a sense of mortality is surely creeping up. That, combined with the prospect of a 50-year jubilee, will be alluring. Just imagine: Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce sharing a mike (no pun intended...) - I think I might cry. Really.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2009, 01:56:36 AM »

Iwhen did Mike and Brian NOT work well together?

Well THAT isn't subjective in the slightest. Unless you're not talking about quality, rather quantity. They've written a lot of songs, that's for damn sure.  Quality-wise..... hmm.

Yes, it is subjective. I think I like about 95-99% of the songs that have a B. Wilson/M. Love credit. But, why don't you try it or think about it. Look at the entire list of songs and see if your favorable percentage isn't in the 95-99% category.

And when a good 30-40% of those songs are retreads of the earlier stuff, i would say that's a non-working songwriting partnership. I was being a wee bit sarcastic in my post, mind. I don't like as many of the wilson/love songs as you, and yes,  i have thought about it.

But on topic....

'never say never' is probably correct. Anyone remember Richard Ashcroft saying 'You'd see the beatles reunion before The Verve's?'. The sense of occasion, if they can sort out any personal wrangles, should do the trick. I really wouldn't expect any new material, but i'd like to be proved wrong  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2009, 02:02:31 AM »

Re-wind to July 1969.

Someone tells you: 'in 2009, you will see Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Mike Collins, together with a coloured president of the U.S.A., in a relaxed interview setting on your plasma television'.

How would you react?

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 02:17:09 AM »

Eddie Van Halen swore they'd never, ever do anything again with David Lee Roth.  Never say never in the music business.  If the right deal comes along, they'll do it.

Earlier this year, Wes Borland said that he definately wouldn't rejoin Limp Bizkit for their reunion tour and called his former band's music "random lyrics on top of music that sounds cool" and said that it "didn't make sense". Two weeks later he rejoined the band.

How many times has it been said that Roger Waters would never go on stage with Pink Floyd again? Or that Blink-182 would never reunite? Didn't Don Henley say that The Eagles would play together again "when hell freezes over"?

Things like that happen all the time.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:24:51 AM by shelter » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2009, 03:44:31 AM »

They both said it will NEVER happen and were very adamant about it.

Did they say why it will "never" happen, in their opinion?

Do you actually have to ask why they feel that way?Huh Please.

Well, yeah.  Maybe Carrie could answer for David?

I'm guessing, they currently don't expect Brian's management to allow it. As others have pointed out , never never means never, sometimes.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:17 AM »

I thought it was said a few months ago that David Marks just wants to work at all? I thought that was the reason why he had played a few dates with the touring BBs and plays with Al and/or the Surf City All Stars.

I don't see why he wouldn't want to participate in a reunion if there was one.

I would think those comments were more about them preparing themselves if all the speculation doesn't actually turn into something, which is perfectly alright, but I wouldn't take anything anyone says at this point so seriously. Until the 50th Anniversay passes and either something or nothing happens, these are all rumors. Relax.  Cool
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2009, 04:03:25 AM »

What exactly was the founding date of the BBs, by the way? I want to construct a backwards counting stopwatch on my PC.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2009, 06:08:46 AM »

Just imagine: Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce sharing a mike (no pun intended...) - I think I might cry. Really.

It would be emotional, wouldn't it....Can you picture, at a reunion concert, the guys performing "Surfer Girl", and Brian introducing it as the first song he ever wrote. After the song (to later be "fixed" in the studio Grin) is over, Brian gets a standing ovation, and Mike proceeds to walk over to Brian, and both guys embrace.

Or, later in the show, "Kokomo" is performed, and, after the song is over, and another standing ovation, Brian walks over to Mike, raises Mike's hand, and yells out to the applauding audience, "Mike Love!". And Mike stands there proudly, finally getting the recognition from the man who means the most to him. It would mean EVERYTHING to Mike.

Now, who wouldn't want to see moments like that?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2009, 06:35:13 AM »

Just imagine: Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce sharing a mike (no pun intended...) - I think I might cry. Really.

It would be emotional, wouldn't it....Can you picture, at a reunion concert, the guys performing "Surfer Girl", and Brian introducing it as the first song he ever wrote. After the song (to later be "fixed" in the studio Grin) is over, Brian gets a standing ovation, and Mike proceeds to walk over to Brian, and both guys embrace.

Or, later in the show, "Kokomo" is performed, and, after the song is over, and another standing ovation, Brian walks over to Mike, raises Mike's hand, and yells out to the applauding audience, "Mike Love!". And Mike stands there proudly, finally getting the recognition from the man who means the most to him. It would mean EVERYTHING to Mike.

Now, who wouldn't want to see moments like that?

Sheriff -

if we continue painting dreams like this, we might play an ever so tiny role in the actual reunion...

...and score a couple of free tickets and flights on the side...

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2009, 06:41:37 AM »

thejonstebbins.com/reunion.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:43:04 AM by LostArt » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2009, 07:08:13 AM »

They seemed to get along just fine there... And what has happened since then? Al toured with Brian. Nobody sued anyone. Mike seems to have lightened up in interviews. Brian proved with TLOS that there's still a bit of that magic left. And Al, Brian and Mike recorded a song together (well, more or less - they're all on the same song) for the first time in 13 years.

You'd think that there has never been a better time for a reunion than now, right?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2009, 07:11:44 AM »

Thanks for the link, LostArt. I missed it first time around. THAT'S what I'm getting at!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx