gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 12:02:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best radio ad ever?  (Read 13370 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »

Sorry for making a whole topic for this, but it deserves to be discussed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1cOmw4fBLw&feature=related

Is that the best radio ad ever?

I was thinking about what it would be like if they had done a commercial like this for Imagination:

"Momma's little baby loves shortenin', shortenin', momma's little baby loves shortenin' bread..."

Oh, I must have passed out after snorting that stuff.  I only got to listen to "Shortenin' Bread" seven times! ["South American" starts playing in the background]

Hey, what's this? There's a tropical drink in my hand, and I feel like I'm defying a little gravity.  Something beautiful is going on here...
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »

How bizarre...  I wonder; could Mike Love have approved this ad?  Almost thought that was Carl speaking at first, too.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »

Ha ha! I have this ad on a boot somewhere! Love how it implys that in 1972 your average Beach Boys fan was a toker. What would Mike say?!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »

Wow that's...weird.  It sounded like Carl to me too at first.  Who is actually speaking, anybody of note?  It didn't sound like any of the other Beach Boys to me.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »

Jack Riley perhaps?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »

Off the top, here are my favorite Beach Boys radio ads:

1. Honda 55 radio ad.
2. Murry The K promo spots.
3. Radio spots found on SOT Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 12 (especially KOMA and
Dance, Dance, Dance promo spots).
4. SMiLE ad, late 1966. “We’re sure to sell a million units – in January”.
5. Wild Honey promo spot.
6. Sunflower promo spot.
7. Vote ’72 – voter registration spots - Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al, and Ricky.
8. Carl & The Passions promo spot.
9. Anti-drug radio message – Carl.
10. Toys for Tots radio ad(s).
11. Sunkist radio ad - Good Vibrations.
12. KPUK radio promo spot.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »

Wow, I have a pair of sunglasses from the Sunkist era. They are quite nice. Beach Boys logo on each temple.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »

I have the big ol' Sunkist beach ball and the shorts and the album. Don't have the sunglasses though!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:37 AM »

I have the big ol' Sunkist beach ball and the shorts and the album. Don't have the sunglasses though!

Do you have the sandpail( filled with sand, including a shovel) and the package of Red Hots, from SIP ?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »

No, and I don't have the sunglasses from Stars & Stripes either.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:44:35 AM by Mikie » Logged

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 06:08:51 AM »

maybe it was my age at the time and the "second coming" and all but i always liked the ad for surf's up. remember it to this very day.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 06:36:11 AM »

Off the top, here are my favorite Beach Boys radio ads:

4. SMiLE ad, late 1966. “We’re sure to sell a million units – in January”.

Strictly speaking, not a radio ad. It was on a promo disc sent out to Capitol salesmen to acquaint them with the January 1967 releases.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »

I've never seen that promo disc, but if it exists, I'll bet it's worth some big $.

How about the KPUK ad; has anybody here heard that one?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 07:57:19 AM »

I've never seen that promo disc, but if it exists, I'll bet it's worth some big $.

I'm thinking precious few.  Roll Eyes

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »

I've only ever heard of one copy of this Capitol Promo LP in existence. Sold by Rockaway, from an Iowa collection they purchased, to a UK collector for around $600. Wish I'd bought it!  Maybe if I get over for the RFH Gershwin show, I'll go by his house and see it!  

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 08:18:02 AM »

What is the KPUK ad? seems I've heard tell before, and not paid close enough attention. 

And, by the way, I don't have either the S&S sunglasses, or the Sunkist ones.  If I did,I'd probably just do someting silly and break them while trying to screen the sun on my trip to London...

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29:21 AM »

I have 60 second radio spots ( on promo reels) that I've never listened to for:

Surf's Up
Carl & the Passions 
Holland
Friends/Smiley Smile
BBs/Bob Weir  Six Pack   
Butterfield/Deep Purple/ BBs   Combo Talk   
MIU 
Made In The USA
BBs   CBS  5/7/79
plus an assortment of  Radio ads from 1981/82  for  Buffalo NY

I should really check them, but taking a chance on breaking the tape, would ruin it for me. Anyone got a foolproof suggestion for an old fool? 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »

What is the KPUK ad? seems I've heard tell before, and not paid close enough attention. 

KPUK radio 7" single sized picture sleeve, red w/ black lettering. Picture of Brian eating his shoe. No record. Don't know if a record was ever intended for it. Peter knows.  Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »

KPUK radio 7" single sized picture sleeve, red w/ black lettering. Picture of Brian eating his shoe. No record. Don't know if a record was ever intended for it. Peter knows.  Smiley

Ahh, The Borscht Boys. Peter was such a jokester!! 
 Found it just now while looking for my BBs In Concert Promo Radio Spots EP ( it has 10, 30 and 60 second spots) says " Use with Copy provided" which I unfortunately do not posess. 
About the Sunflower promo spot:  Is this something you have on tape, and is it more than one spot?  My promo Ep has three bands, each of 60 seconds, but I have yet to listen to them to see what they are. 
I just have to find a good (inexpensive) turntable! 

have you heard  the BBs "Save The Children" promo spot?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 09:03:07 AM »

Intended tracks were:

We Got Love - studio
Toys For Tots - radio spot to the tune of Little St. Nick
Rock And Roll Music  -'hot' mix
Pamela Jean
Auld Lang Syne - without Dennis' voice-over

It was Volume 6 of The Beach Boys Collectors Series, but production difficulties (I gather the plant burned down just before Christmas 1978) put an end to that.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 09:15:03 AM »

That would have been a nice EP. At least he got "Hawthorne Hotshots" out. That was a good one, amongst others in the series......

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »

Speaking of Capitol preview albums...forgive the quality but I just snapped a quick photo for this post...

My heart skipped a beat when I was leafing through a box of albums at a yard sale and saw this one, which had the headline "PREVIEW OF JANUARY ALBUMS from Captiol" screaming out at me. I thought for that brief moment is this really one of those with the Smile promo on it? I should have known from the clothing styles on the front, but on the back cover it was January of 1958...still a cool find, because it has the artists introducing each of the preview tracks from their forthcoming albums with a short announcement, and it has Sinatra, for example, plugging something from his classic Come Fly With Me album. So it's cool, and I think I may have another year in my collection, they're kind of rare...

But mention of that Capitol sales promo from '66 got me thinking of this and how I found it, and remember to keep an eye out for yard sales and flea markets and all of that. Capitol had numerous salesmen and radio stations+record shops to reach in 1966, and you never know what may be buried in that stack of Jackie Gleason and Mantovani LP's at your local yard sale...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »

Ain't it the truth!  Hope springs eternal.
In 40 years of searching I've never found one, adn I have tons of other Capitol Promo LPs. 
DARN!! 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 12:15:08 PM »

About the Sunflower promo spot:  Is this something you have on tape, and is it more than one spot?  My promo Ep has three bands, each of 60 seconds, but I have yet to listen to them to see what they are.  Have you heard  the BBs "Save The Children" promo spot?

I don't have an original Sunflower promo EP, but a friend of mine does. I was holding it in my hands one day and started to drool on it, so he took it away from me pretty quickly. It's a very rare record. I have the contents of it somewhere on a cassette, but I'd like to have an Mp3 file of it.

Don't think I've heard the "Save The Children" promo spot before.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »

About the Sunflower promo spot:  Is this something you have on tape, and is it more than one spot?  My promo Ep has three bands, each of 60 seconds, but I have yet to listen to them to see what they are.  Have you heard  the BBs "Save The Children" promo spot?

I don't have an original Sunflower promo EP, but a friend of mine does. I was holding it in my hands one day and started to drool on it, so he took it away from me pretty quickly. It's a very rare record. I have the contents of it somewhere on a cassette, but I'd like to have an Mp3 file of it.

Don't think I've heard the "Save The Children" promo spot before.

Is there some really easy way to play these to my computer and upload them, for anyone that wants to hear them? ( Something I could do with a 70's turntable)
I'm talking easy like for a  simpleton, which it surely seems I am when it's a technology thing.
I mean, I could probably make cassette copies of stuff, but beyond that...  
The Sunflower EP had no cover that I know of. The In Concert has the Indian on His Horse.  
Save the Children, there MAY have been more than one issued; I have one sealed in a nice mailer that lists the artists on the outside, and I presumed it was the same as my open record, but looking at it now, I see that the artists listed on the record are somewhat different than the mailer. crap.  
I posted some pics in the Media section.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:23:19 PM by bgas » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx