gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 12:08:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love... "We're not worthy" ?  (Read 2634 times)
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »

I've heard Mike use that phrase on audience tapes at least a couple of times. It's always after he cries out "King of the surf guitar" introducing the instrumental break in "Surfin' Safari".
Anybody know why? Did Dick Dale ever insult the Beach Boys & was this a dig at him?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »

I don't know when the concerts are from but I'm going to take a guess and say that it's a Wayne's World reference and was accompanied by religioso bowing to the guitar player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh78T--ZUxY
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »

Didn't Mike used to refer to Carl this way on stage when he would do a solo?  Mike still does that even today with the current band...isn't it weird that he would still do this especially since he used to call Carl that?  If anything, that seems more of a diss.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »

I don't know when the concerts are from but I'm going to take a guess and say that it's a Wayne's World reference and was accompanied by religioso bowing to the guitar player.

I checked some of my "Surfin' Safari"s & found at least three times in the 1990s. The one that I imagine circulates the most is from the 1993 show at the Paramount, & two shows in Tennessee in 1996. He really emphasizes "woooooorthy"
each time when he repeats the phrase. Also from a Glasgow show in 2004, when it's obviously (and unfortunately) not directed at Carl.

Thanks for the fast reply!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »

Ah here it is....I was just watching this recently which is why it was so fresh in my mind.

At 0:46...the bow and the "King of the surf guitaaaaar" towards Carl....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSwdQMn8xs
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:57 PM »

If your lookin for the king of surf guitar.. It was NEVER CW,,period..!!! Cw was a progressive musician.. Move forward..New statements..CW was a musician learning multi instruments.. tryin to move forward with BB sound.. Since BW move forward and used keyboards as main sound..CW did the same..All during the 70"s + 80 "s CW used keyboards as his main instrument.. NEW SONGS.. AC sound.. BUT... Unfortunately.. nobody liked that sound..Yes they had lots of AC hits into the 90"s..BUT.. It was never accepted...By bb FANS... TO Mellow..OK..SO..So CW used the guitar sound on his solo records,,NOPE..WE dont like that either...The point is.....................BB fans held the band down... For years...Time to move on beyond 60"s hits...NOBODY including DJ"s wouldnt let them do that..BB are a oldies act cause ML + audience...!!! as i see it.. a fan since early 60"s.....I stand by that statement.. CW in early 80"s said........................... WE are dammed if we do... Dammed if we dont..In..otherwords..PROGRESS...Audience wants PUNK...WELL.. Its not all ML fault.. Its the audience"s fault to...
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »

Where is Jon Steebins.. Ed Roach.. AGD.. Anybody else ..Insiders...my Statements are true by my reading + my feel as a musician..Can i have some back up please..!!!!!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »

Ah here it is....I was just watching this recently which is why it was so fresh in my mind.
At 0:46...the bow and the "King of the surf guitaaaaar" towards Carl....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSwdQMn8xs

That ^ was painful.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 11:18:13 PM »

One thing I'll never understand about Beach Boys fans:

A guy who danced like an idiot, dresses like an idiot, is on tape for DECADES acting like an idiot, ....

why do Beach Boys fans take every word he says so seriously?

It was obviously a Waynes World reference, I know tons of people who do that and it's never a diss.  If you say it about one person, you're not dissing somebody else that you used to say it about.

You guys act like 12th grade schoolgirls sometimes. 

Maybe Mike's just having a good time? 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »

For God's sake, Ron, it's clearly a zen koan  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »

Whew it's time for me to meditate
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 02:01:24 AM »

HMM.. I See..No back up from insiders..Even when i use direct quotes from CW..Early to mid 80"s. From Musician"s Mag + quotes from TV special"s..OK.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 04:16:22 AM »

HMM.. I See..No back up from insiders..Even when i use direct quotes from CW..Early to mid 80"s. From Musician"s Mag + quotes from TV special"s..OK.

You don't write on a message board in order to have insiders back you up. Hell, if you've got direct quotes from Carl, why do you need back up? Carl seems to be a decent insider.

Also it might help if you tried to write properly. I usually skip your posts because they often are large slabs of text with half the words that would normally be required in order to make them understandable. Add randomly capitalized words, dots generously thrown all over for no apparent reason, and the absence of separate paragraphs, and you end up with posts no one wants to reply to or even read.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:34:31 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »

I'll say this for Mike...he sounds much better today than that clip in 1991.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx