gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681061 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 08:58:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416424 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3300 on: December 08, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »

Why does so many people hate Jeffrey Foskett?

Comes off a little creepy, grating falsetto that'd probably be bettered by Christian Love/Matt Jardine, rumoured to sign autographs posing as Brian, sings "bacon, bacon" instead of "bygone, bygone", doesn't like Love You etc. etc.

I think Bruce's falsetto is way better than his too.

Bruce has a falsetto? Wouldn't have known it at the London shows.

You heard the falsetto at the end of Fun, Fun, Fun? That was Bruce

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: December 08, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »

Why does so many people hate Jeffrey Foskett?

Comes off a little creepy, grating falsetto that'd probably be bettered by Christian Love/Matt Jardine, rumoured to sign autographs posing as Brian, sings "bacon, bacon" instead of "bygone, bygone", doesn't like Love You etc. etc.

I think Bruce's falsetto is way better than his too.

Bruce has a falsetto? Wouldn't have known it at the London shows.

You heard the falsetto at the end of Fun, Fun, Fun? That was Bruce

When him and Mike played that on the Imus show a few years ago, Bruce still hit it perfectly.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: December 08, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »

what if "Till I Die" had been released as a single during their heydey (64-65)? Would it have been treated sort of like surfer girl or in my room or would people have been like WTF?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: December 08, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »

Why would it have been treated like Surfer Girl?
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: December 08, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »

as sort of a "ballad" as opposed to their faster songs like "Fun Fun Fun"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: December 08, 2012, 07:10:17 PM »

Around 1967 it would be interesting.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: December 08, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »

I think it would have sunk like a stone as a single no matter when it was released.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: December 10, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »

in their early days (62 and 63) were Mike and Brian sort of the parents/chaperones in the group? I can just imagine them having the responsibility of making sure Dave, Carl and Denny weren't getting into any shenanigans like bringing a hooker into their hotel room (something I could have seen Dennis doing).
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: December 10, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »

Hell no. They had their Dad with them for that!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: December 10, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »

Well, they had Murry after he found out about the sex and (I think) booze that their old road manager simply ignored, right?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: December 10, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »

On YT, I started watching: Good Vibrations The Life & Times of The Beach Boys, was this something that has been edited from a WHOLE LOTTA documentaries into one giant doc about the BB?

Seems like it has items from American Band, EH, the new Doin it again doc, and interviews splashed from everywhere.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: December 10, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »

The David Leaf 'fanzine' Pet Sounds from the late 70s, how many issues were there? A friend gave me a plastic bag with the first 4 issues, I wasn't sure if there were more. It came with an order form, the issues were dirt cheap! the in cent range by themselves. Are these worth anything? They're worth the world to me.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: December 11, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »

Why did LA not contain more of the California Feelin' songs? Santa Ana Winds, Cal'Feeling, Carry Me Home and such were obviously better than HCTN. Why why why?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: December 11, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »

Carry Me Home dates from 1972 and is sung by Blondie Chaplin for the most part. Why would they put it on LA?

As for CF, Brian didn't want it on there.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »

Why did LA not contain more of the California Feelin' songs? Santa Ana Winds, Cal'Feeling, Carry Me Home and such were obviously better than HCTN. Why why why?
And if anything, just put the "single version" of Here Comes the Night on the album, NOT TEN MINUTE VERSION!

BTW, are we ever gonna get an official release of the HCTN medley that was released back then? Was it just a radio promo?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: December 11, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »

Just a note, I saw where the Ovation channel is showing the Endless Harmony documentary today, I think it started at 2:30 (eastern)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: December 11, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »

I don't think I've asked yet, I found a BB trivia book that a friend gave me with other goodies, it's from 1985, has a certificate of authenticity. It's a very handmade type project.

Anyone have it or know any info on it?

Also, I have what appears to be a menu, a postcard, and a matchbook from the Beach Boys Cafe in California, anyone have any info on this?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: December 11, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »

What's Mike and Bruce's concert setlist as of lately? comparitive to the C50? Any rarities?

I know Brian and Al played together or are going to play together, what's been on their setlists?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »

Here's a good insignificant question: Why don't you just edit further questions into one single post that you've recently made instead of triple posting?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: December 11, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

I don't know, forgot it was against the rules.  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: December 11, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »

The David Leaf 'fanzine' Pet Sounds from the late 70s, how many issues were there? A friend gave me a plastic bag with the first 4 issues, I wasn't sure if there were more. It came with an order form, the issues were dirt cheap! the in cent range by themselves. Are these worth anything? They're worth the world to me.
I was reading the first issue last night and Rodney (of WROQ/Mayor of Sunset Strip) was interviewed, he discussed some items that made me question a bit of things. He said he was at a lot of sessions, such as smile. He said he was at the Cabinessence session but he said it was a totally different song at the time, unless he was thinking about the different sections (who ran the Iron Horse?/Grand Coolie Dam/Crow Cries sections). He also discussed how Brian and Phil Spector were "friends", honestly, of all the research Ive seen and read, I never saw them as friends. He said Phil had a sense of humor and Brian didn't have as much of one. That confuses me, I see Brian as the humorist and Phil as the straight forward, "lets lay this down/get this done."....perhaps I've only heard a few Spector sessions and heard many of Brian's in which Brian seems to be a lot looser and comfortable. He also described the Whiskey a Go Go concert where Brian performed in the 1970s and mentioned that David Marks was there too, is that true? I didnt think they'd performed on the same stage in the 70s at all.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: December 11, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »

Carry Me Home dates from 1972 and is sung by Blondie Chaplin for the most part. Why would they put it on LA?

Good Timin' from 1974.. Angel Come Home from that period as well, Shortenin' Bread...
They even considered Do You Like Worms and We're Together Again. Carry Me Home would be a very nice piece to include on Holland's true followup. They had the music, yet again they failed to deliver. I believe their unreleased material is superior to the catalogue of even some famous bands
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: December 12, 2012, 03:51:36 AM »

Good Timin' from 1974.. Angel Come Home from that period as well, Shortenin' Bread...
They even considered Do You Like Worms and We're Together Again. Carry Me Home would be a very nice piece to include on Holland's true followup. They had the music, yet again they failed to deliver. I believe their unreleased material is superior to the catalogue of even some famous bands

There's the small part that the majority of the song is sung by a guy who wasn't a Beach Boy at the time, and who left in hardly amicable circumstances. DYLW and We're Together Again at least had the current line-up singing on it, but I don't think DYLW was ever a serious contender to anyone except Bruce (Brian would have run a mile from Smile stuff at that time). As for 'We're Together Again', it's nice but again it's ten years old by that point!

Plus, if you were hurting for Dennis songs, the guy had been solidly writing (and getting better/more advanced at songwriting, imo) for the past 7 years - why would he put on a composition that old when he had plenty of new stuff?

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: December 12, 2012, 06:33:22 AM »

In the Endless Harmony doc, Bruce said that "I Can Hear Music" was the first song Brian didn't sing on. Is there any reason not to believe Bruce on this one?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3324 on: December 12, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:38:31 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx