gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681161 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 25, 2024, 10:53:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
astroray and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1418253 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2400 on: May 20, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »

I thought it was a set of keys?
Yeah he's also said it was keys, but that not what he told me.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2401 on: May 20, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »

Who was Brian's long-lost cousin who owned land in Argentina? Does he sing or write music? Is he on Murry or Audree's side of the family? Does anyone know more about this guy? His quoted summation of "out of this world without traveling to space" is very Brian-esque.
Where (literature) is he mentioned?

An "artist on artist" featuring Brian Wilson & Jimmy Buffett.
I wonder if he looks like an Argentinian version of Brian. He sounds cool, judging by the song...

- B00ts
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: May 20, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »

Would someone be able to direct me to a list of all of the BB songs that are available in stereo and where I could find them/what releases they're featured on? Besides Pet Sounds in stereo. That's an easy one. Does a list like this exist?
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: May 21, 2012, 05:43:12 AM »

Does anyone know why 1957 is part of the title of "Disney Girls"?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: May 21, 2012, 05:56:36 AM »

Bruce was 15 in 1957 and since it's a nostalgic song about youth and past times I always figured he was singing about the golden days of (his) youth, being 15 and in love and stuff...  Wink
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:28:18 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #2405 on: May 21, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »

Would someone be able to direct me to a list of all of the BB songs that are available in stereo and where I could find them/what releases they're featured on? Besides Pet Sounds in stereo. That's an easy one. Does a list like this exist?

Here you go - http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/monostereo.html
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: May 21, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »

Bruce was 15 in 1957 and since it's a nostalgic song about youth and past times I always figured he was singing about the golden days of (his) youth, being 15 and in love and stuff...  Wink

Well, I guess he wants to know: why not 1958? Was '57 such a better year for Bruce than '58, or '56? Was 15 better than 16 or 14? Was perhaps "1957" just an aesthetic choice?
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39:38 AM »

Here you go - http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/monostereo.html

Wow, that was perfect. Thank you!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: May 22, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »

What ever happened to any lyrics that went with Summer Means New Love (from the Summer Nights album).  Was a vocal ever demoed?

thanks!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
doing
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: May 22, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »

1. Why does Brian try so hard to not look at his wind chimes? They are so peaceful and calming...are they cursed?

2. Am I the only one who is slightly unnerved by the line "Why don't you love her like her big brother" in Don't Hurt My Little Sister? Maybe I've been watching too much Game of Thrones.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: May 22, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »

I know this is a stretch but does anyone have the set-list for the July 11 1979 show at Rockland Community College? My dad worked security at that show.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: May 22, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »

Well, I guess he wants to know: why not 1958? Was '57 such a better year for Bruce than '58, or '56? Was 15 better than 16 or 14? Was perhaps "1957" just an aesthetic choice?

Maybe it was a callback to Bob Dylan's then-unreleased "I'm Not There (1956)".

Probably not.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: May 22, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »

sheknowsmetoowell asked a very general question, and I took it as "Why have the year in brackets at all?". And I think that's what he meant. As to why 1957 in particular (and not, say, 1958): may be connected to personal experiences he made that year, but only Bruce could answer that. Has he ever been asked that? If not, I think it would make an excellent interview question, as I'm sure he likes to talk about the songs he has written.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2413 on: May 23, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »

In 'All Summer Long', who sings the "not for us now" part?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: May 23, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »

Always thought it was Mike but the post below made me think twice.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:12:11 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: May 23, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

You 100% sure of that? I always thought it was Dennis. Listening to the vocal now, it still sounds a lot like him. Even sounds more Brian-esque than Mike, although I'd still guess it was Dennis.

Hate to question you of all people ^_^ just askin' if you're 100% sure of that based on info or if that's what you hear.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:33:47 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: May 23, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »

Does Mike Love (and Al & Bruce for that matter) have a vocal coach?

We know that Brian has a vocal coach, but I haven't heard it mentioned in regards to the other guys.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: May 23, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »

You 100% sure of that? I always thought it was Dennis. Listening to the vocal now, it still sounds a lot like him. Even sounds more Brian-esque than Mike, although I'd still guess it was Dennis.

Hate to question you of all people ^_^ just askin' if you're 100% sure of that based on info or if that's what you hear.
I've always heard Mike when that line happens because of the way he says "now"...but I just listened a few times, and you know, you could be right...it has a very Wilson vibe too. Really high to be Dennis, but it could be him. Might be Carl too. I doubt its Brian. So, my mind is changed to think its either Mike, Dennis or Carl. Not exactly a definitive response.
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2418 on: May 23, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »

Well the line is not on the main vocal take, so it was overdubbed later. My guess would be Brian, it's too high for Mike or Dennis, and I think it's on of Brian's typical spontaneous later additions.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: May 23, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »

It's certainly higher than we're used to hearing from Dennis in that era, but I wouldn't say it's out of his range. He goes into the same range just a year later on "In The Back Of My Mind". Whoever it is, it sounds like it's in their upper range just below the point of having to strain to hit those notes, where as with Brian, I think it would sound a lot more comfortable than it is here because of his wider range. It sounds a lot less refined than Brian would do in those days, too, and more in line with Dennis' then lack of refinement (which didn't sound bad, mind you, just different).

Like I said a bit ago, I do think it may be Brian, but I think it could just as likely be Dennis, and it wouldn't be out of his range.

Edit: Argh. Listened a few more times, now it sounds more like Brian. >; ( this is tough.

Edit Edit: First one sounds just like Brian, second one sounds kinda like Dennis sounding like Brian (if that makes sense). Thus, my money's on Brian. Is there anywhere to look for an official word on the matter? Not that this is a pressing issue of any kind, just wonderin' ^_^
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:00:17 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: May 23, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »

It is a little hard to tell. I remember the SOT set making it pretty clear that it's Brian.

The way he sings "US" gives it away, imo.

It's funny, Brian's voice was all over the place during that period.  To this day "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" doesn't sound like what a BW falsetto should sound like to me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2421 on: May 23, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one struggling with this! I have very good ears musically, and it's not often I'm stumped. I was leaning towards Dennis, personally.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: May 23, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »

I always thought it were Dennis - he can sing that high, as on Girls On The Beach.

It could either be him or Mike.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: May 23, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »

I think it's Brian or possibly Dennis. The delivery sounds like Dennis, but the voice itself sounds like Brian.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: May 23, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »

I think it's Brian or possibly Dennis. The delivery sounds like Dennis, but the voice itself sounds like Brian.

These kids have been known for their occasional accidental "camouflaging" ability, but this is ridiculous - every member (sans Al, strangely, as he's the most known for occasionally sounding like other members) of the band has been named at least a couple times already. Surprised this wasn't discussed into the ground several years ago.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx