gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681062 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 11:17:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416457 times)
MBE
« Reply #2175 on: March 20, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »

He did an encore of Barbara Ann at a show in 1973. Andrew and Ian's site have it as 4-20 - Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood CA
MBE
« Reply #2176 on: March 20, 2012, 03:45:29 AM »

Probably also the last time he could sing the high part right on stage.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 20, 2012, 03:56:38 AM »

What should we, as fans, call ourselves? Beach Heads or Boy Lovers?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 20, 2012, 04:02:27 AM »

He did an encore of Barbara Ann at a show in 1973. Andrew and Ian's site have it as 4-20 - Hollywood Palladium, Hollywood CA

Ah ok, knew I should've checked those sites!

That would be pretty amazing to hear. Shame it wasn't recorded for the In Concert LP.
MBE
« Reply #2179 on: March 20, 2012, 04:44:47 AM »

I think it was actually at least if Badman is to be trusted in this case.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 20, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »

I think it was actually at least if Badman is to be trusted in this case.
If so, that would be a strong candidate for any upcoming archival release. IMO.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 20, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »

On disc 3 of TSS, what's the hidden track at the very very end of the tools banging? it's an organ section of something and for the life of me, I cant think of it...sounds Smiley-esq or Water chant backing...anyone know?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Paulos
« Reply #2182 on: March 20, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »

What should we, as fans, call ourselves? Beach Heads or Boy Lovers?

We tried this before, nothing really worked. I just go with 'Beach Boy fanatic'.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 20, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »

On disc 3 of TSS, what's the hidden track at the very very end of the tools banging? it's an organ section of something and for the life of me, I cant think of it...sounds Smiley-esq or Water chant backing...anyone know?

Isn't it the baldwin from the chorus of the Smiley Smile version of Heroes?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 20, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »

so what was the general reaction when brian reemerged with his gruff voice?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:03 PM »

There's so much goshdarn stuff going on in the "Don't Go Near the Water" mix, holy sh*t! Was this an entirely Mike and Al written song that presumably Carl produced, or did Brian help out in some arranging or composition way? It would blow my mind if all that stuff in the mix was their idea!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 21, 2012, 08:24:38 AM »

There's so much goshdarn stuff going on in the "Don't Go Near the Water" mix, holy sh*t! Was this an entirely Mike and Al written song that presumably Carl produced, or did Brian help out in some arranging or composition way? It would blow my mind if all that stuff in the mix was their idea!

My understanding is that the coda is written and arranged by Daryl Dragon.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 21, 2012, 09:45:30 AM »

The Peter Carlin book mentions that Brian contributed (and played) the dissonant piano part on DGNTW

Speaking of the Carlin book, which I am just now getting around to reading, he also mentions a couple of projects I wasn't aware of...

1) Two albums of poetry by Steve Kalinich that Brian produced and wrote music for... never released.

2) a number of Beach boys tunes being re-recorded with new lyrics in the early 70s. Apparently Tandym Almer was involved in rewriting the lyrics, and the project was rejected by A&M.

have any of these recordings ever surfaced ?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »

...Speaking of the Carlin book, which I am just now getting around to reading, he also mentions a couple of projects I wasn't aware of...

1) Two albums of poetry by Steve Kalinich that Brian produced and wrote music for... never released.

2) a number of Beach boys tunes being re-recorded with new lyrics in the early 70s. Apparently Tandym Almer was involved in rewriting the lyrics, and the project was rejected by A&M.

have any of these recordings ever surfaced ?

A WORLD OF PEACE MUST COME was finally released four years ago...nearly 40 years after it was recorded. You can listen to samples here...

http://www.amazon.com/A-World-Peace-Must-Come/dp/B001CLG6UE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332355460&sr=1-1
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »

Sadly the A&M recordings just disappeared. I'd love to hear them.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: March 21, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »

These re-recordings with Tandyn Almer were also mentioned in Steven Gaines' Heroes & Villains
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:26:27 PM by D409 » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 22, 2012, 06:02:26 AM »

These re-recordings with Tandyn Almer were also mentioned in Steven Gaines' Heroes & Villains

and we know how reliable that book is.   Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2192 on: March 22, 2012, 07:22:35 AM »

and we know how reliable that book is.   Grin

As regards the financial dealings and management side of the band, very reliable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »

What Beach Boys songs are on Rolling Stone's "greatest songs" list?
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 23, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »

Anyone know what part of Steamboat Jack Riley wrote? Or did he just write the lyrics?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 23, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »

Anyone know what part of Steamboat Jack Riley wrote? Or did he just write the lyrics?

I believe he just wrote lyrics for the most part. Same goes for the other songs he contributed to.

No mas, por favor.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 24, 2012, 12:11:27 AM »

"Shannon" by Henry Gross is an awful song. I'd be pretty embarrassed if I were Carl hearing this in 1976. What did he think of it, if anything? Also, it would've been funny if Brian re-recorded "Sandy"/"Sherry, She Needs Me" as "Shannon, She Needs Me" in tribute to Carl's dog -- even that would probably be better, damn.
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 24, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »

Boy Lovers

If you want to find yourself under investigation by the police, that's a good one.

"I experimented myself right out of action."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 24, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »

What did Carl think of Melinda? Similar question regarding Stamos.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 24, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »

Similar question regarding Stamos.

I recall Carl getting increasingly irritated by Stamos's presence during their 1992 concert at Olympic Park, Melbourne.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx