gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681147 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 25, 2024, 02:45:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1418164 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: July 30, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »

I was thinkin about how the Pet Sounds liner notes describe who played what instrument for each song, yet not too many other albums give us this kind of information. I think 15 Big Ones has it on the back of the album, I'm sure there's a couple of other albums with the players/instruments.

Anyways, I was wondering if we could get a "Definitive Instrument/Player Thread" going. Even if we can't get who played what on some of the later albums or so, we could at least get what instruments were on each song by listening. Just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

That's why we need the Beach Boys wiki!

No mas, por favor.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: July 31, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »

Is this the best SS poster name? Grin

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=profile;u=1706
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:26:19 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: July 31, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »

Nope.  Evil

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: August 01, 2011, 10:22:40 AM »

I was listening to the vocal sessions of Please Let me Wonder (the version with Mike on lead), what's the story on the alternate lyrics? Perhaps Mike wrote the ones he sung (not so great) and then perhaps Brian re-wrote and sung lead on those (released)?

"Now here were are together,
This would have been worth waiting forever,
I always knew I'd feel this way,
And please forgive my shaking,
Can't you tell my heart is breaking,
(But) I'm so afraid of what you'll say

CHORUS

I know this may be the wrong time,
(Since) I've loved you such a long time,
And just lovin' you won't make you stay,
And somehow the truth doesn't matter,
And I know my dreams could be shattered,
So please don't say what you wanna say.

That's all I heard. To be honest, those lyrics kinda wander around, maybe they were just temporary, but the released lyrics are far far superior and amazing! Also, just an observation, but the lyric about "the truth doesn't matter, I know my dreams could be shattered" are on Melt Away aren't they? If not the released, it's on the demo version on the BW88-re-release I believe; something along the lines of: "It really doesn't matter, if I just burst and shatter."
But then again, Brian's words have come up again here and there, stuff like "....in the shade, lemonade...."

BTW, if you can make it through all the Unsurpassed Sessions and enjoyed it, you know you're a BW/BB-hardcore fan!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:26:43 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: August 01, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »

"Buce?"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: August 01, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »

LOL

I know now what I will name my son. It's classy but it has that modern edge to it.

No mas, por favor.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: August 01, 2011, 11:30:12 AM »

LOL

I know now what I will name my son. It's classy but it has that modern edge to it.
In reference to Gary?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: August 01, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »

I was watchin' Endless Harmony recently and on the section about Smile, there's always been footage that I've never seen anywhere else, it's of Van Dyke Parks, where's it from? Is it Smile era? I don't think it is with him having a mustache and what the notebook says: I Wrote Songs for the Beach Boys  Heroes and Villains   Surf's Up  ETC.    then at the bottom it says 1966....anyone know what footage I speak of?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: August 01, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »

I was watchin' Endless Harmony recently and on the section about Smile, there's always been footage that I've never seen anywhere else, it's of Van Dyke Parks, where's it from? Is it Smile era? I don't think it is with him having a mustache and what the notebook says: I Wrote Songs for the Beach Boys  Heroes and Villains   Surf's Up  ETC.    then at the bottom it says 1966....anyone know what footage I speak of?
If you're referring to the footage of him in front of Tower Records on Sunset with Van Dyke in a large hat saying he "wrote songs for the Beach Boys"...That footage is from the 1976 Beach Boys TV special produced by Lorne Michaels, known as "Its OK" or the Dr. Pepper special, which also is where the Brian trying to surf in his bathrobe footage, the '76 Anaheim Stadium footage, the Brian smoking in bed interview, the BW birthday gathering footage with McCartney, Brian/BB's with baptist choir footage and countless other classic bits of BB's footage originate from. 
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1734 on: August 01, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »

If you're referring to the footage of him in front of Tower Records on Sunset with Van Dyke in a large hat saying he "wrote songs for the Beach Boys"...That footage is from the 1976 Beach Boys TV special produced by Lorne Michaels, known as "Its OK" or the Dr. Pepper special, which also is where the Brian trying to surf in his bathrobe footage, the '76 Anaheim Stadium footage, the Brian smoking in bed interview, the BW birthday gathering footage with McCartney, Brian/BB's with baptist choir footage and countless other classic bits of BB's footage originate from. 

The footage from EH he's talking about is not from "It's Ok"...it looks to be silent 16mm footage from the late 60's/early 70's.  Van Dyke does have a mustache in it, which indicates it's not Smile era but perhaps when he collaborated with Brian again in the early 70's.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: August 01, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »

The footage from EH he's talking about is not from "It's Ok"...it looks to be silent 16mm footage from the late 60's/early 70's.  Van Dyke does have a mustache in it, which indicates it's not Smile era but perhaps when he collaborated with Brian again in the early 70's.
Ah soundless...that's probably the Billy Hinsche shot footage of Van Dyke...forgot about that.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: August 01, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »

You're right, that's the footage I was indicating.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: August 01, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »

Don't laugh at me, but for the longest time I thought that was Derek Taylor.  Grin

rogerlancelot
« Reply #1738 on: August 01, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »

Right now I am "Brian's Other Chin" which is a tip of the hat to Laurel & Hardy's "Chumps At Oxford". If you've never seen it, you really should.  Grin
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1739 on: August 01, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »

Incidentally, one of our fine members PM'd me suggesting I become "Rocky Pamplin's Taint" and I found the most awesome avatar for it!!! But I'll restrain myself.....
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: August 01, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »

Incidentally, one of our fine members PM'd me suggesting I become "Rocky Pamplin's Taint" and I found the most awesome avatar for it!!! But I'll restrain myself.....
Where's your avatar from?
I've never seen it before

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: August 01, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »

Right now I am "Brian's Other Chin" which is a tip of the hat to Laurel & Hardy's "Chumps At Oxford". If you've never seen it, you really should.  Grin
I love Laurel and Hardy! I have a U.K. only 22 dvd set of everything they ever did when they worked for Hal Roach. It has every silent film, and "talkie". I love them so much that I bought myself a new dvd player that plays in PAL format, just for that box set.  Grin

rogerlancelot
« Reply #1742 on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »

Where's your avatar from?
I've never seen it before

I found it in one of my old hard drives titled "74D". I assumed it was a photo of a shaved Brian circa 1974. Here's a bigger copy here if anyone can identify it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-g1-Qz1Nyfpk/TjcPZuw7G5I/AAAAAAAAAIU/O7K0Jxn1zvw/s1600/74D.jpg

It's not very pretty...

Shocked
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »

Actually, that's a photo from the SMiLE sessions.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: August 01, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »

'Bruce Johnstones Right Nipple' just rocked for me!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1745 on: August 01, 2011, 10:42:20 PM »

Are you sure? Looks kind of obese and perhaps very ill here.

Other Anon: That was pretty cool!

Afro
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: August 01, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »

Afro
I thought I remembered MBE once telling me that the picture was from the SMiLE sessions, and Brian was just doing a weird face. I can put my chin down to my chest and look the same way.

How about Stan Love's Anal Fissure?  Evil

rogerlancelot
« Reply #1747 on: August 01, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »

Afro
I thought I remembered MBE once telling me that the picture was from the SMiLE sessions, and Brian was just doing a weird face. I can put my chin down to my chest and look the same way.

How about Stan Love's Anal Fissure?  Evil

Working on the Stan Love bit.

Evil

But can anybody positively date this photo of Brian?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: August 01, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »

The enlarged version of that picture looks like it's a digital screen cap from a film. It has an old silent movie feel.  LOL

MBE
« Reply #1749 on: August 01, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »

Smile era in the David Leaf book.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx