gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681030 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 01:28:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Second Favorite Band Next to the Beachboys  (Read 50563 times)
SBonilla
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2012, 04:03:55 AM »

Sparks
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2012, 04:09:57 AM »

Grizzly Bear
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2012, 04:18:05 AM »

America.  Not everyone gets to see their top two favorites on the same bill. Loved it the several times I saw them open for The Beach Boys.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2012, 04:36:21 AM »

XTC, Jellyfish,  a-ha!
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2012, 04:47:30 AM »

XTC, Jellyfish,  a-ha!

a-ha are my favourite band alongside the Beach Boys, good shout, Sir.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2012, 06:40:24 AM »

Can't fault a-ha.
Pal Waaktaar - Savoy ,  song writer extraordinaire.
The albums, Minor Earth (2000), Lifelines (2002), Foot of the Mountain (2009) are just, well...  great stuff!
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »

America.  Not everyone gets to see their top two favorites on the same bill. Loved it the several times I saw them open for The Beach Boys.

Lucky you!  That would have been fantastic  Smiley
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2012, 07:09:23 AM »

Can't fault a-ha.
Pal Waaktaar - Savoy ,  song writer extraordinaire.
The albums, Minor Earth (2000), Lifelines (2002), Foot of the Mountain (2009) are just, well...  great stuff!

Agreed. Unfairly dismissed because of their early image (where have I heard that before?) even though their first 2 albums were pop masterpieces in themselves. And Foot of the Mountain may well be the finest album I've heard from the last decade, plus it gets me real emotional since it's their final album. Top band, top band.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »

At this moment it's either the Doors, Bob Dylan, or Coldplay (*waits for the collective gasp from fellow posters* lol).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2012, 08:47:52 AM »

I f*cking hate Queen.  Love Elliott Smith, though

:O what's wrong with Queen?! Great lyrics, vocals, interesting arrangements and electrifying live shows - what's not to love?! That being said, I have to cut a little slack as you are an Elliott Smith fan!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »

Yknow who I hate? Radiohead. Theyre so pretentious, I just cant listen to them. To be fair, this is going from an oasis fan but oh god thom york sucks
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »

Yknow who I hate? Radiohead. Theyre so pretentious, I just cant listen to them. To be fair, this is going from an oasis fan but oh god thom york sucks

OH man have you read that quote by Thom about his song Street Spirit? You'd think that he'd written the greatest, most saddest song of all time and you're a puppy if you don't "get" it.

No mas, por favor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »

The Misfits, T. Rex, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Animal Collective, Sunset Rubdown, Broken Social Scene, and yes, Radiohead. and if you don't listen to a band because people in the band say stupid things you shouldn't listen to any band ever. Especially the Beach Boys.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »

Pretentious =/= stupid

No mas, por favor.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »

gah! I am by no means a Radiohead-head but "Exit Music for  a Film" is one of the most beautiful songs ever! And pretty much all of In Rainbows! Come on!

There is some music that I love and connect with so much that I can't help but learn everything I possibly can about it and the people that produced it. Radiohead is absolutely not one of those, but the music speaks for itself, imo.

And yeah a lot of their fans are drippy deebees but that can be ignored, right?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »

I used to really like Radiohead up until Amnesiac, which was their first record that I thought was a little boring. Didn't pay much attention to what came afterwards...

Still I have to say that when Kid A came out in 2000 it was an incredibly exciting record for its time and it probably still holds up today.

For some reason my favorite album of theirs has always been The Bends.
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »

NRBQ

atta boy!

There are some really interesting bands listed here, great responses guys.

For me: NRBQ, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead.

The band that I've probably spent even more time and money on than the beach boys would be.......Widespread Panic. Saw them for the first time when I was 17 in the summer of '93 and saw them another 70 or so times up to 2002 when Michael Houser died. Probably seen them 6 or 7 times since.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »

it feels great to see how many of you enjoy radiohead Smiley it took me quite a while to understand their music but once i did i became extremely addicted to everything by them...let's just say their music isn't for everyone.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »

My top three bands (in no particular order) are The Beatles, The Searchers, and The Hollies. Being a (somewhat) recent BB/BW fanatic, I'm not sure where I would place them. Probably Top Five though  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »

it feels great to see how many of you enjoy radiohead Smiley it took me quite a while to understand their music but once i did i became extremely addicted to everything by them...let's just say their music isn't for everyone.

It took me a while to understand it too but once I did I had the opposite reaction and I've virtually never listened to them again.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2012, 05:49:05 PM »

It took me a while to understand it too but once I did I had the opposite reaction and I've virtually never listened to them again.
wow :/ why?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »

Because there really is no substance to their music, which is fine usually but not when it masquerades as being something that does have substance. I find Radiohead to be empty, cold, emotionless, trifling, and silly and all of this is exacerbated by the fact that they take it so seriously.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »

Stones/Moodies/Kinks/Velvets
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »

Stones/Moodies/Kinks/Velvets
Where are the ramones? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »

I put them up there equal to the Beach Boys as the two greatest bands of all-time Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx