gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 06:03:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 37: 6/24 Nikon Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh, NY  (Read 45594 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 08:21:25 PM »

Mike really didn't want to do Our Prayer and he got pissed at the initial rehearsals for the tour that it was being practiced.
Glad to see Al get a win for Our Team. Smiley

We should probably look into that because I can't recall Mike being pissed at anything, especially something trivial like a song choice.  The guy is a mellow dude and I doubt would waste a iota on being "pissed" at something pretty trivial.  If he was reluctant or apprehensive to do it, that is a possibility but pissed...don't know about that.

That info is from someone who was AT a rehearsal and saw some stuff.

I find it somewhat interesting that a person posting here reported that at a sound check, Melinda Wilson seemed to be pacing anxiously during a run through of the ending of "Sail On, Sailor" that pitted Scott Totten's version of it versus Darian's example of how it was done on the Brian tours.  When the poster shouted out "Do it that way!" in favor of the Darian version, Melinda said "Thank you!" to the person yelling that.  It made me wonder if Melinda was getting involved in the musical creative differences between the Mike and Brian camps.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:23:35 PM by KittyKat » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »

Mike really didn't want to do Our Prayer and he got pissed at the initial rehearsals for the tour that it was being practiced.

We should probably look into that because I can't recall Mike being pissed at anything, especially something trivial like a song choice.  The guy is a mellow dude and I doubt would waste a iota on being "pissed" at something pretty trivial.  If he was reluctant or apprehensive to do it, that is a possibility but pissed...don't know about that.

Um, who?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »

Um, who?

A friend of mine. Not gonna mention his name.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 08:27:53 PM »

, Melinda said "Thank you!" to the person yelling that.  It made me wonder if Melinda was getting involved in the musical creative differences between the Mike and Brian camps.

Well, to be fair, Brian doesn't need Melinda to push music choices especially when the other co-director of the group across from Scott Totten is Paul Von Mertens.  So he very much knows what Brian and the band can do and is probably the one initiating the song choices over Melinda.
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

Wow! Wish the Atlanta show had been later in the tour, with all these deep tracks being performed live. Thanks for the vid!

That's exactly how I feel!  I was at the Atlanta show and at the time I was grateful I was catching them so early, because I felt there was a chance the wheels could fly off this whole thing and the tour wouldn't finish.

Now, it's killing me that the setlists have gotten so amazing as the tour has progressed. I would have LOVED to have seen some of the better sets.

I now think the live DVD of the tour should include a performance of every song they end up doing, even if they have to use video from a dozen different shows to make it happen.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »

I'd be surprised if she wasn't involved, based on what is written here on occasion.

If Mike Love is opposed to including Our Prayer in the set, he is a fool.  This concert tour is a celebration of the Beach Boys entire career, and Our Prayer is one of those rarely heard masterpieces that is proof of the artistic and vocal skill of the group.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »

I'd be surprised if she wasn't involved, based on what is written here on occasion.

If Mike Love is opposed to including Our Prayer in the set, he is a fool.  This concert tour is a celebration of the Beach Boys entire career, and Our Prayer is one of those rarely heard masterpieces that is proof of the artistic and vocal skill of the group.

Well, obviously, he got over it. So lets enjoy this moment!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »

In the recent Rolling Stones article, the writer speaks of Brian telling Mike that his family thinks they should make some changes to the setlist.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »

In the recent Rolling Stones article, the writer speaks of Brian telling Mike that his family thinks they should make some changes to the setlist.

I bet it's Dash.  He looks like a Smile-phile.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2012, 09:28:29 PM »

Maybe Brian said "his family" as a ploy to keep himself off the hot seat. That way, if Mike gets mad about the setlist request Brian won't be the target of his anger.
virsago
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »

Just got home.  It was an excellent show.  I was kind of put off at first because the beginning seemed to lack energy, but things picked up as the crowd became more into it. Disappointingly enough, the person to get the most applause was John Stamos.  Luckily, he was only limited to "Be True to Your School" (which got the most applause, somehow) and the encore.  For "Kokomo", the audience would applaud every time he appeared on the screens surrounding the stage.  Seems like the casual concertgoer has their priorities mixed up.

Highlights for me were "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Our Prayer"/"Heroes and Villains".  Brian sounded like he was channeling his old self for the beginning of "Please Let Me Wonder", but slipped back into his current voice shortly after.  Either way, it was amazing, but "Our Prayer"/"Heroes and Villains" took me by surprise.  I was hoping for "Gee" after "Our Prayer", but I'll take it.  The Dennis and Carl tributes were also great, and they work so well in the context of the concert.  I was happy to hear "Pet Sounds", but thought David could have done a better job with the lead guitar.  The spotlight was on him, and he seemed to put just the minimum amount of effort in.  Maybe this will get better as the tour goes on.  I was disappointed to not hear "This Whole World" or "Darlin'", the latter of which I was really happy to see had been added to the group's tour line-up recently.  "Marcella" was back, at least.

I think the most heartbreaking part of the show was seeing Brian in action for the first time.  He was "on" for the first set and into the show, but all of the Brian-centric songs in the second set seemed to tire him out, such that he didn't bother playing the bass he strapped on for the encore.  I didn't notice how, but during "Fun, Fun, Fun", the bass was removed and he was left awkwardly standing on the stage, waiting for the song to end.  It seems to be a miracle that he has managed to stay on the tour for so long, because you definitely get a sense of him not wanting to be there.

Overall, it was an excellent show.  They played so many songs so well that just the first set would have been enough, and it's impossible to expect Brian to be in top form at any show, so it's hard to be picky.  I hope they play here again, but I'm not holding out any hope, given the nature of the tour.
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »

Just back as well. Such a great show. Agreed with the above. I wasn't too pleased with the quality of TWGMTR, but I think since it's newer, and not something that's been under their skin for the past 50 or so years, it just needs more time to tighten up.

Was happy for Our Prayer. I had a feeling it was coming when they played the bell tones for the opening chord, but I couldn't get my camera out fast enough. I caught it on video from the second bar in, and I kept recording through Heroes, so I'll post that up soon. I also got Getcha Back on tape with David on lead, which was pretty good. And I got Pet Sounds, because I didn't think there was a video of it yet.

I enjoyed everything. Please Let Me Wonder was a high light. Brian was doing this cool little vocal difference, can't place it right now, but it rocked. Bruce sounded great on Disney Girls, and of course Al was the most consistent. I was at the first night of the Beacon Theatre shows, so I missed Add Some music, so I was happy to hear it, but they didn't do Darlin', which I was looking forward to. Great times, great times. Wish I had money to see them in Jersey Wednesday as well, but I'll have to wait for their tour next year (yeah, I'm calling it...the tour to promote the rock and roll album...or the tour to fund new boats). Peace
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »

Wow! Wish the Atlanta show had been later in the tour, with all these deep tracks being performed live. Thanks for the vid!

Indeed.

Wanna carpool to Virginia Beach?  Grin

(not kidding at all)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »

That's exactly how I feel!  I was at the Atlanta show and at the time I was grateful I was catching them so early, because I felt there was a chance the wheels could fly off this whole thing and the tour wouldn't finish.

Now, it's killing me that the setlists have gotten so amazing as the tour has progressed. I would have LOVED to have seen some of the better sets.

I now think the live DVD of the tour should include a performance of every song they end up doing, even if they have to use video from a dozen different shows to make it happen.

me, you, and Emdeeh! let's do this thing
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 11:03:27 PM »

Here's my vid of Our Prayer into Heroes and Villains. Not the best, but my iPhone is trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkZukA1vnc&feature=plcp
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 11:16:56 PM »

And Getcha Back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZzemuWc320
Forshorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »

The show was triumphant. I liked the mix of songs, spanning every era of their career and including a bit of '80s. I can live without "Marcella." But the band sounded polished with dense, beautiful harmonies. "Disney Girls" was show-stopping and "Heroes and Villains" was great. I was a bit worried about Brian; he looked pale and never smiled. His vocals were a bit shaky in the beginning, but he seemed to warm up. Al had a great night and "Cottonfields" was a lovely choice--as well as "Help Me Rhonda" and the other songs he sang. Mike was a bit more low key than before, but led the band well and sounded spot-on on the songs he sings - the surf and car ones, and others. I missed "Caroline, No" and "Warmth of the Sun." But it was euphoric.

Only one complaint - a bit Foskett-centric at times. Why can't Al or Bruce sing more falsettos? On "Don't Worry, Baby" the boys were like Jeffrey's backup band.
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 11:48:01 PM »

Here's my vid of Our Prayer into Heroes and Villains. Not the best, but my iPhone is trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkZukA1vnc&feature=plcp

Hey apparently you were right near me...check out my vid from upthread

....and a thought about Getcha Back, you have the two leads onstage, but two other people are singing their parts...what's the point of even doing it?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:52:21 PM by dirwuf » Logged
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »

Crazy. I was the mid 20s guy with longer hair singing along with the tunes. Small world. Love it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2012, 12:09:15 AM »

I don't get why Brian doesn't sing the "I leave her, you leave him" part at the end.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2012, 12:10:59 AM »

Now, I'm assuming Heroes and Villains followed Our Prayer?

Yep...but not seamlessly

No "Gee" in between?

dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »

Now, I'm assuming Heroes and Villains followed Our Prayer?

Yep...but not seamlessly

No "Gee" in between?

Nope...there was no attempt to play them "together", they waited for the applause to die down and then counted in for Heroes...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:17 AM »

Unbelievable ! Prayer ! A little shaky but that will change the more they'll do it.

If Mike really has a problem with it, I don't understand. Smile was a recent hit album for the boys and he got his "Getcha back" in there so wtf ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2012, 04:39:26 AM »

David and Al are kickin' it on Getcha Back.

Also..... OURPRAYER! DAMN!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2012, 05:13:11 AM »

me, you, and Emdeeh! let's do this thing

I'd do it if I could.  But budget, work and family obligations make it impossible.  Angry

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx