gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680981 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 07:48:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did Brian quit playing bass?  (Read 45101 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:03:52 PM »

I was wondering if anybody knows why Brian quit playing bass onstage. Or rather, "regularly" on stage. He played bass as his main instrument up untill 1965-6, when he quit touring.   Then played  keyboards when he joined the group in hawaii in 1967. I'm not sure, but I think he played piano when he briefly took over for Mike in 1970.   He played the keyboards when he joined the group for the Whiskey shows. I think that when he rejoined the group in 1976, he sat at a keyboard for the first half dozen shows. But then, the bass was his "main" instrument again untill I think about 1979. Since 1979, the piano and keyboards seem to be his "main" instrument for live concerts. Well, today the keyboard that he sits at for shows is most likely unplugged, but the average fan doesn't know that. I was just curios why it seems that Brian has gradually given up the bass. I mean, he began his career primarily as a bass player. My other question is, does he ever still play bass in the studio? What was the last studio recording that Brian played a bass on?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »

The situation is more complicated.

On Surfin', he played the drums. Al played bass. Live until 1964, and on the Chicago shows in 1965 and one Ann Arbor show in 1966, he played bass. In Hawaii, he played mostly keyboards but did play bass on Sloop John B. In 1970 he played keys. In 1976-77 he played mostly keys, usually getting on bass for Back Home and Surfer Girl. By 1978 he played bass for most, if not all of the shows. By the end of the 1970s, he was strictly on keyboards until 1983, when he alternated again. Of course, nowadays when he's live, neither his bass nor his keyboard is plugged in. And you can tell he's not playing the correct basslines either - note the constant strumming of the root.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »

Not true. Both the bass and keyboard are plugged in -- Brian has soloed on piano, and his bass has been clearly audible at concerts. The bass has always been doubled, though, so he's playing a very rudimentary part, as Bob Lizik or someone else plays the more complicated bits. I saw him -- and heard that bass playing -- live, so I'm a firsthand witness to this. (I'm not saying he was any good, mind you -- he just strummed root notes, as you mentioned.)

There is a lot of misunderstanding of Brian and the keyboard at his concerts. For the first year or so of his touring, the keyboard was not plugged in -- there were audience videotapes, and he was simply miming playing the piano.

But at a certain point -- it was the Pet Sounds tour, I think, or possibly a year later -- he pretty much stopped miming, and moved over to hand gestures. But that meant that he would occasionally actually play keys, often on "In My Room," or something along those lines.

Eventually, in the Smile tour, he featured on keys on a handful of songs -- Wind Chimes, the intro to Marcella, and In My Room or Surfer Girl (IIRC). But most of the time he simply doesn't play.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:38:51 PM by claymcc » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »

The bass has always been doubled, though, so he's playing a very rudimentary part, as Bob Lizik or someone else plays the more complicated bits. I saw him -- and heard that bass playing -- live, so I'm a firsthand witness to this. (I'm not saying he was any good, mind you -- he just strummed root notes, as you mentioned.)
Just for the sake of accuracy/analcy (tm), the live-show bass parts aren't doubled. Doubling is two instruments doing the same part. As you note, in his concerts, Brian is playing root notes and the other bassist is playing the (more complicated) true bass parts. So it isn't doubled, it's just two parts.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »

It would actually be interesting to compile a list of studio recordings Brian actually played bass on.  I bet it would be surprisingly short.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »

The situation is more complicated.

On Surfin', he played the drums. Al played bass. Live until 1964, and on the Chicago shows in 1965 and one Ann Arbor show in 1966, he played bass. In Hawaii, he played mostly keyboards but did play bass on Sloop John B. In 1970 he played keys. In 1976-77 he played mostly keys, usually getting on bass for Back Home and Surfer Girl. By 1978 he played bass for most, if not all of the shows. By the end of the 1970s, he was strictly on keyboards until 1983, when he alternated again. Of course, nowadays when he's live, neither his bass nor his keyboard is plugged in. And you can tell he's not playing the correct basslines either - note the constant strumming of the root.
Ok, I'll alter my question slightly. Sometime 1983, it seems that Brian has just stuck to keyboards, MOST of the time. Why is that? Is he just more comfortable sitting behind a piano/keyboard? A few years ago, I read somewhere on the internet that Brian no longer has the ability to "actively" play the bass(i.e. something other than rudimentary strumming). I know that in the 1980's Brian would play bass on occasion, but he seems to have decided on piano or keyboards as his main instrument.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »

Ok, let's break it down like this: In 1963-4ish, the average fan knew that Carl was the lead guitar player, Mike was the singer, Al was the rhythm guitar player, Dennis played drums, and Brian was the bass player. That is what the credits read on the original albums(at least I think so), and this is how the band looked on the front cover of their 1964 concert album. So, to the fan that doesn't know any better, Brian "used" to be a bass player but has seemingly given it up for good.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:44:07 PM »

Luther -- Quite so. Thanks.

And Jay -- I think it's mainly because Brian played bass out of necessity. The band needed a bassist. His central instrument as a composer and in studio settings has always been the piano. Once Brian stopped touring, he lost his chops on the bass. He regained some skill in the late 70s, but again it was mainly for live settings. I don't think he's ever claimed great proficiency as a bassist, and if he's not required to play it onstage, I don't think he thinks about it much.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:48:24 PM by claymcc » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »

Interesting point, claymcc.  Smiley

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 05:51:48 AM »

I rememebr reading in Carlin's book that Brian wanted to play bass in the later 70s but Carl wouldn't let him.
Interestingly iirc Brian played mostly bass on the Australia-show where Carl is "loaded" that circulates on DVD....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 07:00:28 AM »

I think in the early days he played bass out of necessity, as previously mentioned. From my point of view, once there were backing musicians on stage (and Brian was increasingly uncomfortable on stage), it became a lot easier to hide behind a piano and contribute when he felt more engaged.

On the other hand, if a bass player misses a note, the whole band is going to sound unbalanced. That's one of the troubles of playing the bass; no one notices generally if you're playing well, but they'll sure notice if you're not!  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 07:05:25 AM »

Yes, Brian's "instrument of choice" has always been the piano.  When Al rejoined the group in '63, their lineup for studio sessions would be Brian on piano, Carl (and Dave until he left) on guitars, Dennis on drums, and Al on bass.  When Dave left, Carl would play rhythm guitar on the basic track & overdub the lead guitar.  Yet they would still perform live with Brian on bass, and Carl & Al on guitars.  There were a few exceptions, when Brian would play bass on records ("Dance, Dance, Dance", "Girl Don't Tell Me", "Sherri She Needs Me") and Al would play guitar ("Dance, Dance, Dance", "The Girl From NYC"), and sometimes where Brian would play piano & overdub the bass ("Then I Kissed Her"), or Al would play bass & overdub guitar ("You're So Good To Me"), and on the "Party!" album, Al played acoustic guitar with Carl throughout, while Brian and Bruce alternated on bass.  

Incidentally, Brian's keyboard wasn't "unplugged" on the '99 tour, either...just muted when he pawed at it during songs.  At the Wiltern show in L.A. that October, I saw Brian play a single note on his keyboard to get the pitch for his opening note on "Barbara Ann", and I heard his keyboard quite clearly on that one note.  

And yes, from late '77 throughout all of '78, Brian was on bass for a good 90% of the show, despite Carl's protestations.  Carl apparently got his way in '79, and Brian returned to the piano.  

I have two ideas on why Brian doesn't play much bass THESE days...(1) he's obviously more comfortable sitting down & singing, and no one seems to sit onstage at rock shows these days except the drummer and sometimes keyboard players, and (2) for the same reason he doesn't play much keyboard these days...he's concentrating on his singing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »

And yes, from late '77 throughout all of '78, Brian was on bass for a good 90% of the show, despite Carl's protestations.

At the first Beach Boys' concert I ever saw, in June 1978, Brian came out and OPENED THE SHOW on a brown Fender bass. I almost had a heart attack! I really wasn't a sophisticated enough listener to tell how competent he was playing.

What I do remember though was Brian, smoking a cigarette, holding it in his right hand/fingers - while still strumming/picking the bass! Shocked
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »

I don't think Brian was ever much of a bassist: at least I've never seen him play anything that a moderately competent teenager in a garage band couldn't play. That said, he is a great musician and certainly played what he's playing well enough to do what the instrument had to do. I think the previous posts were spot on: he's always been a pianist (though not exactly virtuosic there, either--he was always more composer/arranger/singer/all-around musician than player) who played bass when bass had to be played. So if he didn't have to, he didn't. I doubt there's an inner Percy Heath trying to bust out, stifled these last years.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 10:19:48 AM »

I don't think Brian was ever much of a bassist: at least I've never seen him play anything that a moderately competent teenager in a garage band couldn't play. That said, he is a great musician and certainly played what he's playing well enough to do what the instrument had to do. I think the previous posts were spot on: he's always been a pianist (though not exactly virtuosic there, either--he was always more composer/arranger/singer/all-around musician than player) who played bass when bass had to be played. So if he didn't have to, he didn't. I doubt there's an inner Percy Heath trying to bust out, stifled these last years.

I agree. He's capable of some basic stuff and the stuff he wrote (and I guess Carl helped him). But he plays with great feel. Compare the BBs live in '64 with '66 when Bruce was playing bass. With Brian they rocked, swinged and had a great all around feel. And afterwards....  Sad
No matter on whcih instruemnt he is, Brian can rock it. At least he could back then

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 10:47:50 AM »

Ok, let's break it down like this: In 1963-4ish, the average fan knew that Carl was the lead guitar player, Mike was the singer, Al was the rhythm guitar player, Dennis played drums, and Brian was the bass player. That is what the credits read on the original albums(at least I think so), and this is how the band looked on the front cover of their 1964 concert album. So, to the fan that doesn't know any better, Brian "used" to be a bass player but has seemingly given it up for good.
This is a bit of a myth, as C-man alludes to in his post below. Yes when they announce the band's instruments before Little Deuce Coupe on the Concert LP and in the Lost Concert film, the lineup you state is what is put forth. But the reality is Al didn't play much guitar(if any) on those first five LPs, and Brian doesn't play much bass after the first two. Dave(not Al) played guitar along with Carl until the fifth LP... Brian played way more piano than bass, and Al played way more bass than guitar. Brian's primary instrument has been piano all along, Al's primary instrument was bass in the studio until about ASL and he still played bass after that quite a bit. I think he was a much better bass player than Brian.  And Al also played bass live in '63 when Brian stayed home, which was often, with Carl and Dave playing the two guitar role. But when Brian did play, Al sat out the concerts entirely until Dave left in late '63. I think the main reason Brian played bass live in the early days was to get his voice out in front and so he could lead the band from the front of the stage, i don't think it had anything to do with his ability or desire to play bass.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 10:56:56 AM »

Speaking of this topic..when is the last time anyone has seen Bruce play bass? Or even Al for that matter?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 11:25:44 AM »

I love threads like this.

I posted this somewhere before, but I once saw (not in my possession, just saw at someone else's house) a video of the band in '78 and not only is Brian playing bass for the whole show, but he's running around playing rockstar the whole time, much more a part of the backing band than the frontline.  I was impressed that he played all the bass parts right, including the complicated runs on WIBN.  They were dumbed down a little, but he played the right parts. I think Carlin's statement that Brian wanted to play bass but Carl wouldn't let him -- which surprised me when I read it -- may well be true.  It looked like Brian was enjoying himself on the bass and it may be that he enjoyed the challenge and it kept him interested.  But in Carl's defense, as someone else posted, the bass is the one instrument where you have to be absolutely on all the time or the band will sound really bad.  If Brian's performance was spotty, and I'd bet it was, I can understand why Carl would want him off that key position.  For that matter I'm surprised Dennis hung in on the drums as long as he did, but his technique -- simple beats, heavy on the 2 and 4 -- mask a world of technical sins because if you have a solid backbeat, a lot of the other stuff doesn't matter, one reason why Dennis Wilson is truly one of my drumming idols.

Bruce's diminished role in the touring band is something that has long mystified me, because he was an integral part of the band in the late '60s and the guy is a monster musician by all accounts.  I can understand him not wanting to play bass much because again, he's not much of a bass player per se, but I notice that when he's mimed bass parts in videos  and lip sync appearances in later days (e.g. "Sumahama" in '79, "Getcha Back" in '85, "Kokomo" in '88 "Problem Child" in 90), he's always playing the right bass lines even though he didn't play on the records or even play them live.  That always impressed me.

I think it's true that Brian CAN play whatever instrument he wants to if he has the time and interest, but as someone else posted, he has other fish to fry.  Certainly when he was pulling together those tracks in the '70s it was much easier to go over to a moog and play the left hand bass line than it was to transpose those complicated lines to a bass guitar (or teach them to someone else, for that matter).
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 12:30:03 PM »

One of the most interesting Brian-bass moments for me is the big sing-a-long at the tribute show from 2001. He's up with the bass, and the band launches into Fun, Fun, Fun -- which is not a song he ever plays bass on onstage (he has practically always limited himself to Surfer Girl and Barbara Ann). And you can see that he spaces out from the crowd and is just focusing on the bass, and actually plays the Fun, Fun, Fun part (well, part of it, at least). You can see that the bass actually interests him most at that point, because it's this somewhat unexpected challenge, but he also remembers what to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND6hjCsbpXQ

Make sure to watch through till the end -- everyone is dancing around, and he's watching his fingers.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:34:47 PM by claymcc » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 12:43:41 PM »

I always enjoyed the 1979 Midnight Special, where Brian plays bass on "Rock And Roll Music" (a great version). Brian always LOOKED good with a bass strapped on.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »

... not a song he ever plays bass on onstage (he has practically always limited himself to Surfer Girl and Barbara Ann).

errr... "Surfin' USA", maybe ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 02:17:42 PM »

Good call, Andrew. I believe you're right. It was originally SG and BA, but it looks like the bass encores have switched to BA and SUSA.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »

I think I read somewhere that he played bass on a couple tracks of Brian Wilson Presents Smile.

Is this correct?

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 07:44:08 PM »

I'd heard he played keyboards on a couple of tracks.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »

I think I read somewhere that he played bass on a couple tracks of Brian Wilson Presents Smile.

Is this correct?

Hmmm...not that I know of, and I'd remember something like that.  Smiley
Someone, I think it was Sean Lennon, asked Brian awhile back (maybe around the "Imagination" album days?) why he doesn't play bass anymore (or hadn't in awhile, at that time), and he said the last time he tried, he got a blister on his thumb, so he gave up!

I read in David Leaf's book a quote from someone who said Brian's practice for going back on the road with the Boys in '77 was to plug in the bass and play along with a Ronettes album!

I asked Bruce earlier this year why he doesn't play bass anymore, and he basically said 'cause he's not that good at it.  He also said he concentrates most of all on singing, therefore he doesn't pay as much attention to his keyboard live...except (I noticed at this year's Omaha symphony shows) on the "Pet Sounds" songs ("You Still Believe In Me", "Here Today", "Sloop", "GOK", "WIBN"), on which he played pretty solidly...also noticed he played the sole piano part on "Be True To Your School", while Tim Bonhomme played only organ & synth parts.  Anyways, in case no one else has noticed, Bruce still NAILS the falsetto parts on "Surf City" and "Fun Fun Fun".  He absolutely WAILS on those.  

Finally, back to Brian playing the bass...Gary Usher (in one of the two Stephen McParland books on the "Wilson Project") is quoted as saying Brian brought his bass over to the studio one time and played bass on a track, and Domenic Priore printed a photo of Brian playing the Fender bass in the studio during the '87-'88 solo album sessions in one of the Dumb Angel Gazettes.  Maybe those are the last times he played bass in the studio.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx