gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 07:13:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loose Windscreen and Alan Brightmore  (Read 10674 times)
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 07:37:34 AM »

and thanks for elaborating, I've been thinking aloud on this too, and only too glad I am not dreaming, you know its kind of reassuring. I am really interested in finding out Brian's legacy in other forms than the straight harmony lines. Peter Whitfield wrote a great article about Jellyfish and Brian Wilson on the Blueboard the other day. I tried to convince him to post it here, but failed Sad

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 11:52:10 AM »

She's The One is the easiest influence to spot - its the Bo Diddly beat. I know what you mean about Irish dancing cos we Brits (- in its larger sense)  do share a common feel for the diddly-diddly music - but not the Bo Diddly! Thats african (as Bruce himself says on a boot somewhere that I've almost forgotten about - anyone know which one?).

I've never thought Bruce was overly influenced by the Beach Boys other than in a general growing up way, he's only done the odd cover live (When I grow up..) whereas his influences normally show - Spector was the big one, and as he always says, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan. WIth a fair dose of West Side Story and Robert Mitchum.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 02:00:10 PM »

The last 2 days I have been plagued by the idea of this post. I have been listening intensely to the song "Born to Run" and have made up a story in my head that it is musically inspired by the uptempo songs of Pet Sounds amongst otehr influences.

By this I mean that usually, people refer to Brian's influence in the harmony structures. Obviouslynot so in the case of Born to Run. But compositionally, it is, and maybe it is a well know fact. I havent got the foggiest, but. Take Wouldn't it be Nice, That's not me, I'm Waiting for the Day, Sloop John B, I know there's an answer. Pet Sounds, its all in the use of the drums and horns. Clarence's sax is very like the bass harmonica use throughout Pet Sounds, the bells, even the use of the bass at times. Uncanny, but there you go. of course what got me thinking was the fact that after all Bruce tokk 6 months to wrtie this song, the time it took Brian to do GV.

Watching this DVD is so revealing about the idiosyncratic interpretation Bruce gives to rock & roll. I even hear so much influence of Irish music in this album. Listen to "She's the One", can you not see the Irish dancing that can be done on that, all dictated by the piano rythm, supported by the drums later on in the song? No to mention the huge Van Morrisson feel.

Flame away!

COOL!
I don't really hear a BB influence, it seems Spector AND the Raspberries are the big influences, Bruce was a big 'Berries fan, he even nicks the drum intro from I Wanna Be With You for it.
But I love your thoughts.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 04:12:44 PM »

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 11:19:03 PM »

BASTARD!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 09:24:25 AM »

BASTARD!

Just had to throw in my two cents.  Back to your studies Smiley
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 04:23:21 PM »

Chris, this picture doesn't please me either. I am not amused.

Oh wait.....

I read somewhere that even post rockers have sense of humour.

Chris D.
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 04:27:28 PM »

Oh wait.....

I knew there was a reason for your Colin Mochrie bumper stickers.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 04:34:44 PM »

Oh wait.....

And tell me now, how on Earth am I s'posed to know what these are? I guesseu I weel haveu too googeul eeet.

Chris D.
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 04:36:23 PM »

Oh wait.....

And tell me now, how on Earth am I s'posed to know what these are? I guesseu I weel haveu too googeul eeet.

We're the new thread killers, aren't we?
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 04:38:51 PM »

WOW, great name for a band! The thread Killers, reminds me of my one and only contribution to punk rock. "Dead Fridge in the Road", I used to jump from a table into these gigantic waders... ah them were de days.

Chris D.
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 04:39:49 PM »

WOW, great name for a band! The thread Killers, reminds me of my one and only contribution to punk rock. "Dead Fridge in the Road", I used to jump from a table into these gigantic waders... ah them were de days.

I think I contributed something to new jack swing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx