gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 04:14:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about the un-used vocals for Don't Talk  (Read 2312 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:46:01 PM »

Is it just Brian's voice on every part or does it include the other boys?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:02:53 PM »

All Brian- although I didn't know that until I heard the overdubs in isolation!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »

Has anyone ever tried editing them in to show how they'd have sounded with the track?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:03:10 PM »

Has anyone ever tried editing them in to show how they'd have sounded with the track?

Yes I believe someone has done that and they did a decent job if I recall correctly.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:46:13 PM »

They vocals weren't recorded in sync with the original track.... the vocals are at a lot faster tempo, so in order to sync them, they need to be digitally stretched.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 02:14:55 AM »

They vocals weren't recorded in sync with the original track.... the vocals are at a lot faster tempo, so in order to sync them, they need to be digitally stretched.

Simply stretching them isn't enough, because if you just stretch the whole snippet it doesn't match the rest of the song. You have to stretch some parts of the snippet more than others...  Cool

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 07:35:54 AM »

i just accept what they did on the PS Live album as adding them back in.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »

I heard the edit someone made and it sounded great...they used it on the second verse I believe and it sounded nice and full...it was glorious!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »

I always thought the un-used vocals were recorded for an intro to the song and that is why they weren't recorded as over dubs over the top of any section of music.  That is, unless we aren't getting the full story.  Perhaps BW had some music track in his headphones he was overdubbing too, and we just don't have access to that music, either by the choice of someone like Capitol, or because the music has been lost.  I still think it was an intro though, done by itself like the intro of You Still Believe In Me was done by itself and spliced onto the front end.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44:33 AM »

I always thought the un-used vocals were recorded for an intro to the song and that is why they weren't recorded as over dubs over the top of any section of music.  That is, unless we aren't getting the full story.  Perhaps BW had some music track in his headphones he was overdubbing too, and we just don't have access to that music, either by the choice of someone like Capitol, or because the music has been lost.  I still think it was an intro though, done by itself like the intro of You Still Believe In Me was done by itself and spliced onto the front end.

If I had to guess, I think the recording we have is Brian just playing around with the arrangement.  He would often record himself doing all the parts, then the Boys would come in and replicate what he did later.  He was probably trying out the vocal arrangement for placement in the second verse.  Once the strings came into play, he ditched the backing vocals.  It doesn't feel like an intro to me at all...it was very common of Brian to bring in backing vocals on the second verse of his songs ("Wouldn't It Be Nice," "I'm Waiting for the Day," "Sloop John B," etc.)

There most likely wasn't music in his headphones either.  If there had been, we would be able to hear some bleed.  Plus he does a count-in, which wouldn't be necessary if he were singing along to a track. 
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »

I did this as an experiment a few years back. I can email it to anyone who wants to hear how they fit.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx