gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680945 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 02:31:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songwriting credits for Mike Love Not War?  (Read 2956 times)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2009, 03:03:40 AM »

Just been listening to Mike Love Not War, the unreleased solo album by...er, Mike Love.

It's really good!!! I mean, much better than I expected. Shame it's never come out.

I know that he wrote Everyone's in Love with You and Brian's Back, but what about the rest of the songs? Did he write those alone, or did he have a co-writer?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »

10,000 Years Ago he wrote with Dennis, in the 70s.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »

Wouldn't mind "Pisces Brothers" turning up on a Beach Boys reunion album, by the way.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »

Cool Head Warm Heart is apparently a Mike solo composition. Glow Crescent Glow, Daybreak, Too Cruel, and I Don't Wanna Know are First Love songs, all written by Mike solo.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:36:28 PM »

Wouldn't mind "Pisces Brothers" turning up on a Beach Boys reunion album, by the way.

Agree, Pisces Brother and 10,000 Years are the only two songs on the album with any merit - the rest is utter crap. Pisces Brother lends itself to the Beach Boys vocals.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »

Cool Head Warm Heart and Daybreak are alright. But the remakes of EILWY and Brian's Back are pointless.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:35:12 AM »

Mike Love on DLF.TV :

http://dlf.tv/2009/mike-love/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »

Mike has been wearing lots of bling lately.

"It's gonna be fun, fun, fun." - Oh dear... what a strange guy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »

Up to that point I enjoyed the interview. Of course nothing earth shattering, but nice to see him in such a good shape.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »

Up to that point I enjoyed the interview. Of course nothing earth shattering, but nice to see him in such a good shape.

Yes, he's looking fine and I have to say I love his latter-day speaking voice. It sounds sort of rough, but actually really cool.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »

Yes, he's looking fine and I have to say I love his latter-day speaking voice. It sounds sort of rough, but actually really cool.

Wasn't TM Dennis' idea, Michael? *cough*   Roll Eyes

Apart from that, it was a nice interview.... Kinda odd he didn't mention the several million 'shout-outs' to the maharishi he's put in his songs.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »

Why doesn't he just give up on the hats already??!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 01:09:03 PM »

Agree, Pisces Brother and 10,000 Years are the only two songs on the album with any merit - the rest is utter crap. Pisces Brother lends itself to the Beach Boys vocals.
I disagree, I don't think it's utter crap...at least it's no worse than Getting In Over My Head, and it's much better than some of the other Mike Love solo stuff from the eighties, for example. I like that Glow Crescent Moon--I mean, it's cheesy but it's kind of nice, some of the other ones, too.
(I realize that he supposedly did a good unreleased one in the seventies, and I found it once, but my copy's sound is bad enough that I can't listen to it, and I don't care.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »

I like that Glow Crescent Moon...

[koff] "Glow Crescent, Glow"... [koff]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »

THIS Mike I like. Not the cocky asshat boasting that he was Mr. Positivity or shooting daggers at Alan Boyd for even daring to ask about SMiLE.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:03 PM »

I disagree, I don't think it's utter crap...at least it's no worse than Getting In Over My Head, .....

I can pretty well agree with the comparison to GIOMH - the difference being that Brian couldn't care less about the album and put in a performance which refelected that attitude - at least some of the songwriting was stronger than what's on Mike's album. I tried listening to both of them this morning to compare but decided I had better things to do with my time. They really do rate as low points.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »

Yeah, maybe you are right. I usually hear a Beach Boys or related albums and rate it much more highly at first than, say, a month later. I think just the fact that Ive heard something new by the Beach Boys excites me until I realize it blows.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »

I think the best of GIOMH combined with the best of Mike Love Not War could've made a good album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx