gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681277 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi May 31, 2024, 06:56:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Outtakes being played at concerts  (Read 3954 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »

I'm not too savy on what's been played over the years, but I'm surprised a number of album outtakes weren't played in concert before the release of an album. Yeah, Good Vibrations was played in concert before being released as a single, We Got Love was played after the Holland album, deamed an outtake, or even Gettin' Hungry at Hawaii before Smiley was released, Graduation Day on Concert and then prepared for SUmmer Days (i think) but not used, or At the Hop before being dropped from BB 85.

But there are some darn good songs they could have played without knowing if they'd be on the next record, songs like Hard Times, Rollin up to Heaven, Good Timin (original 74/75), Sail on Sailor (original),  or even smile material! I'm just really surprised this didn't happen too often.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 03:15:04 PM »

River Song, I've Got A Friend, You Are So Beautiful, Oakie From Muskogie ... just off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:37:54 PM by TonyW » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »

What about those little snippets in "Good vibrations" ? The "ta-t-tations"-thing and wasn't the long fade they did for example in Knebworth also part of another song they were working on at the time?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 03:39:57 PM »

Was Country Pie ever recorded in studio or intended for an album?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »

Was Country Pie ever recorded in studio or intended for an album?

Yes, was on the Mike Love Celebration album and was performed by the Boys in concert.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 03:49:49 PM »

Thinking about what BW has played live, I thought of the Boogie's back in Town, was In My Car played live before the release? Also, the First Time and This Isn't Love, were they ever intended for an album beyond Live at the Roxy or recorded in the studio? Oh, and Brian played Just a Matter of Time before the BB85 album came out under the title: I'm Lost without You. I remember seeing Brian play Desert Drive before recorded for GIOMH, that always kinda bugged me, because I remembered it being a great song, but not getting to hear it until that album came out.  Oh, and Spirit of Rock and Roll was also played live way before it's due release

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

oh! and the Letter, later intended to be on Wild Honey?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »

"Lady Lynda" in 1977 - two years before L.A. (LIGHT ALBUM).

And at the same time they were playing "Country Pie," which is actually a cover.  King Harvest did the original on their self-titled 2nd album in 1975 (which Carl and Mike sing on the song "Vaea (Vy-Ya)," the song on the album that directly precedes "Country Pie."  It makes sense that the BB's would play it and Celebrations would record it as most of the members of King Harvest became part of the BB touring band and/or Celebration.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »

The Beach Boys reportedly played Dennis' still unreleased "Baby, Baby" from the Poops/Hubba Hubba album during their 1972 fall tour...I don't think it gets any rarer than that!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »

Wow TdHabib, I've never heard of that one

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 12:42:10 AM »

I remember seeing Brian play Desert Drive before recorded for GIOMH

The GIOMH version of "DD" was recorded late 2002, and the earliest live performance I'm aware of (correction welcomed) is July 13th 2004 in Amsterdam, about a month after the album was released.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 04:58:22 AM »

They played Desert Drive when Paley was on tour with them.  They would bring Paley out front for that song, I beleive on the Paul Simon tour.

The GIOMH version of "DD" was recorded late 2002, and the earliest live performance I'm aware of (correction welcomed) is July 13th 2004 in Amsterdam, about a month after the album was released.
XY
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 05:22:25 AM »

Another Denny-outtake performed in the early 70's is "Barbara"
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 05:42:49 AM »

I saw the Beach Boys 4 times from September-December 2002 and the only un released song I heard was "The River" .
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 06:15:02 AM »

They played Desert Drive when Paley was on tour with them.  They would bring Paley out front for that song, I beleive on the Paul Simon tour.

I stand corrected - they played it at the 2001 CWF event. Thanks for pointing that out.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 06:30:37 AM »

"Cool Head, Warm Heart" & "Make Love Not War" and "Postcard from California" & "Drivin'" have been played but they are still unreleased.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 06:43:26 AM »

I stand corrected - they played it at the 2001 CWF event. Thanks for pointing that out.

"Desert Drive" was played in shows before the CWF event. 
If I recall correctly, it made its debut on a concert that was webcasted, and I think it was the Milwaukee show on 29.06.01.
CWF was in October.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 10:38:28 AM »

Cool Head was released on the Hallmark CD a couple of years ago.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »

"Desert Drive" was played in shows before the CWF event. 
If I recall correctly, it made its debut on a concert that was webcasted, and I think it was the Milwaukee show on 29.06.01.
CWF was in October.

I saw Brian at the Tweeter Centre in Chicago on the next night, June 30, 2001 and I was aware that Brian had performed DD the night before, having often listened to the Paley sessions it was a highlight of the show. The Chicago show ended up being on the "A Cork In The Ocean" boot. Link: http://www.giginjapan.com/scan4/bw-cork.htm

I should point out that the concept of the Tweeter Centre actually being in Chicago is false. I flew in from Indonesia (almost exactly half way around the world) the night before. So the day of the show I'm heavily jet lagged and find out that the Tweeter Centre is miles and miles out of town. So I opted for the easy solution and threw money at the problem and paid a taxi an exorbident sum to drive me too the show, wait and then drive me back. Worth every cent!

In 2001 I just never believed Brian would continue touring or that he would ever make it to Australia - how wrong was I?!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:39:36 AM by TonyW » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »

Yeah, i saw DD when he was on tour with Paul Simon, and Andy Paley was with him, he was a good band member, wish they woulda held on to him

~post of the century~
-Mikie

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 05:30:15 AM »

I saw the Beach Boys 4 times from September-December 2002 and the only un released song I heard was "The River" .

Hmmm? 

Also...they've done the "SMiLE" version of "Wonderful", and the "Bicycle Rider" refrain of "H & V", which weren't released at the time (early '70s).
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:29 AM »

Covers and songs from soon-to-be-released albums don't really count as outtakes, do they?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »

That's the first I've heard of that.  Are we talking about Mike & Bruce?
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »

Hmmm? 

Also...they've done the "SMiLE" version of "Wonderful", and the "Bicycle Rider" refrain of "H & V", which weren't released at the time (early '70s).

They also did the Good Vibrations "hum dee dums" section as early as the Australia/New Zealand tour in 78 - maybe even earlier.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx