gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 08:56:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212317 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: February 05, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »

I wonder what happened to those Carnegie Hall 1972 tapes. Would be a stunning live release.

I think a full release of the Carnegie Hall performances would be a great idea.

From what was said – what, a couple of years back? – this may well be more a case of "when" than "if".

If, then I hope 'Wonderbill' will be omitted. That abomination is capable of turning what would otherwise be an excellent box set into a nightmare, for yours truly.

Nah then, me n' thee see eye to eye on many things, but I love Wonderbill. It was a good sign of the times, and the times was good.  I hope they omit nothing.

Agree.  I think "Wonderbill" is one of the highlights of that show.

I respectfully disagree. That chimera of a song makes a transition from the sublime to the atrociously plodding.

Revisionist BBs fan slop!  Great then, GREAT now!!

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »

The ridiculous transition is what makes the song so cool.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »

ainrofilaC ni edaM

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »

I wonder what happened to those Carnegie Hall 1972 tapes. Would be a stunning live release.

From what was said – what, a couple of years back? – this may well be more a case of "when" than "if".

If, then I hope 'Wonderbill' will be omitted. That abomination is capable of turning what would otherwise be an excellent box set into a nightmare, for yours truly.

Nah then, me n' thee see eye to eye on many things, but I love Wonderbill. It was a good sign of the times, and the times was good.  I hope they omit nothing.

Agree.  I think "Wonderbill" is one of the highlights of that show.

I respectfully disagree. That chimera of a song makes a transition from the sublime to the atrociously plodding.
I agree, the two songs don't fit at all. The medley also shows that the flame members didn't fit that well into the BBs.

We respectfully agree to respectfully disagree.

With respect, I also respectfully agree to respectfully disagree respectfully.

Me too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 05, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »

Nah then, me n' thee see eye to eye on many things, but I love Wonderbill. It was a good sign of the times, and the times was good.  I hope they omit nothing.

Agree.  I think "Wonderbill" is one of the highlights of that show.

I agree, the two songs don't fit at all. The medley also shows that the flame members didn't fit that well into the BBs.

We respectfully agree to respectfully disagree.

With respect, I also respectfully agree to respectfully disagree respectfully.

Me too.

I don't disagree.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »

:D
Yes, an uncut release please. Especially because they played songs like Mess of Help and Wild Honey.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #756 on: February 05, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »

Dennis' corner is not going unargued. Rest assured on that.

Thanks Andrew, that's good to know. I don't love Dennis anymore than i do Brian and Carl, however i do find his contribution are often overlooked or trivialised, and more than anyone else he seems to have a lot pure gold awaiting release in the vaults. No way would a Brian song of the quality of 'Carry Me Home' ever be overlooked!

Oh, and Wonderbill is bloody brilliant! Loved it from the first listen! Incredible guitar solo. The contrast between the two songs is fantastic.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 06, 2013, 12:41:35 AM »

ainrofilaC ni edaM

I don't speak Gaelic or Celtic or Welsh. But they make damn fine cheese in Edam. That I do know.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08:02 AM »

Don it says "Made In California" spelt backwards, for reasons only Tansen knows.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 06, 2013, 02:51:25 AM »

Don it says "Made In California" spelt backwards, for reasons only Tansen knows.

Is he into Satanism?  Shocked

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 06, 2013, 05:27:51 AM »

The ridiculous transition is what makes the song so cool.

Absolutely

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 07, 2013, 09:25:44 AM »

Is he into Satanism?  Shocked

Nah, I just wanted to follow the topic (under 'Updated topics', instead of getting emails every time someone replies) Grin

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #762 on: February 13, 2013, 07:42:07 AM »

fxgdf
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:51:25 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 13, 2013, 07:45:07 AM »

A still cruisin/SIP twofer with those extra tracks would make perfect sense.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #764 on: February 13, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »

Sure, but 2-fer is sooooo 2001.   Grin

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #765 on: February 13, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »

Or so 1990, depending on your age.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 13, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »

Or so 1990, depending on your age.
Or 1974 for the warner twofers. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 13, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »

Considering some of the material, its the only way. Grin

modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 14, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »

For the longest time, before finally getting to listen to it, when I saw 'Don't Worry Bill' on the Endless Harmony soundtrack tracklist I was like, "Ah. This is some sort of 'cute' little rewrite of Don't Worry Baby. Bill's probably this radio station DJ.." and my brain trails off as usual. Haha.

And speaking of 2fer: On Spotify (at least Spotify USA, might be a different story for Spotify UK, etc.) they've pulled the 2fer versions and replaced with the 2012 remastered versions of albums.. could just be to avoid confusion between the remasters & the 2fers or a sign that we'll see the 2fer b-sides on MiC (which I think is kind of to be expected and would be much preferable anyway) and so they're clearly out the 'soon to be obsolete' stuff, perhaps.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 14, 2013, 11:01:02 PM »

It would have been really interesting if the beach boys had covered the entire "Don't Worry Bill", instead of just the uptempo part. I think Carl could have really turned that song into their own, and made it a concert favorite. Dennis could have probably done a great job on it too, before his voice changed.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 15, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »

And speaking of 2fer: On Spotify (at least Spotify USA, might be a different story for Spotify UK, etc.) they've pulled the 2fer versions and replaced with the 2012 remastered versions of albums.. could just be to avoid confusion between the remasters & the 2fers or a sign that we'll see the 2fer b-sides on MiC (which I think is kind of to be expected and would be much preferable anyway) and so they're clearly out the 'soon to be obsolete' stuff, perhaps.

Yeah, they've pulled *all* the twofers from Spotify UK, and replaced them with single-disc versions, even of albums not yet rereleased like KTSA.

Also thanks to it falling into the public domain, Spotify now has five or six copies of Surfin' Safari, all with different titles and different record labels. And one copy of that great Beach Boys album "Bob Dylan"...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: February 15, 2013, 12:37:26 AM »

... even of albums not yet rereleased like KTSA.

Think you'll find it was rereleased in 2000 - I distinctly recall writing the liners for it.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 16, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »

Mark London just re-posted the MIC image, with the comment "gettin' closer"!!!!!!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 16, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »

Mark London just re-posted the MIC image, with the comment "gettin' closer"!!!!!!

'T'is a sign! A sign!

“We live in divisive times.”
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 16, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »

... even of albums not yet rereleased like KTSA.

Think you'll find it was rereleased in 2000 - I distinctly recall writing the liners for it.  Grin

Yeah, I meant albums that haven't been reissued as single disc CDs -- they're all showing up on Spotify as single CDs rather than as twofers like they used to.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx