gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681294 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:14:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212761 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »

Oh Christ. Mikes already pissed off millions of fans this year, what's stopping him from doing it again

Millions ? I mean, really, millions ?  Try a couple dozen on the forums and a couple hundred who couldn't read the press release properly. Tops.

Add several thousand Oregon Duck fans he insulted in Eugene this year.  The man has a way!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »

Oh Christ. Mikes already pissed off millions of fans this year, what's stopping him from doing it again

Millions ? I mean, really, millions ?  Try a couple dozen on the forums and a couple hundred who couldn't read the press release properly. Tops.

Add several thousand Oregon Duck fans he insulted in Eugene this year.  The man has a way!

I wonder what rhetorical tactics Chevy Chase fans use these days.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »

Look, let's face it, we can speculate all we like, but i'd be willing to bet serious money that the reason for the delay is thus:

Mike objects to the inclusion of some of the Brian songs (he'll probably use the baffling excuse that he doesn't think they'll serve Brian's reputation well, somewhat forgetting that it aint Brian who's got the reputation issues...);

*yawn*

Mike objects to the number of Dennis songs (if we get WIBNTLA and Carry Me Home then i'll eat my hat, and i'll send photographic evidence too to prove i've done it (again, there'll probably be the baffling excuse that they're 'too down', and most definately not because they're so freakin' good they'd put everyone else's songs from the same period in the shade);

*yawn*

Mike wants more of the 'traditional' Beach Boys 'boy-meets-girl' 'coz that what people connect with' etc. songs, even though there are already a million soddin' releases wherein people can hear those songs;

*yawn yawn f**kity yawn*

Mike wants more sh*te from the '80's;

Are you out of your fucking mind? Also....*yawn*

Bruce agrees with all Mike's objections about the box.

Do you have their tourbus bugged or something? Jesus wept, if you spent this much time and energy on something meaningful we'd have a cure for cancer and the second gunman in the JFK assassination.

If you think i'm wrong, if you think i'm just talking anti-Mike nonsense, then let's bet on it people!

This is just a ploy to keep you from getting a job, isn't it?
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:28:56 PM by RickD » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2012, 11:54:59 PM »

I couldn't make it to the show, what did he say?

A discipline daddy.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2012, 02:36:53 AM »

John, there's a basic truth you have to understand - some folk are just f***wits. They want it ALL and they want it NOW but most of all they want it THEIR WAY. These are the kind of people who, when whisked up to the Pearly Gates and presented with the Key of Heaven by St. Peter himself, would complain about how heavy it was.  Sadly, many of them are Beach Boys 'fans'.

So, because i'd rather they'd played more than 31% of their 'later' material, i'm a f***wit and a 'fan' rather than a fan. Ok, fair enough. Just as well God doesn't actually excist and is entirely a human invention so i won't have to worry about any future Pearly Gate moments...

Christ, if anyone of us are even remotely disappointed by the forthcoming boxset's tracklisting - i.e. if woe betide we were hoping a song would be included and then it isn't - then we'd better keep schtum, otherwise we'll be tarnished as 'fans'.

When I get to see the tracklisting I will state my opinion on the suitable thread. I'm not afraid to be deemed a 'fan' based on my opinion of a box set. If someone here criticises me then good on them. I got insulted on the internet? whoa, my world collapses Ahhh!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2012, 02:41:30 AM »

John, there's a basic truth you have to understand - some folk are just f***wits. They want it ALL and they want it NOW but most of all they want it THEIR WAY. These are the kind of people who, when whisked up to the Pearly Gates and presented with the Key of Heaven by St. Peter himself, would complain about how heavy it was.  Sadly, many of them are Beach Boys 'fans'.

So, because i'd rather they'd played more than 31% of their 'later' material, i'm a f***wit and a 'fan' rather than a fan. Ok, fair enough. Just as well God doesn't actually excist and is entirely a human invention so i won't have to worry about any future Pearly Gate moments...

Christ, if anyone of us are even remotely disappointed by the forthcoming boxset's tracklisting - i.e. if woe betide we were hoping a song would be included and then it isn't - then we'd better keep schtum, otherwise we'll be tarnished as 'fans'.

Come on man. Are you really serious? The Beach Boys reunited in 2012 and played a set featuring songs such as "This Whole World", "Heroes And Villains", "Sail On, Sailor", "Marcella", "Good Timin'", and a bunch of other stuff and you weren't happy with that? Come on. I personally LOVE the late sixties/early seventies version of the band just as much as anybody else, but if you are really disappointed with the fact that they did their big hits (most of which are great) along with that other stuff, well then I feel bad for you. Because there is a lot of great music the guys have made, and I'm glad they did all different parts of the catalog, and not just their "most hip" material.

I think he's saying that its cool with the big hits, but when Don't Back Down (which is NOT a hit) gets added in favour of better 70's stuff then he (and people like him) gets a bit upset. I do  understand him. Many of those early songs sound just the same and to the casual fan they are on their own not that memorable. For this reason alone I would've prefered more post-PS material.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »

Mike: "OK Wembley, who wants to hear Surfin' USA?"
(Crowd erupts)
Mike: "Well f*** you guys. If you want to hear it you should buy a copy of Endless Summer! Ok guys... 1-2-3-4!"
(Band launches into a rip-roaring rendition of Belles of Paris).

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2012, 02:44:00 AM »

I will guarantee that folk will be disappointed in some aspect or other of the box - tracks included, tracks not included, mastering quality, packaging, liners, price, weight, availability... did I miss anything out ? Oh yeah, promotion - and will voice their views here*. Include me in that merry band. But when someone complains they didn't play enough artistic/deep cuts live in concert when the fact is over 1/3 were exactly that, then it's open season. Personally, at Wembley, I felt only one track elicited a true "WTF ?" moment, "Betsey"... and "Kokomo" almost killed the momentum stone cold dead.

[* not because I have any inside info**, just human nature]

[** ... or do I ?]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:46:28 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2012, 06:20:56 AM »

I will guarantee that folk will be disappointed in some aspect or other of the box - tracks included, tracks not included, mastering quality, packaging, liners, price, weight, availability... did I miss anything out ? Oh yeah, promotion - and will voice their views here*. Include me in that merry band. But when someone complains they didn't play enough artistic/deep cuts live in concert when the fact is over 1/3 were exactly that, then it's open season. Personally, at Wembley, I felt only one track elicited a true "WTF ?" moment, "Betsey"... and "Kokomo" almost killed the momentum stone cold dead.

[** ... or do I ?]

Couldn't agree more with this. And I don't really get where this 'obscure=artistic' thing comes from anyway. Yes, something like Cabinessence is beautiful, and only the fans know it -- but you know what else is beautiful? Good Vibrations is. In My Room is.

The setlists weren't the ones I'd have chosen if I'd had complete control, but this year I got to see the Beach Boys doing All This Is That, with Brian, Darian and Jeff covering Carl's part beautifully. I saw them do Kiss Me Baby and Good Timin' and Please Let Me Wonder and Don't Worry Baby and In My Room and Disney Girls and Pet Sounds and Sail On Sailor and Forever and Heroes & Villains and God Only Knows and Isn't It Time. I don't care if those songs are among the most famous they ever did, or the most obscure -- they're among the *best*, and I want to hear them,

Yes, if they'd asked me to put the setlist together, I'd have dropped Kokomo and Little Deuce Coupe and Barbara Ann and a bunch of other songs that I never really need to hear again, and added in Airplane and Surf's Up and Til I Die and Still I Dream Of It. And then at each show 20,000 people would have asked for their money back while ten of us would have been weeping with joy.

I don't know of any other band in the world where people go to the shows and come out complaining that they did too many of their hits...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2012, 07:22:59 AM »

Yes, if they'd asked me to put the setlist together, I'd have dropped Kokomo and Little Deuce Coupe and Barbara Ann and a bunch of other songs that I never really need to hear again, and added in Airplane and Surf's Up and Til I Die and Still I Dream Of It. And then at each show 20,000 people would have asked for their money back while ten of us would have been weeping with joy.

Still, it's those 10 people that buy every single thing the BBs release, thereby guaranteeing them continuing income ( instead of the one greatest hits release every lifetime)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »

Come on man. Are you really serious? The Beach Boys reunited in 2012 and played a set featuring songs such as "This Whole World", "Heroes And Villains", "Sail On, Sailor", "Marcella", "Good Timin'", and a bunch of other stuff and you weren't happy with that? Come on. I personally LOVE the late sixties/early seventies version of the band just as much as anybody else, but if you are really disappointed with the fact that they did their big hits (most of which are great) along with that other stuff, well then I feel bad for you. Because there is a lot of great music the guys have made, and I'm glad they did all different parts of the catalog, and not just their "most hip" material.

I think he's saying that its cool with the big hits, but when Don't Back Down (which is NOT a hit) gets added in favour of better 70's stuff then he (and people like him) gets a bit upset. I do  understand him. Many of those early songs sound just the same and to the casual fan they are on their own not that memorable. For this reason alone I would've prefered more post-PS material.

I think "Don't Back Down" is a great song and better than the vast majority of their '70s material.  If they had replaced it with, say, a Love You track or "'Til I Die," that would have been fine, but they played most of the best songs from Sunflower (except for "Cool, Cool Water," and I don't know how good that would have sounded live), and most of their other '70s songs aren't as good as "Don't Back Down."
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2012, 07:39:42 AM »

I think "Don't Back Down" is a great song and better than the vast majority of their '70s material.  If they had replaced it with, say, a Love You track or "'Til I Die," that would have been fine, but they played most of the best songs from Sunflower (except for "Cool, Cool Water," and I don't know how good that would have sounded live), and most of their other '70s songs aren't as good as "Don't Back Down."
I like Don't Back Down, but there are plenty of 70's songs that are better.  Don't Back Down didn't seem to get a big response.  I would have preferred It's About Time, Deirdre, Slip On Through, You Need A Mess Of Help, Trader, Roller Skating Child, and many more over Don't Back Down.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »

[** ... or do I ?]

Wembley was the greatest gig I've ever seen but you're right, Betsey was just awful

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2012, 09:17:42 AM »

I didn't mind Betsey at all (she's my niece)… I thought "It's Okay" was a bit of a conversation killer, not only in London but in some of the recordings I've heard of shows elsewhere… but I wouldn't have changed a thing.

“We live in divisive times.”
Paulos
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »

C'mon people, it's 'Betsy' not 'Betsey'!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »

Eh: potato, cucumber.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »

[** ... or do I ?]

Yep, ok, everything was perfect and i'm a mentally handicapped person. The Mojo critic who reviewed the show - positively! - who also made reference to the setlist leaning towards the 'sun and surf' songs rather than Brian's later works, yeah, he must be a mentally handicapped person too. Probably a 'fan' in fact. Christ.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »

Eh: potato, cucumber.

I work in a greengrocers. That'll roughly cost you £1.02 (Depends on the size of your potatoe(s))

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »

[** ... or do I ?]

Yep, ok, everything was perfect and i'm a mentally handicapped person. The Mojo critic who reviewed the show - positively! - who also made reference to the setlist leaning towards the 'sun and surf' songs rather than Brian's later works, yeah, he must be a mentally handicapped person too. Probably a 'fan' in fact. Christ.
Except for the 1993 tour, this is about as good as it gets for a setlist. Even in the early to mid-70s, the more current songs were constantly in and out of the lineup. Most people go to hear the hits. They always have and always will. When you have 36 Top 40 hits, it is hard to leave too many out for deep cuts.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »

The Beach Boys are not The Rolling Stones. They don't have the same luxury to pick and choose from a 50 year backlog of commercial successes. With the exceptions of 15 BO's and this year's reunion record the band have not had a big selling original album since 1967!! Of course that is going to factor into the setlist decisions. It's great that they aren't completely ignoring their 'wilderness period' but realistically there's only so many lesser known songs you can hit an audience with at one time.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2012, 02:57:14 PM »

I couldn't make it to the show, what did he say?

he said some bad things about Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones.........

Tongue

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »

[** ... or do I ?]

some people will complain that it doesn't have that "new box smell".......

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »

What if they scrapped more surf and car songs for the UK leg and added more late 60's + 70's material? The UK crowd digged the second set by far. There is no doubt that the UK has more eyes on their entire career rather than just the pre-Smile era + kokomo which much of America has. I think it has much to do with the band being recognised in the UK after much of the Surf stuff was out. After all most of their albums charted in 1965-66 and SD&SN/Today! were not really that much about surfing and cars. I think fewer of the UK audience are really into the surf music and car culture of California. Sure many absolutely love California and love this bands relationship to that state. They might not be as inclined to dig the Be True To Your School thing and 409 or Little Deuce Coupe. British popular culture never was as much about cars and hot rods as it was in america (most likely because you gotta be 18 to drive in UK + endless rain instead of endless summer  Grin)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »

We can drive at 17… but y'right about the dang rain!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx