gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681083 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 09:18:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson - Pete Fornatale Interview (1976)  (Read 5970 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »

Dennis Wilson interview with Pete Fornatale on WNEW-FM, New York City, November 1976.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVItbEJBkJM
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »

Thank you!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:55:58 AM »

ah man, this is a beautiful interview. Dennis was by far the least BS member ... he thinks deeply before responding.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

ah man, this is a beautiful interview. Dennis was by far the least BS member ... he thinks deeply before responding.

Well, I think Carl was the same. But Dennis just had the charisma. No other Beach Boy had that like him

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »

Well, I think Carl was the same. But Dennis just had the charisma. No other Beach Boy had that like him

true ... though i do think Carl was more guarded.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »

Dennis Wilson interview with Pete Fornatale on WNEW-FM, New York City, November 1976.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVItbEJBkJM
Great, thanks for uploading it! Listening to it right now...

EDIT: Wow... this is precious stuff.. Denny responding the BBs allegedly being "uptight" about Pet Sounds, talking about supporting Brian during his rough patches, learning from Brian about recording music and generally making an intelligent and likable impression.

Peter Fornatale: "It seems at times though as if he's programmed by others..."
Dennis: "I think that he's programming others. [laughter] He's very clever."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:47:53 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »

true ... though i do think Carl was more guarded.

That's ture.

- Jack Rieley
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »

Great interview. At times I think we can forget just how much Dennis was involved with the group and cared about things.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »

Really cool to hear this-a lot of quotes in books have come from this interview-but weren't credited to it. Cool.  Sad in a way-you listen and hear a guy who seems really together and stable0but one can't help but recall that within two years Dennis would be tumbling out of control into chaos even beyond Brian's experience
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »

Great interview! Thanks for sharing!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »

Incredible. Thanks for posting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »

His voice is gruff, but he's still very youthful sounding.

Thanks for posting this. Not nearly enough audio/video interviews with Dennis.

No mas, por favor.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »

No prob. It's been quite nostalgic going thru all of this stuff again. Glad to have a bunch of like minded people to share it all with.

Good news, I have a cassette to USB player on the way, so I'll be able to transfer the early 70's BW interviews soon.

There's another cool '76-'77 DW interview @ Brother Studios I'll post up tomorrow.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 05:48:11 PM »

Thanks for posting that. Such a no-BS guy. And his love and respect for Brian is so clear.
Interesting that Dennis also seemed to think it was drugs that set Brian off even in 1964.
Also interesting that he didn't like 20/20. I didn't know that.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »

People need to remember that Dennis was a very good-hearted and thoughtful guy...who was battered by self-worth issues that eventually wore him down... and that finally destroyed him. But this interview is a reminder that it wasn't all boozing, drugging, fighting and womanizing with Dennis. He loved his brothers, and even more than that he loved the music they made together, and the fact that it made so many people happy. Dennis' real legacy is that he was the world's biggest Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan. And he was deeply honored to be a small part of the joy they spread.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 12:09:29 AM »

People need to remember that Dennis was a very good-hearted and thoughtful guy...who was battered by self-worth issues that eventually wore him down... and that finally destroyed him. But this interview is a reminder that it wasn't all boozing, drugging, fighting and womanizing with Dennis. He loved his brothers, and even more than that he loved the music they made together, and the fact that it made so many people happy. Dennis' real legacy is that he was the world's biggest Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan. And he was deeply honored to be a small part of the joy they spread.

Well said, although i'd argue that he was rather a large part of the joy they spread.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 04:31:59 AM »

Well said, although i'd argue that he was rather a large part of the joy they spread.

Was that a d*ck joke?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 04:40:53 AM »

By the way, can anyone confirm that this is indeed from November 1976?

I had it listed as '77 on my copy, but after researching it the year I kept seeing was '76.

However, at the end Fornatale plays "River Song", which wouldn't have been released until '77, correct? Or was it an early promo copy? I'd have to guess if the album was already out, maybe they would've spent a little time talking about it.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 04:47:57 AM »

No prob. It's been quite nostalgic going thru all of this stuff again. Glad to have a bunch of like minded people to share it all with.

Good news, I have a cassette to USB player on the way, so I'll be able to transfer the early 70's BW interviews soon.

There's another cool '76-'77 DW interview @ Brother Studios I'll post up tomorrow.

Thanks, look forward to it. This one is excellent!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 05:18:30 AM »

Wow, this was an excellent listen. What a genuine, honest guy.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 06:22:17 AM »

Lovely interview. I like how Dennis simply cuts through the suggestion of resistance to Brian's avant garde songwriting and simply says how they were constantly blown away by the stuff he would play them. How true that is for the entire band, who can say, but of course it's pretty well documented that Dennis held Brian in really high esteem.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »

I find it interesting that Dennis talks so positive about the Maharishi tour. I would have thought from what I've read that he may have distanced from that by 1976.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx