gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680931 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 10:50:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bubs & Judd Review No Pier Pressure  (Read 36230 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »

I was wondering what took you so long to post in here. I know, we must tow the line with Brian. We must tow the line with Brian... Are you just a Brian Wilson groupie? Do actually like any of the other Beach Boys? Are you even a fan of the band? Any time I see you it is only about Brian. Remember, this is a BEACH BOYS board. Brian has his own site for his over glorification fans.

The same can be said about a certain poster (NOT referring to you, mind you) who posts nothing but derogatory things about Brian and is pro-Mike.

I happen to be pro-Brian too, for the record.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2016, 05:27:39 PM »

Bubs & Judd are so cool. They like Animal Collective and they think Grizzly Bear is like totally The Beach Boys of the 21st century. They drink PBR and they volunteer for Bernie Sanders. And they woulda voted for him, but they don't vote, cuz like.....f*** that. Voting's dumb. But maybe if they do decide to vote they'll vote for Drumpf, cuz like, it's totes ironic brah. Drumpf's a total douchebag but then again so are Bubs and Judd and it's not cool to like anything that doesn't have some kind of affect to it.

By the way, I just LOVE the way you guys would pick the lyrics apart. Perhaps you should try it on Kanye or the new Radiohead album, cuz I'm sure those are just fuckin' literally masterpieces.

The new Radiohead is actually good, musically and lyrically.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »

I was wondering what took you so long to post in here. I know, we must tow the line with Brian. We must tow the line with Brian... Are you just a Brian Wilson groupie? Do actually like any of the other Beach Boys? Are you even a fan of the band? Any time I see you it is only about Brian. Remember, this is a BEACH BOYS board. Brian has his own site for his over glorification fans.

The same can be said about a certain poster (NOT referring to you, mind you) who posts nothing but derogatory things about Brian and is pro-Mike.

I happen to be pro-Brian too, for the record.
For the record, I'm pro-Beach Boys. I read in here that some folks don't like Carl's solo stuff, a few don't like or get Dennis' POB album. We all have our likes and dislikes. I like some songs from all of Brian's solo albums, but excepting BWPS, I don't like any of his solo albums as an overall work.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2016, 07:21:09 PM »

Is it just me or is this place getting sort of McCarthyesque?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:21:35 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »

Is it just me or is this place getting sort of McCarthyesque?

Just you.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »

Admittedly, this probably should have been in the reviews section, but I gotta hand it to ol' Bubs. Dude made a fellow NPP detractor laugh. Best laugh I've had on this humorless dump in a long time. You're a good man, Bubs. Keep up the good work. I'd love to see you dismantle GIOMH with your vicious wit, bruh!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2016, 07:34:36 PM »

*runaway dancer plays in the TRBB's room*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:36:34 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2016, 07:35:36 PM »

Bubs and Judd, How about "Looking Back With Love"?  

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »

*runaway dancer plays in the TRBB's room)

That song is an atrocity against man and beast alike. I didn't feel the Love. It made me pine for the innocence again. Don't get me wrong. I like Sebu; he's a NICE PERSON. I just didn't resonate with what they were doing at that time.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »

Bubs and Judd, How about "Looking Back With Love"?  

Do you want the board to cave in on itself? LOL

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »

I said nothing about a scheme, did I?  Just interesting.  And your spin isn't very convincing, like this entire thread.

It's a couple of youth sharing some opinions and having a few laughs - nothing more than that, no spin required either way.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »

It's a couple of youth sharing some opinions and having a few laughs - nothing more than that, no spin required either way.

If one's review is not glowing, one is doomed to perpetual damnation among the masses of loons brandishing their semen-stained copies of Goodbye Surfing, Hello God and pointing and screaming "FUM HIM THE MOURDOROUS BASTARD!"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:59:34 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2016, 08:02:46 PM »

I was thinking there would be some more intelligent discussion overall in this one, maybe some deeper insight with the music itself and the musical elements coming from different perspectives and different sets of ears. But instead of keeping the level of discourse consistently high (or intelligent), it did feel too often like watching Beavis and Butthead as they took the piss out of old Quiet Riot or Scorpions videos. It's too bad.

One issue:

Solid 3/5 from me. It doesn't quite have what I personally love about my favourite BW releases - that deep warmth and intimacy of things like Pet Sounds and Friends... it comes across as more of a commercially-minded album, and on those terms it's perfectly fine. I think "Runaway Dancer" works well for what it is, I agree that "Saturday Night" would make a smashing single, and (with the exception of the horrid synth horns) I love everything about "Don't Worry." It's a grower, I think, and certainly doesn't deserve the bashing it's been getting in the press.

That was very well said at the time it was posted - a middle-ground, fair summation of the release. Not overly positive, but pretty much right in the middle. So I'm wondering now what happened to go from that mindset to offering what some might read as a tag-team "bashing" which wasn't deserved a year ago. Is it more deserving of a beat-down in May 2016 than it had been previously, and for what reasons?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »

Opinions change. This is nothing new. I once wrote a glowing summation of BWPS on here and now I bash the presentation (I would have preferred it more as a live album than as the K-Tel-esque studio recording it ended up as) considerably more than I did then.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2016, 08:21:08 PM »

Bubs & Judd are so cool. They like Animal Collective and they think Grizzly Bear is like totally The Beach Boys of the 21st century. They drink PBR and they volunteer for Bernie Sanders. And they woulda voted for him, but they don't vote, cuz like.....f*** that. Voting's dumb. But maybe if they do decide to vote they'll vote for Drumpf, cuz like, it's totes ironic brah. Drumpf's a total douchebag but then again so are Bubs and Judd and it's not cool to like anything that doesn't have some kind of affect to it.

By the way, I just LOVE the way you guys would pick the lyrics apart. Perhaps you should try it on Kanye or the new Radiohead album, cuz I'm sure those are just fuckin' literally masterpieces.

The new Radiohead is actually good, musically and lyrically.

Actually I really like it. It is much, much better than The King of Limbs. And I meant to write literary masterpiece, not literally. And that obviously changed the meaning. But the point still stood. I think the over dissecting of the lyrics was a bit ridiculous.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2016, 08:23:21 PM »

I think that was the point; it was supposed to be ridiculous. The Beavis & Butt-head comparison is apt.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2016, 08:23:35 PM »

I'm left a little speechless by this batshit crazy characterization of myself and Judd simply because we don't like NPP.

Gee "Bubs," I seem to have a distinct memory of your liking your copy of NPP when you first got it.  What happened?  What influence made it so "uncool?"  It's interesting to note who your fans are here.

Whose line are you towing by generalizing Brian Wilson's fans who post to his own site as "over glorification fans", not to mention the other shots you (and Real BB) took at Brian's site/board in the past few days? So much for "we're all Beach Boys fans, we love all the band members, it's all about the music" if taking shots at a website community you don't seem to like at all (not to mention indirectly slamming the fans who do post there with these comments) takes precedence over...talking about the music.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »

All right, let's not continue this argument here in my thread, please. If you want to argue about each other with each other, go make your own thread. If you want to share your opinion of the review and/or of the album or if you want to call me a hipster douche bag because I don't like No Pier Pressure as much as you do, feel free. This is a music thread, so let's stick to that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:39:03 PM by Bubs » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2016, 08:34:48 PM »

All right, let's not continue this argument here in my thread, please. If you want to argue about each other with each other, go make your own thread. If you want to share your opinion of the review and/or of the album or if you want to call me a hipster douche bag because I don't like No Pier Pressure as much as you do, feel free.

You forgot *mic drop*, you hipster douchebag. LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2016, 08:41:12 PM »

All right, let's not continue this argument here in my thread, please. If you want to argue about each other with each other, go make your own thread. If you want to share your opinion of the review and/or of the album or if you want to call me a hipster douche bag because I don't like No Pier Pressure as much as you do, feel free. This is a music thread, so let's stick to that topic.

I shared my opinion of the review, asked a question about it too and am curious to hear the answer. My review of the album was already posted last year and is still available here for anyone to read. Should I bump it, or paste it here to continue the discussion?

I also didn't use this on-topic music thread to take a shot at another message board and the people who are active members who post there. Might want to address that point with those who did more promptly than was done here.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2016, 08:49:25 PM »

Well, I can't answer your question, as I am not Judd. But if you want to share some new insights or thoughts about the album, or if you disagree with something specifically expressed in the review, then by all means, go ahead. I would rather people didn't just repost old reviews, but shared some more recent opinions.

As for your second point, I don't care what happened previously or how long it took; I just want to end it now here and now in my thread. It's weird that you would expect me to do your job for you, but I'll try to be more prompt next time. Debbie accusing me of lying and being some sort of secret Mike agent is what caused this tangent in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:12:51 PM by Bubs » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »

Well, I can't answer your question, as I am not Judd. But if you want to share some new insights or thoughts about the album, or if you disagree with something specifically expressed in the review, then by all means, go ahead. I would rather people didn't just repost old reviews, but shared some more recent opinions.

As for your second point, no, you didn't use this thread to talk about other people and forums--you used this on-topic music thread to continue the conversation about attacking other forums. It's weird that you would expect me to do your job for you, but I'll try to be more prompt next time.

Your first post was better before you edited it.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2016, 09:19:03 PM »

Thanks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »

Thanks.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41:49 PM »

NPP has some very solid moments, but I'll admit that they are not nearly as plentiful as I'd wished they'd be. I agree that the album hasn't aged super well in the time it's been out; once the new album novelty wore off, the production choices by Joe Thomas just stick out like a sore thumb. They are, by and large, not cool choices. In fact, I probably prefer some of Imagination's production choices by comparison (and I'm no huge fan of that album). I want very, very much to like NPP more than I actually do, and I want to support Brian's work that is dear to his heart in the greatest way possible... but in the end, I can't help but to feel like NPP is trying way, way too hard to be commercial, and in the process it lost something.

I'm still glad we have it, and I am grateful for the moments of blissful beauty that it undeniably still, in parts, provides.

That said, I just re-listened to That Lucky Old Sun yesterday, from start to finish. Hadn't heard it all the way through in at least a year or more. MAN, what a record. The production alone is just so, so much more pure, crisp, and authentic by comparison. And the tunes are way rad. Scott and his talents will certainly be missed in a big way. Big.

After an album as great sounding as TLOS, followed by the also amazing-sounding Gershwin record, I just don't get why the decision was made to go back with the too-slick-sounding Joe Thomas. I mean, I get the idea of wanting to have a "commercial" sounding record, and I get that Joe was perhaps the only way C50 and TWGMTR would have happened... but honestly the sound of Brian's solo career was at its absolute purest apex with TLOS, and there's really no comparison whatsoever in terms of repeated listenability and enjoyment, IMO.

I think that if NPP had been recorded in the TLOS production style, and with much less emphasis on the guest stars (perhaps handing a vocal or two off to Brian's bandmates instead), and dropping a few tracks, that NPP would have had a better chance at actually gaining more traction, and would have been much better awards bait (I don't say that insultingly, mind you - I want Brian's albums to win awards too), for the sole reason that it just would have kicked real ass for real, authentic reasons, as opposed to trying too hard to be commercial, and being often really awkward in the process. Or if the actual TLOS album came out in 2015 instead of 2008, concurrent with the time of L&M, I wonder how it would have fared awards and sales-wise compared to the response it got at the time of its actual release.

I also ponder if C50 hadn't actually happened... would Brian still have gone back to working with Joe Thomas for multiple albums, or if he'd have stuck more with the organic TLOS sound for the records that would have been TWGMTR and NPP (in whatever form they'd have taken)?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:52:34 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx