gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680928 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 08:28:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145699 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »

This is absolutely fantastic news on all fronts, and then within hours we are picking the whole thing apart. I also lost my best buddy today, my 14 year old dog, Rocky. It was great having a reason to celebrate on such a sad day for me and the wife.
That stinks losing a friend like that, go listen to warmth of the sun Smiley, maybe wrinkles. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »

This is absolutely fantastic news on all fronts, and then within hours we are picking the whole thing apart. I also lost my best buddy today, my 14 year old dog, Rocky. It was great having a reason to celebrate on such a sad day for me and the wife.

Sorry to hear about your dog bro.  Good companions and good music. Stuff it takes to make a life, eh? Hope you get tickets for next year.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »

Also, despite my crabbiness on this subject in the past, it's soul-warming to see David being part of this. If nothing else, this reunion will hopefully restore him to his rightful place.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »

1 - permission to be exceedingly smug for about a week...

2 - will those already picking it apart kindly SHUT THE f*ck UP. Don't like the idea, fine, just go away and leave those of us who can to enjoy the prospect.

Andrew, So..... what's the title of their new album going to be?  You can tell me... Whisper it in my ear..... I won't tell anyone........

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »

Some above have surmised that perhaps David is "in the video" but not on the track due to the fact I reported he wasn't at the initial "Do It Again" vocal session months ago. But there were multiple sessions, or multiple days of recording and filming. I can confirm David did record multiple guitar tracks for this recording at Brian and Mike's request. I am not exactly sure what order everything came together in...but all the boys are on the track.

That's very good. I don't like the way Brian uses saxophone for solos. It sounds very dated. The organ solo for "Soul searchin'" was great and the sax didn't do the song justice. More guitar solos would be cool, especially from Dave who - I assume - will be the lead guitarist for the reunion

Insert Quote
I'm sure Carl or Dennis' presence will be felt during the performances on stage.  There are some creative opportunities to achieve this like having an image of them on the big screen during a particular song (or section of songs)---most likely "God Only Knows" for Carl and "Forever" for Dennis.  Paul McCartney did that for both George and John during his shows and was a nice way to pay homage to them.  

Yes. Did you ever cath this (or basically the whole Elvis - The concert event) ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4bfdfFEVBU&feature=fvst

There could be something arranged. I don't know what but today there are possibilities.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »

1 - permission to be exceedingly smug for about a week...

2 - will those already picking it apart kindly SHUT THE f*ck UP. Don't like the idea, fine, just go away and leave those of us who can to enjoy the prospect.

Andrew, So..... what's the title of their new album going to be?  You can tell me... Whisper it in my ear..... I won't tell anyone........

Grin

Shut the f*ck up would be a pretty good title

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »

The Wilson brothers' memory has been honored sufficiently elsewhere. Let's see what The Beach Boys 2012 sounds like without dwelling on Carl's & Dennis' legacy. A simple dedication in the liner notes should suffice.

I'm amazed that people would actively oppose the inclusion of one of Carl or Dennis' solo songs.

This is a commemoration of what this band *has* achieved. This is a band with a storied past, not a long future. Does 'Celebration' as the title for this campaign not give you a hint? If you oppose Brian paying tribute to his brothers or Mike paying tribute to his cousins if thats what they want to do all I can wonder is who the f*ck you think you are.
There's going to be re-packagings, best-ofs, tributes, and retrospectives galore to cover the entirety of the Beach Boys careers, Dennis and Carl included. It would be my preference that this ONE aspect of the "50 Year Celebration", a new Beach Boys 2012 album featuring Brian Wilson at the helm, could just live in the now, not the past. I mean, wouldn't we all just love to see one last great Beach Boys album made before they pack it in? I'm just concerned about the album becoming a maudlin nostalgia trip because they are capable of so much more than that. Of course the only people whose opinions really matter on the subject are the Beach Boys themselves- not mine or yours.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »

Has there ever in the last 50 years been a better and more satisfying time to be a Beach Boys fan than right now? I think not.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »

Insert Quote
I'm sure Carl or Dennis' presence will be felt during the performances on stage.  There are some creative opportunities to achieve this like having an image of them on the big screen during a particular song (or section of songs)---most likely "God Only Knows" for Carl and "Forever" for Dennis.  Paul McCartney did that for both George and John during his shows and was a nice way to pay homage to them.  

Yes. Did you ever cath this (or basically the whole Elvis - The concert event) ?

There could be something arranged. I don't know what but today there are possibilities.

Yes in fact I did see Elvis The Concert (Elvis on the big screen with lead vocal isolated out of the video while his original bad played live on stage) and I thoroughly enjoyed it--mainly because I greatly admire and respect the musicians that played with Elvis.  

Doing something like that for The Beach Boys would be very entertaining but incredibly controversial.  Unfortunately, I think the mass wave of uneasiness from the hardcore fans (and probably by certain members of the band) would sway them not to do this.  I highly doubt they'll go this direction considering this will probably take away from the main focus of the evening.  They might have a mix of pictures and footage on the screens of Carl and Dennis but a full blown performance with either of them might be a little to intrusive for everyone....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »

The Beach Boys are playing the first weekend of the New Orleans Jazz  & Heritage Festival, April 27th-29th. Just sayin'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2011, 03:21:59 PM »

Has there ever in the last 50 years been a better and more satisfying time to be a Beach Boys fan than right now? I think not.

As Bill Cowher used to say, "where would you rather be than right here, right now ?"

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »

Insert Quote

Yes in fact I did see Elvis The Concert (Elvis on the big screen with lead vocal isolated out of the video while his original bad played live on stage) and I thoroughly enjoyed it--mainly because I greatly admire and respect the musicians that played with Elvis.  

Doing something like that for The Beach Boys would be very entertaining but incredibly controversial.  Unfortunately, I think the mass wave of uneasiness from the hardcore fans (and probably by certain members of the band) would sway them not to do this.  I highly doubt they'll go this direction considering this will probably take away from the main focus of the evening.  They might have a mix of pictures and footage on the screens of Carl and Dennis but a full blown performance with either of them might be a little to intrusive for everyone....

I was thinking of just one song. There are several GOK's on video and I guess some Dennis leads as well. But I only wanted to say that there are possibilities and that it has been done and so it is something that has to be taken seriously

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »

As Bill Cowher used to say, "where would you rather be than right here, right now ?"
Well said by Mr. Cowher, so excitied to be a fan with all this activity. If this all goes to plan, The Beach Boys will go out on top with a redeemed music reputation.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »

Well said by Mr. Cowher, so excitied to be a fan with all this activity. If this all goes to plan, The Beach Boys will go out on top with a redeemed music reputation.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain. It had ended before, now's a chance to end things right.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »

I dont' think they're going to "end" things,  I think the myke luv phreak sho sircus will continue touring long past the point their physical bodies will be replaced by imagineered anamatronic robots sponsored by Disney.

No mas, por favor.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »

Oh man, this is such mindblowingly great news. I've seen Brian and Mike & Bruce with their respective bands - the possibility of seeing them together with Al and David is fantastic! Christmas has come early this year!

I wonder also how Brian-centric the album is going to be. Is it going to be all Brian songs (with some Mike lyrics), or will Al or Bruce actually contribute any writing? Maybe hold back that “Waves of Love” track of Al’s for this Beach Boys album to have Carl on it?

Yep, it will definately be interesting to see if this turns out to have Brian & Mike writing credits all over it like I suspect it will or if the other guys get some stuff on there.

Hey, Brian and Mike, if you have writer's block and are reading this, cover some songs of the band I'm in, ha ha!  Grin  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4NLSdTfKsg
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:47:12 PM by kwan_dk » Logged

mtaber
« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »

Andrew- that quote is from Marv Levy, not Bill Cowher...
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »

Will Bruce be on stage or in the audience?

Cook pork throughly
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »

His job is to find a replacement for Brian Wilson in the touring group.

No mas, por favor.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »

Sorry if somebody has posted this already.  It has the most info of anything I've read:

http://www.thebeachboys.com/reunion/index.html

http://blog.brianwilson.com/news/

I'm liking the new logo!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:23:39 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »

Andrew- that quote is from Marv Levy, not Bill Cowher...

I've only ever heard Cowher say it.  Grin

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »

Wow, quick work astroray on using the new logo for your member photo  Wink

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:13:44 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »

His job is to find a replacement for Brian Wilson in the touring group.

Fender is hard at work on a "Tandem Bass" for Bruce and Brian to both stand and play at the same time.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2011, 05:45:10 PM »

Didn't read through all the replies yet, but I agree with those who are hoping that re-makes will be kept to a minimum.  But if they HAD to do some re-makes, I'd love to hear modern takes on California Saga-California and Soulful Old Man Sunshine.

I'm also glad that real instruments are being used!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »

The Wilson brothers' memory has been honored sufficiently elsewhere. Let's see what The Beach Boys 2012 sounds like without dwelling on Carl's & Dennis' legacy. A simple dedication in the liner notes should suffice.

I'm amazed that people would actively oppose the inclusion of one of Carl or Dennis' solo songs.

This is a commemoration of what this band *has* achieved. This is a band with a storied past, not a long future. Does 'Celebration' as the title for this campaign not give you a hint? If you oppose Brian paying tribute to his brothers or Mike paying tribute to his cousins if thats what they want to do all I can wonder is who the f*ck you think you are.
Elnombre, I am a huge admirer of Carl and Dennis, and I see your point. However, I think you are looking at this far too emotionally. Nobody is saying "Carl and Dennis don't deserve to be remembered!"

The impact that Carl and Dennis had on the Beach Boys sound will forever be felt in every performance the band does and every record they put out. If the group finds a track or two or three (like 'You're Still a Mystery') that fits with the production aesthetic of the new album and includes a Carl and/or Dennis vocal, they should certainly use it and I would be thrilled to have 'one last track' with Carl and Dennis.

Hell, I loved "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love." I wish the Beatles had done more of those types of tracks. However, those new Beatles songs were not meant to work in the context of a new album. If the Beach Boys (and Brian as producer) can't find something with Carl or Dennis that fits into the production aesthetic of the new Beach Boys album, or the songwriting style, they will be serving the product in the best possible way by not arbitrarily shoehorning material into it.

There are a million ways to remember people. Finishing one of their old songs is one way, paying musical homage to them in subtler ways is another option, and doing an onstage tribute and a special remembrance in the liner notes are no-brainers. Witness Christian Love's performance of "God Only Knows" that was posted last week. A performance like that is a great way to remember Carl.

Taking sub-par or out-of-place material and tacking it on to the album is not a good way to remember Dennis and Carl. As fastidious as he was, acting as The Beach Boys' de facto leader and producer for many years, I'm sure Carl would agree if he were alive today. The most important thing is that this Beach Boys album is the best it can be. If that can include Carl and Dennis, I will be very excited. My vote is for "You're Still a Mystery" but I don't know what else they're working with song-wise.

- B00ts
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx