gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 06:20:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson Movie News  (Read 40474 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »

A "number of duets"...? Hope they don't force it to be another Walk The Line.

Maybe it will just be some scenes of Dennis and Christine sitting around at a piano in her house or someplace playing and singing for the hell of it.

I've no idea if such moments ever happened but it wouldn't be too far out there for a bunch of movie-folk to imagine they did.

If they DID occur I'm sure AGD can provide us with exact dates, times, etc!  Grin
SBonilla
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »

Well, I'm wondering what the duets are based on, whether there's anything historically accurate about them.

Other than Baby Blue, did McVie contribute to any other Dennis sessions? Did Dennis lend his voice to any of hers?

Is there something previously unknown in the vaults (Fleetwood Mac's, Jimmy Guercio's or BRI's) that these might be based on, that we don't know about yet?
Dennis and Christine recorded together. I saw one of their 2" reels on a shelf in the control room of Track Record (Tom Murphy's studio). This was a long time ago...maybe 1980-ish.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2012, 01:38:45 AM »

Grint will play Stan Shapiro, a mail room intern at William Morris, who befriended Wilson during the last few years of the musician's life.

So... 'the last few years' of Denny's life stretch back to 1970/71, which is when he & Stan first met. Now you see why I'm seriously concerned about this project (over and above the Stamos factor) ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »

wow good cast!  chloe moretz is as up and coming as it gets!! and there's nothing wrong with Ron either. 

and man, mr. doe must be seriously scared if american family has jaded his views with this sort of talent involved.  obviously there'll be some factual issues and i can already hear him scoffing during the movie, but the more we hear about who is involved, the surer i am that this will at least be a quality film. 

this is grade A talent involved, and it's great that a beach boys movie is getting this sort of care.  and attracting the level of actors it is.

EXCITED.

This is a family backed and sanctioned project, covering the last few years of Dennis' life (when DW had been divorced from one of the producers for several years): I'm willing to bet that the drugs, drink & womanizing will be considerably played down. I cannot see this being a quality product. i can see it being another muddled calamity. Hope to be proven wrong, I really, really do.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »

I hope you're proven wrong also. To me it's got '3 out of 5 in Empire magazine' written all over it.

Although re the re-recordings, I was initially sceptical when i first heard one of the Foo Fighters was going to be adding vocals to a DW song and look how that turned out: bloody brilliant!
MBE
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »

I don't think it will happen as none of the Brian movies ever came out.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2012, 02:14:30 AM »

It'll happen. It will be alright, if a bit inaccurate. It will be a blockbuster hit with a soundtrack that goes number 1 on the Billbored top  100 and the smileysmile.net forum will be flooded with teenage fan girls who think dEnnIs Is SoOoooOoo hAWt

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2012, 03:43:54 AM »

It'll happen. It will be alright, if a bit inaccurate. It will be a blockbuster hit with a soundtrack that goes number 1 on the Billbored top  100 and the smileysmile.net forum will be flooded with teenage fan girls who think dEnnIs Is SoOoooOoo hAWt

Been at the catnip again, eh Garfield ?

MBE
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2012, 04:05:58 AM »

Been at the catnip again, eh Garfield ?
OK I just laughed out loud.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2012, 04:12:55 AM »

I think I'm going to ignore this when it comes out, just as I did when that Gainsbourg biopic came to the theaters in 2010.

Also, no slick re-recordings of POB/Bambu material please. An actor imitating DW's unique style of singing may cause major embarrassment anyway...
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2012, 05:50:02 AM »

wow good cast!  chloe moretz is as up and coming as it gets!! and there's nothing wrong with Ron either. 

and man, mr. doe must be seriously scared if american family has jaded his views with this sort of talent involved.  obviously there'll be some factual issues and i can already hear him scoffing during the movie, but the more we hear about who is involved, the surer i am that this will at least be a quality film. 

this is grade A talent involved, and it's great that a beach boys movie is getting this sort of care.  and attracting the level of actors it is.

EXCITED.

This is a family backed and sanctioned project, covering the last few years of Dennis' life (when DW had been divorced from one of the producers for several years): I'm willing to bet that the drugs, drink & womanizing will be considerably played down. I cannot see this being a quality product. i can see it being another muddled calamity. Hope to be proven wrong, I really, really do.

i would just go in with the mindset that it's not going to be factually correct.  It's still gonna be a hollywood movie, so there will be liberties taken. 
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2012, 07:47:36 AM »

You want factually correct? Read a book (NOT the BW autobiography, of course). I'm looking forward to an entertaining look at an interesting personality and awe-inspiring talent.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »

There's an unreleased duet of Dennis and Karen doing "Here comes the sun" and according to Jon Stebbins (IIRC) it deserves it's unreleased (and unbooted) status. Dennis/McVie material would be interesting because it would be even later in his life when he didn't have the chance to record whenever he wanted to like it was when the Beach Boys still had Brother studios
The Dennis produced Here Comes The Sun track only features Karen's "vocal"...Dennis doesn't sing on it. IMO the track is fairly mundane and the vocal is awful.

Ah thanks for refreshing my memory !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »

Grint will play Stan Shapiro, a mail room intern at William Morris, who befriended Wilson during the last few years of the musician's life.

So... 'the last few years' of Denny's life stretch back to 1970/71, which is when he & Stan first met. Now you see why I'm seriously concerned about this project (over and above the Stamos factor) ?

With respect, 'befriended Wilson during the last few years of the musician's life' is perhaps just another way of saying 'was friendly with Wilson during last years of his life', and it's only a press release after all. I mean, I wouldn't read too much into that one line as evidence of gross factual inaccuracies throughout the movie!

You want factually correct? Read a book (NOT the BW autobiography, of course). I'm looking forward to an entertaining look at an interesting personality and awe-inspiring talent.

^^ seems to have the right idea. I'm also excited about this. At least the cast is looking strong at this point.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »

lol why wouldn't it happen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2012, 01:01:49 PM »

Because tons of movies get "green-lit" each year and some go as far as into deep pre-production yet still fail to materialize.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »

Because tons of movies get "green-lit" each year and some go as far as into deep pre-production yet still fail to materialize.

script done, money in place, casted lead actors, supporting roles, great cast.  and yeah some don't, like 1% at this point.  poor reasoning
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »

My favorite movie (Amadeus) was rife with inaccuracies. Didn't effect that it was a great movie which turned in some amazing performances.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »

script done, money in place, casted lead actors, supporting roles, great cast.  and yeah some don't, like 1% at this point.  poor reasoning

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the Variety issue that comes out once a year when different producers/directors/starts etc are openly pushing their various projects to the studios and various distributors! Just how many of these projects see the light of day??? We're talking FINISHED films as well as fully cast, scripted projects with posters (trailers even) and the whole shebang. Last time I looked at this issue I was like "Wow, Rambo 5 is coming out"?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:10:43 PM by Erik H » Logged
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »

Production is set to commence in Southern Georgia on Jun 15 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Beach Boys.
SOUTHERN GEORGIA!
Unless Dennis visited Oliver Hardy's Birthplace , I cant think of any reason they would be filming in South GA. I've lived here my whole life, only thing down there is heat and pine trees!

Cook pork throughly
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »

That is extremely common practice in Hollywood and in television production - Everywhere looks like somewhere.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »

script done, money in place, casted lead actors, supporting roles, great cast.  and yeah some don't, like 1% at this point.  poor reasoning

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the Variety issue that comes out once a year when different producers/directors/starts etc are openly pushing their various projects to the studios and various distributors! Just how many of these projects see the light of day??? We're talking FINISHED films as well as fully cast, scripted projects with posters (trailers even) and the whole shebang. Last time I looked at this issue I was like "Wow, Rambo 5 is coming out"?

ha do yourself a favor and follow movies more than some annual issue of Variety.  You're talking ideas of movie people that they wish they could do.  Movies probably without scripts, casts or anything.  Just something they're trying to pitch to studios.  And rambo 5 is a great example.  No real script, no producers, no cast (besides stallone), and no directors.  

The production company doing The Drummer is independently owned and run BY THE DIRECTOR/WRITERS of the movie.  All of their movies are made outside of the studio system.  This movie already has funding, a great cast, a finished script.  The only thing they will need is distribution, which is something they would get after the film has runs in the festival circuit (granted they make a good/marketable movie).

I'm not saying this is guaranteed, but you're talking like it most likely won't happen.  The only reason it wouldn't is if perhaps Eckhart walked away, but the way it seems he's been throwing himself into it, i don't see that happen.  In fact, i think he sees this as an opportunity to stretch his acting muscles and maybe get awards.  Another thing is maybe they'll run out of money, but a cast of aaron eckhart, vera farmiga, rupert grint and chloe moretz would have no problems getting funds if needed.  and do be honest, this cast also tells me that they've been given some good money to make this movie.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:49:03 PM by Runaways » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »

i saw this summary on the production company's website.

There is an unquenchable, timeless, and fairly universal quest for an understanding of how the world of Rock n Roll ticks.  The Drummer is the story of this inimitably talented but perennially disparaged man, the only true surfer of The Beach Boys and one of the truly original voices in Rock & Roll history.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »

Production is set to commence in Southern Georgia on Jun 15 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Beach Boys.
SOUTHERN GEORGIA!

It's Savannah, Georgia where they'll be filming. Might be a good time to check out the beaches there this summer.  Grin

There's a bit of a film industry goin' on in GA these days -- Clint Eastwood and Justin Timberlake were filming at The Globe (a pub and local nexus for Celtic musicians) in Downtown Athens today.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »

i'm sure it's pretty cheap to film there.  especially opposed to california beaches
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx