gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681077 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 08:28:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 573306 times)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 07, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »

In fact, there aren't any bonus tracks, and there's been no word from the Capitol tower!

Well, all the same Phil, I give you license to be excited. I mean, who'da thunk we'd have mono/stereo versions of so many albums this year?!? I'm over the moon and I hope you are deep down too.

BTW John Manning ran a guilt-trip on me upthread and I just have to say THANK YOU for your info yesterday - I thoroughly devoured it with great interest. I wasn't trying to attack you maliciously. And I actually agree with you that it's a shame there wasn't a simultaneous, aligned message across global markets about these releases. I'm not going to draw any concrete conclusions about how/why it happened, but I agree with you that it would have been better had the communication been consistent and timely across countries.

But that aside, I am so stoked about these releases I don't care abut much of anything else right now! Come on, Phil, get excited!

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 07, 2012, 01:23:28 PM »

So, I'm really hoping that they put the new version of "Do It Again" on 50 Big Ones so it has more of an official spot in their discography rather than being in some zinepak. I also wonder if there are indeed new songs on this thing, or if they are going on the box. From how Al made it sound, they had yet to be recorded when he talked to SurfRiderHawaii. So I'm assuming that the new stuff will probably be from the sessions earlier this year, if there is any.

I'm intrigued to see the tracklisting. And I'll probably buy the thing, even though I think it would be more interesting if they lost some of not-so-great higher charting songs (like "Come Go With Me", "Bluebirds Over The Mountain", "California Dreamin'") to include classic material like "This Whole World" and "Surf's Up". And yes, I already said this, but I'm repeating myself, cuz that's how I roll.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 07, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »

Apologies CBM, no guilt flannel intended… was just stating I've appreciated Phil's posts recently. I've taken my fair share  (okay, more than my fair share…!) of swipes at the perceived pessimism in the past but just thought a little leeway where due.

Phil, Catbirdman's right on the ball – raise a glass to the news of impending US releases (whatever they turn out to be!)!   Beer

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:29:20 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #1103 on: August 07, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »

In fact, there aren't any bonus tracks, and there's been no word from the Capitol tower!

Well, all the same Phil, I give you license to be excited. I mean, who'da thunk we'd have mono/stereo versions of so many albums this year?!? I'm over the moon and I hope you are deep down too.

BTW John Manning ran a guilt-trip on me upthread and I just have to say THANK YOU for your info yesterday - I thoroughly devoured it with great interest. I wasn't trying to attack you maliciously. And I actually agree with you that it's a shame there wasn't a simultaneous, aligned message across global markets about these releases. I'm not going to draw any concrete conclusions about how/why it happened, but I agree with you that it would have been better had the communication been consistent and timely across countries.

But that aside, I am so stoked about these releases I don't care abut much of anything else right now! Come on, Phil, get excited!

Well, it is good news, provided that they have all of the same contents as the Japanese editions, and that the series continues with more titles. We await a formal announcement from Capitol.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1104 on: August 07, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »

The rebooted box set is a different project entirely. Patience, my robots... patience.  Smiley

...rebooted?  What exactly would they be putting on it if they already have a 50-song GH compilation coming out? 

I'd wager it would be something similar to the Beatles box set and would contain all those albums that recently were released in Japan...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »

OK, thanks for the feedback so far everyone. From what I've read, these changes need to be made to my list:
1. “A Young Man Is Gone:” no vintage stereo mix; multi-tracks missing; new stereo mix is a digital extraction.
2. “Why Do Fools Fall In Love:” no vintage stereo mix; new stereo mix made from multi-tracks.
3. “Bull Session With The Big Daddy:” recorded in mono, and both versions appear in mono on this release.

And these questions remain – can anyone please help:
1. “Denny’s Drums:” is new stereo mix actually mono, is it a digital extraction, or is it a real stereo mix using the multi-tracks?
2. “Our Favorite Recording Sessions:” same questions as “Denny’s Drums.”
3. Which Pet Sounds stereo tracks utilize the 1996 Mark Linett mixes, and which ones utilize later stereo mixes (and what is different about them)? Or all they all new 2011 mixes (that would surprise me)?
I was just re-reading the thread on Shut Down V2 found multi-tracks back in 2008-2009. It seems that "Denny's Drums" was one of six tracks on the found tapes. So, most likely we will have a true stereo mix for this one.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:10:33 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 07, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »

The rebooted box set is a different project entirely. Patience, my robots... patience.  Smiley

But, Capitol has said it will be a Career Spanning box set. So, the box is more a second version of the first one than a repackaging of 12 albums from 1963-1971.

...rebooted?  What exactly would they be putting on it if they already have a 50-song GH compilation coming out? 

I'd wager it would be something similar to the Beatles box set and would contain all those albums that recently were released in Japan...

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1107 on: August 07, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »

You can download the FLACs and easily convert to MP3 yourself if he doesn't offer both. I'd rather see him only upload the former than only upload the latter.
Sorry, I have less than 60MB left on this computer and I absolutely CANNOT spare any data.

Really? I mean, seriously, really? Come on, this HAS to be a joke! Where's the funny part?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »

Count me surprised and pleased at the news of the full remasters.

That being said, now that they're part of the U.S. / Europe master plan, I'd sure like to know that a second batch of remasters is on the way, specifically including Wild Honey and at least a few more of the late 60s and 70s records. They don't have to do every single album, I suppose, but a handful more would not go amiss.

And if this is going to be the shape of the catalog from here on (I'd assume the twofers are going out of print), it would be nice to know what's happening to all of the former bonus tracks ...
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1109 on: August 07, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »

I was just re-reading the thread on Shut Down V2 found multi-tracks back in 2008-2009. It seems that "Denny's Drums" was one of six tracks on the found tapes. So, most likely we will have a true stereo mix for this one.

The stereo sample on the HMV website sounds like the same mono mix.  Assuming it had no overdubs, I wouldn't be surprised if Denny's Drums were recorded on a single track...i.e. no stereo mix is possible.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1110 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

The stereo sample on the HMV website sounds like the same mono mix.  Assuming it had no overdubs, I wouldn't be surprised if Denny's Drums were recorded on a single track...i.e. no stereo mix is possible.

The recording configuration when recording on 3-track at Western Studios in 1963-64 was to use 2 tracks for vocals & 1 track for instruments. It was unlikely that they reconfigured that set-up to record "Denny's Drums" or "a Young Man Is Gone", so "Denny's Drums" may indeed have been recorded on one track(I.E. the other two tracks were blank), and that while "A Young Man is Gone" may have used 2 of the 3 tracks, it may have been decided that (for whatever reasons) that it did not sound satisfactory mixed with one track of vocals on the left, one track of vocals on the right.....and nothing in the center, and so no stereo mix was done.

By the way, as for the "Shut Down Vol.2" multitrack tapes that were purchased by Capitol for $50,000, these are several multitrack stages each for approximately half the songs on the album. The tapes for the other songs could still be out there somewhere in a private collection.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 07, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »

Are the US releases likely to be very different packaging

The US liner notes won't be in Japanese, so...
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 07, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »

An eq mix would be cool

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 07, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »

No way Denny's Drums was recorded in anything other than mono.  Drums were recorded in mono anyway, and stereo recording in the sense of capturing things in stereo, was not really something engineers were concerning themselves with.  Drums were recorded with one overhead and one on the kick, for the most part, in those days, and it would not really occur to people to put up ambient mics with the intention to do a stereo mix, which of course was never the goal anyway.  I'll bet everything I have DD was recorded in mono.

The Shut Down multis could be exploited more, I suppose.  I'm still hoping for track only DWB, or vox only DWB or ITPL, in terms of bonus-y type things.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: August 07, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

Are the US releases likely to be very different packaging

The US liner notes won't be in Japanese, so...

Darn.  Now I've got to go out and re-purchase the two albums I ordered for liner notes I can read!  LOL

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 07, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »

it would be nice to know what's happening to all of the former bonus tracks ...

Maybe the bonus tracks will now reside within the new box set that is set to be released?  I guess we'll see.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:44 PM »

Not that this is realistic, but how many bonus tracks are there, total, from all the twofers?

What would be interesting would be to release those as a special expanded bonus CD with a few new bonus-y things.  (Particularly from post Capitol years, of course.)
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 07, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »

No way Denny's Drums was recorded in anything other than mono.  Drums were recorded in mono anyway, and stereo recording in the sense of capturing things in stereo, was not really something engineers were concerning themselves with.  Drums were recorded with one overhead and one on the kick, for the most part, in those days, and it would not really occur to people to put up ambient mics with the intention to do a stereo mix, which of course was never the goal anyway.  I'll bet everything I have DD was recorded in mono.

Aw man, just when I was gettin' all excited, you go and throw out this party-killer. Low-to-no likelihood of getting "Denny's Drums" in stereo?!? NOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm only half joking because I sincerely WAS excited about the thought of a stereo DD after reading Phil's post.

I ordered 50 Big Ones and all the remasters (sans Pet Sounds, Sunflower and Surf's Up - they have nothing special to entice me just yet) today. I tried explaining my reasoning to a co-worker. "Don't you have all the Beach Boys' albums already?" "Yeah, but these are original mono! Some are first-time in stereo!" Blank look.

Many of us on this board can relate to the endearing, alarming (and incomprehensible to the not-we) enthusiasm shown by the train lover in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=putH8aZcX6Y

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »

Aw man, just when I was gettin' all excited, you go and throw out this party-killer. Low-to-no likelihood of getting "Denny's Drums" in stereo?!? NOOOOOO!!!!!!

If I were Mark, and I'm not, of course, I would just put a nice sounding, conservative stereo reverb on the track.  It's not "true" stereo, as such, but wouldn't be half bad.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 07, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »

This is the best news since March of last year  Beer  So exciting 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 07, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »

Not that this is realistic, but how many bonus tracks are there, total, from all the twofers?

What would be interesting would be to release those as a special expanded bonus CD with a few new bonus-y things.  (Particularly from post Capitol years, of course.)

A Beach Boys Past Masters. Precisely.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 07, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »

I'm only half joking because I sincerely WAS excited about the thought of a stereo DD after reading Phil's post.

I ordered 50 Big Ones and all the remasters (sans Pet Sounds, Sunflower and Surf's Up - they have nothing special to entice me just yet) today. I tried explaining my reasoning to a co-worker. "Don't you have all the Beach Boys' albums already?" "Yeah, but these are original mono! Some are first-time in stereo!" Blank look.

Many of us on this board can relate to the endearing, alarming (and incomprehensible to the not-we) enthusiasm shown by the train lover in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=putH8aZcX6Y
"THIS IS SPECIAL! SMILEY SMILE GIVES ME THE CHILLS! AND THE CHILLS HAVE ABSO-LUTLEY NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW COLD IT IS OUTSIDE! OOH! UUGGHH!"

A discipline daddy.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 07, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »

So:

1. Cindy, Oh Cindy
2.  The Baker Man
3. Land Ahoy
4.  Fun, Fun, Fun single version
5.  Ganz Allein
6.  I Do
7.  Be True to Your School single
8.  All Dressed Up For School
9.  Little Honda alternate
10.  Don't Back Down alternate
11.  Little Girl I Once Knew
12.  Dance Dance Dance alternate
13.  I'm So Young Alternate
14.  Let Him Run Wild alternate
15.  Graduation Day
16.  Trombone Dixie
17.  You're Welcome
18.  Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
19.  Can't Wait Too Long
20.  Break Away
21.  Celebrate the News
22.  We're Together Again
23.  Walk On By
24.  Old Man River

I took out something that would be available elsewhere, namely GV sessions.  A strange album.  Disc two would be "new" bonus tracks, including, say, Live Again.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1123 on: August 07, 2012, 07:09:07 PM »

I want 4 CD box of rarities and unreleased tracks. The bonus tracks from the 2-fers can be integrated into it. As can the important cuts from Endless Harmony and Hawthorne Blvd (which is OOP, coincidentally (?)). I want the whole enchilada! I want to finally hear "My Solution" in high fidelity! I want Love You piano demos! I want California Feeling! I want Battle Hymn of the friggin' Republic! Lay it on me, big daddy!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 07, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »

I'm totally not complaining, but I'm somewhat surprised that the box set isn't coming out on the same day as 50 Big Ones and the remasters. I figured it'd all come out at the same time. Anyways, I guess that'll give me some time to save up more money.

I'm intrigued to see if Capitol puts out a press release soon. I'm assuming the track listing for 50 Big Ones should be known shortly, and I wouldn't doubt if we find out more details about the box set soon too.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx