gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 05:21:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Mythbusters  (Read 53010 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »

Myth: Brian sang God Only Knows on the outtake on the Pet Sounds Box Set.
Fact: It was a mistake, much like Brian singing Be Here In There Morning and that Daddy Dear song. Azn

Ummm, put me down as thinking thats more of an opinion than a fact. I still truly believe thats Brian on "Daddy Dear." I don't know who "confirmed" that it was Alan...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2010, 10:21:44 PM »

Happened to find this old postcard online while looking for something completely different....the card has Brian drowning instead of Dennis, they worded it drawned....take a look see.

http://www.cardcow.com/150038/the-beach-boys-ronald-reagan-presidents-ronald-reagan/

I've got a Readers' Digest various artists box set which includes "Fun, Fun, Fun," the potted biog to which says that CARL drowned in 1983. It was issued years before Carl really died.

On August 14, 1974, when Endless Summer was high on the charts, KGB-FM in San Diego broadcast a two hour program, 'Focus on The Beach Boys,' hosted by KGB-FM dj Bob Coburn.  Coburn stated, "The first album by The Beach Boys was a thing called Surfin' Safari.  Dave Marks was in the band at that time.  He ended up passing away.  I'm not exactly sure how, but I spoke with someone on the phone earlier and we both presumed it had been drowning."

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »

Fact: It was a mistake, much like Brian singing Be Here In There Morning and that Daddy Dear song. Azn

Ummm, put me down as thinking thats more of an opinion than a fact. I still truly believe thats Brian on "Daddy Dear." I don't know who "confirmed" that it was Alan...

Look at when it was recorded, and Brian's whereabouts at the time. He couldn't have been present.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »

A U.K. reporter asked Brian, in his comeback year 1988, how much money he'd spent on drugs.

Without the slightest sign of doubt, he replied immediately: 'Oh, $ 100,000'.

Something tells me this is not true.
Actually, it was probably more than that. David Crosby spent $500,000 on freebase in the year 1985 alone. Consider that fact that David was already badly addicted to freebase in 1976. It adds up. I would bet that with Dennis's "help", Brian probably went through about $300,00 on coke/heroin.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2010, 08:31:24 AM »

Can anyone (P)oint  (M)e in the direction of where to find Daddy Dear? Never heard of it. Maybe it's got another name?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2010, 12:18:14 PM »

Look at when it was recorded, and Brian's whereabouts at the time. He couldn't have been present.

I cant argue with that because I dont know the details on that end. However, I'll trust my ears on this one, its Brian IMO.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:20:30 PM by Jonas » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2010, 01:12:37 PM »

The story of "Daddy Dear" for them as don't know: while the band were in Holland in 1972, one of them - who slips my mind now - asked a fan if they could borrow a reel-to-reel recorder, promising to give it back before they left, which they did. Upon playing the tape (the quality of which is not very good), said fan discovered two songs had been recorded on it by someone playing a piano & singing: "Susie Cincinnati" & "Daddy Dear". The fan considered it to be Brian, but this is debatable. One, why would he sing an Alan Jardine song recorded some two years earlier... two, as noted the audio quality isn't at all good, but in places it sounds much more like Alan.

Here's the original thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,550.0.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:15:18 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2010, 02:51:44 PM »

The story of "Daddy Dear" for them as don't know: while the band were in Holland in 1972, one of them - who slips my mind now - asked a fan if they could borrow a reel-to-reel recorder, promising to give it back before they left, which they did. Upon playing the tape (the quality of which is not very good), said fan discovered two songs had been recorded on it by someone playing a piano & singing: "Susie Cincinnati" & "Daddy Dear". The fan considered it to be Brian, but this is debatable. One, why would he sing an Alan Jardine song recorded some two years earlier... two, as noted the audio quality isn't at all good, but in places it sounds much more like Alan.

Here's the original thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,550.0.html

Never have I heard this.( Course I've missed quite a few other sound bites also)

However, I read and re-read the original thread, and the only person I found debating whether it was Brian, was AGD.

It will take better ears than mine to decide this question.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2010, 12:18:41 AM »

However, I read and re-read the original thread, and the only person I found debating whether it was Brian, was AGD.

This is true.  Smiley

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2010, 04:37:41 AM »

How's that?  It was recorded in Holland in 1972, and Brian was in Holland in 1972.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »

I'd been under the (mistaken) impression that it was done in late 1971. Then again, Brian didn't do too much in Holland, at least not much productive.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »

Myth: Brian Wilson wrote most of Jan & Dean's hits.

Fact: Brian co-wrote 6 of Jan & Dean's 16 Top-40 records, as charted by Billboard and Cash Box, (five of which were co-authored with Jan Berry). Of J&D's 7 Top-10 hits, Brian co-wrote 3 of them. In all, Jan and Brian wrote nine songs together (11 counting "Gonna Hustle You," which became "The New Girl In School"). Overall, J&D charted 26 times between '58 and '66 - (28 counting two bubble-unders).

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »

I wasn't aware he'd contributed to that many!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2010, 11:59:55 PM »

I didn't know that Brian even went to Holland. I've always read/heard on tv that Brian stayed home. I guess that's another myth....or just very shoddy research.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38:57 AM »

I didn't know that Brian even went to Holland. I've always read/heard on tv that Brian stayed home. I guess that's another myth....or just very shoddy research.

I think the big problem is with the 2000 CATP/Holland 2fer liners, which flat-out states that Brian didn't go to Holland. Shoddy, shoddy research.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »

I believe that the Brian Wilson Biography special said the same. Or maybe it was in the Endless Harmony documentary. I remember hearing about it through a tv program.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2010, 04:16:13 AM »

I believe that the Brian Wilson Biography special said the same. Or maybe it was in the Endless Harmony documentary. I remember hearing about it through a tv program.

Very much doubt Endless Harmony said that - Boyd knows his BB history.  Cool

Paulos
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »

I think the big problem is with the 2000 CATP/Holland 2fer liners, which flat-out states that Brian didn't go to Holland. Shoddy, shoddy research.

Most of the Warners/Caribou era two-fer liner notes seem to be poorly written and researched, don't even get me started on the Keepin' The Summer Alive/Beach Boys '85 notes... Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »

Most of the Warners/Caribou era two-fer liner notes seem to be poorly written and researched, don't even get me started on the Keepin' The Summer Alive/Beach Boys '85 notes... Grin

I know, who IS that guy ?  Shocked

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »

Judge not, lest YE shall be judged! 

I'm pretty sure, this was around the time when I stopped buying the reissues, so I wouldn't have to take part in the BBs mis-information campaign....

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »

Myth: 'I Write The Songs' is about Brian.

Fact: Bruce has said it is about all song writers but how did the myth start? Huh
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2010, 03:28:23 PM »

Myth: 'I Write The Songs' is about Brian.

Fact: Bruce has said it is about all song writers but how did the myth start? Huh

Bruce initially said he wrote it about Brian

mtaber
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »

Myth: Jan Berry wrote all of the Beach Boys' hits.

Fact: It was actually CHUCK Berry who wrote most of them, except for the one's Brian wrote in Holland...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2010, 03:02:19 AM »

Myth: although a failure in the US, Sunflower was a huge hit in the UK.

Fact: errrrr... no it wasn't. A scant six weeks on the chart, entered at its peak of #29. Both 20/20 and Surf's Up fared significantly better.

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »

Myth: Jan Berry wrote all of the Beach Boys' hits.

Fact: It was actually CHUCK Berry who wrote most of them, except for the one's Brian wrote in Holland...

?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx