gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 10:18:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sean Lennon Q & A in Rolling Stone  (Read 13321 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »

I've always been under the impression that John Lennon didn't care about the Beach Boys.

Brian said in an interview that after Pet Sounds was released Paul McCartney AND John Lennon called him up to congratulate him, so maybe he did dig the Beach Boys.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »

I thought the same thing Melville, since I don't think I've ever seen any quote from John about the Beach Boys or Brian, while Paul has obviously been pretty emphatic about his love for Brian's music.  So I guess that would lead some to think that John didn't really care about the BB, but who knows.  Maybe John just wasn't the type to throw out praise for other artists.  I do think that John would have liked the Smile music, if he got a chance to hear it. 
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »

I don't know why I feel this, I just do. But in the song God Lyrics, I think he wanted to add "I don't believe in Beach Boys." Just had to edit the list somewhere!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 02:43:20 PM »

Well, there's still the story about a party for, I think, Ricci Martin, where Lennon was very happy to meet the Beach Boys and especially thrilled to meet BW.
BTW isn't there a phone-conversation between BW and Lennon on Brian's official site?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 02:46:07 PM »

Awww, c'mon, that first album was fun! 

Fun, maybe. Good, no. Not nearly as good as what came after.

What Paul's Boutique?  I bought that and thought it dreadful.  I lost interest thereafter.

Paul's Boutique wasn't their first album -- Licensed to Ill was -- but it (P.B.) is their best. Easily. It's fucking brilliant, one of the best hip hop albums ever. (Sorry, that little rant has nothing to do with Sean Lennon, whose music sucks. There. Now it does.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 02:47:28 PM »

Well, there's still the story about a party for, I think, Ricci Martin, where Lennon was very happy to meet the Beach Boys and especially thrilled to meet BW.
BTW isn't there a phone-conversation between BW and Lennon on Brian's official site?

Yeah, but the interview wasn't by phone -- they were in the same room together...

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Endless Flight
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 02:47:46 PM »

In one of the thousands of Beatles books, it mentions that John Lennon loved 'The Little Girl I Once Knew' and said it was the best thing he had heard on the radio in six weeks. I'm not sure if it's true, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Not only that, but didn't he lift 'Don't Worry Baby' for his 1980 hit, '(Just Like) Starting Over', or was that subconscious, sort of like Harrison lifting material for his 'Sweet Lord'?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:48:50 PM by Endless Flight » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 03:05:06 PM »

It always seemed to me as Paul thought of the BB as friendly competition, whereas Lennon treated them more like rivals or "the competition".  In that August 1966 Beatles press conference someone posted a while back, Paul mentions The Beach Boys as his favorite group, while Lennon seems to go out of his way not to acknowledge them, even though he and Paul had listened to Pet Sounds months earlier and loved it.
briancarldennisal
Smiley Smile Associate

light the lamp and fire mellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »

i read somewhere that john loved 'lonely sea'. anyone know where this was printed? (or caught on film?)

thanks for all your thoughts people. i would have to agree that it seems like john wouldn't have really enjoyed the smile material, had he heard it.

light the lamp and fire mellow cabin essence timely hello
XY
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »

I thought the same thing Melville, since I don't think I've ever seen any quote from John about the Beach Boys or Brian

Here's a JL quote for you:
"Wilson is a bloody genius who uses voices like instruments" (John Lennon, 1967)

Quote from: Rocker

Yeah, that's one of May Pang's stories.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 01:36:25 AM »

Awww, c'mon, that first album was fun! 

Fun, maybe. Good, no. Not nearly as good as what came after.

What Paul's Boutique?  I bought that and thought it dreadful.  I lost interest thereafter.

Paul's Boutique wasn't their first album -- Licensed to Ill was -- but it (P.B.) is their best. Easily. It's fodaing brilliant, one of the best hip hop albums ever. (Sorry, that little rant has nothing to do with Sean Lennon, whose music sucks. There. Now it does.)

Oh no, I knew PB was the second album - that's what I meant referring to Shelter's 'what came after' (after License to Ill).

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2006, 09:54:11 AM »

I thought the same thing Melville, since I don't think I've ever seen any quote from John about the Beach Boys or Brian

Here's a JL quote for you:
"Wilson is a bloody genius who uses voices like instruments" (John Lennon, 1967)

Wow cool thanks Jasper, I'd never heard that one!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 10:04:41 AM »

Right on Luther.  I really think Paul's Boutique is the best hip-hop album there is.  IMO, this album truly shows how sampling can be tastefuly used to make great records.  This is the album that made me a Beastie Boys fan.

As for the first album and it's "sexist" attitude, I wonder just how serious it really was.  Seems kinda toungue in cheek to me.  but I could be wrong.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2006, 10:14:04 AM »

As for the first album and it's "sexist" attitude, I wonder just how serious it really was.  Seems kinda toungue in cheek to me. 

It was. But unfortionately most people didn't seem to understand that. After the Beastie Boys saw the monster they created they distanced themselves from it.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2006, 10:16:40 AM »

The BIG question is: what did JOHN Lennon think of the Beastie Boys!?  LOL

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 11:34:50 AM »

The BIG question is: what did JOHN Lennon think of the Beastie Boys!?  LOL

Probably not much, since he died about 8 months before their first show.  Smiley
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2006, 01:45:06 AM »

As for the first album and it's "sexist" attitude, I wonder just how serious it really was.  Seems kinda toungue in cheek to me. 

It was. But unfortionately most people didn't seem to understand that. After the Beastie Boys saw the monster they created they distanced themselves from it.

I think they saw the monster they'd created on the UK tour of 1987 and the Liverpool gig in particular.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2006, 02:23:46 AM »

I think they saw the monster they'd created on the UK tour of 1987 and the Liverpool gig in particular.

What happened there?
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2006, 03:09:42 AM »

What happened there?

I did touch on this earlier.  It's funny to re-call the storm of controversy the Beastie Boys caused in UK during their tour of 1987 particularly as since then they've really retreated from mass public consciousness, despite the fact that their career has continued and they are still a popular group in hip music circles.  It wasn't quite up there with The Sex Pistols as a moral panic but it was that sort of thing.  There was a lot of sensationalistic tabloid and media coverage including, most notoriously, an accusation that the group had verbally abused a group of disabled people, an accusation which stuck despite the group's denials.  Anyway, by the time the Beasties reached Liverpool Royal Court (I have a feeling it was one of the last dates on the tour, maybe even the last but I'm not sure) they had become more a subject of public curiosity than a musical entertainment.  I'm pretty sure there was a lot of people there who had just turned up to see who these notorious Beastie Boys were and cause trouble (because that's what the group were all about, right?!)  I remember there was another 'white rap' support act on first who were roundly booed and abused by the hostile audience as bottles and other objects flew at the stage.  And this only increased when the headliners themselves made their appearance.  Things were being thrown at the group and I do remember them throwing things back.  Then after about ten minutes they just walked off stage.  I remember standing around waiting for them to come back on but it didn't happen.  Acts of vandalism were happening such as light fittings being ripped out and a chant of "You'll never take the Pool!" (referring to Liverpool).  Next thing there was a panicked stampede to the back of the auditorium which I was caught up in and I'm not entirely sure but my impression is that some kind of pepper spray or tear gas had been used by some security body, but whether it was the group's or the theatre's I'm not certain.  It seems a strange thing to happen, something that one would have thought would have been prosecuted, but I don't remember anything happening in that way.  Anyway, in the aftermath of all this Adam Horowitz (AdRock) was charged with criminal assault because he allegedly threw an object back into the audience which struck a young woman on the head and caused some kind of injury.  He was allowed out of the country but returned at a later date to stand trial, one in which he was found 'not guilty'.  The then owner of the theatre said he would never again book a rap act to appear at his venue, whether that is something that has been kept to down the years I'm not entirely sure.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:10:56 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2006, 04:19:14 AM »

That sounds like a completely different band than the Beastie Boys I saw. I saw them in '98 and they stopped the show two or three times to ask the crowd to take a few steps back because it was too crowded up front and they were affraid of people getting hurt. Afterwards I read in a concert review that the Beastie Boys had been overreacting because there was nothing really going on (which I didn't agree with).
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2006, 04:29:32 AM »

That sounds like a completely different band than the Beastie Boys I saw. I saw them in '98 and they stopped the show two or three times to ask the crowd to take a few steps back because it was too crowded up front and they were affraid of people getting hurt.

Well, there you go!  The change from License To Ill to the sort of 'art rap' begun on Paul's Boutique was quite sudden wasn't it?  They left Liverpool changed men!  Smiley

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2006, 06:13:54 AM »

This thread's kind of all over the place (great reportage on that Beasties gig, Sir Rob), but I thought I'd throw this in here: if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then I would assume John Lennon admired the Beach Boys since I'm convinced "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" was inspired by "She's Goin' Bald"!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2006, 06:24:55 AM »

This thread's kind of all over the place (great reportage on that Beasties gig, Sir Rob),

Hmmm...I know I am a bit sorry about that. 

Glad you enjoyed my reminiscence though! 

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »

I distinctly remember reading in a John Lennon Interview ................"I like rock and roll , I don't like much else"

.....whereas, McCartney like the more lush arrangements.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2006, 12:07:31 PM »

At the same time, Lennon reportedly adored the Kinks' "Wonderboy" and requested it be played repeatedly at a club he attended one night in '67 or '68. For those unfamiliar with the song, it belongs to the chamber pop era of the band with a high, layered vocal sound not dissimilar to the Beach Boys vocals found on "Smiley Smile".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx