gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 08:47:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 395846 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1425 on: June 01, 2015, 09:54:46 AM »

Last time I checked, it appeared that many people seem to enjoy this board. Just cruise the amount of posts here on any given day and one can see the healthy glow it casts. No cancer, no heart disease, no life ending content going on,  well, maybe a little high blood pressure, but the mods help to get that down to acceptable levels when it gets out of control. The only thing I see are OPINIONS of this, that, or the other thing. Generally speaking, there are no rights or wrongs when it comes to opinions, is there, really?? What is interesting is how most here stick to what they believe one thing or the other. There's your board-without honest opinion, this board would not exist and should these opinions whether "for" or "against" anything be silenced, we risk a compromise of any sort of democracy here. That would certainly suck the very life out of this or any other entity. Don't like what you read here? Fine. No problem, right? Are you man enough to read it? Are you man enough to move on and go to the next post or are you going let it ruin your little day? For instance, and I make absolutely no apologies for not liking Mike Love, so I state my OPINION. If you don't like it, oh well, life goes on in Beach Boys land.
I'll check with the mods later but it doesn't appear that anyone has suffered premature death because of what I've posted about him. But, if you find that your skin is a bit too thin to handle anything you don't want to hear, I have the answer-go to "The Vibe Room"-it's a wonderful, very quiet, little place where EVERYONE loves Mike Love and everything he does no matter what! Trust me, you'll never want to come back here ever again.   Wink

Interesting. So you can write coherently and spell properly. Rumbled.   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1426 on: June 01, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »

It seems like instead of trying to change the rules we should just follow the rules of this board and stop with the personal insults towards each other, and this not-so-subtle attempt at working the refs. Which is reaaaally obvious.

Works for me. I'm up for it.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: June 01, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »

"Surf's Up" was in the setlist in 1971 (and perhaps survived into the setlist for another year or two, though by '73 I think it was gone, if not '72). I believe it briefly returned in 1975 during the "Beachago" tour, and I think that's about it. There are some folks out there that meticulously collect live setlists and live recordings and whatnot and would have noted a later performance. I'm pretty sure it was never attempted during Jeff Foskett's tenure in the touring band, which lasted from late December 1981 through July of 1990.
The reason I mention it, is that once in a while, something "atypical" would be done.  Such as the way Carl sang impromptu "Happy Birthday" to Brian, which ended up on Knebworth, with some others from that performance not making it, could likely have done SU.  I saw it done multiple times, both in the college years and the Beachago years.  (More than one Beachago tour.) I'd love to see the "meticulous setlists," particularly those that didn't fit on one hand, written in flair pen!  LOL
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1428 on: June 01, 2015, 10:04:32 AM »

Looks like a great show, Wish I'd been there. Was seriously impressed last time I saw them - David was with them - in Newcastle a few years back and this looks even better. Embrace the full heritage, Mike: it's worth it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1429 on: June 01, 2015, 10:09:34 AM »

Brian doesn't need permission to do GH at his shows.  They are from the BB font. He has done Little St. Nick in July! Christmas in July! He got a fantastic audience response! It isn't all about competition.  It is striving to do one's personal best.  Brian went out on that limb in July with Little St. Nick as did the Touring Band did with Wild Honey a couple of years back. 

Um... there's a simple reason why they did "LSN" in July 2005. It had just been recorded for the new Christmas album and was a plug for same. Brian said just that at the two shows I saw.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 01, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

I'm glad you guys all had a blast and the aching ass that only such a lengthy show can provide! I guess I'll excuse all the insults possibly aimed in this direction since clearly you're all hopped up from goin' to the beach and that's totally understandable. I get pretty loopy and puritanical too with some live Pet Sounds in my system.

But this bully/punk business and the like, ease off on that. Again, nobody here is lookin' very classy and above it all when they are flinging fetid mud in all directions and getting some in the mouths of innocent passers-by.

The mods clean up anything that crosses the line and let's try to be fair, most of the lengthy BW threads this past year have had just as many detractors with oddly familiar names posting quibbles, sneers, disingenuous questions prefaced by "quite frankly" and "honestly," pleas for his retirement, complaints about setlists, mentions of our favorite old legal cases, etc. Along with many bans temporary and permanent on both sides of the Kokomo divide. It's what happens on a board like this not directly controlled by the Wilsons or the Loves! It's infuriating at times of course depending on which opinion of yours is being mauled or what deeply held belief is being snottily trampled by some total jerk, but let's remember these are public figures and it's in fact ok to have opinions about 'em. Unfortunately, Cousin Mike and Cousin Brian inspire some crazy commentary online. Look on any newspaper article, blog post, youtube video. We're actually doing pretty good compared to some of the swill you see elsewhere. At least tour date and recording session information gets corrected quickly! AGD's blood pressure thanks you.

It seems like instead of trying to change the rules we should just follow the rules of this board and stop with the personal insults towards each other, and this not-so-subtle attempt at working the refs. Which is reaaaally obvious.

Also, I'm sorry for making fun of John Stamos. I admit it, just his name sounds funny to me and hearing the words "John Stamos" make me laugh a little bit. I'll have it checked out.
It remains to be seen if the "apologies" are genuine. Just sayin'...

Funny, there is a new poster - "nakostopoulos." Sounds like a Full House alterego. I think the mods might consider blocking more than one membership per IP address.  That might be a start to ending "multiple personality disorder," on this forum.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 01, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »

Brian doesn't need permission to do GH at his shows.  They are from the BB font. He has done Little St. Nick in July! Christmas in July! He got a fantastic audience response! It isn't all about competition.  It is striving to do one's personal best.  Brian went out on that limb in July with Little St. Nick as did the Touring Band did with Wild Honey a couple of years back. 

Um... there's a simple reason why they did "LSN" in July 2005. It had just been recorded for the new Christmas album and was a plug for same. Brian said just that at the two shows I saw.
Andrew - whatever the reason, a Christmas song in July could be construed as risky in a setlist.  I had forgotten about the CD coming out later that season...and it was cool!  Wink
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1432 on: June 01, 2015, 10:20:47 AM »

Of course the apology for mocking John Stamos wasn't genuine, it was just a joke after some po-faced genuine gibberish to lighten the mood. I will unfortunately, and sometimes even deliberately, make jokes at the expense of members of the Full House cast on occasion. Along with large portions of the rest of the internet. These are just the times we live in, filledeplage. Perhaps the upcoming Full House reboot will be a success and improve it's cultural standing, tho. Dare to dream!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 01, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »

Of course the apology for mocking John Stamos wasn't genuine, it was just a joke after some po-faced genuine gibberish to lighten the mood. I will unfortunately, and sometimes even deliberately, make jokes at the expense of members of the Full House cast on occasion. Along with large portions of the rest of the internet. These are just the times we live in, filledeplage. Perhaps the upcoming Full House reboot will be a success and improve it's cultural standing, tho. Dare to dream!
I am glad that you think you lighten the mood.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1434 on: June 01, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »

m glad you guys all had a blast and the aching ass that only such a lengthy show can provide! I guess I'll excuse all the insults possibly aimed in this direction since clearly you're all hopped up from goin' to the beach and that's totally understandable. I get pretty loopy and puritanical too with some live Pet Sounds in my system.

But this bully/punk business and the like, ease off on that. Again, nobody here is lookin' very classy and above it all when they are flinging fetid mud in all directions and getting some in the mouths of innocent passers-by.

The mods clean up anything that crosses the line and let's try to be fair, most of the lengthy BW threads this past year have had just as many detractors with oddly familiar names posting quibbles, sneers, disingenuous questions prefaced by "quite frankly" and "honestly," pleas for his retirement, complaints about setlists, mentions of our favorite old legal cases, etc. Along with many bans temporary and permanent on both sides of the Kokomo divide. It's what happens on a board like this not directly controlled by the Wilsons or the Loves! It's infuriating at times of course depending on which opinion of yours is being mauled or what deeply held belief is being snottily trampled by some total jerk, but let's remember these are public figures and it's in fact ok to have opinions about 'em. Unfortunately, Cousin Mike and Cousin Brian inspire some crazy commentary online. Look on any newspaper article, blog post, youtube video. We're actually doing pretty good compared to some of the swill you see elsewhere. At least tour date and recording session information gets corrected quickly! AGD's blood pressure thanks you.

Also, I'm sorry for making fun of John Stamos. I admit it, just his name sounds funny to me and hearing the words "John Stamos" make me laugh a little bit. I'll have it checked out.

Agreed one million percent. Certain posters need to quit bitching at others' behavior and take a long hard look at themselves. Noticed I said posters/ Plural. Not directed at one specific person. They know who they are.
Funny, there is a new poster - "nakostopoulos." Sounds like a Full House alterego. I think the mods might consider blocking more than one membership per IP address.

We do IP checks on every member registration. Duplicate memberships are not allowed, but there's ways around it, which apparently some have taken advantage of. The irony of someone now posting here with my last name is, um, interesting.

By the way...uncle Jesse's last name was 'Katsopolis', so that's nothing to do with anything.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 01, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »

Ontor - there is a point at which a "joke" becomes slander/libel.  And no "apology" will be a remedy.  The  "joke defense" might not be available.  This vitriol is not lightening the mood.

The nuns used to often say, "A word to the wise, is sufficient." They wouldn't use that sentence lightly, but advisedly.  I don't care what else happens on the Internet.  This board "community" might think more  guardedly (not in a censorship context) choosing its words more prudently, to disagree without unbridled and offensive insults.

There are plenty of lawsuits, now, as a result of "Yelp" reviews, whether restaurants or other businesses, which have emerged from negative and offensive commentary, on the Internet.  Just sayin'.  
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1436 on: June 01, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »

I dunno what country you live in, but here in the US slander/libel laws for public figures are extremely tough going. The UK is a different story and many tabloids do end up coughing up bigtime when they screw up. But here in the US, er... look up some case histories, you'd be surprised! You are welcome to try to sue me or get John Stamos to sue me and see how that works out for you.

It would be a really cute mirror image of the band we love, tho, wouldn't it? Fans could start suing each other. At the very least, thinly veiled legal threats are adorable... like attracts like, I guess.

Those nuns probably hated MAD Magazine too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:46:09 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 01, 2015, 10:45:21 AM »

m glad you guys all had a blast and the aching ass that only such a lengthy show can provide! I guess I'll excuse all the insults possibly aimed in this direction since clearly you're all hopped up from goin' to the beach and that's totally understandable. I get pretty loopy and puritanical too with some live Pet Sounds in my system.

Agreed one million percent. Certain posters need to quit bitching at others' behavior and take a long hard look at themselves. Noticed I said posters/ Plural. Not directed at one specific person. They know who they are.
Funny, there is a new poster - "nakostopoulos." Sounds like a Full House alterego. I think the mods might consider blocking more than one membership per IP address.

We do IP checks on every member registration. Duplicate memberships are not allowed, but there's ways around it, which apparently some have taken advantage of. The irony of someone now posting here with my last name is, um, interesting.

By the way...uncle Jesse's last name was 'Katsopolis', so that's nothing to do with anything.

Billy - I don't doubt that IP addresses are checked but there are those who find their "way" around this.

But, in looking at both the Uncle Jesse name, (and a variation of yours) I noticed some sort of ridicule of the name...with the "nako" at the beginning.   It is interesting, brazen and punkish.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 01, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »

All this strange bullshit about Stamos is really lame, full house is joke. All the "nostalgia" is really making fun of how awful the show is.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: June 01, 2015, 10:50:59 AM »

Did "Darlin'", "Time To Get Alone", and "Had To Phone Ya" belong to the Beach Boys?

Nevermind, looks like they were sold to Irving so "no" I presume.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: June 01, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »

I dunno what country you live in, but here in the US slander/libel laws for public figures are extremely tough going. The UK is a different story and many tabloids do end up coughing up bigtime when they screw up. But here in the US, er... look up some case histories, you'd be surprised! You are welcome to try to sue me or get John Stamos to sue me and see how that works out for you.

It would be a really cute mirror image of the band we love, tho, wouldn't it? Fans could start suing each other. At the very least, thinly veiled legal threats are adorable... like attracts like, I guess.
Ontor - I live in the US and have taken courses on libel/slander laws in both the Constitutional context and other contexts, or that are found to be defamatory to a corporation or business. It is complicated.  

Some suits are prevailing under a Tort theory, on disparagement of product, trade libel or slander of goods, and not under "freedom of speech" under the U.S. constitution, which does indeed have a high standard to prevail.

And that I do think, is a "punk remark" - "fans suing each other." I am not threatening you...just chiding you to be more careful...as a fellow member of this forum...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 01, 2015, 11:09:48 AM »

All this strange bullshit about Stamos is really lame, full house is joke. All the "nostalgia" is really making fun of how awful the show is.
Your thinking it is "awful" is your opinion.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:11:11 AM by filledeplage » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 01, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »

This is a website, not Mike Love's legal pad.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »

Please elaborate on what this means...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 01, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »

All these legal terms thrown out for simple message board tweaking of Mike and Stamos. Like its a lawsuit waiting to happen.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1445 on: June 01, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »

And he's entitled to have it, just like you're entitled to like it. I personally do not care for it, made worse by the fact my daughter watches the reruns obsessively

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1446 on: June 01, 2015, 11:21:30 AM »

He would like to have a legal pad in Hawaii..... *strums guitar*

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 01, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »

Billy wins the thread! LOL

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 01, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »

All these legal terms thrown out for simple message board tweaking of Mike and Stamos. Like its a lawsuit waiting to happen.
The terms were not "thrown out," but chosen carefully.

It seems you maintain a false and highly negative perception of "anyone" who feels they can appreciate the work of each of the bands in the BB sphere.  And I find it offensive and highly intolerant.  

This is hardly a "simple message board" with the resources and band members and support staff who come here to post.  Andrew elaborated on some of the band members who find some of the board commentary troubling, just today.  I said not one word on Mike or Stamos, and yet you found a way to slide it into your post, manufacturing inflammatory nonsense.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 01, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »

And he's entitled to have it, just like you're entitled to like it. I personally do not care for it, made worse by the fact my daughter watches the reruns obsessively
Billy - that is funny and good you let her watch FH.  There is so much horrible stuff on TV, that you know this is OK for kids to watch and they love the BB's.  I never knew they had the BB's on FH until my kids yelled for me to come "see the BB's."  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx