gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680977 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 01:05:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another S**t stirring article in The Independent today !  (Read 86216 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »

Its funny that Howie basically relates very truthfully that Melinda and Jaqui are the bottom line, in charge, calling the shots, wielding the power...and Fildepage somehow takes that as an "undertone of disrespect".

Well, that story is a 180 degree turn from last week.  Last week Mike was the villain. Splashed globally.  Now it is the wives?

The villain is the horrible way this was handled as far as inflaming the public perception that the Beach Boys are firing each other etc... It could have easily been avoided, and the Mike press release, the wording of it, the Beach Boys reluctance to mitigate that by giving an explanation that no one was fired etc... All of that was stupid and ugly. The behind the scenes truth is that Melinda and Jaqui essentially pull the levers of the two integrated organizations that have made this reunion possible. If they were currently operating in harmony as they were throughout most of this reunion, this most likely would not have happened. Seems obvious. You are the first person in this exchange to label them as villains. I'd view them as being in charge, and as having done a fantastic job with all reunion related issues...until now.

Jon - if "villain" is too harsh, then, I apologize, it must be the H&W lyrics.  Since we are in that BB land of discourse.  Just for a second, I'll follow your concept of the evolution of this tour.  And, suppose "the ladies" are to credit for this wonderful series of events, is anyone saying "Thanks" to them?  I'm not hearing it.  Did the ladies "negotiate?"  Saying they are "pulling the levers" of the integrated organizations, is equally strong language on your part.  (If women headed every nation of the world, I doubt we would be at war.  That is a fact.)  So, they should get their proper respect for helping make it happen.

I have gone out of my way to give them respect. I have personally thanked both of them multiple times this summer for this unbelievably great reunion tour. I have thanked them for all of the fans, and told them what they have done means the world to all of us. In fact just moments after one of these thanks, and after mentioning it must have taken a lot of compromise to see this through, they laughed and agreed...and posed for this nice picture.

Jon - that is a great photo!  Thanks for posting it in this hotly debated thread.  No one is suggesting disrespect on your part.   The upside of this discussion, might be that there is a working alliance.  Discussion such as this, causes facts to emerge and that is a great thing.  There are no absolutes here.  I guess one thing that I find troubling, is that people have expressed the sentiment that because principals were expressing a desire to be "ready, willing and able" to return to BB status, that Mike ( and forgive my frankness) should dismantle a business, and only do the "Band of 5" (for ease of description) because "they" (the other three) were now ready.  There are many who feel similarly and it may not be the politically correct position, but it's out there.  

Now, that perspective comes, not as an author, such as yourself, but, just a fan, who followed the three configurations as they emerged post-Carl.  I remember taking one of my sons to see Brian, and he never took his eyes off him, almost as though he had seen a living legend.  He read what he could about Brian, and as a lot of young people, not a 60's kid, as his mom, considered Pet Sounds, particularly God Only Knows to be the greatest song ever written.  He's in good company.  

What is troubling, too, is a reporter's/author's compulsion ( and this is not directed at you) but generally, to feel entitled to get beyond the necessary information to tell a story, with a global amount of accuracy, to delve into what might be considered "crossing the line" in an entitled fashion, and render the story tabloid-like.  I don't need (as a fan) to know all the inner workings.  I just want to know that "things are working" and, can be spared the details.  This last week became a tabloid.  

But, I don't find that the damage is as bad as people perceive it.  And I do think that some accord will be reached; they've come too far.  

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: September 30, 2012, 05:25:38 PM »

Disclaimer: I'm playing devil's advocate and having a bit of a laugh with this one, don't take this too seriously...

...but what if this were a media-fueled attempt to humiliate Mike because he's a Republican? Let's face it, these media outlets reported something which not only isn't true, but isn't even close to what the story actually was or is, and they made Mike look like the guy who "fired" the Beach Boys.  Grin

(...ducks for cover...)   Evil

I am joking, but why let a good conspiracy theory go to waste?  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 30, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »

Disclaimer: I'm playing devil's advocate and having a bit of a laugh with this one, don't take this too seriously...

...but what if this were a media-fueled attempt to humiliate Mike because he's a Republican? Let's face it, these media outlets reported something which not only isn't true, but isn't even close to what the story actually was or is, and they made Mike look like the guy who "fired" the Beach Boys.  Grin

Obama did it?  LOL
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »

The smartest thing that they could have done is announce that Mike is fulfilling his commitments through the end of the year (while simply but adequately explaining the BRI license agreement once and for all) while listing all the wonderful accomplishments of 2012.

Then on or around Thanksgiving, announce the box set as well as two Staples Center shows for December 30th and December 31st to wrap the 50th anniversary.

It's that easy.
It's beyond a no-brainer.
It's Showbiz 101.
How do these guys not know how to do this thing by now?

Well said.

But Cam, he's essentially saying that the way they (all parties involved) handled it was a mistake. So on one hand, you're saying you don't see how it was mishandled answering what I said about it being mishandled earlier, and on the other you're agreeing with Howie when he says it could have been handled better, especially with 50 years of handling the media under their belts.

I'll just say it all could have been handled better, and again there seems to have been a major miscommunication within the band and the lack of an official direct response/clarification from any band members is troubling.

Well, it is kind of complicated. I think Howie earlier in another post expressed his opinion that he thought Mike's timing was off. I don't see that, the timing was not the problem and neither was the statement.

Here I do agree with Howie that it would have been better to have a comprehensive statement [regardless of the timing imo] which would have avoided the only problem which was the other Boys' separate reactions and the press hype of their reactions. The content of Mike's statement was necessary and true and the timing of such a statement was timely for its intent. Does that make sense?

To a point it does, to a small degree it does, but I can't help but think if it was handled better, or more competently, and perhaps if the timing had been a little more appropriate, I doubt we'd see even a fraction of the sh*t-storm which happened after the comments were made and reported. If you say it right, make it concise, and yes...make it more universal and less self-centered (ducks for cover...), you're less likely to have those words misinterpreted in any way.

Look at a few posts in this thread - suggestions were offered for a concise, respectful press statement which could have left no room for mistakes or misinterpreted meanings.

And I do have a problem with the timing of it - why not wait until a week later? Points:

- Was it that big of a rush to promote the new set of shows that he had to say it last week when the media attention was at its strongest since it was the "Farewell Show" coming up?

- If you bask in the moment of a successful tour, good press, happy fans, and a general feeling of goodwill among fans and concertgoers, why not bask in THAT moment of harmony, ride it out, and when everyone gets back to the States and goes their own way, start doing press about your concerts coming up. It's a thing with me about enjoying a great moment and living it up in that moment.

Seriously, what the heck was the rush to get in a few words about upcoming shows when everyone was jazzed about the finale to a great reunion tour and a great comeback album?

Some would say it was a ham-fisted attempt at self-promotion or bandwagon-jumping that backfired. If he had waited another week or even another few days, would we have seen the backlash? Most likely not.

This is just one of those opinion things I suppose. What I've heard didn't sound like a self promotion but a clarification. I take it Howie agrees? It seems very necessary in light of a concert already being cancelled due to lack of clarity.

The announcement timing seems right to me if the purpose was information and clarity for a concert series soon to begin. If Mike had waited and none of the overreaction had happened I can imagine we would have a multi page thread about how wrong it was to inform/clarify the upcoming concert series so late especially in the light of the line up being so recently different and the confusion that had already happened. Maybe not [yeah we would].

But really I don't think timing would have even been a discussion if the real problem of the overaction/press reaction hadn't happened. To me the timing is only brought up because of the stink the other Boys/press created, there is no good/timely time to cause an unjustified stink. So in my view the announcement was right and timely but the unjustified stink was wrong and untimely.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: September 30, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »

But to clarify a few things, wasn't Mike in the UK when the announcement was made? If so, why would he feel the UK or the fans in the UK and Europe would need to know about upcoming gigs in mid-level American venues like Texas Jack's or Rattlesnake Joe's or whatever that place that made the deep-fried pickles is called? He could have waited a few days until he was done with the "Reunion" part of his calendar year, and made the announcement, say, tomorrow, in the US. Possibility?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 30, 2012, 06:43:46 PM »

But to clarify a few things, wasn't Mike in the UK when the announcement was made? If so, why would he feel the UK or the fans in the UK and Europe would need to know about upcoming gigs in mid-level American venues like Texas Jack's or Rattlesnake Joe's or whatever that place that made the deep-fried pickles is called? He could have waited a few days until he was done with the "Reunion" part of his calendar year, and made the announcement, say, tomorrow, in the US. Possibility?

checking the BBFC site, they have shows listed starting today. which means waiting until, say, tomorrow, would have been a bit late for an announcement to try and preclude angry ticket buyers...  

>>MIKE LOVE & BRUCE JOHNSTON

Mike Love has licensed the Beach Boys' name for his tour, which also features fellow Beach Boy Bruce Johnston. Please note that Mike and Bruce are the ONLY Beach Boys on this tour. The duo's backup band includes Randell Kirsch, John Cowsill, Tim Bonhomme, Christian Love, and Scott Totten. (See also the BB Band website.).
 •Sept. 30 — San Diego, CA (“The Legacy Concert for the Children” benefit event, 8170 Caminito Santaluz E)**
•Oct. 5 — Waco, TX (Extraco Events Center)*
 •Oct. 6 — Austin, TX (The Backyard at Bee Cave)*
 •Oct. 12-13 — Biloxi, MS (Beau Rivage)*
 •Oct. 26 — Santiago, Chile (Movistar Arena)  <<

Oops didn't see the part about the asterisks:  >>All tour dates are subject to change. An asterisk (*) indicates a date confirmed by BRI, two asterisks (**) indicate a confirmed date from another source.<<
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:51:20 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 30, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 30, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »

The press release came prior to the Grammy Museum event, which was prior to leaving for the UK.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: September 30, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »

The press release came prior to the Grammy Museum event, which was prior to leaving for the UK.

Thanks for the clarification, honestly I didn't know for sure.

It makes the (over)reaction and the announcement that Mike "fired" the Beach Boys even more suspicious.

(cue Bill O'Reilly...)  Cheesy

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 30, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »

I typed a long thing and it timed out and I lost it but others have already said it.

Anyways regarding timing of the announcement, I just think it is demonstrable that the announcements timing is not the problem. It actually was announced,  discussed, and reported in late June that there would be BrianAlDavidless post Reunion Tour October dates and that was when the Reunion was to end in mid-September. So it is demonstrated that the timing of the Mike's announcement is not the problem, the Reunion Tour marched merrily on for almost 4 months under the weight of the announcement with no stink after the announcement. The problem is the wrongful stink raised by the other Boys statements and postings, and the yellow press [shakes fist at Bill O'Reilly].

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: September 30, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »

checking the BBFC site, they have shows listed starting today. which means waiting until, say, tomorrow, would have been a bit late for an announcement to try and preclude angry ticket buyers...  

>>MIKE LOVE & BRUCE JOHNSTON

Mike Love has licensed the Beach Boys' name for his tour, which also features fellow Beach Boy Bruce Johnston. Please note that Mike and Bruce are the ONLY Beach Boys on this tour. The duo's backup band includes Randell Kirsch, John Cowsill, Tim Bonhomme, Christian Love, and Scott Totten. (See also the BB Band website.).
 •Sept. 30 — San Diego, CA (“The Legacy Concert for the Children” benefit event, 8170 Caminito Santaluz E)**
•Oct. 5 — Waco, TX (Extraco Events Center)*
 •Oct. 6 — Austin, TX (The Backyard at Bee Cave)*
 •Oct. 12-13 — Biloxi, MS (Beau Rivage)*
 •Oct. 26 — Santiago, Chile (Movistar Arena)  <<

Oops didn't see the part about the asterisks:  >>All tour dates are subject to change. An asterisk (*) indicates a date confirmed by BRI, two asterisks (**) indicate a confirmed date from another source.<<

This appeared 10 days ago in a publication called the "Rancho Santa Fe Review": http://www.ranchosantafereview.com/2012/09/19/the-beach-boys-to-perform-at-benefit-at-the-santaluz-club/

The Beach Boys to perform at benefit at The Santaluz Club

As they wrap up their global 50th anniversary tour, The Beach Boys will perform on Sunday, Sept. 30, at “The Legacy Concert for the Children” at The Santaluz Club.

The event will benefit The Foundation for the Children of the Californias, a tri-national collaboration with the United States, Canada and Mexico, endeavoring to improve the health and nutrition for the children in the border region through the operation and expansion of a model pediatric specialty medical and education complex, located one half a mile into Baja California, Mexico.

The Hospital Infantil de las Californias pediatric complex offers outpatient services in 26 specialties in a 50,000-square-foot complex, plus community outreach.  Approximately 70 percent of the hospital’s and medical personnel donate their professional service.

To find out more and for event time, tickets, go to: www.usfcc.org

Note specifically they say it will be a "Reunion" event and not a Mike and Bruce -led Beach Boys show.

Now go to this link: http://www.usfcc.org/

...And you'll see a promo photo of the Mike-and-Bruce led band, yet if you click on the "Beach Boys" link on this page for concert info, you'll see the same mention of the "Reunion" tour wrapping up with this event. Copied from the site:

The Legacy Concert for the Children
We cordially invite you to join us for “The Legacy Concert for the Children” with The Beach Boys as they wrap up their 50th Anniversary world-wide tour. This exclusive event will take place at The Santaluz Club on Sunday, September 30th, 2012.
Santaluz Club
8170 Caminito Santaluz E.
San Diego, CA 92127

So someone was either very, very mistaken, or someone either deliberately or mistakenly billed this Sept. 30 show (tonight, BTW...) as a "Reunion" event...which even the non-diehard fans would most likely assume meant the same band who was doing the "reunion" tour, with Brian-Al-David on stage.

Someone in the information chain f***ed this one up. Deliberate?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:54:49 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 30, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

Brian's over-reaction is especially confusing as there are reports from late June of Brian being informed there are October post Reunion Mike/Bruce dates. His reaction was he was not aware of it, more less the same reaction he gave in October*.

*Should be "September" since October hasn't happened yet.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:31:20 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: September 30, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »

Brian's over-reaction is especially confusing as there are reports from late June of Brian being informed there are October post Reunion Mike/Bruce dates. His reaction was he was not aware of it, more less the same reaction he gave in October.

What do you make of the concert which is happening today, info posted above?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 30, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »

Brian's over-reaction is especially confusing as there are reports from late June of Brian being informed there are October post Reunion Mike/Bruce dates. His reaction was he was not aware of it, more less the same reaction he gave in October.

Not much yet. Who actually played this?

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 30, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »

I hear Toni Tennille was the lead singer.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 30, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »

Love, Mike Love won't keep us together...

Sorry, I had to.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: September 30, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »

We'll have to wait for the post-game report on this one, because it's happening now or just happened within the past 8 hours, I would think, unless someone on this board was there and can report...but judging from the photo on the website (links found in my post), it shows the standard Mike and Bruce touring Beach Boys band, yet both the website and the newspaper (and others) were saying it was the last show of the reunion tour. So if I saw the photo, I'd assume it was a Mike and Bruce show, if I read the press and the same site's own press releases, I'd assume it was a full reunion show. Confusion, again someone messed this up.

Something doesn't fit, there - I was wondering if that raised an eyebrow or what you thought of it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »

Sorry, I had to.

Someone has to!  Cheesy

I can't tell if he's serious or not about Tennille - but if Toni Tennille were singing with them tonight I'd want to get a ticket.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 30, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »

While there were Mike and Bruce shows popping up online earlier in the tour, Cam, there was no official announcement or press release about them until a week or so ago. So no, it wasn't widely known or understood. Given that one of those dates was then cancelled, there was still a lot of fan confusion about the band's plans.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:26:08 PM by Wirestone » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: September 30, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »

While there were Mike and Bruce shows announced earlier in the tour, Cam, there was no official announcement or press release about them until a week or so ago. So no, it wasn't widely known or understood. Given that one of those dates was then cancelled, there was still a lot of fan confusion about the band's plans.

It would seem at least one of the venues was also confused. Not good.

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 30, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »

Sorry, I had to.

Someone has to!  Cheesy

I can't tell if he's serious or not about Tennille - but if Toni Tennille were singing with them tonight I'd want to get a ticket.

Definitely NOT serious.   LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: September 30, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »

Sorry, I had to.

Someone has to!  Cheesy

Definitely NOT serious.   LOL

(snaps fingers...)  Damn!   Grin

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 30, 2012, 11:58:54 PM »

I typed a long thing and it timed out and I lost it but others have already said it.

Anyways regarding timing of the announcement, I just think it is demonstrable that the announcements timing is not the problem. It actually was announced,  discussed, and reported in late June that there would be BrianAlDavidless post Reunion Tour October dates and that was when the Reunion was to end in mid-September. So it is demonstrated that the timing of the Mike's announcement is not the problem,

No, the announcement is exactly the problem.  We saw that simply announcing some gigs without the full lineup didn't get the bad publicity, any more than the band touring without Brian and Dennis in 1982 did.  But putting out a press release to celebrate the lineup change, and presenting the reduced lineup as the Beach Boys from that point onwards, with no indication of the full group ever working together again or even hoping to work together again, is a much bigger story.  And doing it just before their final show-of-unity concerts is just plain bizarre timing.

Regards,
Jon Blum
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2012, 04:34:45 AM »

I disagree, the plan has long been known and public. Even after the recent September announcement there was no stink until like a week to 10 days later when the other Boys' announcements claiming confusion and the press suggestions someone was being fired began. You might even narrow it down further to the real problem being baseless and speculative fan reaction.

I still argue that confusing reaction was the ill timed problem and not the old news announcement. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:50:04 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 01, 2012, 04:43:36 AM »

It is a matter of recorded and verifiable fact that the current Mike & Bruce dates were arranged months ago, I think even before the 50th anniversary tour began.

We have had, for 14 years now, the default "Beach Boys" show being the M&B deal, with Brian, Al etc. doing their own thing.

The 50th anniversary tour was a special event.

We have returned to the default situation. As arranged. As agreed. As announced - prior to the 50th anniversary tour beginning.

Would I like to see all 5 Beach Boys play together again? Hell yes. But I was never under any illusions that the guys would do anything other than they announced. And they are doing what they announced.

The news media whipped up the controversy with this silly, and false, idea that Brian and co. had been fired by Mike.

Mike can sure be a d*ckhead but he's done nothing here to fire anyone.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx