gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680978 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 03:56:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You Wanna Dance live 2015 with Dennis  (Read 11043 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »

Pretty weak falsetto from Jeff on this one. Is this typical lately

I hope it was an off night.  Hard to keep THAT up forever.  Where would they...Brian and now the Beach Boys...be w/o him?  Vocally I think, at this point Jeff has the toughest job.  Can'r whisper or fake your way through that.

Now now you two. Think happy please! Wink
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:53:51 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2015, 09:00:43 PM »

I saw Jeff with Brian at the Smile show in Montreal and later in Calgary a few years ago. Jeff was outstanding. I sure that his falsetto isn't failing him.

Make waves, not love
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 07:59:38 AM »

Big difference. The C50 was a celebration of all things Beach Boys with surviving members signing up. Besides, my comment relates more to the Mike-Dennis relationship. My opinion, and only my opinion, is Dennis would have been ok with it for the C50 because Brian, Al and Dave were involved. Due to the strained relationship he had with Mike I can't imagine him being happy after 2012 myself.

Just saying.

...and by the way, I'm always happy! Grin

edit

I'll also say this. Anyone who goes to a Beach Boys show has probably been disappointed about some aspect since the beginning. I've read enough here over the years. Brian wasn't there, Stamo's was there, Bruce clapped/ adjusted his mic too much. Mike pointed at he ladies like a dirty old man, Dennis was drunk/ absent, Carl was drunk, my favorite song wasn't on the set list, Bruce butchered God Only Knows, F**kin Barbara Ann again.

Sound familiar?

Why shouldn't fans be able to critique aspects both good and bad in their opinion. We know people in the loop read here so sometimes it can be a win-win.
No, I don't know what you are talking about. These guys are human and not once did I ever expect perfection. They are my favorite band, so maybe I am just a bit more forgiving. Never has any of that really hurt their popularity. As for the exploitation of Dennis & Carl, I don't care how many are on stage, if you believe that showing video is exploiting them, then it should'nt matter how many are on stage. You either do it or you don't, if just showing the video is an issue. Mike is just as much a Beach Boy as Brian & Al. We nit pick this sh*t to death. Both guys (Dennis & Carl) were Beach Boys and whoever goes out there to the public as the Beach Boys should be able to honor one of their own.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »

No, I don't know what you are talking about. These guys are human and not once did I ever expect perfection. They are my favorite band, so maybe I am just a bit more forgiving. Never has any of that really hurt their popularity. As for the exploitation of Dennis & Carl, I don't care how many are on stage, if you believe that showing video is exploiting them, then it shouldn't matter how many are on stage. You either do it or you don't, if just showing the video is an issue. Mike is just as much a Beach Boy as Brian & Al. We nit pick this sh*t to death. Both guys (Dennis & Carl) were Beach Boys and whoever goes out there to the public as the Beach Boys should be able to honor one of their own.

It shouldn't matter how many are on stage only in a scenario that exists outside of the actual sad reality of the situation. Like in the fictional scenario that Brian and Al decided to retire and not play live anymore, and not have any desire to be BBs anymore. I don't doubt that Mike loved/loves his late cousins Carl and Dennis (despite major differences); that's never been a remote consideration. He just has a hell of a strange way of showing love towards the Wilsons in general.

And, drbeachboy, I have yet to hear what you think of my question - if (heaven forbid) a living non-M&B BB member (who vocalized major disappointment/sadness about being squeezed out of the BBs) passes away... would it then be ok for a M&B video tribute to start appearing for that member too? Would that be totally ok and not weird at all too? Maybe defending the current video screen situation is easier since Dennis/Carl weren't around long enough to express their own displeasure/disgust with how C50 ended, but I'm not quite sure how one can defend hypothetical video screens for people who specifically voiced deep hurt over how things went down. Ya know, they're my favorite band too, but some things just don't seem right.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:54:04 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »

No, I don't know what you are talking about. These guys are human and not once did I ever expect perfection. They are my favorite band, so maybe I am just a bit more forgiving. Never has any of that really hurt their popularity. As for the exploitation of Dennis & Carl, I don't care how many are on stage, if you believe that showing video is exploiting them, then it shouldn't matter how many are on stage. You either do it or you don't, if just showing the video is an issue. Mike is just as much a Beach Boy as Brian & Al. We nit pick this sh*t to death. Both guys (Dennis & Carl) were Beach Boys and whoever goes out there to the public as the Beach Boys should be able to honor one of their own.

It shouldn't matter how many are on stage only in a scenario that exists outside of the actual sad reality of the situation. Like in the fictional scenario that Brian and Al decided to retire and not play live anymore, and not have any desire to be BBs anymore. I don't doubt that Mike loved/loves his late cousins Carl and Dennis (despite major differences); that's never been a remote consideration. He just has a hell of a strange way of showing love towards the Wilsons in general.

And, Pretty Funky, I have yet to hear what you think of my question - if (heaven forbid) a living non-M&B BB member (who vocalized major disappointment/sadness about being squeezed out of the BBs) passes away... would it then be ok for a M&B video tribute to start appearing for that member too? Would that be totally ok and not weird at all too? Maybe defending the current video screen situation is easier since Dennis/Carl weren't around long enough to express their own displeasure/disgust with how C50 ended, but I'm not quite sure how one can defend hypothetical video screens for people who specifically voiced deep hurt over how things went down. Ya know, they're my favorite band too, but some things just don't seem right.
You quoted my post, not PF's. So, are you asking him or asking me?

Actually, it shouldn't matter if any of the rest want to honor a departed band member, whether as a band or solo. They did have a past together and as for Mike and the Wilson's, they are family as well as band mates. All I can say is That if you don't like it, then don't go to the shows or even worse, stop being a fan if it's that offensive to you.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:17:32 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »

And, Pretty Funky, I have yet to hear what you think of my question - if (heaven forbid) a living non-M&B BB member (who vocalized major disappointment/sadness about being squeezed out of the BBs) passes away... would it then be ok for a M&B video tribute to start appearing for that member too? Would that be totally ok and not weird at all too? Maybe defending the current video screen situation is easier since Dennis/Carl weren't around long enough to express their own displeasure/disgust with how C50 ended, but I'm not quite sure how one can defend hypothetical video screens for people who specifically voiced deep hurt over how things went down. Ya know, they're my favorite band too, but some things just don't seem right.
You quoted my post, not PF's. So, are you asking him or asking me?

Sorry, that was a typo on my part. I was curious as to your opinion on that specific question, Dr.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 10:48:47 AM »

This "quote" was not mine but drBB's. Please correct it CP. Thanks.

I don't want to go off on a tangent but if we are talking hypothetical. I have never been a fan of the licensing situation of 1998 so I think the name should have been retired then. If the surviving members wanted to record/tour ie the C50 sure, bring on the tributes. If Mike with Bruce were solo in name I'd even allow them some video/picture tribute slack. Same for Brian/Al/David or a combination of.

Again, this is my preference. I don't want to derail the thread on the licensing of the name. There is enough of that elsewhere on the board.

edit.

Snap on the quote. No problem CP.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:50:19 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2015, 10:55:09 AM »

This "quote" was not mine but drBB's. Please correct it CP. Thanks.

I don't want to go off on a tangent but if we are talking hypothetical. I have never been a fan of the licensing situation of 1998 so I think the name should have been retired then. If the surviving members wanted to record/tour ie the C50 sure, bring on the tributes. If Mike with Bruce were solo in name I'd even allow them some video/picture tribute slack. Same for Brian/Al/David or a combination of.

Again, this is my preference. I don't want to derail the thread on the licensing of the name. There is enough of that elsewhere on the board.

edit.

Snap on the quote. No problem CP.

Fixed the quote in the earlier post, sorry PF... this is what happens when I try to post on an iphone  Undecided
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »

The issue, to me, with the video tribute is the timing. As far as I'm aware, they never used these prior to C50. In C50 they were employed as a means of including the deceased members of the band in the reunion. Post C50, Mike refuses to tour with the LIVING members of the Beach Boys, so reuniting the band is no longer his motivation. Yet, he continues to play the warm-fuzzy nostalgia-for-what-was with the deceased members.

Bottom Line: Video Dennis and Video Carl are great Beach Boys. They don't challenge Mike. Real Brian and Real Al, not so much.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »

The issue, to me, with the video tribute is the timing. As far as I'm aware, they never used these prior to C50. In C50 they were employed as a means of including the deceased members of the band in the reunion. Post C50, Mike refuses to tour with the LIVING members of the Beach Boys, so reuniting the band is no longer his motivation. Yet, he continues to play the warm-fuzzy nostalgia-for-what-was with the deceased members.

Bottom Line: Video Dennis and Video Carl are great Beach Boys. They don't challenge Mike. Real Brian and Real Al, not so much.
OK, so the idea appears with C50. Mike has continued using it since. There is no challenging here. Just a continuation of honoring the two departed family band members.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,