gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 07:56:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1741244 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: July 24, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »

Given that he was hired by The Beatles to assemble the Let It Be album, I wonder if Phil Spector was ever considered to make something of the SMiLE tapes. Probably not, but you could imagine it seeming like a good idea to somebody at some point.

Phil doesn't do 'edit' records. Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 24, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »

Going back to Fishmonk's point about us already having proper mixes of much Smile material...I assume he was talking  about the Good Vibrations box set?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: July 24, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »

This might be a stupid question but will the " Hum be dum hum be dum" be added to this version of Good Vibrations

I can't imagine so.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: July 24, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »

This might be a stupid question but will the " Hum be dum hum be dum" be added to this version of Good Vibrations

I can't imagine so.

I can see it being added in as a bonus song on the extras disc - however I'm sure they'll use the single version for the album disc.

I love that 'Hum Be Dum' part - I don't know why Brian left it out....it sounds so exotic and SMiLE-esque.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2604 on: July 24, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »

105 pages and there is still a mention of "fan mixes" alongside talk of an award-winning, professional recording engineer mixing the project with the original first-generation studio master tapes on equipment much like would have been used when those tapes were brand new? Let me wash that down with a belt of whiskey or three before I say too much more... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 24, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

I think you are inadvertantly implying there is an "album version" of Good Vibrations by saying thereis a "single version".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: July 24, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »

I think you are inadvertantly implying there is an "album version" of Good Vibrations by saying thereis a "single version".

Inadvertent indeed Cheesy...I'll reiterate...I am sure they'll use the Smiley Smile version of Good Vibrations for the SMiLE album disc.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2607 on: July 24, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

Many of us here have waited decades for this set, the Holy Grail in many eyes. if you can't afford to buy, get a paper round, quit drinking for a month or something, quick, before it comes out...

I have to take considerable exception, most respectfully, with that statement: I've been out of work since March last year, have been applying for jobs continually and in all that time had precisely four interviews. I don't drink or smoke, I don't run a car. To buy the box would cost roughly two, three weeks state benefits, which right now are my only income and more important to pay for utilities, housing, food and phone (you try job-hunting offline). Unless something happens between now and late September, I certainly won't be able to afford the box and probably not the 2CD set either. Smile is hugely important to me, but not more so than a warm house and food on the table.

Same boat, only I didn't qualify for *any* benefits. Although I do have a job now, I'm so far behind that I may not be able to avoid  foreclosure. It will be a long time before I'll be able to buy Smile, so bully for the delays LOL

Every time somebody illegally downloads a leak (when it happens) a Capitol lawyer kills a kitten.

1) I hate cats

2) Why not download a leek?

:D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:40:36 PM by Fear 2 Stop » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 24, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »

I can't imagine so.

Cry

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 24, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »

i thought that this was basically going to be "the beach boys present brian wilson presents smile" so maybe the humdedums will make an appearance on a good vibrations mix?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: July 24, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »

I can't imagine so.

Cry

Haha - well, don't take my word for it. I have no legitimate evidence to reinforce this point. Still, if the intention is to defer to Brian's 1966/67 vision(s) for the album, so far as they existed, my guess is they would choose the track that Brian himself chose to release in 1966.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: July 24, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »

i thought that this was basically going to be "the beach boys present brian wilson presents smile"

There's not much to suggest that's the case at this point.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: July 24, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »

i thought that this was basically going to be "the beach boys present brian wilson presents smile"

"Linett says Wilson's 2004 "Smile" album has served as a blueprint for the current project"

http://www.billboard.com/news/beach-boys-lost-smile-album-to-see-release-1005070202.story#/news/beach-boys-lost-smile-album-to-see-release-1005070202.story

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: July 24, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »

Inadvertent indeed Cheesy...I'll reiterate...I am sure they'll use the Smiley Smile version of Good Vibrations for the SMiLE album disc.

I like your first statement better.  I think that even the most casual Beach Boys fans would know what version you meant by the "single version."  Sure, your statement might get them wondering what other versions might exist, but at least they know that you're talking about the "hit" 45 version.

Talking about the "Smiley Smile version," on the other hand, only makes things clear to the small minority of fans who know that the version on Smiley Smile (a pretty arcane and unpopular album) is the same as the hit 45 version.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: July 24, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Going back to Fishmonk's point about us already having proper mixes of much Smile material...I assume he was talking  about the Good Vibrations box set?

As great as Good Vibrations is(Probably the closest thing to a perfect 3 minute pop song IMO), to me it seems quite out of place with the rest of the songs on SMilE.
Anyone else agree? Shocked
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:20:22 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: July 24, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »

Going back to Fishmonk's point about us already having proper mixes of much Smile material...I assume he was talking  about the Good Vibrations box set?

As great as Good Vibrations is(Probably the closest thing to a perfect 3 minute pop song IMO), to me it seems quite out of place with the rest of the songs on SMilE.

I used to agree with that but after years of listening to boots I'ts just a part of smile to me now

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: July 24, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »

What I`ll be looking forward to the most are I Don`t Know and the Jasper Dailey tunes.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2617 on: July 24, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »

It seems out of place because the song is as much a part of Smile as it was a part of Smiley Smile where it found a home on an album. Yeah, I agreed to some degree and posted as much a few months ago and someone (use that term loosely) must have been angry enough with my posts to register under a phony name just long enough to chime in with some nonsense about "yaking" too much. Neat stuff Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: July 24, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »

I suppose it's a matter of preference, however; compare GV to Cabinessence, Heroes and Villians, CIFTTM (though I think this comparison would be best after hearing a properly mixed version) - anyways, many of the big production songs on SMiLE carry the vibe of GV.

A few months ago I was under the impression that GV had no place on SMiLE (and had more of a place on Pet Sounds) - for GV is a love song and has nothing to do with bicycle trips, spirituality, or the elements....then someone here pointed out that GV is somewhat of an element song - it's that elusive ethereal element that none of us can see...but we can feel those vibrations sometimes. It's also very spiritual in that aspect, and it also ties in with the girl/boy theme that is found in both Americana and Life suites - when seen in this regard GV is the song that ties it all together...IMO.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:51:35 PM by rab2591 » Logged

dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: July 24, 2011, 09:05:23 PM »

I suppose it's a matter of preference, however; compare GV to Cabinessence, Heroes and Villians, CIFTTM (though I think this comparison would be best after hearing a properly mixed version) - anyways, many of the big production songs on SMiLE carry the vibe of GV.

A few months ago I was under the impression that GV had no place on SMiLE (and had more of a place on Pet Sounds) - for GV is a love song and has nothing to do with bicycle trips, spirituality, or the elements....then someone here pointed out that GV is somewhat of an element song - it's that elusive ethereal element that none of us can see...but we can feel those vibrations sometimes. It's also very spiritual in that aspect, and it also ties in with the girl/boy theme that is found in both Americana and Life suites - when seen in this regard GV is the song that ties it all together...IMO.

I agree with a lot of the points you make, however when I first heard the Brian Wilson release of SMiLE back in 2004(The first time I ever heard smile as a whole) ,my first impression was that the last track -Good Vibrations-  to me, felt like it didn't fit in with the rest of the songs/themes on the record.
I'm not being deliberately provocative, but I'm preparing a bomb shelter to protect myself from any incoming/angry grenades in any case. Grin Tongue
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:13:12 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2620 on: July 24, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »

As far as spirituality and that unknown concept of "picking up vibrations", wouldn't it be just as accurate to say that was Brian's mindset throughout much of the year 1966, not specifically Pet Sounds or Smile for that matter?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: July 24, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »

"Linett says Wilson's 2004 "Smile" album has served as a blueprint for the current project"

http://www.billboard.com/news/beach-boys-lost-smile-album-to-see-release-1005070202.story#/news/beach-boys-lost-smile-album-to-see-release-1005070202.story

Hey Rab,

That quotation has mislead a lot of people. I've written about this before here but I will repaste it, because a lot of people are under the misconception that Linett claimed that The Smile Sessions Disc 1 will be modelled on BWPS. I think mostly this results from the fact that his comments were taken out of context in the summary from the article above. But if you look at the actual interview where the summary comes from, Linett says this:

If you take Brian's 2004 version as a blueprint, [The Smile Sessions will have] all of that music, all of the significant parts and even the little segue ways

What this is suggesting is not that they are going to replicate the structure of BWPS. Rather, he is saying here that all the music that is on BWPS can be found from The Smile Sessions (something that the serious Smile fan already knew) and therefore all the music that was on BWPS will also be on the boxset. Now this can mean two things - he is misusing the word "blueprint" or the sentence as a whole isn't coherent. This doesn't necessarily mean that the tracklisting for Disc 1 of the Smile Sessions won't be modelled on BWPS. Maybe it will. Either way, Linett is not suggesting it will in this quotation. I think the only way to really make sense of the sentence is to read the sentence without the word "blueprint" and see it this way: "If you think about BWPS, we have all that music available for The Smile Sessions."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:43:10 PM by rockandroll » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: July 24, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »

I have to say I think BWPS sounds way too slick and modern, attributes that we certainly will not be exposed to on The Smile Sessions (not to mention having the boys' vocals, including BW anno 66/67 will make the single CD  superior to BWPS).

I like 'Surf's Up' from the album with the same name, but to me Brian's piano demo is a lot better. To my ears, Brian was meant to sing it, and I never cared for the instrumentation on the album version (up till "Dove nested towers..." anyway).

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: July 24, 2011, 11:37:52 PM »

Better yet, let's shoot for 200 Pages!!  There's still plenty of time, everyone just has to step up to the plate more often. 

The great Smile filibuster of 2011. I say keep this thread going strong until the item actually drops!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: July 24, 2011, 11:43:29 PM »

I like 'Surf's Up' from the album with the same name, but to me Brian's piano demo is a lot better. To my ears, Brian was meant to sing it, and I never cared for the instrumentation on the album version (up till "Dove nested towers..." anyway).

Have you heard the Anne Wallace mix? Personally I think the music track to Surf's Up Pt. 1 is one of Brian's greatest achievements. The demo is beautiful but it really does pale in comparison to the real thing and I can't even fathom what he had in store for Pt. 2. Maybe the problem is that he couldn't fathom it either. But I find that hard to believe.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx