gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:24:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brief Anecdote Re "Barbara Ann" ca. '65 From Ken Mansfield  (Read 2620 times)
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2007, 10:24:30 AM »

According to a review of a new book, "The White Book: The Beatles, the Bands, the Biz: An Insider's Look at an Era" by Ken Mansfield:

http://newsblaze.com/story/20070601073604tsop.np/topstory.html

"Being snubbed for life by Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson in 1965, when [Ken]Mansfield, then the National Promotion Manager at Capitol Records, tried to discourage Brian from releasing the band's loose, party jam, "Barbara Ann" as a single - Brian gave him a furious glare and ignored his advice, and the record eventually became a worldwide smash."

It's hard to imagine Brian giving anyone a "furious" glare.

I have not yet read this book; but a copy is supposedly in the mail on its way to me.  It's mostly about the Beatles, but maybe there are a few more BB/BW tidbits thrown-in.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »

That's it for the BB's in the book, and the incident actually got him pulled from working with the Beach Boys. I just interviewed Ken extensively, and reminded him that there was a reason for his doubts as to hit-potential of "Barbara Ann" -- namely the failure "The Little Girl I Once Knew." He agreed but said he had forgotten to mention it in the book. Highly, highly recomended read. A really sweet guy too.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:14:14 PM »

"Being snubbed for life by Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson in 1965, when [Ken]Mansfield, then the National Promotion Manager at Capitol Records, tried to discourage Brian from releasing the band's loose, party jam, "Barbara Ann" as a single - Brian gave him a furious glare and ignored his advice, and the record eventually became a worldwide smash."

That's interesting, because, for years, I read that the story was the other way around. I thought it was Capitol Records' idea to release "Barbara Ann" and actually caught the group off guard. I thought I heard an interview somewhere (with Mike?) that they didn't know "Barbara Ann" was a single until he/they heard it on the radio.
XY
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 09:28:16 PM »

That's interesting, because, for years, I read that the story was the other way around. I thought it was Capitol Records' idea to release "Barbara Ann" and actually caught the group off guard. I thought I heard an interview somewhere (with Mike?) that they didn't know "Barbara Ann" was a single until he/they heard it on the radio.

That's the story the BB told over the years. But on the other hand, the boys knew that "Barbara Ann" had potential, because they performed it on the Jack Benny Show on October 22, 1965 to promote the upcoming Party-album.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:32:22 PM by Jasper » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 04:57:24 AM »

In a similar way, Brad Elliott claims to have uncovered a Capitol Records memo to the effect that Brian insisted "Sloop John B." be included on "Pet Sounds", which debunks another long-established myth.  Maybe someone here has seen that memo, and maybe there's more to that story...
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »

The story I remember is that Brad uncovered an early Pet sounds track list by Brian that had Sloop John B on it - showing that he intended it to be on the album all along.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »

It's in the booklet for the 1st mono/stereo reissue of Pet Sounds in 1999. Memo dates from circa 23 February 1966.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 01:43:21 PM »

But on the other hand, the boys knew that "Barbara Ann" had potential, because they performed it on the Jack Benny Show on October 22, 1965 to promote the upcoming Party-album.

And that might be my favorite version of the song. It really rocks. It's short, but rocks.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx