gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680946 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 03:22:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW & Band: private show @ House of Blues, Dallas (October 12th 2012)  (Read 34579 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »

From BW's Facebook page:

A private show in Dallas at the House of Blues

Is that Lizik on bass? Is he back?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:38:25 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »

As I said on the thread I put up just about simultaneously, I thought it looked like a soundcheck.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »

As I said on the thread I put up just about simultaneously, I thought it looked like a soundcheck.
Definitely does, yeah. But most importantly: Brian's back at work and Nicky Wonder is back, as well as... Bob Lizik?  Cheesy
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »

I don't think it's a recent picture

Never mind
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:43:29 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »

Definitely does, yeah. But most importantly: Brian's back at work and Nicky Wonder is back, as well as... Bob Lizik?  Cheesy

Magnifying it, does look rather like Lizik. Show starts at 9 Central according to the press release I found online (http://media.baylorhealth.com/releases/-the-party-offers-cure-for-the-summertime-blues, put up last week). I wonder if any guests might turn up...in a white suit, even.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »

Brian's played his share of HOBs but I can't recall if he's "done Dallas" before. (Warning to M&Bistas - non-family-friendly allusion there.)
Jason
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »

Well, he certainly had no problem resuming his solo career... Roll Eyes

I expect eighty-seven fucking pages filled with anti-Brian sentiment. If you're going to bitch about Michael doing the same thing BE FUCKING CONSISTENT ABOUT IT.
Jason
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »

Brian's played his share of HOBs but I can't recall if he's "done Dallas" before. (Warning to M&Bistas - non-family-friendly allusion there.)

ZING! You're so clever! Not.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »

Brian does Dallas!  Where's Debbie?  Where's Taylor?

Hey, there's one Tasty Brother - all we need is Jimmy Hines and we got two back! 

Cool to see Bob Lizik back on bass, even if it might be temporary.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »

Brian does Dallas!  Where's Debbie?  Where's Taylor?

Hey, there's one Tasty Brother - all we need is Jimmy Hines and we got two back! 

Cool to see Bob Lizik back on bass, even if it might be temporary.

Time heals all wounds?
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »

It would be interesting to know what kind of thumbs-up the band got on it. At Facebook, Probyn gave no indication that this was afoot. (Neither did Jeff, but then Jeff never gives no indications nohow.)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »

Well, he certainly had no problem resuming his solo career... Roll Eyes

I expect eighty-seven f***ing pages filled with anti-Brian sentiment. If you're going to bitch about Michael doing the same thing BE f***ING CONSISTENT ABOUT IT.

Brian Wilson isn't promoting himself as The Beach Boys.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jason
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »

Because Brian's not authorized to promote his band as "the Beach Boys"; he DID, however, vote to authorize Michael to promote his band as "the Beach Boys".  Just saying. For all of the malarkey about "WHY CAN'T THEY GO ON?!?!", this has received a rather...muted response. I know that double standards are something to be proud of in the Brianista world, but...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »

Because Brian's not authorized to promote his band as "the Beach Boys"; he DID, however, vote to authorize Michael to promote his band as "the Beach Boys".  Just saying. For all of the malarkey about "WHY CAN'T THEY GO ON?!?!", this has received a rather...muted response. I know that double standards are something to be proud of in the Brianista world, but...

I completely understand that the reunion tour was finite. I know the logistics of why they cannot go on. I only ever dispute the fact that M&B should tour as "The Beach Boys" so close in proximity to the end of the 50th celebration. I know M. Love has the right to tour under that name, but if his thing is about not cheapening the legacy of the band, well....

Even if he could, you think Brian would tour as The Beach Boys if he was the only original member? Doubt it.
And, yeah, I like Brian Wilson more than I like Mike Love. On a lot of different levels.

Jason
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »

I completely understand that the reunion tour was finite. I know the logistics of why they cannot go on. I only ever dispute the fact that M&B should tour as "The Beach Boys" so close in proximity to the end of the 50th celebration. I know M. Love has the right to tour under that name, but if his thing is about not cheapening the legacy of the band, well....

Even if he could, you think Brian would tour as The Beach Boys if he was the only original member? Doubt it.
And, yeah, I like Brian Wilson more than I like Mike Love. On a lot of different levels.

I agree with your first paragraph. Just saying that for all of the freaking out over things going back to how they were before the reunion (even when we all knew it would end), Brian's return to solo performing has seen zero response. I'm just pointing out a glaring hypocrisy.

And would Brian tour as the Beach Boys if he was the only original member? He's said himself he'd rather have Michael do it, so I doubt it. I also never say never.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll.................

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jason
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll.................

No, no...it's Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »

Wow, it really turned that quickly into a "Seeeeeeeee???  Brian's doing it too!"

No, Brian doing solo gigs isn't the same thing at all. First of all, it sounds like Brian wanted to do more reunion gigs and may not have even been able to do this gig if the reunion had kept going. Brian wanted more reunion gigs, Mike did not. So no, this isn' t the same at all.

Oh yeah, and there's the little extra bit of info concerning that fact that Brian isn't calling his band "The Beach Boys."

Mike is doing his gigs as "The Beach Boys", and is doing so at the exclusion of more reunion gigs. Brian is doing a solo gig, and we don't even know when he agreed to the gig.

So if Brian or Al or David, who all wanted to do more reunion gigs, now go do some solo or alternate gigs instead of staying home and being the "old man yelling at a cloud", that isn't anything like what Mike has done. Sorry, not even close. If Brian had secretly planned to also ditch the reunion and do solo gigs only, I'm sure one of Mike's "clarification" statments would have informed us of this fact.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »

What will be interesting to find out (if we do) is how far ahead this was planned. It would be so hilarious if it was found out this was planned while the 50th tour was in progress (or before...), it would confirm that everything in the recent press has been a load of bullshit.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »

I agree with your first paragraph. Just saying that for all of the freaking out over things going back to how they were before the reunion (even when we all knew it would end), Brian's return to solo performing has seen zero response. I'm just pointing out a glaring hypocrisy.

And would Brian tour as the Beach Boys if he was the only original member? He's said himself he'd rather have Michael do it, so I doubt it. I also never say never.

It's not hypocrisy - there's a world of difference between Brian doing a one-off show under his own name and Mike playing shows calling his band The Beach Boys.  This was true even before the reunion tour, but the disparity is even greater now that we've seen the real Beach Boys in action.

As was stated in the other thread, if Brian booked shows for himself using the Beach Boys name (forget the licensing issue for the moment - we all agree that the name has more meaning than what's written on a contract), he would be rightfully subjected to the same criticisms.  But in playing this show, Brian is doing no disrespect to the Beach Boys name, and the same can't be said for Mike.

Additionally, unless Brian booked this solo show months in advance, it isn't the same as Mike booking a "Beach Boys" show during the middle of the reunion tour.  Mike has already seemingly ruled out more reunion shows, at least for the time being, so this strikes me as more of a reactive move by Brian, dissimilar to the proactive move made by Mike in booking October "Beach Boys" shows.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »

Correct, I believe. This is Brian saying, I'll show you. Anyway, I think it's a great move.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 04:44:14 PM »

How can you compare Brian doing a solo show under the name "Brian Wilson" to Mike and Bruce booking a tour under the name "The Beach Boys" apparently against Brian and Al's wishes.

Strange argument

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »

Mike (and Historical) play a benefit for a hospital then go to Waco. Brian plays a benefit for a hospital...that's in Waco. Is this what Jan's old pals Stan and Ollie would call tit for tat?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »

Additionally, unless Brian booked this solo show months in advance, it isn't the same as Mike booking a "Beach Boys" show during the middle of the reunion tour.  Mike has already seemingly ruled out more reunion shows, at least for the time being, so this strikes me as more of a reactive move by Brian, dissimilar to the proactive move made by Mike in booking October "Beach Boys" shows.

Why would you think the show *wasn't* booked months in advance?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx