gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 02:13:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Denny/Brian's issues and the band's late '70s/early '80s tragectory  (Read 1984 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »

Did people in the band other than Brian/Denny ever consider that the Wilson brothers' issues could, in part, be due to their perceptions of the band's creative stagnation in the  late '70s/early '80s? How that could have hurt the Wilsons more than anyone could possibly know? Just wondering if anyone thinks that their bandmates ever thought this, and if it ever influenced their decisions.

I suppose one could make a strong case that Love You epitomized letting a person in need of help take the reigns to see what they could do, and felt that it wasn't something they wanted to repeat. Yet it just seems like such a no-brainer that post-Love You, the Wilson brothers' issues were not helped by being stuck in the oldies vortex. I just wonder if that was ever taken into consideration and/or just brushed off.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:25:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:24:18 PM »

delete
KDS
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:39:56 AM »

Did people in the band other than Brian/Denny ever consider that the Wilson brothers' issues could, in part, be due to their perceptions of the band's creative stagnation in the  late '70s/early '80s? How that could have hurt the Wilsons more than anyone could possibly know? Just wondering if anyone thinks that their bandmates ever thought this, and if it ever influenced their decisions.

I suppose one could make a strong case that Love You epitomized letting a person in need of help take the reigns to see what they could do, and felt that it wasn't something they wanted to repeat. Yet it just seems like such a no-brainer that post-Love You, the Wilson brothers' issues were not helped by being stuck in the oldies vortex. I just wonder if that was ever taken into consideration and/or just brushed off.

Interesting topic.

Dennis was still creating at this time though.  Since The Beach Boys were busy becoming a parody of themselves, Dennis took his moodier material onto the POB album, and the Bambu project. 

Brian wasn't exactly bringing grade A material to the table at this time. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 06:40:16 AM »

Wow, that is reaching a bit, isn't it? Brian already had his issues and so did Dennis (at least starting) by the mid-70's. Dennis began the sucking vortex, after going to Jim Guercio and him taking them down the oldies route.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 06:50:17 AM »

You know, going the oldies route in concert and producing new music in the studio is two different animals. I would have no problem with 15 Big Ones had the band sang better on it. The background vocals were honestly, run of the mill. Not Beach Boy grade vocals at all. Love you was edgy, but the lyrics to some songs were not quite up to par. MIU had little participation from Carl and Dennis. So you can't blame them for that. LA (Light Album) was as close as they got to sounding of the times. Who did they go to for that album? Carl & Dennis. The last three albums sold poorly. Why? Because the average fan had them pigeonholed in their own past glories. If those albums had sold decently, I think we would have seen better ouput and maybe more output into the early through mid-80's.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 08:27:39 AM »

If anyone wants to check out what could have happened if by the mid 70s The Beach Boys ditched the oldies and continued with releasing originals albums in the style of Holland/Surf's Up through the 70s and early 80s, check out my alternate tracklists in the alternate discography thread. I really put a lot of time and effort into making 15 Big Ones/M.I.U/L.A./Keepin' The Summer Alive to fit into more serious sounding and unified LPs. Cheers! Wink
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »

Everyone (including me) always wants to blame Mike and Al for the Wilson brothers issues, saying those two were taking the band down the oldies surf and car route. Man I know I always railed against them. But as you get older, you start to realize some thing.

There were 5 people in the band. If 2 want to do one thing and the other three don't, the 3 win. But, the 3 have to be well enough to take command. And they weren't. Not blaming them, they we abused and mentally ill. But those are the facts. So the two who were sober took over.

Brian said in many interviews in the 70's he was amazed that Carl, Dennis and Al didn't want to do the older hits and wanted to do the late 60's and early 70's tunes. He said in one interview the needed to be proud of their "thing"  and perform the oldies. He went against this in the 80's, but that had the air of Landy directing him, as he added he thought all of his old songs were stupid, which he now says is not true.

Guercio pushed them into doing more oldies back in '74. He was the first one to push this.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »

And the oldies were what the GENERAL PUBLIC wanted. So they could have ignored the hits, and just played album tracks for fans in small theaters, or give the people what they want and play arenas and stadiums. No brainer! But they did continue to try to make new music, and if the new stuff had been commercially successful, there would have been demand for that music to be played live. It was an uphill battle.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx