gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 04:51:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Box set/copyright dump…  (Read 5104 times)
Till I Die
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2023, 03:06:44 PM »

Does ANYONE know where we are at.  Listening to the Sail On boxed set and I love it.  Ready to purchase more!
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 07:51:51 PM »

Not expecting any new box set this year.  I'm sure they would've announced it by now for the holiday shopping season.  No idea on a copyright dump, we can only hope for something.  🤞  Other murmurs on the net say the next set may come in 2026 (if at all).  We could all be gone by then the way things are going (though I certainly hope not).  A painfully long wait IMO because I want to hear everything they ever recorded like tomorrow!  I wish they'd do some subscription based thing like the Grateful Dead or the once talked about "Beach Boys Central" rarities website.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 07:56:46 PM by Bedroom Tapes » Logged
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 02:25:20 AM »

Tons of missed opportunities, as always.
Remixes of the first half a dozen albums.
Using AI to separate and totally remix them (like the recent Beatles tracks)
Another ‘keep an eye on summer’ type treatment for an album or two from the early days
More instrumentals, acapellas, etc from the early days
Proper stereo version of Smile sessions with new unearthed discovered (the Parks acetate for example)

As always, zero communication and missed opportunities.

Please spare me “they owe us nothing”. They aren’t getting any younger, and neither are we. I would like to hear the love you sessions before I meet Carl and Dennis
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 04:42:01 AM »

I bet there's still going to be a copyright dump.  Howie hinted at some sort of release in a Facebook post, and it appears to have been referring to a copyright dump given what I've heard from others regarding the "poor" sales of the Sail On Sailor box.  My bet is we see some sort of live 1973 release.  I think we could see an Endless Summer box (as I think c-man or HeyJude once referred to one) with alternates of those classics in 2024, with maybe a copyright dump of the Caribou recordings.  2025 could have both a Beachago live release (maybe as a more mainstream release/single show/best of) and a "1965" box to cover Today & Summer Days and Summer Nights.   Maybe I'm too much of an optimist (on these things; I'm a pessimist on many others - an optimistic pessimist).   Grin
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 04:07:49 AM »

NEWLY UNEARTHED Van Dyke Parks SMiLE ACETATE???  Where did this news come from?!

What does it consist of???  Where can I find out more about it???

Love and merci,
Dan Lega 
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 01:42:36 PM »

NEWLY UNEARTHED Van Dyke Parks SMiLE ACETATE???  Where did this news come from?!

What does it consist of???  Where can I find out more about it???

Love and merci,
Dan Lega 

Dan Lega, I think Rebel is referring to the version of Child Is The Father of the Man released on the Friends copyright dump Wake the World. IIRC, Mark Linett and Alan Boyd weren’t allowed by BRI to buy the acetate and/or Van Dyke’s ex-wife Durrie wouldn’t sell it, but Mark and Alan were able to record that one song over the phone? If I am 100% wrong, I’d love for someone to correct me.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 05:10:09 PM »

I kinda hope we get something at least for 1974, even if it's just the 2 unreleased tracks and the possible alternate versions or mixes of the already released material.

They better release Rollin' Up to Heaven unedited though otherwise there's no point in buying the set lol. Vulgar, crazy, and yet funny at the same time. You can't really say too much about that with other artists LOL

And I also low-key kinda dig Battle Hymn too

The big selling point for me however would be that version of Child of Winter with Dennis and Carl singing lead instead of Mike and Brian. If we get that I'll buy the whole set, even if it's just a digital one like the Friends and 20/20 sets.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 07:26:24 PM »

^  I'll have what he's having as they say.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 11:38:47 PM »

I think if there was going to be a release of anything we’d have gotten some sort of word by now

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx