gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 02:46:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do you hate Mike Love?  (Read 168329 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »

You know I really don't get why some of you waste your time coming to this board.

I'm not sure why you do, all you ever do is bitch, bitch, bitch.

Somebody else knocked Brian's solo albums, only in America would people criticize an artist of Brian's magnitude.

Oooops, somebody dared to criticise the demi-god by saying they don't think one of his albums is any good. Try to be a man about it and not cry. BTW, I'm from the UK.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »

Then he can explain why Somewhere Near Japan didn't count in the dilution department, while BW and AJ's songs did. Maybe it was featured in a documentary on toilets in Osaka or something, I dunno.

Maybe.  Maybe after Landy and Al had broken the concept Mike was receptive enough or sensitive enough to see their vision.

Was Wipeout ever in a movie either?

Yeah, that must have been it  Roll Eyes

Please share if you know different.

Ah yes. Perfectly ok for you to throw out baseless speculation, but it's on us to prove you wrong. Just like how Mike wrote Vega-Tables and it's on me to call VDP and prove you wrong, right?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »

Then he can explain why Somewhere Near Japan didn't count in the dilution department, while BW and AJ's songs did. Maybe it was featured in a documentary on toilets in Osaka or something, I dunno.

Maybe.  Maybe after Landy and Al had broken the concept Mike was receptive enough or sensitive enough to see their vision.

Yeah, that must have been it  Roll Eyes

Ah yes. Perfectly ok for you to throw out baseless speculation, but it's on us to prove you wrong. Just like how Mike wrote Vega-Tables and it's on me to call VDP and prove you wrong, right?

It was a joke reply to ontor's post right there above it. Mike made the claims about the album.

Edit: Well it wasn't "right" above there because I didn't quote it but it includes a joke reply to ontor's previous post:  "Well, you know how Mike is when the rest of the band thwart his concept albums. They just weren't receptive enough or sensitive enough to see his vision."

Also, you don't need to ask VDP (though it would be good) as Mike is an author of record of "Mama Says".
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:52:23 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »

Oooops, somebody dared to criticise the demi-god by saying they don't think one of his albums is any good. Try to be a man about it and not cry. BTW, I'm from the UK.

You called the album
a real steaming pile of dogshit sh*t

Whatever "dogshit sh*t" is lol. Either way, you criticized the album in a pretty disrespectful way...so it's not surprising a couple people got offended by it. And no one is crying about it, just pointing out the absolutely childish manner in which you knocked the album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »

More like Pisces brothers is dogshit. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2015, 12:57:28 PM »

More like Pisces brothers is dogshit. Wink

Speaking of childish.  Roll Eyes
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: August 08, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »

It was a joke reply to ontor's post right there above it. Mike made the claims about the album.

Edit: Well it wasn't "right" above there because I didn't quote it but it includes a joke reply to ontor's previous post:  "Well, you know how Mike is when the rest of the band thwart his concept albums. They just weren't receptive enough or sensitive enough to see his vision."

Also, you don't need to ask VDP (though it would be good) as Mike is an author of record of "Mama Says".

You're a miracle

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »

you criticized the album in a pretty disrespectful way...so it's not surprising a couple people got offended by it. And no one is crying about it, just pointing out the absolutely childish manner in which you knocked the album.

A turd by any other name is still a turd. And I only mentioned NPP in the first place because YOU used SIP poor sales figures as a reflection of it's musical content. Well NPP has only sold twice as much as that did and that's with all the internet hype and coming off the back of a #3 reunion record. Yet you no doubt think NPP is a great record, so your argument falls apart.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »

There is no comparison between music sales in 1992 and 2015.  Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2015, 01:07:06 PM »

You're a miracle

Thanks.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »

There is no comparison between music sales in 1992 and 2015.  Roll Eyes
Oh, so NPP would have been a massive hit if half a million people didn't download it from a torrent site, gotcha. Roll Eyes

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »

It was a hit, only you seem to deny that. Roll Eyes

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »

By today's standards it was. The industry has changed massively. Just like TWGMTR hitting #3 was huge . Most albums peek during their initial week.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2015, 01:15:50 PM »

It was a hit, only you seem to deny that. Roll Eyes

It was not a hit, sorry.  Though I will say some of that is due to marketing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2015, 01:15:55 PM »

you criticized the album in a pretty disrespectful way...so it's not surprising a couple people got offended by it. And no one is crying about it, just pointing out the absolutely childish manner in which you knocked the album.

A turd by any other name is still a turd. And I only mentioned NPP in the first place because YOU used SIP poor sales figures as a reflection of it's musical content. Well NPP has only sold twice as much as that did and that's with all the internet hype and coming off the back of a #3 reunion record. Yet you no doubt think NPP is a great record, so your argument falls apart.

Funny because NPP actually charted....did SIP? Uhhhh no. I used poor sales figures and other examples as a reflection of SIP's musical content - but let's ignore the other examples because they completely refute your point. Coming off the back of a #3 reunion record? One thing missing from NPP that TWGMTR had was the name 'The Beach Boys'....no sh*t it went to #3 with that name, whereas Brian Wilson's name and music is lesser known to the public.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2015, 01:17:51 PM »

By today's standards it was. The industry has changed massively. Just like TWGMTR hitting #3 was huge . Most albums peek during their initial week.

Yeah, but now you're bringing logic into this....which goes completely over some people's heads here.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2015, 01:22:17 PM »

Do you honestly think the reason a Beach Boys record in the early 90s (or whenever SIP was released) didn't sell is the same reason a Brian Wilson album isn't selling in 2015?  Further, you are isolating one part of the argument to the neglect of the full argument.  Poor sales when sales were robust plus critical panning plus terrible production plus bad music (I would argue) = SIP.  On the other hand, NPP has poor sales in a radically different music environment, received some critical praise, one song has won an award, the production, while far better than SIP, is admittedly too "AOR" for my ears, and the songs are pretty good, some excellent (in my opinion).  And of course a BW release does not have the benefit of the BB brand name, which carries a lot of weight.  In fact, I would argue that the general public wants to hear either Brian's falsetto or Mike's signature lead.  Furthermore, youth sells.  So as far as sales are concerned, NPP is handicapped, in the golf sense, in at least three regards:

1. By not having the BB brand attached
2. By being released in a sales environment drastically less robust than when SIP was released.  
3. The performer is 20+ years older, and in fact can be considered elderly

The point being, low album sales in the early 90s says a lot more about an album than low album sales in 2015, which is why you have to consider not just the other points of the argument, but you also have to "grade on a curve" in regards to sales.  So the argument in total, not just the single bit you chose to isolate because it fits your POV, does not at all fall apart.  But you knew that, you just picked the easy target and ignored the rest.

EoL
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:26:13 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »

I don't think Mike's rumored solo album or Pisces brothers would have charted in 1992 or 2015 due to a lack of songwriting talent from ML without BW.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »

Funny because NPP actually charted....did SIP? Uhhhh no. I used poor sales figures and other examples as a reflection of SIP's musical content - but let's ignore the other examples because they completely refute your point.

Errrrm, I did argue all your other examples.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2015, 01:51:31 PM »

Do you honestly think the reason a Beach Boys record in the early 90s (or whenever SIP was released) didn't sell is the same reason a Brian Wilson album isn't selling in 2015?  

The point I am making is that using sales figures to back up the quality of an album is not always a clear cut method, if it was then Sunflower would be one of the worst records the BBs ever made

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »

Funny because NPP actually charted....did SIP? Uhhhh no. I used poor sales figures and other examples as a reflection of SIP's musical content - but let's ignore the other examples because they completely refute your point.

Errrrm, I did argue all your other examples.

Errrrm, your initial argument was that "SIP is a middling latter day release such as KTSA, BB85 and Still Crusin' and would be viewed as such by many Brianistas if Brian had even minimal involvement in it"

The fact that SIP was the first Beach Boys studio album that failed to chart, the fact it had no singles that charted, the fact that it sold less than 10,000 copies upon release, the fact that Beach Boy historians Andrew G Doe and John Tobler called it "the absolute nadir of their recording career", the fact that it isn't sold anymore, the fact that no one in Beach Boys management seems to be eager to re-release it makes it an entirely different animal from KTSA, BB85, and Still Cruisin.

It's completely laughable that you think Brianistas hate SIP because Brian wasn't a part of it.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »

I think Stars and Stripes is a far worse album, I've managed to listen to that stinker about twice.

I'd say musically S&S is far better. It's just that the whole project is redundant if you're a BBs fan. I have versions with them singing leads, why would I want to listen to them being relegated to bvs?

SIP isn't despised because it's Mike-led, it's despised because in many places it is, for want of a better word, offensive. The desecration of Surfin', the repulsive come-on's of Summer of Love, then the pillaging of Dennis' soul (but not before first dressing it up like a $5 hooker) of Forever...

These are things as a fan of the band and the legacy that you can actually feel angry about. What is there to genuinely hate on S&S other than the fact that it's a bit sh*t?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »

It's not 1992 anymore. Bands were still selling in excess of 6 or 7 million copies back then. Now they throw a party if they hit 200,000. For a 73 year old artist in 2015 Brian's sales are more than respectable.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »

Funny because NPP actually charted....did SIP? Uhhhh no. I used poor sales figures and other examples as a reflection of SIP's musical content - but let's ignore the other examples because they completely refute your point. Coming off the back of a #3 reunion record? One thing missing from NPP that TWGMTR had was the name 'The Beach Boys'....no sh*t it went to #3 with that name, whereas Brian Wilson's name and music is lesser known to the public.

I might add that NPP has deservedly gotten a fair amount of airplay on satellite radio as did TWGMTR whereas SIP garnered absolutely none that I am aware of in this market.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »

I think the only Airplay SIP got was in Mike Love's house.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx