gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 11:54:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Vibe Room" Q&A  (Read 55767 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »

I was hoping there'd be weirder screen names for Wink to say.  Would've been great with that classic 50's radio voice:  "And now a question from RottenApplez420..."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2015, 05:40:11 PM »

I was hoping there'd be weirder screen names for Wink to say.  Would've been great with that classic 50's radio voice:  "And now a question from RottenApplez420..."

LOL

Still, the interview allowed us to hear Mike speak the actual words "smoke weed", which I don't think I've ever heard him say before. So at least there's that.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »

LOL

Still, the interview allowed us to hear Mike speak the actual words "smoke weed", which I don't think I've ever heard him say before. So at least there's that.

Very true.  I was surprised to hear him say that. 

Wink: "...or as we called them in my day: jazz cigarettes!"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »

I was hoping there'd be weirder screen names for Wink to say.  Would've been great with that classic 50's radio voice:  "And now a question from RottenApplez420..."

LOL

Very true.  I was surprised to hear him say that.  

I would very, very much like to know what it was like to hang out with a stoned Mike Love.

I'd like to picture him singing "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen", and then cracking up.

I think a little more weed would've done him good.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:40:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »

I luv the name of Mike's youtube channel. Loveforce1  Afro

I imagine this is taken from the name of the touring band's private plane
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »

I couldn't find the answer to any of the questions. Is this on the Vibe Room or something else?

BeytyC
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »

Bummer! Not that this is a big deal to anyone but me, but I posted the very first post in the Vibe Room which was nothing more than a greeting and compliment of some of my favorite songs by Mike. It has been erased from history. Sad At least I can't find it.

I think it's still there….
http://mikelove.com/viberoom/topic/hello/
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2015, 01:08:59 AM »

Nothing too mindblowing or revealing in this chat, but definitely one of the nicer video interviews of Mike on  YouTube. "Wink" didn't really ask any hard-hitting questions, and Mike avoided directly answering more than one question, but it's always cool to hear from one of the old dudes who is The Beach Boys.

Of course there's the usual douchers who talk a bunch of crap because it's Mike Love, but those same people would be all knob-slobbering all over a similar fan question based interview with Brian Wilson and his short, non-engaged, wishing he was anywhere else in the world answers.

Looking forward to more in the future. Mike AND Brian should be doing this kind of thing on at least a monthly basis.

Getting Alan, David & Bruce to do something similar would also be quite engaging, and a wonderful thing for the fans.

No mas, por favor.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2015, 01:46:13 AM »

Of course there's the usual douchers who talk a bunch of crap because it's Mike Love, but those same people would be all knob-slobbering all over a similar fan question based interview with Brian Wilson and his short, non-engaged, wishing he was anywhere else in the world answers.

I have to admit, this is absolutely true.

I don't understand then, why you'd even want an interview from both every month. To say nothing of the fact that expecting such a thing in the first place is unrealistic and selfish.

Personally, I just want to know the truth about subjects like Smiley, Adult/Child, SIP etc from anyone in the know who'd be willing to answer. Ideally Brian could tell us everything (except regarding SIP) but he can't or won't. And Mike either doesn't know or would rather stick to talking up his own achievements (namely the hits, and Kokomo and meeting the Beatles)

If Bruce or Al could give a comprehensive look at Smiley behind the scenes, and SIP in Bruce's case, that'd be great. It seems like Al's memory is kinda faulty though. And Bruce, being Mike's right hand man probably won't open up about SIP. Ah well.

A friendly soft ball interview session with those who are willing to do one is nice. I'm still hoping for more nitty gritties on the unspoken parts of the story. I hope Mike and/or Brian divulge the goods in their books but I remain skeptical of that as well.

I didn't watch this interview. Didn't feel like joining another forum to ask if Brian ever shared any plans for SMiLE's tracklist with the guys, if Mike ever heard the Psychedelic Sounds skits (and what he thought, and if Brian ever tried to get the Boys to rerecord any of them for the album) as well as any general memories of making Smiley, what Brian was like during those sessions and any amusing anecdotes about the recording of that bizarre album. Sounds like my questions wouldn't have been answered anyway so I'm glad I didn't waste my time. I just wish someone who was there could fill in these gaps instead of going over the well-trodden hit-making years and Landy situation for the millionth time.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:48:03 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2015, 02:37:40 AM »

Mujan, I definitely don't think your questions would have been answered  Grin, but they're the same kind of questions I would like to have been answered in a Q&A, which is why I think all surviving members of the early Beach Boys group should do one or more on the reg(ular).

Sure, this first "Vibe  Room" session was mostly fluff questions and answers without a lot of new insights, but it's always nice to hear straight from these people horses' mouths.... And if they happened every week or two, or once every month or two, you could almost guarantee there would be some golden nuggets of info in all the fluff.

I didn't join the Vibrator Room to ask Mike a question, but I still watched/listened to the whole Wink&Mike video, because these folk aren't going to be around forever, and it's cool to hear their opinions on certain times/songs.

I'm sure if it gets brought up enough, we could hear Mike's opinion on something like Adult/Child, or at least H.E.L.P. Is On The Way, or similar, since Mike sang lead on that one.... Just gotta participate, and hope it's not just a one time fan interview thing for Mike. The more POSITIVE interest that's shown, the more likely we are to get another opportunity to ask Mike or Brian a new round of questions to be answered by them.

It's like the lottery... Can't win if you don't play. And the less people that play, the less likely we are to have big winners, and the less likely we are to ever hear Brian or Mike talk about Adult/Child or that drugged out Smile/Smiley Smile period.

No mas, por favor.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2015, 02:49:24 AM »

Mujan, I definitely don't think your questions would have been answered  Grin, but they're the same kind of questions I would like to have been answered in a Q&A, which is why I think all surviving members of the early Beach Boys group should do one or more on the reg(ular).

Sure, this first "Vibe  Room" session was mostly fluff questions and answers without a lot of new insights, but it's always nice to hear straight from these people horses' mouths.... And if they happened every week or two, or once every month or two, you could almost guarantee there would be some golden nuggets of info in all the fluff.

I didn't join the Vibrator Room to ask Mike a question, but I still watched/listened to the whole Wink&Mike video, because these folk aren't going to be around forever, and it's cool to hear their opinions on certain times/songs.

I'm sure if it gets brought up enough, we could hear Mike's opinion on something like Adult/Child, or at least H.E.L.P. Is On The Way, or similar, since Mike sang lead on that one.... Just gotta participate, and hope it's not just a one time fan interview thing for Mike. The more POSITIVE interest that's shown, the more likely we are to get another opportunity to ask Mike or Brian a new round of questions to be answered by them.

It's like the lottery... Can't win if you don't play. And the less people that play, the less likely we are to have big winners, and the less likely we are to ever hear Brian or Mike talk about Adult/Child or that drugged out Smile/Smiley Smile period.

True. Problem with SMiLE/Smiley is it was such a bad time for them both. Mike was ashamed and jealous about being sidelined. Brian was crazy stressed-out, burned-out and ashamed he failed to finish it. Since Mike is so anti-drug now, he probably doesn't want to admit to any wild Smiley happenings. It was probably a murky and defeating time for Brian too. Even Mike seems embarrassed by SIP and probably wishes he never made it in hindsight. So while this stuff is fascinating to us, it's embarrassing for them. Bruce and Al seem to have less of an ego/agenda as Mike and have less "mental haze" to sift through than Brian, but I don't think they remember too well or were too involved in the planning of such projects either. So they probably couldn't give us too many details *or* big picture insights.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2015, 03:24:12 AM »

Well, there was significant drooling recently over an insignificant interview such as this:
http://smashinginterviews.com/interviews/musicians/brian-wilson-interview-talks-60s-sound-of-no-pier-pressure-and-why-love-mercy-brought-back-a-lot-of-scary-memories

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2015, 05:31:11 AM »

Well it was Wink being Wink and Mike being Mike, so good to go in my opinion. This is the way Q&A ought to go with all of them participating. They should do it with an interviewer of their choice, who they are comfortable with, and just talk guided by the submitted Qs. Much better than typed answers or media interviews imo.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2015, 09:18:38 AM »

Relaxed and personable, which is what in needed to be. Nicely put together too, the 2 camera setup looks great. The Warmth Of The Sun question that I couldn't remember if I asked or not got answered too - although by someone else I think!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »

I wouldn't bet that any more interviews in the future would get any better than this.  Without a knowledgeable fan actually sitting there and doing the interview---we'll never get the insights we're looking for.  Wink isn't going to know how to follow up a question about Smile or Summer In Paradise which is obviously understandable.  He's just there reading whatever that was submitted. 

But if these interviews gives us any idea about what to expect from Mike's book....well....  Undecided
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »

Ok, I found the YouTube link with Mike answering questions.  Very cool! Although,  they didn't answer my question about the white robe and his thoughts on Gary Usher,  Roger Christian and Jack Reiley.  Still a very enjoyable interview.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »

I was hoping there'd be weirder screen names for Wink to say.  Would've been great with that classic 50's radio voice:  "And now a question from RottenApplez420..."

LOL

I would very, very much like to know what it was like to hang out with a stoned Mike Love.

I'd like to picture him singing "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen", and then cracking up.

Wonder what high Al would be like too?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »

LOL

I'd like to picture him singing "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen", and then cracking up.

High Al I feel like I have a slight idea of, since I've seen a late 60s/early 70s picture or two with a very stoned look on his face. Big, big ass patented Jardine grin.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2015, 10:36:15 AM »

haha that sounds like our Al alright. 

Can we get this Wink on the next video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnLISwUwHo
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:37:25 AM by Justin » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »

LOL

Like Al, is my guess.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »

This was a nice interview. It wasn't particularly enlightening, but there was nothing unpleasant to hear either. If anything, it was slightly boring because of the lack of revelations, but that's forgivable.  A couple of thoughts:

-- Asked about POB, Mike talked about his lyrics and then took a turn into talking about environmental songs. He didn't express any thoughts about Dennis' work on the album. Based on some of his other comments (like his comment on In the Back of My Mind), he's not really into raw, emotional, introspective songs, so I guess that makes sense.

--He again emphasized the positivity of the Beach Boys' catalog (and Wink added "No message songs, just fun songs"), which ignores the aspect of the music that captivated a lot of the fans-- the sense of longing, the melancholy, the expression of insecurities and uncertainties, etc.

--I was pleased that he didn't say anything negative about today's music.  In fact, he had nice things to say about Adele, Katy Perry , and Amy Winehouse. When asked why today's music doesn't stay on top of the charts for as long as it did in the 60s, he mentioned changes in radio, which I think is a big part of it.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »

This was a nice interview. It wasn't particularly enlightening, but there was nothing unpleasant to hear either. If anything, it was slightly boring because of the lack of revelations, but that's forgivable.  A couple of thoughts:

-- Asked about POB, Mike talked about his lyrics and then took a turn into talking about environmental songs. He didn't express any thoughts about Dennis' work on the album. Based on some of his other comments (like his comment on In the Back of My Mind), he's not really into raw, emotional, introspective songs, so I guess that makes sense.

--He again emphasized the positivity of the Beach Boys' catalog (and Wink added "No message songs, just fun songs"), which ignores the aspect of the music that captivated a lot of the fans-- the sense of longing, the melancholy, the expression of insecurities and uncertainties, etc.

--I was pleased that he didn't say anything negative about today's music.  In fact, he had nice things to say about Adele, Katy Perry , and Amy Winehouse. When asked why today's music doesn't stay on top of the charts for as long as it did in the 60s, he mentioned changes in radio, which I think is a big part of it.

I think there was a definite sense of 'if you can't say something nice...' about it, but it didn't seem to forced.

Wink did a great job in my opinion, but then I've always been a sucker for that old-school professional broadcaster style.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2015, 02:13:45 AM »

I was glad to see Mike avoiding the old "Brian/Carl/Dennis did drugs" mantra during his discourse about T.M. Maybe he's finally realized he doesn't have to hammer on that to make his point.

Sorry to disappoint.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/entertainment/arts/2015/03/11/beach-boys-mike-love-opens-career-life/70161422/
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2015, 05:16:38 AM »

Listen to Smiley Smile?

Please delete my account
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2015, 05:43:31 AM »

I was glad to see Mike avoiding the old "Brian/Carl/Dennis did drugs" mantra during his discourse about T.M. Maybe he's finally realized he doesn't have to hammer on that to make his point.

Sorry to disappoint.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/entertainment/arts/2015/03/11/beach-boys-mike-love-opens-career-life/70161422/

Annnd… he's back.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx