gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 01:33:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Coolness of 'Holland'  (Read 9206 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:10:50 AM »

Okay, so it's in a lame indie website, and i'll bet the music is terrible, but scroll down this page to check out NME's reference to Holland:

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/10-awesome-things-that-happened-at-the-great-escape

Jacco Gardner: the best thing to come from Holland since The Beach Boys album, 'Holland'

It's not just Smile that the young hipsters are into Smiley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 05:18:35 AM »

Carl and the Passions: "So Tough" sounds even cooler. Coolest sounding BBs record. Dat bass. Dat Carl.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »

I think for me Steamboat must be up in the top 5-10 Beach Boys songs. Such a great and overlooked tune. Dennis' best work right there.

Also that Jacco Gardner made quite a nice tune. Reminds me of the early Pink Floyd days. Not much Beach Boys influence going on. Some very nice use of vibraphone and harpsichord.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:18:59 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Lonelysea30
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »

Love Holland..
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »

I'm constantly coming across references to Beach Boys music that I think nobody knows..

Sooner or later we have to realise The Beach Boys are not as underrated as we think.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »

Love Holland..

"Only with you", man I don't think even the hardcore fans give this song enough appreciation

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 02:38:09 PM »

Holland certainly resonates with today's hipsters. I live in a "hip" area of Los Angeles and there are LOTS of beards around and Holland features some damn cool beards. In fact, the whole album feels like a nicely grown-in and full, scratchy, yet warm, beard.

There are also A LOT of Mike types amongst the hipsters. Lots of tall, gawky, uptight white guys who grew beards in order to fit in. But none as cool as the man himself.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:39:07 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »

Love Holland..

"Only with you", man I don't think even the hardcore fans give this song enough appreciation
Shady - have you heard POB - Pacific Ocean Blue?

Carl did an outstanding lead, on So Tough, but Dennis' lead on POB is raw and emotion-filled.

Don't underestimate whether "hardcore" fans appreciate Holland and So Tough...

The work is nothing short of brilliant!   Wink

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »

Love Holland..

I play it on piano and sing it to my wife almost on a daily basis. She doesn't really seem all that impressed any more...
Lonelysea30
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »

Shady.. Only with you one my faves in that album, followed by trader
Lonelysea30
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:06 PM »

I've friends onto Holland, sunflower, friends.. People just need to hear them because there is so much between 67-73..anytime we sitting in bar ill manage to download some hilland in jukebox
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »

I honestly find Holland to be The Beach Boy's greatest achievement. I don't care who did or didn't write what or what Brian did or didn't do. It is the greatest work to bear the name "The Beach Boys"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:19:53 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »

When did the flagrant misuse of the term hipsters start?

To me, hipster used to mean someone who was into jazz, smoked gauloise, read Nietsche etc.

Now it just means people who are too stupid to have interests desperately pretending to have interests...'oh check this out! scored BIG TIME at the thrift by finding this copy of 'Phil Collins' face value' etc.

ANYWAY, the NME isn't hipster, or cool, or anything...it's a desperate rag that wishes it was still 1995, so it could have a meaningful circulation again. And no, I'm not bitter because they didn't mention my band in their Great Escape OR SXSW write ups! Wink
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »

Holland certainly resonates with today's hipsters. I live in a "hip" area of Los Angeles and there are LOTS of beards around and Holland features some damn cool beards. In fact, the whole album feels like a nicely grown-in and full, scratchy, yet warm, beard.

There are also A LOT of Mike types amongst the hipsters. Lots of tall, gawky, uptight white guys who grew beards in order to fit in. But none as cool as the man himself.

Man, that's reassuring - I grew my beard and now I don't fit it in with any of my friends at all!  LOL

I do not have Mike Loves essential IDGAF though
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:37:49 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »

Love Holland..

Carl did an outstanding lead, on So Tough, but Dennis' lead on POB is raw and emotion-filled.

The work is nothing short of brilliant!   Wink

I love both versions but Carl's rendition on Holland takes the cake IMO.

I love what Dennis brought to the song but Carl's voice is unbeatable, especially during the Holland era.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »

To me, hipster used to mean someone who was into jazz, smoked gauloise, read Nietsche etc.

Now it just means people who are too stupid to have interests desperately pretending to have interests...'oh check this out! scored BIG TIME at the thrift by finding this copy of 'Phil Collins' face value' etc.

ANYWAY, the NME isn't hipster, or cool, or anything...it's a desperate rag that wishes it was still 1995, so it could have a meaningful circulation again. And no, I'm not bitter because they didn't mention my band in their Great Escape OR SXSW write ups! Wink

A couple of hipsters walk into a bar. What do they say? ..... "f*** this place, it's full of hipsters"  LOL
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »

Love Holland..

The work is nothing short of brilliant!   Wink

I love what Dennis brought to the song but Carl's voice is unbeatable, especially during the Holland era.

Bear in mind the hardcore fans couldnt give the "POB" version its due as no-one in the fan world knew of the Dennis lead vocal version until the Legacy edition came out just a handful of years ago. It wasn't part of POB first time around in 77.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 12:03:32 AM »

First BB album I got into. Growing up in Redondo Beach and the Boys were cool again. Sail on Sailor was being played at every party.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 01:35:47 AM »

A couple of hipsters walk into a bar. What do they say? ..... "f*** this place, it's full of hipsters"  LOL

Haha...so damned true! I'm still not shaving off my moustache though Wink
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 01:52:09 AM »

Haha...so damned true! I'm still not shaving off my moustache though Wink

How do you drown a Hipster? In the mainstream
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:26 AM »

ANYWAY, the NME isn't hipster, or cool, or anything...i

NME's claim to discovering Brighton is the new Birmingham in the article is the absolute definition of the modern hipster!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:18 AM »

Love Holland..

The work is nothing short of brilliant!   Wink

Bear in mind the hardcore fans couldnt give the "POB" version its due as no-one in the fan world knew of the Dennis lead vocal version until the Legacy edition came out just a handful of years ago. It wasn't part of POB first time around in 77.

John Manning - you are correct with the distinctions as between the LP and the legacy edition.  Converting those LP's is on my "to-do" list.

The extraordinary cover photo of Dennis just leaping off the rack seemed a real draw to buy the LP. (For me, anyway)  Too bad Only With You was not on the LP. (In fairness, to the then-existing technology, not as much can be fit on the LP.)

Wonder if there were some constraints as it had been on the Holland LP? (with Carl's lead.)

Holland is a powerful album as well as the 73/74 concert album which I still listen to (in part) every day in the car.  The live versions are far superior to the studio versions, I think.   Wink
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »

Great, great album.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

First BB album I got into. Growing up in Redondo Beach and the Boys were cool again. Sail on Sailor was being played at every party.

Shout out here from a fellow South Bay kid Smiley Smiley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 03:43:11 AM »

Definitely in my top 3 BB albums. Love the whole thing and that does include the fairy tale! For whatever reason I don't think Dennis' later rendition of "Only With You" is even half as good as the original version, even though I usually enjoy all of his lead vocals from his last recording years.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx