gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 07:38:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 569783 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: July 23, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »

Taking it slowwww

I can't wait for "on the island"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 23, 2014, 09:05:22 PM »

Not regular Bud Light, but the "Lime A Rita" and "Strawberry-Rita" or whatever they're called...the novelty of a premixed faux-tropical mixed drink as served in a can and labeled Bud Light! Sounds like a perfect specialty night drink for Club Kokomo. I won't detail the reasons why.  Wink

Grimbergen Dubbel was a favorite a few years ago. That and Duvel, Brooklyn IPA, Saranac Black Forest ale, and a few other pretty "heavy" brews when I was into them. I cut back on beer and got more into mixed drinks and white wine. Been into the microbrews recently, though, like Troegs, Stoudt, and whatever looks interesting at the store or whatever is in the growler at the party. For imports I go for Belgian white ales, like Hoegaarden...but I don't have that cool glass to really enjoy them at home. Still like Stella too.

And I'll bet Mike's bar manager went and bought up all remaining Tequiza twelve packs too as soon as AB discontinued it!

Those are all good ones! I think my faves are probably anything Unibrow puts out, also Dubbel! Duvel is a fantastic "lighter" Belgian brew..... This can all be quite addictive and costly after a while! And I'm not even talking about alcohol-wise! I take frequent breaks sometimes too .... I need to go track down some Troegs!

Stella will always be fab!

Good drinking, mate!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:06:46 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1577 on: July 24, 2014, 04:57:07 AM »

I think a good song is a good song.

Yes, but the emotional experience is also due to the way it is arranged and recorded. If a recording sounds great, the song doesn't have to be all that great to make an enjoyable experience. And an arrangement that just isn't your beef can make a great song a bore. For instance, I'm not sure if "Drive-In" is a good song, but I absolutely love the track. On the other hand, listening to FTTBA bores me because the arrangement doesn't gel with me, but still now and then I half-unconsciously sing part of it softly to myself, because it is a good song.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 24, 2014, 05:20:33 AM »

Not regular Bud Light, but the "Lime A Rita" and "Strawberry-Rita" or whatever they're called...the novelty of a premixed faux-tropical mixed drink as served in a can and labeled Bud Light! Sounds like a perfect specialty night drink for Club Kokomo. I won't detail the reasons why.  Wink

Grimbergen Dubbel was a favorite a few years ago. That and Duvel, Brooklyn IPA, Saranac Black Forest ale, and a few other pretty "heavy" brews when I was into them. I cut back on beer and got more into mixed drinks and white wine. Been into the microbrews recently, though, like Troegs, Stoudt, and whatever looks interesting at the store or whatever is in the growler at the party. For imports I go for Belgian white ales, like Hoegaarden...but I don't have that cool glass to really enjoy them at home. Still like Stella too.

My job has taken me all over the world , which is a good thing. One of life's pleasures is to sit in Le Grande Place in Brussels and drink a beautiful Belgian beer , Maes Pils, for an entire evening.  Maybe my favourite beer ; I like Stella a lot here in the U.S. ; probably because all of our "legacy beers" , Budweiser, Coors , all those light beers ect. , to me are terrible. Funny thing ; here at home (NY) , I find Heineken almost undrinkable ; yet whenever I land in Amsterdam , I head straight to the bar at the Sheraton Schipol for a " Heineken Cold" , one of the greatest beers on earth. I guess because it doesn't have all the FDA restrictions and crap we put in our beer . I like Sapporo a lot, and I guess if someone put an AK47 assault rifle to my head I could drink a Sam Adams. Oh ; and the Heineken at Myles Breen's Pub in Limerick Ireland might be the best in the world !
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 24, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »

Theakstons Old Peculiar. Dark, strong and has a hint of dandilion and burdock to it. Next time you're in Yorkshire, Ray, allow me to introduce you to some of the world's greatest beers (they're not generally referred to as 'ales' in the country of their birth, outside of London).

“We live in divisive times.”
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 24, 2014, 05:54:44 AM »

Theakstons Old Peculiar. Dark, strong and has a hint of dandilion and burdock to it. Next time you're in Yorkshire, Ray, allow me to introduce you to some of the world's greatest beers (they're not generally referred to as 'ales' in the country of their birth, outside of London).

John; I am in !  Thanks
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 24, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »

Real men drink Schlitz.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 24, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »

Real men drink Schlitz.

My father was a beer salesman and one of his accounts was Schlitz.  I started on Schlitz when I was 15 ....it was pretty good back then
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 24, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »

Real men drink Schlitz.

My father was a beer salesman and one of his accounts was Schlitz.  I started on Schlitz when I was 15 ....it was pretty good back then

I understand Miller is brewing the 60s formula for Schlitz these days. I don't drink Schlitz. (irony;)

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1584 on: July 24, 2014, 08:20:05 AM »

The frustrating thing is I'll try a new or different brew, then forget the name! I guess there is a joke in there somewhere.

One import I really enjoyed was Geffel Kolsch, and I wondered how it works in the actual country of origin when judging these beers. Like the Geffel Kolsch, I thought it was a great brew, but how is viewed in Germany? Not that it matters because ultimately I liked it, but is it at all like I (and others) would view our big brands Coors/Miller/Bud/Rolling Rock, which is basically undrinkable and avoid at most costs?  Smiley

Troegs is an interesting phenom happening in PA and I guess other areas too. In Boston you could go to any number of breweries where they'd have special batches for seasonals, scratches, one-offs, etc. Commonwealth, Back Bay, and others so it was just another option for a night out. And very close to me in PA was Iron Hill, Sly Fox going back to the 90's, again those micros where you'd walk past the vats as you entered the place.

Now Troegs opens up outside Hershey...and they do basically the same thing, but with tours and a booming growler-refill business, but people line up out the doors to get in. I knew Troegs from their bottles of "Dream Weaver", "Nugget Nectar", "Mad Elf" and others, but when you get those fresh in a growler, the taste is different and better. And they do special short runs, scratch/seasonal, whatever where once it's all been poured it's done. Some of those I've tried were great.

There is a case right there of a place bringing a great tasting product into the area, and doing what they do as well as anyone else, and effectively owning that niche market. Great beer, and again I thought the bottles were good but not as good as the fresh stuff.

And I don't tell it publicly and only to friends, but for those who have tried Weyerbacher "Big Beer" variety cases, with brews like the "Blithering Idiot", I have a hell of a story to go along with a case of that stuff... LOL

PS Thanks John Manning for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for it if it's available here.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:21:27 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 24, 2014, 08:23:20 AM »

Real men drink Schlitz.
what's that saying about schlitz? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 24, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »

The frustrating thing is I'll try a new or different brew, then forget the name! I guess there is a joke in there somewhere.

One import I really enjoyed was Geffel Kolsch, and I wondered how it works in the actual country of origin when judging these beers. Like the Geffel Kolsch, I thought it was a great brew, but how is viewed in Germany? Not that it matters because ultimately I liked it, but is it at all like I (and others) would view our big brands Coors/Miller/Bud/Rolling Rock, which is basically undrinkable and avoid at most costs?  Smiley

Troegs is an interesting phenom happening in PA and I guess other areas too. In Boston you could go to any number of breweries where they'd have special batches for seasonals, scratches, one-offs, etc. Commonwealth, Back Bay, and others so it was just another option for a night out. And very close to me in PA was Iron Hill, Sly Fox going back to the 90's, again those micros where you'd walk past the vats as you entered the place.

Now Troegs opens up outside Hershey...and they do basically the same thing, but with tours and a booming growler-refill business, but people line up out the doors to get in. I knew Troegs from their bottles of "Dream Weaver", "Nugget Nectar", "Mad Elf" and others, but when you get those fresh in a growler, the taste is different and better. And they do special short runs, scratch/seasonal, whatever where once it's all been poured it's done. Some of those I've tried were great.

There is a case right there of a place bringing a great tasting product into the area, and doing what they do as well as anyone else, and effectively owning that niche market. Great beer, and again I thought the bottles were good but not as good as the fresh stuff.

And I don't tell it publicly and only to friends, but for those who have tried Weyerbacher "Big Beer" variety cases, with brews like the "Blithering Idiot", I have a hell of a story to go along with a case of that stuff... LOL

PS Thanks John Manning for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for it if it's available here.

A friend of mine owns a micro brew pub in Annapolis, Maryland called The Rams Head.  They have a real good one called Fordham lager; 5.0 really nice.  He also is a huge Chelsea fan and has a suite at Stamford Bridge , and imports pallets of that stuff over , to drink in the suite, as there is no alcohol allowed in the stadium , only in the suite's...with the blinds drawn !  I should get it imported up here to me in NY !
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 24, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »

Ray, you are quite the international man of mystery. I am stuck drinking molson and redd's ale from the supermarket. Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1588 on: July 24, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »

A friend of mine owns a micro brew pub in Annapolis, Maryland called The Rams Head.  They have a real good one called Fordham lager; 5.0 really nice.  He also is a huge Chelsea fan and has a suite at Stamford Bridge , and imports pallets of that stuff over , to drink in the suite, as there is no alcohol allowed in the stadium , only in the suite's...with the blinds drawn !  I should get it imported up here to me in NY !

Is the Fordham Lager available bottled, or just in the pub itself? If it's bottled I now have two to look for: Fordham and Theakstons Old Peculiar!

Speaking of lagers, in PA it was always Yuengling Lager, to the point you could say "Lager" at a bar and they'd draw a Yuengling. In my younger years in Boston, if I came back to PA for a visit I'd often buy a case of Yuengling lager to take back with me, and it was pretty much unknown and the Boston folks who are so tuned into "Sammy" thought it was a good session-drinking beer. Then a friend called from NYC and told me a club he played a gig at had Yuengling, and was surprised to see it there. After that Yuengling started spreading out and became more known outside PA, but it was funny how in the 90's at least it was still like a PA-centric thing.

I think the quality changed, though. They opened another brewery in Florida, and the beer just wasn't as good after that, especially bottled. A lot of people noticed that too, and thought the quality of the water in Florida versus Pottsville, PA was a major factor. I rarely drink it if ever at this point, it just wasn't the same as when it was on tap at any PA bar.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 24, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »

Real men drink Schlitz.

"From the land of sky-blue waters (waters)
 Comes the beer refreshing
 Hamm's the beer refreshing
 Hamm's!"

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »

Ray, you are quite the international man of mystery. I am stuck drinking molson and redd's ale from the supermarket. Cry

ha !   I have literally four bottles of Guinness and 3 cans of John Smith's Original Bitter ( which I absconded from the Admirals Club in London Heathrow) in my refrigerator....no other beer at all....I need to adjust this thinking
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: July 24, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »

............ um.............. yeah I'm 17 so this conversation is boring me. HAHAHA  LOL

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 24, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »

Is the Fordham Lager available bottled, or just in the pub itself? If it's bottled I now have two to look for: Fordham and Theakstons Old Peculiar!

Speaking of lagers, in PA it was always Yuengling Lager, to the point you could say "Lager" at a bar and they'd draw a Yuengling. In my younger years in Boston, if I came back to PA for a visit I'd often buy a case of Yuengling lager to take back with me, and it was pretty much unknown and the Boston folks who are so tuned into "Sammy" thought it was a good session-drinking beer. Then a friend called from NYC and told me a club he played a gig at had Yuengling, and was surprised to see it there. After that Yuengling started spreading out and became more known outside PA, but it was funny how in the 90's at least it was still like a PA-centric thing.

I think the quality changed, though. They opened another brewery in Florida, and the beer just wasn't as good after that, especially bottled. A lot of people noticed that too, and thought the quality of the water in Florida versus Pottsville, PA was a major factor. I rarely drink it if ever at this point, it just wasn't the same as when it was on tap at any PA bar.

I am not sure the Fordham is available in bottles but I will check that today; glad you asked.  If it is I think I will have to make a Fordham run down to Annapolis
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 24, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »

Real men drink Schlitz.

Hamm's!"

Jeez  I forgot about Hamms...probably haven't had one in 20 years easy
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1594 on: July 24, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »

If it's bottled I'll definitely give it a try!

Unrelated but just to add...the definition of a "dive bar"...I knew a place well and won't reveal the location, but they literally had only one beer on tap and available. And that beer was "Red Dog". That was swill, just bad sh*t all around, and this was the only beer they had? That's a dive bar, and besides Red Dog they had one of those big hot dog machines from the 60's era where you'd have the dogs spinning on rollers on top for who knows how long, and they had the rolls steaming in a compartment underneath! Classic. I think it was a buck for a dog. They had pull-tab lottery tickets there too, you'd see a regular at the bar with about 30 bucks worth of losers scattered on the bar top.

The hilarious thing was if you ordered a pitcher of that Red Dog swill, they charged a deposit for the glass pitchers!  LOL

One night this place for some reason had two "Goldschlager Girls" there trying to do a promotion, and all the regulars at the bar pretty much ignored them for however long they were there trying to promote Goldschlager. Nightmare gig. I may be wrong or remembering it wrong, but we talked to them and I think one of the girls actually said "What kind of place is this?"  Grin

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 24, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »

Not regular Bud Light, but the "Lime A Rita" and "Strawberry-Rita" or whatever they're called...the novelty of a premixed faux-tropical mixed drink as served in a can and labeled Bud Light! Sounds like a perfect specialty night drink for Club Kokomo. I won't detail the reasons why.  Wink

Ever drink any Gösser Beer from Austria, especially the DARK flavor?!  It's a meal in a bottle!!

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 24, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »

This thread has taken a pleasant turn.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1597 on: July 24, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »

Real men drink Schlitz.

Hamm's!"

I think it was a west-coast thing, but what about Olympia beer? From Tumwater, Washington! I think Pabst bought the name and now has revived it, but with the name Pabst attached I won't be drinking it anytime soon...And any antique shop around PA seems to have at least one vintage bar item from Piels, which ironically was also "revived" by Pabst. My dad used to call certain beers like Piels, Pabst, Valley Forge, Iron City "a headache in a can".  Cheesy

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 24, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »

Real men drink Schlitz.

Hamm's!"

I think it was a west-coast thing, but what about Olympia beer? From Tumwater, Washington! I think Pabst bought the name and now has revived it, but with the name Pabst attached I won't be drinking it anytime soon...And any antique shop around PA seems to have at least one vintage bar item from Piels, which ironically was also "revived" by Pabst. My dad used to call certain beers like Piels, Pabst, Valley Forge, Iron City "a headache in a can".  Cheesy

Hamms was originally out of St. Paul, MN.  I'm from Wisconsin and I seem to remember my parents drinking it in the 1960's, and I certainly remember the jingle (as printed above).  They also had some cool bar advertising lights and such where the heat from the light bulb would turn a drum which was inside another drum with a scenic picture of a lake printed on it, and the turning drum would make moving ripples on the lake.  The brand was sold in the late '60s to Olympia, which of course was later bought by Pabst, and then Miller bought the name in '99.  I still see 12 packs of Hamms in the grocery store.  I don't know if it was swill in the '60s, but it's swill now. 
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: July 24, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »

A wonderful beer! Very hard to find now! In fact, there was one little liquor store here in LA that carried it for a while, but no longer :/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx