gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680976 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 11:37:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Examiner exclusive: The Beach Boys Today! - Mike talks about the album  (Read 15147 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:38:36 AM »

Some nice comments from Mike about the "Today!"-album:

http://www.examiner.com/article/examiner-exclusive-the-beach-boys-today?CID=examiner_alerts_article

I'm afraid I misunderstand this part though:

This was the first 12-track collection to feature a “pop side” (Side 1) and a “ballad side” (Side 2)

The idea of a "pop-side" and a "ballad-side" certainly was not uncommon in the business. For example, Presley did the absolute same thing in '61 for his "Something for everybody" album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_for_Everybody

But maybe I didn't understand what is meant with the above part. Can anyone clarify?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:54:31 AM »

Sweet little interview. Includes this very nice answer:

“She Knows Me Too Well” is quite beautiful. What do you think of it, and “In The Back Of My Mind”?

Mike Love: Brian is amazing on “She Knows Me Too Well.” He has sung many phenomenal leads (in his career), and this is one of them. That’s for sure. It gives such a beautiful sound to the record. It’s almost mystical in a way…we don’t do it in concert, because… Who’s going to sing it? [Laughs] Nobody can sing like that except Brian.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:03:06 AM »

Well...THERE'S one from David [and Mike] which should avoid controversy. Wink  It mentions 2 songs not discussed due to time restraints.  What about Help Me Rhonda?  A chance to mention Glen?...Brian as the new 'studio' guy?...any number of things besides The BS with the BD.  But really a decent retrospective from one of the principal people involved...on it's 50th anniversary.

I hope that the rest of the album will be covered and then added to this as an adendum David.  You only get a small window in order to celebrate a 50th anniversary.   Cool Guy  Heh!!!  I'm one of those guys who always wants more. Wink  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:01:59 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »

“She Knows Me Too Well” is quite beautiful. What do you think of it, and “In The Back Of My Mind”?

Mike Love: Brian is amazing on “She Knows Me Too Well.” He has sung many phenomenal leads (in his career), and this is one of them. That’s for sure. It gives such a beautiful sound to the record. It’s almost mystical in a way…we don’t do it in concert, because… Who’s going to sing it? [Laughs] Nobody can sing like that except Brian.
"Who's going to sing it ?" I've seen Foskett sing it beautifully with Brian's band (That Lucky Old Sun tour), why not ask him to have another crack at it, Mike/Scott ?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »

"Who's going to sing it ?" I've seen Foskett sing it beautifully with Brian's band (That Lucky Old Sun tour), why not ask him to have another crack at it, Mike/Scott ?

Disparity alarm rings:

Examiner/David: "I’m So Young” speaks to young love and relationships, and points toward Brian’s Pet Sounds development.
Mike Love: Doo-wop was a huge influence on us because of the harmonies…the lead, the high parts, the low parts, etc. Brian did an amazing job on this song, and his voice on is incredible. We do it to this day in concert when we have time. Sometimes when we don’t have time in our show, we’ll do it during soundcheck.

I've no objection to anyone singing whatever. Just seems a tad inconsistent…

“We live in divisive times.”
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:48:47 AM »

My take...Mike Love is a good guy. And he wrote very serviceable lyrics to songs in the 1960s.
Pop song lyrics demand exaggeration and cliché.  Whether we're talking about the Little Deuce Coupe
album or the latest by Kanye Uperass.

But that writing is not the same as high art.  When ML says "almost mystical" we are treated to the fact that
he does not have the ability to comment properly on what BW did.

I like doo wop too.  So what.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:38:39 AM »

Can't really identify with In the Back of My Mind because it's moody and introspective? Come on, that's just lame... Actually the song might sound pretty great if Mike would attempt to sing it in concert these days.

Very pleasant interview overall, would love to see a similar one with him about the Wild Honey album!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:40:57 AM »

Some nice comments from Mike about the "Today!"-album:

http://www.examiner.com/article/examiner-exclusive-the-beach-boys-today?CID=examiner_alerts_article

I'm afraid I misunderstand this part though:

This was the first 12-track collection to feature a “pop side” (Side 1) and a “ballad side” (Side 2)

The idea of a "pop-side" and a "ballad-side" certainly was not uncommon in the business. For example, Presley did the absolute same thing in '61 for his "Something for everybody" album:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_for_Everybody

But maybe I didn't understand what is meant with the above part. Can anyone clarify?

I tweaked it, although it was implied—because it's a Beach Boys' column—it was the first pop side/ballad side for TBB.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »

Oh, here we go again. Mike Love can do no good. He can't be complimentary either. It's starting to look like there IS hatred towards the man among fans, only disguised in freedom of opinion, the justice in pointing evil deeds by him or the fact that a certain group of people do not take the BBs as seriously as you do.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 10:06:55 AM »

Oh, here we go again. Mike Love can do no good. He can't be complimentary either. It's starting to look like there IS hatred towards the man among fans, only disguised in freedom of opinion, the justice in pointing evil deeds by him or the fact that a certain group of people do not take the BBs as seriously as you do.

Yeah, here we go again. Let's nip one this in the bud before it starts a 20+ page skirmish based more on provocation than actual words posted.

There are hardly any comments so far to justify your comment, and if people react to the interview in ways you don't agree with, it's not at all justification for using terms like hatred or suggesting it's anything beyond posting reactions to the article.

Where have any of the posters above gone that far into this perceived "anti-Mike" territory enough to justify getting called out as it looks like they have been? This firing preemptive strikes against things that haven't even been said feels more like attempts to provoke an argument or shut people down rather than have a discussion, and one thing it won't do is succeed in keeping people away from posting reactions and opinions.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »

It's amazing that a guy who compliments Brian so much and so often should get any real criticism at all ....

Just my two cents.

Let the shelling continue  Evil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:28 AM »

Can't really identify with In the Back of My Mind because it's moody and introspective? Come on, that's just lame... Actually the song might sound pretty great if Mike would attempt to sing it in concert these days.

Very pleasant interview overall, would love to see a similar one with him about the Wild Honey album!

Now, here's an example of a Mike "criticism" that we need more of .....

The point is gotten across, but there are some positive and useful suggestions here. Phirnis isn't afraid to outright say "That's just lame" which is honest and respectable, in my opinion. He's not trying to armchair psychologist us into seeing Mike as the devil, nor is he just bashing away at the guy.

Bravo.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 12:00:57 PM »

Mike should have been asked about his aborted lead vocal for "Please Let Me Wonder". Always been curious to find out more info about that… Never have I ever heard any official question or answer about it either.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 12:10:27 PM »

Yeah, here we go again. Let's nip one this in the bud before it starts a 20+ page skirmish based more on provocation than actual words posted.

There are hardly any comments so far to justify your comment, and if people react to the interview in ways you don't agree with, it's not at all justification for using terms like hatred or suggesting it's anything beyond posting reactions to the article.

Where have any of the posters above gone that far into this perceived "anti-Mike" territory enough to justify getting called out as it looks like they have been? This firing preemptive strikes against things that haven't even been said feels more like attempts to provoke an argument or shut people down rather than have a discussion, and one thing it won't do is succeed in keeping people away from posting reactions and opinions.

+1

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »

+1

I dunno ..... Are things really so clear and simple on a board where folks are regularly accused of being "anti-Brian Wilson?" ........ But I guess such an accusation is perfectly acceptable and understandable because surely everyone can relate to whatever holy moly motivation might inspire such an accusation when it comes to Brian, of course.

One thing we can all agree on ...... people posting their reactions and opinions won't stop unless the brain police resort to perma-bans.

And as for provoking arguments: have we seen some of the thread titles this board has been gifted?Huh
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:23:12 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »

Pinder, what are you even talking about? This thread is hardly a bucket of bile right now. Someone just mentioned the Elvis album and DB tweaked the piece.  

Zappa is great and everything, but lay off on this brain police stuff. The mods here are just trying to keep everybody happy and referee all this feuding, it's a pain in the ass for them enough without you insulting them further. I mean, you got a temp ban for goading and pushing GF to a ridiculous degree. So you wanna start it up again and pretend they are suffocating your free speech? No need to keep digging that hole!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:48:40 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »

Can't really identify with In the Back of My Mind because it's moody and introspective? Come on, that's just lame..

I think it's pretty lame too. I mean, yeah of course he is entitled to his opinion, just as though I'm entitled to state my opinion that his is is a lame opinion, lacking depth of emotion/understanding. It makes him come off as a simpleton by putting down the deeper material, or stating that it "isn't for him" in some capacity. It's the same old crapping on deeper, emotional, intensely personal songs of Brian's like Til I Die, Summer's Gone, etc. Songs that don't need changing and were/are perfect as is. How sick must Brian be of hearing that kind of thing? It's just unnecessary to state that in an interview, unless your (Mike's) own sh*t don't stink, and it most certainly does. Geez.

I wonder if Brian has ever in an interview said similar negative things about Mike's songwriting. Like, "sometimes the subjects/words Mike writes about are too cheesy/regurgitated topics/corny references, that I have to be in the mood to listen to". I mean, Brian doesn't really verbalize this stuff, or so I think, but I'd be very surprised if he didn't feel that way.

And you know, I'm totally serious when I say this... Mike Love clearly has fears, many fears (losing control of the band, taking off his hat, etc)... he's human too. I don't see how it's so hard to relate to a song about worrying about things in the back of one's mind. Unless he's just simply not in touch with those emotions.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:43:13 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »

Lyrically, Today! is Mike's pièce de résistance, especially side two.

Some incredible writing on that album.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »

Pinder, what are you even talking about? This thread is hardly a bucket of bile right now. Someone just mentioned the Elvis album and DB tweaked the piece.  

Zappa is great and everything, but lay off on this brain police stuff. The mods here are just trying to keep everybody happy and referee all this feuding, it's a pain in the ass for them enough without you insulting them further. I mean, you got a temp ban for goading and pushing GF to a ridiculous degree. So you wanna start it up again and pretend they are suffocating your free speech? No need to keep digging that hole!

Yeah, it's always the Mike likers who do things like "goad" and "push"

It's only us!!!!

And I think it's fairly easy to see that Challenger and myself aren't so specifically taking about this thread, but rather where such threads seem to generally go.

For the record I'm on the same page here. Mike's comment regarding In The Back Of My Mind is beyond odd. "Too introspective?" .... This from the guy who wrote some great, introspective lyrics on the very same album? .... I'd imagine there's more to the story.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:59:57 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »

Well, to me it seems like you guys are trying your best to make it go in that direction. Geez, talk about Today! or something instead.

As far as nobody being able to sing "She Knows Me Too Well"  like Brian goes, wow - that former Four Freshmen fella in BW's band fuckin' blasts it into space he's so good. A real highlight of the Venetian gig.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »

The point is gotten across, but there are some positive and useful suggestions here. Phirnis isn't afraid to outright say "That's just lame" which is honest and respectable, in my opinion. He's not trying to armchair psychologist us into seeing Mike as the devil, nor is he just bashing away at the guy.

Bravo.

I feel the group's music is probably best enjoyed if you manage to appreciate the individual personalities for what they contributed to the bigger picture. I wouldn't want them to be a group of all Brians, even though he's clearly my favorite. In general, Mike's inability to fully appreciate some of the more melancholy material baffles me sometimes (Summer's Gone comes to mind as another example) but then it probably makes perfect sense from the perspective of a distinctively extrovert/outgoing person who's seen the crowds go crazy whenever he happened to sing Fun Fun Fun or Surfin' USA over the course of the past five decades. Glad he has so many great things to say about all the other songs on Today.
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »

Oddly enough, I think these Mike--Brian discussions can be good.  With that said, I have to
apologize for what I wrote above.  I was trying to promote ML.  Writing good pop lyrics is
serious craft--and he has done it.  (Should have said it like that.)  But then I short-changed ML's
doo wop" reference--which is a good area to discuss, even if his incomplete explanation (like mine)
didn't help a whole lot.  I love all dem beach boys.  It's a tough business.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »

Bravo.

I feel the group's music is probably best enjoyed if you manage to appreciate the individual personalities for what they contributed to the bigger picture. I wouldn't want them to be a group of all Brians, even though he's clearly my favorite. In general, Mike's inability to fully appreciate some of the more melancholy material baffles me sometimes (Summer's Gone comes to mind as another example) but then it probably makes perfect sense from the perspective of a distinctively extrovert/outgoing person who's seen the crowds go crazy whenever he happened to sing Fun Fun Fun or Surfin' USA over the course of the past five decades. Glad he has so many great things to say about all the other songs on Today.

Agreed with completely.

Couldn't the interviewer just ask "how do you mean?" after Mike's answer? Was Bruce standing there ready to pistol whip?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »

Well, to me it seems like you guys are trying your best to make it go in that direction. Geez, talk about Today! or something instead.

As far as nobody being able to sing "She Knows Me Too Well"  like Brian goes, wow - that former Four Freshmen fella in BW's band fuckin' blasts it into space he's so good. A real highlight of the Venetian gig.

Brian Eichenberger ain't Brian Wilson in concert circa '64.  Eichenberger's too shrill at times, but I'm sure he'll get better.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »

Who said he was BW circa 64? I just think he nailed it in Vegas and sounds way better than Foskett. It was a nice addition to the setlist and did justice to the song.

No wonder Mike thinks he can't do it live with Chocolate Shake Man. If you wanna talk shrill, there's a shrilly shriller that shrills.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:33:13 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx