gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 01:51:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 416387 times)
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: May 05, 2008, 06:01:47 AM »

Yeah, we agreed we're not touching the unreleased stuff, if I remember correctly...it's been nearly a year on this already!

Adam - I trust your ears more than Al's memory, after he said he'd never played "Honkin'" live...Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: May 05, 2008, 06:17:55 AM »

I dunno, he made it for Lord's Prayer and Auld Lang Syne...

I think for Lord's Prayer we decided it was prior to Al being in the group full time (or he had just joined).  With "Auld" we're ID'ing Denny basically on my say-so.  Al Jardine has claimed he is on that track.  I don't know which is less reliable, my ears or Al's memory...

"TLP" was recorded 10/20/63 - Alan had been back in the band for several weeks by then. The "LSN" sessions (10/18 & 10/20) were the first ones that David didn't take part in since April the previous year..

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:02 AM »

True... what I meant was at that point, the song had probably already been rehearsed with Dennis.  There may not have been enough time to get Al up to speed on the part, particularly if Dennis already had it.  But you're right, technically Al was back in the band (barely).
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 05, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »

Yeah, we agreed we're not touching the unreleased stuff, if I remember correctly...it's been nearly a year on this already!

Adam - I trust your ears more than Al's memory, after he said he'd never played "Honkin'" live...Grin
Fair enough.  You're Still A Mystery hasn't been officially either though has it, nor has a good number of the outtakes that have been mentioned?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 05, 2008, 10:54:58 AM »

Didn't we argue that Denny was actually better for the harmonies in the accapellas than Al, though Al is a better singer, at one point?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: May 05, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »

I don't know if I would go that far. I think Denny's voice did the job, but I think Al's voice was a key component to the harmony sound and gave Brian more options, Al had a better range.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 05, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »

Didn't we argue that Denny was actually better for the harmonies in the accapellas than Al, though Al is a better singer, at one point?

I prefer Denny's voice (before it got ruined), purely just because he's more expressive than Al. Obviously Al has a better range and is probably technically better but I just dig Denny's voice.

To be honest, Al is the one guy who I have trouble picking out in the harmonies. I don't know why but I really struggle to hear him on a lot of stuff, unless its blatantly obvious.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 05, 2008, 07:56:55 PM »

I prefer Denny's voice (before it got ruined), purely just because he's more expressive than Al. Obviously Al has a better range and is probably technically better but I just dig Denny's voice.

To be honest, Al is the one guy who I have trouble picking out in the harmonies. I don't know why but I really struggle to hear him on a lot of stuff, unless its blatantly obvious.

I prefer Denny's voice too...it has more texture to it.  More emotional I suppose...Al is a great singer (and has the best remaining BB voice by far), but his singing never makes me feel anything, whereas when Denny sings, I feel what he's singing about.

Al is tough to pick out because he can sound like everyone.  His voice just isn't that distinctive...the Wilson brothers all had their own distinct (albiet similar) sounds, and Mike had his patented bass sound.  Al was just a solid voice to add to the harmony, perfect for those sometimes difficult middle parts.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 05, 2008, 08:21:56 PM »

but his singing never makes me feel anything, whereas when Denny sings, I feel what he's singing about.

Couldn't agree more Chris. It's almost like some singers have this ability to make it feel like they are directly involving you in what they are singing about.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 06, 2008, 04:58:28 AM »

Oh yeah, I agree. There was a point raised by Adamghost, I think, on this thread during the discussion of the accapellas. I can't remember the technical details but I think it boiled down to Denny's grainier texture being more attractive to the ear in the stack than Al's brighter texture. It's well worth finding anyway, it's somewhere at the half-way point.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 06, 2008, 05:23:09 AM »

I can't remember where I heard or read it, but a vocal expert once said that vocal harmonies always sound better if they're performed by people who grew up in the same area. It had something to do with the way people pronounce words, even if you normally can't tell the difference. As Dennis grew up in the same house as Brian and Carl while Al was originally from another state, that would make sense...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 06, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »

I can't remember where I heard or read it, but a vocal expert once said that vocal harmonies always sound better if they're performed by people who grew up in the same area. It had something to do with the way people pronounce words, even if you normally can't tell the difference. As Dennis grew up in the same house as Brian and Carl while Al was originally from another state, that would make sense...

Call me crazy but I think that's from the Pet Sounds book by Charles Granata (sorry if I spelled that wrong).  And intonation is definitely important in a capella harmony, but I didn't think Al's intonation was much different from the other guys.  Like others have said, Dennis just added some additional texture, while Al had a good (but relatively indistinct) blending voice.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 06, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »

Here's the link to the post, which is surrounded by discussion of the accapellas:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4120.msg71532.html#msg71532
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 14, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »

So, are we done?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 14, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »

Let's start over!
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 14, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »

While certain singers may be more expressive when singing solo, it doesn't mean they are good group singers.   Sure, Dennis is a great, soulful, expressive solo singer, but as a group singer, he doesn't hold a candle to Al. 

That said, I'd rather hear Dennis in the group than Bruce, who doesn't blend at all.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 15, 2008, 09:25:04 AM »

Ok, I moved all the lists to the new thread. However, I am unable to put the very first post here because the board does not allow me. If John can repost it (I believe its Surfin Safari), I will be able to move it to the new "List" thread...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 15, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »

There you go. And thanks a lot by the way, it looks great!
MBE
« Reply #1093 on: May 16, 2008, 01:30:04 AM »

Read through it all again who is this Omnes on Somewhere Near Japan.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: May 16, 2008, 02:34:47 AM »

"Omnes" is latin for "all", or "everybody"  Wink

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MBE
« Reply #1095 on: May 16, 2008, 04:49:21 AM »

Ah thanks, I never knew that before.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 16, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »

Quick question:

What was your biggest surprise when we'd hashed it all out?

Mine was that it was Denny on "We're Together Again". I'd just assumed it was Carl, but the minute it came on, I went, "Oh, yeah, it is him!"
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1097 on: May 16, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

Mine is that it was Brian saying "I love you" in "Please Let Me Wonder"... But now it's obvious. Oh, and the Brian+Al vocals on "Rock 'N' Roll To The Rescue"!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MBE
« Reply #1098 on: May 16, 2008, 11:38:17 PM »

Yeah I guess Please Let Me Wonder,  maybe Summertime Blues. We're Together I Always thought was Dennis because of the way he prononces "again".
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 17, 2008, 07:57:36 AM »

Let's start over!

Yes. No harm in going through a few more times.

On "Auld Lang Syne" I get Dennis AND Al on there. This is how:

4 parts, from top to bottom: Brian, Al, Carl and Dennis together, Mike.
Comparing the two speaker channels, Carl is louder on one, Dennis on the other. Sometimes Dennis sings a little scoop to the note, whereas Carl doesn't, and on the last line Dennis seems to go above the correct note in the middle of "Syne".

Dennis and Carl often sound similar in the harmonies, because of their timbre.  Except that Carl is smoother. Dennis is very expressive and so his voice makes the harmony sound pleasant to the ear. Al is usually the hardest to pick out but always seems to sing exactly in tune and so blend in pitchwise. His voice also blends by not sounding distinctive in the harmonies. But occasionally when his voice sticks out you notice the different accent and timbre of his voice.

On "Lavender" I think it is Brian, Carl, Dennis and Mike.
On "Things we did last summer" surely it is the same four?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx