gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680900 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 03:01:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I used to steer clear of the later stuff  (Read 11120 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 06:17:20 AM »

Like many others I'm a huge fan of Love You. Other than that, Light Album is a personal favorite out of all the post-Holland records. I agree with whoever said it's a bit like the BB's Tusk. It also contains one of my fave Brian songs ever (and I don't mean Shortenin' Bread) and I think Carl's contributions here are way underrated. They're like a glimpse into the soul of someone who must've felt very exhausted and melancholy at the time. Some of the lyrics speak volumes. Dennis was in fine form as well, in fact I like Love Surrounds Me and Baby Blue even better than most of the songs on POB. His singing on Angel Come Home is exceptional! After L.A., the last true borderline classic from the BB world to me is BW88.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 06:59:49 AM »

I'd say 63-73 is the essential Beach Boys period. Things were never the same after that but there's still plenty of good stuff post Holland mixed in with the dross.The only two albums I've never bothered buying are Stars & Stripes and That's Why God Made the Radio.

So, you bought SIP but not TWGMTR ?

Yep. The only song I really liked off TWGMTR was the title track, so I just bought the download for that.

You didn't like "Summer's Gone"?

It's ok, a bit on the dreary side.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 07:11:45 AM »

With the exception of the vapid crooning and inane lyrics of DOTO, TWGMTR would seem to be a natural fit for any BB collection if only for the last three tracks.

"Daybreak" isn't even the worst song on the album.

Uh, yes it is. Labeling it as obligatory filler would be far too generous and complimentary for something as insipidly boring as that particular attempt at a song.
OSD - what about Think About the Days?

And, I like first three the best on that CD.  Wink
TWGMTR tells the story of how we had that transistor, all the time...almost as an appendage...all those 9volt batteries! LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 08:12:17 AM »

With the exception of the vapid crooning and inane lyrics of DOTO, TWGMTR would seem to be a natural fit for any BB collection if only for the last three tracks.

Uh, yes it is. Labeling it as obligatory filler would be far too generous and complimentary for something as insipidly boring as that particular attempt at a song.

And, I like first three the best on that CD.  Wink
TWGMTR tells the story of how we had that transistor, all the time...almost as an appendage...all those 9volt batteries! LOL

TATD somewhat has the same purpose as Our Prayer-think of it as an intro as to what lies ahead, if you will. And, yes, the transistor radio was a kind of appendage come to think of it. Certainly a progenitor of the smart phone.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:21:34 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 08:16:58 AM »

I'd say 63-73 is the essential Beach Boys period. Things were never the same after that but there's still plenty of good stuff post Holland mixed in with the dross.The only two albums I've never bothered buying are Stars & Stripes and That's Why God Made the Radio.

So, you bought SIP but not TWGMTR ?

Yep. The only song I really liked off TWGMTR was the title track, so I just bought the download for that.

You didn't like "Summer's Gone"?

It's ok, a bit on the dreary side.

Yeah, too bad it's not about a hamburger stand or a drive in movie. But "...It's ok?" Huh Huh Well, then, it is true, you don't care for Brian Wilson very much, do you?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:25:21 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »

I hate him apparently. Yeah, it was news to me too.  Roll Eyes

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »

And, I like first three the best on that CD.  Wink

TATD somewhat has the same purpose as Our Prayer-think of it as an intro as to what lies ahead, if you will.
When I first heard TATD, I felt that inner gasp, as when you hear something so rare, and so impressive that it is a more of a visceral response. I never thought of it as a musical preface or preamble.

When all else is stripped away, I think it embodies them as vocalists in that blend. And maybe Brian's vision of how he would use their voices as instruments.

But I guess that that old adage could be right..."s/he who sings, prays twice." (If it's another "Our Prayer" concept.) Wink
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »

Shelter's okay.  I guess they used Foskett so the chorus is in a falsetto.  Nothing wrong with that on a Beach Boys song, and who else is gonna sing it?

Anyone else, please. It basically renders the song unlistenable, to me. I'm sure some will say that sounds dramatic or far-fetched, but sorry, I only mean it literally - I do not like Jeff's voice at all and I don't want to listen to it, that's all. The songwriting itself is pretty decent, and I like Brian's concept behind the lyrics, but I can't listen to it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »

Shelter's okay.  I guess they used Foskett so the chorus is in a falsetto.  Nothing wrong with that on a Beach Boys song, and who else is gonna sing it?

Anyone else, please. It basically renders the song unlistenable, to me. I'm sure some will say that sounds dramatic or far-fetched, but sorry, I only mean it literally - I do not like Jeff's voice at all and I don't want to listen to it, that's all. The songwriting itself is pretty decent, and I like Brian's concept behind the lyrics, but I can't listen to it.

Would have been great if Matt Jardine or Christian Love could have sang the higher parts on the album.  Although I think Jeff's voice works well on a few of the songs like the title track.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2015, 11:32:33 PM »

I will never understand why some fans don't like Foskett.  I think he sings beautifully.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 02:38:40 AM »

I will never understand why some fans don't like Foskett.  I think he sings beautifully.

I can only speak for myself; I think his singing sounds competent yet somehow forced and uninspired.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 05:34:45 AM »

I agree that the essential years are 1963-73 (I will even go so far to include 1962). 

I think there's some good music post 1973.  MIU is a decent album.  LA is almost a good album (take away that long disco song).  Still Cruisin has some good moments.  And I love TWGMTR. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 05:44:24 AM »

I can only speak for myself; I think his singing sounds competent yet somehow forced and uninspired.

I think his voice is great when mixed properly. But half the time it's so pushed up in the mix that it seems to drown out what's going on behind it. One song I really like his voice in is 'The Man With All The Toys'. His vocals are mixed a bit high in the mix, but it works well with the instrumentals and harmonies going on behind him.

I actually love 'Shelter', but I try to mentally replace Jeff's voice with a mid-60s Brian during that track.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 06:55:45 AM »

Did you have "Beaches In Mind" in mind? That is worse than anything on Summer In Paradise imo.
KDS
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 07:21:45 AM »

I think his voice is great when mixed properly. But half the time it's so pushed up in the mix that it seems to drown out what's going on behind it. One song I really like his voice in is 'The Man With All The Toys'. His vocals are mixed a bit high in the mix, but it works well with the instrumentals and harmonies going on behind him.

I actually love 'Shelter', but I try to mentally replace Jeff's voice with a mid-60s Brian during that track.

While not by favorite TWGMTR track, I really like Shelter. 

The only song on that album that I find a tad cringeworthy is Spring Vacation.  I thought the title track and Isn't It Time made the point well enough (we're together again, yada yada). 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:22 AM »

Yeah it's a pretty rotten song but it's still better than
Spring Vacation
Private Life of Bill & Sue
Beaches in Mind
and (shudder) Shelter.

Well, then shudder away. PLOBAS and Shelter are two fine songs that never get the "skip" option.  BIM and SV are passable but DOTO is a total misfit. If anything, it would fit far better on any of myKe's wonderful Shocked solo outings.
HMMMM....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DBM4WX_no

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »

Spring Vacation
Beaches in Mind
and (shudder) Shelter.

Well, then shudder away. PLOBAS and Shelter are two fine songs that never get the "skip" option.  BIM and SV are passable but DOTO is a total misfit. If anything, it would fit far better on any of myKe's wonderful Shocked solo outings.
HMMMM....

I'd say that recording was a solid attempt at Yacht Rock if the yacht were an abandoned one-man canoe stuck on a rock in a local stream during a drought.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 10:48:54 AM »

Wow, that almost makes the TWGMTR version sound good by comparison. Almost.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »

SmileBrian: Dammit, that YouTube clip you posted...YouTube was on auto-play, and the next video that started up in the background was a clip of Don Felder doing Hotel California at a Gibson guitar event...which would be fine as I really like Don and his work...but this one when I clicked on the screen was billed as Don, Mike Love, and John Stamos doing the song. Mike does nothing but hold a microphone, and Stamos plays the conga drums. Ohkay, then... Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »

SmileBrian: Dammit, that YouTube clip you posted...YouTube was on auto-play, and the next video that started up in the background was a clip of Don Felder doing Hotel California at a Gibson guitar event...which would be fine as I really like Don and his work...but this one when I clicked on the screen was billed as Don, Mike Love, and John Stamos doing the song. Mike does nothing but hold a microphone, and Stamos plays the conga drums. Ohkay, then... Smiley

You got to the end of Daybreak then? Impressive, I threw in the towel after about two minutes.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »

Mike and Stamos playing rock star again.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 10:56:30 AM »

Spring Vacation
Beaches in Mind
and (shudder) Shelter.

HMMMM....
Well Smile Brian - imagine my delight at a link of Mike's solo work as a result of your diligence!

Why thanks! And, yes, I'm totally messing with you.   LOL

All kidding aside, does anyone know who did the background vocals?

Did I hear Carl or Al or any other BB's on bv's?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 10:57:34 AM »

Now I know why Felder wasn't allowed to sing Victim of Love...

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »

Mike and Stamos playing rock star again.... Roll Eyes
Too early for Stamos.

Do the math.  LOL
Peter Pumpkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »

Im my book, the last truly essential joint release is "Love You". After that it's pretty much a matter of finding "your own way", depending on the strength of your nerves and your personal tastes in solo work.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx