-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 10:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Health Care
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Health Care  (Read 132363 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2013, 02:06:12 PM »

I think everyone would given the choice.

Well that's good to hear..... I think I can retire now from this thread happy Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »

Then again, where's all the anger in us paying to blow people up all over the world? If I had the choice between blowing up a family in a hut somewhere OR keeping a guy on dialysis, I'd happily choose the latter.

I have plenty of anger for the wars raging over the world. But think on this; America reduces countries to rubble and then send the contractors over to rebuild it and make billions. The UK helps America reduce countries to rubble and then send over millions in foreign aid , how retarded is my country?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

And sadly the division between Labour and Conservative is next to nil. That kind of bipartisanship is scary.
Jason
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »

And trust me, I'm sick and tired of all of the warmongering and foreign aid, especially when said aid props up dictators and religious assholes in the Middle East - especially Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Israel.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »

Then again, where's all the anger in us paying to blow people up all over the world? If I had the choice between blowing up a family in a hut somewhere OR keeping a guy on dialysis, I'd happily choose the latter.

I have plenty of anger for the wars raging over the world. But think on this; America reduces countries to rubble and then send the contractors over to rebuild it and make billions. The UK helps America reduce countries to rubble and then send over millions in foreign aid , how retarded is my country?

Maybe it's just the pathetic trace of a conscience at work?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »

This thread is seriously pissing me off. Tread lightly.

The thread isn't the issue pissing you off, I hope. Because, well, since I started it as my own anger-management therapy to give an outlet to share, discuss, and let people know what's going on in the real world of the health care issue outside of political talking points, I feel I should be able to question the tread lightly remark if it's leading to the closing of this thread or worse. I was the one pissed off last week when I got the letter that started the thing. This was my outlet since in plain English I got f***ed and I have no way to change it. The deal was done, I have no recourse to change or improve my situation. None. So I vent.

The topic got sidetracked. I see that. No cause to threaten the entire thing. I suggest if the sidetracking is getting out of line, address the sidetracking. Unless that's what you're trying to do.  Smiley

Or if it's the overall thread itself causing problems, then it's another thing altogether which we need to discuss.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:08:00 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »

Its the hostility and lack of respect for each other because of differing views that is bothering me. It's why I refuse to enter political discussions online.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »

Its the hostility and lack of respect for each other because of differing views that is bothering me. It's why I refuse to enter political discussions online.

It goes there so easily because no one likes or deserves to be put into a little box yet that's exactly what happens when words like Liberal/Conservative are instantly applied to anyone's attempts at logic.

Words like those two, by their very design, create shortcuts in thinking/expression and get us used to communicating/thinking in short hand and we feel stupid when we do that so we fall back on insults and bullying..... I stand just as guilty of this as anyone else..... just without the picture evidence Wink
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:58:04 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:25 PM »

It goes there so easily because no one likes or deserves to be put into a little box yet that's exactly what happens when words like Liberal/Conservative are instantly applies to anyone's attempts at logic.

Words like those two, by their very design, create shortcuts in thinking/expression and get us used to communicating/thinking in short hand and we feel stupid when we do that so we fall back on insults and bullying..... I stand just as guilty of this as anyone else..... just without the picture evidence Wink

Ugh, what a liberal point of view
 Grin

Well put.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »

Thomas Sowell on the concept of "diversity".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVuLyE8ZvdI

Yup.  I know we're way off topic (and for a reason, since liberals are always unable to communicate, articulate and defend their positions through to the end, and arrive at a cogent conclusion -- thus leading the conversation off-topic at any chance they get to avoid their obvious defeat)... but, I just gotta say -- that's totally awesome.  "Diversity" is a scam.  It's a manufactured front in the Marxist war on Capitalism.  Divide and Concur.

Everybody's different for a reason.  People are individuals.  "Diversity" -- the industry we know today -- puts us into groups and tribes.  Just the opposite (as usual) from what Leftists claim it is.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:34:38 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »

I've been saying this ACA will be affecting everyone, whether now or later. This is just one example. Note the deductible amounts cited in the article. Once more groups and workers like those AFSCME workers in this case start seeing it on their own plans...we'll see.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/County-workers-dispute-health-care-cost-increase/-/132502/22362606/-/pjojoa/-/index.html

EASTON, Pa. - Workers in Northampton County are outraged about health insurance increases they just found out about. They told 69 News their out-of-pocket deductibles are going up about 900 percent. The county employees want action before it's too late, while officials said their hands are tied by federal law. "This is a slap in the face to everybody who works in this county whether union or non union," said Justus James, a representative for AFSCME.

County workers piled into the council budget meeting, ready to fight back against planned increases to their health care plans. "For a lot of the county employees, this amounts to 10 percent or more of their net salary," shared Stephen Barron, the Northampton County controller. "They can't afford this co-insurance." Workers said they were just told out-of-pocket deductibles will jump from $250 for a single person to $2,250. For a family, it spikes from $500 to nearly $5,000. They argue they take less pay for better benefits, but were blindsided by these huge increases. "We're getting it jammed down our throats in the 11th hour," James told council. "I want council to do something about it, investigate it and stop it."

Northampton County Executive John Stoffa said the price hikes are thanks to the Affordable Care Act. "We have to start increasing what people have to pay for their health care because we have what is called the Cadillac plan." Under the law, so-called "Cadillac plans" could be taxed a 40 percent levy just for being generous on health insurance. The government won't start taxing employers until 2018, but the county is trying to stay ahead of the huge hit they face in five years by adding the fee incrementally. "Because it's so new, people don't understand it and it's a little scary," added Stoffa. "But if it's something we have to do, we have to do it, if there's something we can work out in a better way, we will do it, if there's more we can do for the employees we will do it." At the meeting, the county human resources department asked for a new full-time employee to be hired just to deal with all the mandates under the Affordable Care Act.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »

MB, in case this somehow didn't get into your brain through all the bile and Sun headlines swimming around up there, your anti-immigrant hatred reflects on me and my family and you're saying my family don't belong here. Thanks for that. Makes me feel great.

And if your hatred is solely reserved for Eastern Europeans to the extent where you want to shoot them in the face, I'd say that's pretty much the opposite of common sense. In fact.... it seems.... racist? That you have gone 'oh, it's not about race, it's common sense' whilst continuing to post the same bile directed at Eastern Europeans speaks volumes.

I'm obviously not going to change your mind, but I wanted to state my position in this thread for clarity before I go out and throw money at the undeserving poor... er... run my failing NHS department, no that's monday... oh yeah, I was going to destroy capitalism. That's Thursdays.

And I didn't even fucking swear!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »

MB, in case this somehow didn't get into your brain through all the bile and Sun headlines swimming around up there, your anti-immigrant hatred reflects on me and my family and you're saying my family don't belong here. Thanks for that. Makes me feel great.

Violin Violin Violin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »

I've been saying this ACA will be affecting everyone, whether now or later. This is just one example. Note the deductible amounts cited in the article. Once more groups and workers like those AFSCME workers in this case start seeing it on their own plans...we'll see.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/County-workers-dispute-health-care-cost-increase/-/132502/22362606/-/pjojoa/-/index.html

EASTON, Pa. - Workers in Northampton County are outraged about health insurance increases they just found out about. They told 69 News their out-of-pocket deductibles are going up about 900 percent. The county employees want action before it's too late, while officials said their hands are tied by federal law. "This is a slap in the face to everybody who works in this county whether union or non union," said Justus James, a representative for AFSCME.

County workers piled into the council budget meeting, ready to fight back against planned increases to their health care plans. "For a lot of the county employees, this amounts to 10 percent or more of their net salary," shared Stephen Barron, the Northampton County controller. "They can't afford this co-insurance." Workers said they were just told out-of-pocket deductibles will jump from $250 for a single person to $2,250. For a family, it spikes from $500 to nearly $5,000. They argue they take less pay for better benefits, but were blindsided by these huge increases. "We're getting it jammed down our throats in the 11th hour," James told council. "I want council to do something about it, investigate it and stop it."

Northampton County Executive John Stoffa said the price hikes are thanks to the Affordable Care Act. "We have to start increasing what people have to pay for their health care because we have what is called the Cadillac plan." Under the law, so-called "Cadillac plans" could be taxed a 40 percent levy just for being generous on health insurance. The government won't start taxing employers until 2018, but the county is trying to stay ahead of the huge hit they face in five years by adding the fee incrementally. "Because it's so new, people don't understand it and it's a little scary," added Stoffa. "But if it's something we have to do, we have to do it, if there's something we can work out in a better way, we will do it, if there's more we can do for the employees we will do it." At the meeting, the county human resources department asked for a new full-time employee to be hired just to deal with all the mandates under the Affordable Care Act.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:49:40 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »

Yup.  I know we're way off topic (and for a reason, since liberals are always unable to communicate, articulate and defend their positions through to the end, and arrive at a cogent conclusion -- thus leading the conversation off-topic at any chance they get to avoid their obvious defeat)... but, I just gotta say -- that's totally awesome.  "Diversity" is a scam.  It's a manufactured front in the Marxist war on Capitalism.  Divide and Concur.

Everybody's different for a reason.  People are individuals.  "Diversity" -- the industry we know today -- puts us into groups and tribes.  Just the opposite (as usual) from what Leftists claim it is.

Says the biggest and most blustering proud-to-be-a-hardcore-tribe member on this board....

Most of your crap is just motivated by attacking your childish concept of "other" "them" "liberals" lefties" because YOUR idea of what those words mean insults your self image as a big-bad Republican swinging dick..... Try walking it like you talk it for once.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »

So, did anybody read "The Bitter Pill" in Time Magazine, back in the spring?  It was a long article documenting the overcharging, gouging really, which is happening today in virtually all US hospitals.  Medical equipment, bandages, pills all ALL MARKED UP by 1000’s of percent, and yes, I said THOUSANDS.  THIS is what is driving the costs in health care today, in the US anyway.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2013, 01:12:21 PM »

So, did anybody read "The Bitter Pill" in Time Magazine, back in the spring?  It was a long article documenting the overcharging, gouging really, which is happening today in virtually all US hospitals.  Medical equipment, bandages, pills all ALL MARKED UP by 1000’s of percent, and yes, I said THOUSANDS.  THIS is what is driving the costs in health care today, in the US anyway.

Great article, but hey, it's the free market: can't keep up, you're free to go die!

But, hey: no sweat, we're all going to be millionaires really soon, right? ..... right?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »

Great article, but hey, it's the free market: can't keep up, you're free to go die!

But, hey: no sweat, we're all going to be millionaires really soon, right? ..... right?

Why YES!  Right now, my dressage horses are riding up and down in my car elevator!!!   Cool Guy

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »

Why YES!  Right now, my dressage horses are riding up and down in my car elevator!!!   Cool Guy

It's hilarious: my hardcore Republican sister is crying foul now that the military commissary near her (her husband is ex Navy) was closed down. I was like "So? Just go to the Ralph's 5 feet away to get your groceries" and she says "Hell no, supermarkets are a rip-off" ;P
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »

It's hilarious: my hardcore Republican sister is crying foul now that the military commissary near her (her husband is ex Navy) was closed down. I was like "So? Just go to the Ralph's 5 feet away to get your groceries" and she says "Hell no, supermarkets are a rip-off" ;P

LOL Tell your sister she’s a Socialist and she didn’t know it LOL

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »

I did and nearly got thrown from the car, but a little ligthbulb DID go on over her head.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »

Violin Violin Violin

Well, I tried!

Great job on denying your racism btw.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »

Funny that nobody else considered me a racist- just you. Why was it that Jason got the gist of what I was saying on the first post and Pinder agreed with me to a point after I clarified my stance?

And please stop trying with the sarcastic humour, because frankly, you suck at it.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »

Says the biggest and most blustering proud-to-be-a-hardcore-tribe member on this board....

Most of your crap is just motivated by attacking your childish concept of "other" "them" "liberals" lefties" because YOUR idea of what those words mean insults your self image as a big-bad Republican swinging dick..... Try walking it like you talk it for once.

Translation please

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: