gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 11:42:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" at Dodger Stadium  (Read 85140 times)
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 11, 2012, 07:30:36 AM »

I do not want to see the Jeff Foskett show for 100 bucks a ticket.

LOL
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the video. I'm sure they will get the mixing right for the tour.......................I hope

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 11, 2012, 07:40:10 AM »

I do not want to see the Jeff Foskett show for 100 bucks a ticket.

LOL
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the video. I'm sure they will get the mixing right for the tour.......................I hope

You won't see "the Jeff Foskett show for 100 bucks a ticket"... No worries, fellow beach bros.  Smiley I mean, yeah, you will have paid 100 bucks, but you won't see "the Jeff Foskett show".  Grin
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 11, 2012, 07:42:18 AM »

Who wants to join the Jeff Foskett fan club.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »

Yeah, I've heard Jeff Foskett tortures puppies and laughs. A friend of a friend of a person who once met someone who once knew someone who played in a band with Probyn told me.

As for the mix -- essentially it was Foskett and Cowsill, with little or nothing from anyone else (those who thought it was Al they were hearing were probably hearing Cowsill - he has a similar voice, and takes Al's parts on stage with Mike's band). I don't see any reason to worry though -- an outdoor event, doing only two songs, without their normal sound engineer, with someone trying to balance eight mics in the open air for a baseball stadium PA, that's not going to be anything like the situation at any of the actual gigs. Mike's always been audible at Mike's gigs, Jeff's never overpowered the rest of the band at Brian's gigs -- I don't see it being a problem.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »

Surfer Girl - The Foskett-Lite Mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyfUCdGTv0
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 11, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »

sh*t.  You can clearly hear Brian... all through the song.  
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »

that's better.  "the blend" is back.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 11, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »

Yes that mix is far better. Thank you for posting.  3D
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 11, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »

Foskett/Kirsch/Bennett - 100%

I don't rememner seeing Kirsch there.

That's because he wasn't there.

Here's an article about yesterday. Is that Carl's son on the last picture?

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_20368076/beach-boys-and-dodgers-at-50-good-vibrations

Yeah Justyn was there with his mum apparently.

Yes, that's his mom (and Carls ex-wife and Billy's sister Annie) next to Tommy Lasorda

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »

That's more like it , thanks for posting..

I am real surprised that nobody has mentioned the rather off last guitar chord by DLM , Oopppppps
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #335 on: April 11, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »

Yeah, I've heard Jeff Foskett tortures puppies and laughs. A friend of a friend of a person who once met someone who once knew someone who played in a band with Probyn told me.

I'm just having my dinner, and watching a movie, then I'll regail you with my first hand account of what I witnessed. I will attempt to be as unbiased as possible, giving Jeff all benefit of the doubt, based on the circumstances. But bear in mind this is a seven year old memory.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 11, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »

Even on the light mix, Jeff sounds really bad.  He shouldn't even sing on the tour at all if he's going to sound like that.  It could be he's either singing too much lately or has a cold/allergies, but it's bad.  Not just shrill and unpleasant, but not on pitch.  He can play guitar, so it's not like he has to sing.  I definitely hope they don't have him do any leads.  Whichever guy(s) they had singing on the recent Al record release party could sing falsetto much better (videos on YouTube).  They have better people singing falsetto on videos of the Mike/Bruce touring group, too.  To me, one of the weaker parts of Brian's band is the vocals, and Jeff is part of that.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 11, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »

Link 1, Mike Love Interview:

http://youtu.be/-T6y8mWzQdY

My apologies for the video quality, I had to cut corners on the encoding to get it uploaded fast enough, the others will follow as soon as they're up!

..see Reply #195 for all video links..

Mike drops 7 different song titles in the first minute of this interview....This must be a new record for him  Smiley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 11, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »

Even on the light mix, Jeff sounds really bad.  He shouldn't even sing on the tour at all if he's going to sound like that.  It could be he's either singing too much lately or has a cold/allergies, but it's bad.  Not just shrill and unpleasant, but not on pitch.  He can play guitar, so it's not like he has to sing.  I definitely hope they don't have him do any leads.  Whichever guy(s) they had singing on the recent Al record release party could sing falsetto much better (videos on YouTube).  They have better people singing falsetto on videos of the Mike/Bruce touring group, too.  To me, one of the weaker parts of Brian's band is the vocals, and Jeff is part of that.

That "guy" would be Matt Jardine. He sang the falsetto part for the Beach Boys from 1993 until Al left the group.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 11, 2012, 09:46:56 AM »

That "guy" would be Matt Jardine. He sang the falsetto part for the Beach Boys from 1993 until Al left the group.

The video description didn't identify who it was and the camera also kept jumping around so it was hard to tell who was singing falsetto.  Yes, he does a better job than Jeff.  I have heard clips of the Beach Boys after Al left where they had someone doing falsetto parts that sounded better.  Jeff has done a decent if not spectacular job in the past, but I don't think he can do it any longer.  I know he took a lead or two in Brian's band that Brian used to sing, and for the sake of people going to the tour shows, one hopes he won't be doing it with the Beach Boys.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »

Link 1, Mike Love Interview:

http://youtu.be/-T6y8mWzQdY

My apologies for the video quality, I had to cut corners on the encoding to get it uploaded fast enough, the others will follow as soon as they're up!

..see Reply #195 for all video links..

Mike drops 7 different song titles in the first minute of this interview....This must be a new record for him  Smiley

Hardly.  He's getting slow in his old age, usually he can slip 5 or 6 in rapid fire in about 15 seconds or so, the poor guy is starting to slip a little bit with old age.  It's sad to see, the loss of courage as he gets a little farther along, lol. 
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »

Jeff doesn't just dominate the mix, he dominates everything. I've witnessed this first hand, the way he talks to Brian like he's not just a child, but a stupid child. I was shocked. From that point on I've been predisposed not to like the guy. To me he came across as a nasty, arrogant bully. This is in a situation when they thought no fans were present!

There are two sides in the BW camp. The people who treat Brian like a human being, and those who are milking the cash cow. This is not a statement from me, this comes from inside the band. And the inference was that Jeff is on the latter side.

Who knows what goes on, and changes daily in such a complex situation. People have bad days. But what I witnessed was pretty damning.

I'm intrigued. Can you tell us more? As in, an example of how he was bully-like to Brian? Anything specific or just how we basically know he treats him?

I definitely know what you mean about Foskett/others talking to and treating BW like he's a dumb child. It's apparent on the BW DVD's I've seen. Like when they're working on the new SMiLE, Darian Sanahaja-notgonnaworkhereanymore and Foskett especially kind of treat Brian like he's their senile old grandpa who can't wipe his own ass, talking to him like they literally would a kindergartener.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »

That's more like it , thanks for posting..

I am real surprised that nobody has mentioned the rather off last guitar chord by DLM , Oopppppps
No...that's his "In The Back Of My Mind" salute...very cool Dave.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »

I definitely know what you mean about Foskett/others talking to and treating BW like he's a dumb child. It's apparent on the BW DVD's I've seen. Like when they're working on the new SMiLE, Darian Sanahaja-notgonnaworkhereanymore and Foskett especially kind of treat Brian like he's their senile old grandpa who can't wipe his own ass, talking to him like they literally would a kindergartener.

This must be in reference to a special, uncut version of the DVD I haven't seen.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »

The video description didn't identify who it was and the camera also kept jumping around so it was hard to tell who was singing falsetto.  Yes, he does a better job than Jeff.  I have heard clips of the Beach Boys after Al left where they had someone doing falsetto parts that sounded better.  Jeff has done a decent if not spectacular job in the past, but I don't think he can do it any longer.  I know he took a lead or two in Brian's band that Brian used to sing, and for the sake of people going to the tour shows, one hopes he won't be doing it with the Beach Boys.

I think that was Adrian Baker and I really dislike his falsetto, more Frakie valli than BW.

I've said before I dont think Jeffa falsetto is that good - his hero his Brian and he wants to be like him ap he sings high, but really he's much more of a mid range singer. Personally I like Randall kitsch the best, Matt used to be great but more recent videos I'm not quite sure (he probably still is).

Id give the gig to that kid from the fendertones (check YouTube)! Great BW style falsetto and what a magical thing that would be for him!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »

I think Foskett is fine as long as he’s properly mixed. I’ve always preferred Matt Jardine, and not because he’s affiliated with Al or any other reason other than I think Matt’s falsetto is the best overall and, just as importantly, blends the best with the BB’s. I don’t know if it’s a family thing or what, but he has the least affected falsetto of anybody I’ve heard in touring BB bands.

I’d rank Matt first, then Foskett, then Adrian Baker a distant third. Baker actually managed to sound worse than the other BB’s at the infamous Queen Mary TV gig in 1981, and everybody was sounding off at that show. His brief second stint in 1990/91 sounded better, but as many have said, much too Valli-esque.

I can’t rank Kirsche since I haven’t heard him too much. Actually saw him play with Al’s band in 2000 (he was a one-time fill-in), but I don’t think he even sang at all, just played bass.

I think Matt Jardine just has a more pleasant singing voice in general as compared to Foskett. Foskett has a specific tone, a bit nasaly and a bit more jarring, whereas Matt is a bit more smooth and rounded. Matt is also, I’m guessing, a good 5-10 years younger than Foskett as well, so that might give his voice a bit more youth to it.

In any event, I was hoping Matt would be part of the reunion tour, regardless of whether they have him do the falsetto parts.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:46:34 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

Where does Christian Love rank for you guys?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »

This happened in 2005.

I got backstage several hours before a show in Liverpool. I met a lot of the band members who were very kind and gracious to me, as they had enjoyed one of my albums. I met Brian, who was in great spirits, clapped me on the back and had a bit of banter about the weather with me. When I was introduced to Jeff however, he looked at me dismissively, turned away, and announced it was time for the sound check.

A band member had previously been saying to me there were a lot of  politics going on at the moment, and there were two very different sides in the BW camp, and there was a difference in the way Brian was treated. I'll be honest here and not embellish this, as I do not remember great details on this conversation. I do remember it was very much a "them and us" type of dialogue. Jeff was not specifically mentioned, but I must have had some reason to think he was speaking negatively of Jeff.

I asked the band member to whom I was speaking if I could attend the soundcheck, and he said yes. Wow, what an honour, my own private BW concert! They rehearsed some instrumental tracks, then Brian wandered on and sat down at his keyboard. Jeff said "Right, lets rehearse so and so". Brian said, "no, I want to rehearse blah blah" Jeff, trying to be patient, but as if speaking to a child, "No Brian, we need to rehearse this, we only have x amount of time, we're doing this, OK"

Then they rehearse "Tell Me Why", (it's Liverpool).  Jeff says "Brian, you need to learn your harmony, listen, I'll sing it to you"
                                                                                  Brian says "I know it already"
                                                                                  Jeff - (becoming more irritated,) "Brian, let me just sing it to you, we don't have a lot of time".
                                                                                  Brian - " I know it". He sings the lower harmony perfectly.

Then comes the vocal level tests. Brian, staring into space, doesn't hear the sound guy call "Brian". He calls again. Jeff shouts, with an angry, irritated look on his face "Brian, please pay attention, we need to get the levels" Brian barks his note.

Now, in fairness to Jeff, they obviously were up against it time-wise, and I was also rather put out by him snubbing me. And also, seeing it written down here, it may not seem he was being that rude to Brian. But honestly, if you'd heard it you would have been shocked at the withering "look what I have tio put up with" way that he spoke to Brian. I honestly felt like jumping on the stage, shaking him and saying "Who pays your bloody wages?"

Now it may well be that in order to get Brian to do something, you need to be hard with him. I'm sure Dr Landy would agree with this. But to witness it first hand was horrible.

It may also be true that Jeff was having a bad day or something, as I know some of you have met him and he was lovely. Bear in mind though, Jeff did not know there was an audience.

There, and I've tried to be as unbiased and fair to Jeff as possible, but ever since then I've had no time for the guy. So for me personally, the Grammys and the Dodgers have been spoilt by having this guy hogging the sound.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »

I really like Christian, on some songs more than others. Check out the version of God Only Knows with him on lead if you haven't heard it, the timbre of his voice is quite similar to Carls. You can tell he's family and his voice would fit the blend perfectly but I hear he wasn't into being part of the 50th.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 11, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »

He is alright.  He does REMIND one of Carl, but that is as far as I can go with that.  Since we're talking falsettos here, I've never heard Christian try falsetto that I know of.  One name I never heard mentioned as a possible vocalist that DOES sound similar to Carl is his son Justyn
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:10:11 PM by southbay » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx