gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 11:04:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is THE most underrated Brian Wilson song?  (Read 18635 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »

Wake the World is one.  I Want to Pick You Up - some characterize the lyrics as icky but I think it's a gem.  You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone.  Good to My Baby.

Half Moon Bay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »

Guess I'm Dumb. I knew the Wondermints version of Guess I'm Dumb before the original. As soon as I heard it I thought it was a Brian track not knowing he wrote it (with Russ Titelman). The Wondermints version is actually pretty good. I also love the instrumental version on MIC.

Solar System. Loving Astronomy  I 've always liked the farty base, the nursery rhyme style and lyrics about the planets. Its funny, simple but very clever. The chorus of wall to wall Brian's(?) harmonies are great. Definitely not Brian's best song but one I think is underrated. I can't stop playing it.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2015, 10:09:08 PM »

Most underrated?

Solar System.

I can get down with this.  By "Underrated" we're going for stuff that doesn't usually get mentioned as good, and some of the stuff on "Love you" while it's quirky and weird, if you listen those are some really genius songs.  Solar System is one, also I'll bet he's nice, or Airplane.  Airplane is brilliant, it's just all so out of the box that people poo poo it.  

"Over the city in an airplane
I can see everything below
The houses they look so tiny
The cars look like dots
We've only got fifteen minutes to go

The clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly
The sun shines down on the great big beautiful scene

The sound of the engine fills my ears up
I'm hopin' this rainy weather clears up
My lover is waiting at the airport
Soon she'll be kissing me hello

The woman sitting next to me tells me 'bout her guy
And I tell her all about you and I"

It's brilliant.  Most songwriters would kill to be able to write like that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:11:29 PM by Ron » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »

Rio Grande is a good one. I think he went to Smile levels on that one. One that I have recently discovered that blows my mind is Chain Reaction of Love from the Payley sessions.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2015, 05:51:13 PM »

What is meant by "most underrated"?  Almost an oxymoron the way it is being used in this thread.     What makes a song under rated?    That it should be rated higher?    How about something like unappreciated gems or best low charting songs?    Underrated could be any thing from TLGIOK to Still a Mystery.    Most of LOS would qualify as largely undiscovered  gems to the general public.     I say take out the spoken word pieces and get it on the PA at the department stores and grocery chains.     Do a creative rerelease and some PR.   America needs to hear the best solo effort of it's greatest pop composer of the 2nd half of the 20 th century
If Mars had life on it...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2015, 07:56:26 PM »

"Lines" is brilliant imo.  I play it a lot on piano.  Also "This Isn't Love" needs a full on studio recording and release.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2015, 03:36:36 AM »

One that I have recently discovered that blows my mind is Chain Reaction of Love from the Paley sessions.

Yes indeed. Love the organ on that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZsw8XHxnvY

When oh when are these thrilling tracks going to see the official light of day?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »

Farmers Daughter
Back Home
Lonely Sea
Please Let me Wonder
Ballad of Ole Betsy
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2016, 07:15:06 AM »

Sorry for the revival -
I know that "Don't Talk" is highly rated, but even so I think it might be underrated.

Sometimes I just put all my music on shuffle and listen to whatever pops up. It's many thousands of songs so there are some songs I've never run into on shuffle. I've got classical, jazz and 'popular' music, so I've grown accustomed to hearing very different sounds juxtaposed.

But, today for the first time "Don't Talk" popped up. I don't think I've ever heard it out of context before and it was like listening to something recorded by an extraterrestrial who's been listening to earthling music for a few years. You can hear the earthling influence, but it's so other-worldly and weirdly beautiful and beautifully weird. Where did it come from?
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »

Ok, I'm gonna chime in with one....and before anyone responds with "What??  How is that underrated?", I'm not citing a song that's ignored...just one that seems like it should have been huge, at least from my own perspective.

She Says That She Needs Me (Imagination)

I know there has been quite a bit of discussion about Sandy and Sherry, etc.  There's no doubt a finished 1965 cut would have been a mind blower, but the 70's frankenstein mix makes me cringe.  Brian's vocal was a mess on that one.

But the cut from Imagination demonstrates what an excellent this song is in a finished form with a decent vocal.  Brian sounds really good on this one, and the instrumental arrangement sounds great, although I do miss the prominent bassline from the '65 track.

I had pretty much forgotten about the songs on Imagination until recently when I revisited it, and I found She Says...to be a real standout.  That one remained stuck in my head for quite awhile.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2016, 01:55:16 PM »

What is meant by "most underrated"?  Almost an oxymoron the way it is being used in this thread.     What makes a song under rated?    That it should be rated higher?    How about something like unappreciated gems or best low charting songs?    Underrated could be any thing from TLGIOK to Still a Mystery.    Most of LOS would qualify as largely undiscovered  gems to the general public.     I say take out the spoken word pieces and get it on the PA at the department stores and grocery chains.     Do a creative rerelease and some PR.   America needs to hear the best solo effort of it's greatest pop composer of the 2nd half of the 20 th century
Agreed - it bugs me that it is largely unheard by the masses. Would be nice if the general public was aware of Brian or the BB's for more than just the early hits and PS. It seems like every notable rock musician of the last 40 or 50 years praises PS and has it in their collection; but have they explored any of the other music Brian or the group created (well, other than Smile)? Imagine a world in which the only Beatles album people know is Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band; other than that, they stick with the 1 collection. Yeah, right. Everybody knows the Beatles catalog, from beginning to end.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »

Mount Vernon & Fairway.

I wish Brian had been given free rein. I don't particularly care for how it was presented when it came out with Holland, but I am always entranced by the sections on their own, as presented on the GV box set.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2016, 02:39:03 AM »

"The Little Girl I Once Knew".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2016, 03:05:16 AM »

Melt Away...had it been produced differently, say, in the style of Pet Sounds it would be much loved. Great chords & melody.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:06:23 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2016, 04:09:02 AM »

Melt Away...had it been produced differently, say, in the style of Pet Sounds it would be much loved. Great chords & melody.

I'm told the mix was different, richer, back in '88. Still nowhere online, unfortunately... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2016, 05:48:30 AM »

All I Wanna do is fantastic in every way.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2016, 08:12:34 AM »

I think most of the non-45 tracks from PET SOUNDS tend to get "underrated" in the sense that they are not, pardon the pun, frequently "singled out" for praise.

Of that group, I'd rank the songs (with lyrics) as follows:

I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (6.48)
Don't Talk (5.44)
Here Today (4.65)
You Still Believe in Me (6.14)
I Know There's An Answer (3.07)
That's Not Me (3.99)
I'm Waiting for the Day (4.34)

Now we get wonky...the values in parens are the weighted averages from a long-ago "rate the songs" poll conducted here. They shouldn't be taken as anything like gospel (and I know many/most won't!!) because they rank the songs only in the context of the PET SOUNDS album. There was a great deal of individual variation with respect to this song group, which was higher than the average difference of opinion amongst voters on most of the other LPs. That explains the low rankings here, and why few of these tracks have been mentioned here as being "underrated."
KDS
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2016, 08:36:58 AM »

Here's one that I listened to a lot last month when I finally heard Ultimate Christmas for the first time.

Winter Symphony

Not strictly a Christmas song.  But I love the arrangement and Brian sang pretty well for that time period. 

Also, with a blizzard threatening the Mid Atlantic this weekend, it's pretty timely right now. 
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2016, 09:06:55 AM »

Matchpoint of Our Love.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »

All I Wanna do is fantastic in every way.

Agreed! To me, those initial chords are like opening a door into another world only to be found there. "Feel Flows" and "Can't Wait Too Long" are similarly unique----nothing like them anywhere. The Flamingos' "I Only Have Eyes For You" is another. I'm sure everyone can name a few.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »

"The Little Girl I Once Knew".

i agree

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2016, 08:31:39 PM »

LIFE IS FOR THE LIVING!!!!!!!!!!!

And All I Wanna Do
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »

I think they felt that style of production was for the 80's what PS was for the 60's. It doesn't bother me, but maybe that's because I was growing up in the 80's, hearing all the pop music on CHR.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2016, 11:07:07 PM »

First tune that popped into my head was "Our Sweet Love," and since nobody on this thread has mentioned it, but I'm sure nearly everyone is fond of it, I'm stickin' with this as my choice for most underrated.  Smiley

BTW, thanks to the person who mentioned "Just Like Me And You," which I am now listening to for the first time and enjoying it immensely (though I can see why all those delightful rough edges caused it to not to make the final cut).
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2016, 06:22:07 AM »

Every Beach Boys song is underrated by the general public! As we all know by now, they seriously don't get enough respect and love as they deserve.

Without wanting to get everyone on my back, I'd say they should have been more influential than The Beatles and in my opinion, were much, much, much better than them. I grew up listening to The Beatles so I do like them, but compared to the complexity of the BB stuff, their music is just more 'tune' like than masterpiece!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx