gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681062 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 08:44:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pranks  (Read 3207 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »

I hardly hear anything about this group, but you'd think people on Beach Boys boards would be talking about them. They were a powerpop group from the 1970s featuring Jeff Foskett on bass and Randell Kirsch on guitar. I got my hands on their demos the other day and it's some pretty cool stuff. It's funny - both Jeff and Randell are known these days for singing Brian-esque falsetto vocals, but I hear nothing like that in the Pranks' stuff. You'd think 30 years ago their voices would be even stronger.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 07:33:54 AM »

I haven't heard them. But when you say you hear nothing of that [BW falsetto], do you mean they're failing at it, or just not doing it? If it's the latter, then you're thought that their voices would've been stronger 30 years ago seems out of place: that would be a matter of style decisions, not a matter of vocal strength.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 10:19:33 PM »

Well, I mean I hear some high harmonies, but they're very blah. I didn't mean to phrase it the way I did, but I mean, imagine how great their falsetto voices must've been 30 years ago if they're at good-enough-to-imitate-BW-professionally level today.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx