gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681030 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 01:17:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: any new info on another new BB album?  (Read 13668 times)
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »

I don't know if another album would be right.

As much as I love hearing the pure musical bliss that comes from Brian's brain, TWGMTR seemed like a pretty definitive curtain call.  The suite at the end reminds me of Abbey Road.

And the lyrics...well....I think they are kind of depressing because they are about the end of the band, and era, and people's lives.  Additional material would just be kind of weird. 

"Sometimes I realize it's time to move along"

"Sunlight fading and there's not much left to say"

etc.

etc.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »

As much as I love hearing the pure musical bliss that comes from Brian's brain, TWGMTR seemed like a pretty definitive curtain call.  The suite at the end reminds me of Abbey Road.

And the lyrics...well....I think they are kind of depressing because they are about the end of the band, and era, and people's lives.  Additional material would just be kind of weird. 

etc.

etc.

Yeah, but The Beatles followed "The End" with..."Let It Be".  Smiley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »

TWGMTR is the perfect curtain call for the last album but if they all collectively want to do another album...are we really going to deny them that opportunity (not that they'd look to us for an answer).  But honestly, if they want to come together again then by all means they should.  I'm always up for some new tunes by these guys and as long as they're still around, willing and able then why not?
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »

At this point I don't know what else to expect/look forward to. I wouldn't mind another album if they're up to it. And from what's been going around, it's very likely that another album might be in the works.

Well, who knows? We have something going on that we never thought would happen so anything is possible  Smiley

mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »

etc.

etc.

True, but Abbey Road was recorded after Let it Be.  The suite was intended to be the end of the catalogue.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »

I have heard that a lot of the stuff that was left out was terrible!

lawl, who said this? I'll grant you that "Waves Of Love" wouldn't have been a standout on the album, as would a stripped down and improved upon "She Believes In Love Again", but I can't imagine either version is legitimately terrible. Otherwise, sans the short clip of one of the suite songs, do we have any idear what else was recorded but didn't make it?

"I'll Go Anywhere" Sounds like a Pet-Sounds Styled H&V

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »

etc.

etc.

True, but Abbey Road was recorded after Let it Be.  The suite was intended to be the end of the catalogue.

Err. Says who? Never heard Messrs. McCartney, Lennon, Starr, or Harrison ever say anything like that.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »

If there is another BBs record, there better be songwriting contributions from all of them, even if it's just one song each from Al, Dave, Mike, and Bruce. Nothing against Brian, I still want to hear plenty of contributions from him, but it's not 1966. The other guys are capable of writing songs too. TWGMTR would've been dud-free if Spring Vacation and Beaches in Mind were replaced by Waves of Love, Don't Fight the Sea, San Simeon, Drivin', 10000 Years (2005 Mike Love version, of course-would've given Denny a writing credit!!), Cool Head Warm Heart, Glow Cresent Glow, I Sail Away, and/or potentially halfway decent Dave and/or Bruce songs (and maybe a major lyrical rewrite of the otherwise great title track). I was majorly disappointed when I saw that Al and Dave didn't get any songs on the album.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »

lawl, who said this? I'll grant you that "Waves Of Love" wouldn't have been a standout on the album, as would a stripped down and improved upon "She Believes In Love Again", but I can't imagine either version is legitimately terrible. Otherwise, sans the short clip of one of the suite songs, do we have any idear what else was recorded but didn't make it?

Pardon my ignorance, but where are y'all hearing "I'll Go Anywhere"?
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »

No new info to offer, other than what's been mentioned.  Still, I've said it before:  Give me a nice double LP of Rock 'n' Roll, packaged with a completed "My Life" suite.

C'mon, admit it, it'd be ecstasy.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 05:44:36 AM »

Err. Says who? Never heard Messrs. McCartney, Lennon, Starr, or Harrison ever say anything like that.

From wikipedia (I know, but this seems fairly accurate re: their interviews for Anthology) -

After the near-disastrous sessions for the proposed Get Back album (later released as Let It Be), Paul McCartney suggested to music producer George Martin that the group get together and make an album "the way we used to", free of the conflict that began following the death of Brian Epstein and carrying over to the sessions for the "White Album". Martin agreed, stipulating that he must be allowed to do the album his way. This would be the last time the band would record with Martin. In their interviews for The Beatles Anthology, the surviving band members stated that, although none of them ever made the distinction of calling it the "last album", they all felt at the time this would very likely be the final Beatles product and therefore agreed to set aside their differences and "go out on a high note".

Personally, I think McCartney did know that this would be the last Beatles album recorded, and the 'suite' was his idea. 

As for TWGMTR, I wouldn't mind if it was the last album from our heroes.  I wouldn't mind them doing more recording either, if they have it in them.  I'm just saying that if TWGMTR is indeed their last hurrah, I'm fine with that.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 05:54:35 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but where are y'all hearing "I'll Go Anywhere"?

A clip of the backing tracks with some background vocals was in the Doin' It Again doc.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 05:56:55 AM »

If there is another BBs record, there better be songwriting contributions from all of them, even if it's just one song each from Al, Dave, Mike, and Bruce. Nothing against Brian, I still want to hear plenty of contributions from him, but it's not 1966. The other guys are capable of writing songs too. TWGMTR would've been dud-free if Spring Vacation and Beaches in Mind were replaced by Waves of Love, Don't Fight the Sea, San Simeon, Drivin', 10000 Years (2005 Mike Love version, of course-would've given Denny a writing credit!!), Cool Head Warm Heart, Glow Cresent Glow, I Sail Away, and/or potentially halfway decent Dave and/or Bruce songs (and maybe a major lyrical rewrite of the otherwise great title track). I was majorly disappointed when I saw that Al and Dave didn't get any songs on the album.

Is that really needed to show that everyone is a part of the group? I think it's important to have everyone contribute vocally (and in Dave's case, instrumentally), but I'm not sure I would want more re-recorded songs from Bruce, Dave, Al or Mike's solo catalog just so they can have a credit.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 07:02:04 AM »

The other guys are capable of writing songs too. TWGMTR would've been dud-free if Spring Vacation and Beaches in Mind were replaced by Waves of Love, Don't Fight the Sea, San Simeon, Drivin', 10000 Years (2005 Mike Love version, of course-would've given Denny a writing credit!!), Cool Head Warm Heart, Glow Cresent Glow, I Sail Away, and/or potentially halfway decent Dave and/or Bruce songs (and maybe a major lyrical rewrite of the otherwise great title track). I was majorly disappointed when I saw that Al and Dave didn't get any songs on the album.

Anyone is capable of writing songs. With the exception of Brian, and to an extent Mike, the surviving members haven't really shown much evidence of being able to write particularly *good* songs. Al and Bruce have written one or two decent tracks each in a fifty year career. I don't like Spring Vacation or Beaches In Mind either, but those songs you list aren't much better -- at worst (Waves Of Love) they're just as bad, and at best they're basically competent. And five of them have already been released.

Al and Bruce's vocal contributions to the album were magnificent, but even though I think the album could have been better than it is, I don't think it would have been improved much by anything they could add as songwriters.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:51 AM »

The other guys are capable of writing songs too. TWGMTR would've been dud-free if Spring Vacation and Beaches in Mind were replaced by Waves of Love, Don't Fight the Sea, San Simeon, Drivin', 10000 Years (2005 Mike Love version, of course-would've given Denny a writing credit!!), Cool Head Warm Heart, Glow Cresent Glow, I Sail Away, and/or potentially halfway decent Dave and/or Bruce songs (and maybe a major lyrical rewrite of the otherwise great title track). I was majorly disappointed when I saw that Al and Dave didn't get any songs on the album.

Anyone is capable of writing songs. With the exception of Brian, and to an extent Mike, the surviving members haven't really shown much evidence of being able to write particularly *good* songs. Al and Bruce have written one or two decent tracks each in a fifty year career. I don't like Spring Vacation or Beaches In Mind either, but those songs you list aren't much better -- at worst (Waves Of Love) they're just as bad, and at best they're basically competent. And five of them have already been released.

Al and Bruce's vocal contributions to the album were magnificent, but even though I think the album could have been better than it is, I don't think it would have been improved much by anything they could add as songwriters.

Very well put. Generally speaking, BW's very best work has come about through external collaborations, for the last 50 years.

“We live in divisive times.”
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 01:40:24 AM »

Well, maybe not Bruce, but Al can turn in a halfway decent song when he wants to. Maybe my judgement is too clouded by the more democratically produced early 70s records being some of their best. Even BB85, which had everybody contributing, isn't that bad (at least the songs thenselves are OK, can't say the same about Steven Levine's synths).

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 05:05:52 AM »

A couple of gentleman who worked on the songs.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »

Well, maybe not Bruce, but Al can turn in a halfway decent song when he wants to. Maybe my judgement is too clouded by the more democratically produced early 70s records being some of their best. Even BB85, which had everybody contributing, isn't that bad (at least the songs thenselves are OK, can't say the same about Steven Levine's synths).

Al's written a few good songs, yes -- but looking at his solo album (which I like very much) shows that he's not exactly a prolific composer of good new material. Half of it's covers and remakes, and much of the rest dates back to the 70s or 80s (and a lot of it is very derivative of other people's work). He's a great singer, and from his solo album he's a good producer and vocal arranger, but he's not an especially accomplished songwriter.

And remember, those more democratic records were made by a band with Carl and Dennis (and Blondie and Ricky for some of them) involved -- and with Carl as de facto band leader.

I have no problem with the idea of Al, Bruce or David writing songs for a future album -- if Al can come up with another All This Is That or California, or Bruce another Disney Girls, then they should definitely be included. But I certainly don't think that there should be a slot on the album reserved for each band member's contribution, no matter how bad or inappropriate. The only consideration should be an artistic one -- is the material used the best the band have, and/or does it help the album's flow?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »

I'm all for them putting out another (more?) album's so long as they maintain a level of quality at least to that in TWGMTR. Don't just rush into the studio to release one on the back of the current one. Don't force it; posters here and elsewhere suggest that when Brian is forced to do something, we don't get his best. I'm not even sure that any album should be called their "final" one at this time or the immediate future because one sometimes never knows if it is final. When someone "retires" (especially in the world of sports) and then makes a comeback down the road more often than not they get criticized. Why put yourself in that position? While it might be nice and neat to say some release is the final album, do we/they really need that (marketing aside, perhaps)? I kind of like the expectation of possible future BB releases (again, so long as the quality continues to be there); not having that to look forward to would close a chapter in our lives and that would be disappointing.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »

I think having a good last album like TWGMTR is great, but I think the fact that it should've been an amazing Brian suite that the band declined perfectly ends the saga.

Pet Sounds = Begrudgingly
SMiLE = Declined
Til' I Die = Originally Declined
Mt Vernon and Fairway = Originally Declined
Beach Boys Love You = Apparently, "Doesn't Exist"
Adult/Child = Declined
The Fabled "Pet Sounds 2" project = ignored
My Life Suite = Declined

SO Typical.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »

I don't think that's what actually happened. Brian didn't finish the suite. He had written lots of other material, including songs with Mike, that he wanted on the record.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »

I think having a good last album like TWGMTR is great, but I think the fact that it should've been an amazing Brian suite that the band declined perfectly ends the saga.

Pet Sounds = Begrudgingly
SMiLE = Declined
Til' I Die = Originally Declined
Mt Vernon and Fairway = Originally Declined
Beach Boys Love You = Apparently, "Doesn't Exist"
Adult/Child = Declined
The Fabled "Pet Sounds 2" project = ignored
My Life Suite = Declined

SO Typical.

The suite wasn't declined - it's not even finished (yet)!

And honestly, if the suite was fully developed and finished, and lets say it ran the length of a full album, I'm sure the label would have had less of a problem with it than Mike Love.

What is the fabled Pet Sounds 2 project?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »

Smile was declined by Brian Wilson.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »

I'm not sure I would count Mt. Vernon and Fairway among Brian's greatest accomplishments.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »

Is that really needed to show that everyone is a part of the group? I think it's important to have everyone contribute vocally (and in Dave's case, instrumentally), but I'm not sure I would want more re-recorded songs from Bruce, Dave, Al or Mike's solo catalog just so they can have a credit.

I agree. Brian's still the best and most prolific songwriter of the band. He more than the others doesn't  seem to think he has to write in a cliche Beach Boys-style. Interesting of note is that Alex mentioned two songs being "dud"'s which were co-written by Mike. Brian had some success solo with songs/albums and that I think that gave him the freedom to write what he wants to. And I also think that a good songwriter should never try to imitate or repeat himelf (repeating of course doesn't mean writing in your own style)
I think that some tracks on Mike's unreleased soloalbum (like "Daybreak over..." was until TWGMTR) are quite good and maybe Al has also one or two left. I don't know enough about David's songwriting skills so I can't say nothing about him. But I'm very disappointed if Bruce really only has a re-recording left inside of him. Ok, if the song wasn't released but it was...on a Beach Boys album ! That guy is really talented and I wouldn't wonder if he has another "Deirdre" or "Disney girls (1957)" inside of him. If he only wants to go the re-recording route then imo there's no place for that. If Mike, Al and david have songs that are better than the ones Brian brings in I'd say "put 'em out". If not, let Brian do it.
And another thing is that the album would have to have a coherent sound. You can't put a "River song" onto TWGMTR no matter how great it is or how cool the album is.

What I'm trying to say is that the quality of the music has to come first, no matter who wrote what song, etc. And it seems that Brian is the only one who can come up with enough quality material that is suited for the Beach Boys. He probably knows the complete voices better than any of the guys knows his own.
The recordings themselves still can have a lot of creative input of the other boys (that goes of course also for songs written by someone else than Brian -» I'm a little disappointed that they didn't re-do all the vocals for "Daybreak...").

There are some no-go's though imo:

- re-recordings of songs that they already released: no, just no !
- putting a song on it just because it is already finished although it totally feels out of place (like "Don't fight the sea" would have on TWGMTR)
- taking the easiest road and going with cliche-like written songs because they are too lazy to write another, better song or work on it (with this approach they shouldn't anything imo)

I think TWGMTR really is an ejoyable and fitting last record. As i mentioned before, if they can't do another record at least as good as that album they shouldn't do it. If they can, I'd be happy to listen to it. But there has to be something like a quality control imo. Unfortunately I don't think that anyone would tell Brian that one of his songs is sh!t, if that should be the case.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx