gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680908 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 12:47:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark L discusses remixing BBs catalogue 'in the box'  (Read 6557 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »

Cheers for the link - that's gold; seeing Mark L at work and getting a glimpse behind the curtain.

I've no doubt Mark was refering to the box - I'd hazard using 50 Big Ones cover was in lieu of available artwork (and I suspect the box cover art will take a similar approach).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:23:59 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »

Hmmmm...I dunno.

When was this video shot?  He talks about working on a box set for 2013, but then it immediately shows the cover to 50 Big Ones.  Why?  Then he proceeds to work on the stereo mix of "Darlin'", which was already released on said compilation.  No specific mention of Made In California; so it is a little unclear if he was referring to that elusive release or the already-released 50 Big Ones.  

So Mark was referring to a box set "to be released sometime this year" that had already been released ? Video was obviously shot after the Grammy shout last month. Not unclear at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 02:16:09 AM »

Mark's exact words regarding the box set:

''What I'm currently working on is multi-volume career retrospective box for the Beach Boys that will be coming out, probably sometime in mid-2013'

How anyone misunderstood this is beyond me.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 02:26:44 AM »

''What I'm currently working on is multi-volume career retrospective box for the Beach Boys that will be coming out, probably sometime in mid-2013'

Exactly - it couldn't be anything else

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 03:46:22 AM »

He talks about working on a box set for 2013, but then it immediately shows the cover to 50 Big Ones.  Why?

Anyone seen the cover artwork for MIC yet? Me neither. Could be part of the reason…

“We live in divisive times.”
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 06:07:37 AM »

Yeah I don't think we need to obsess over details such as why they showed the 50 Big Ones cover.  As Wirestone said, the video was essentially made to market the Steven Slate audio plug-ins that Mark is using, but it is cool that there was an added interest for the likes of us.

I hope Mark does another in depth feature with someone like Sound On Sound magazine at some point, like he did for the BWPS recording.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 09:16:51 AM »

He talks about working on a box set for 2013, but then it immediately shows the cover to 50 Big Ones.  Why?

Anyone seen the cover artwork for MIC yet? Me neither. Could be part of the reason…

Yeah, it took me about 1/2 a second to figure it out.  They had to show something.  I don't understand the confusion; it's not rocket science or anything!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »

Oh, damn, it's beyond me too, Paulos!  How could anybody have missed what Mark said??  It's right there in the video for everyone to hear and see!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:50:54 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »

Well I guess two discs could be considered 'multi-volume', and it does come in a box....
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:05:26 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

Carl certainly could sing the f*** out of song, couldn't he?  Man.
His vocals on the Wild Honey album knock me out. I am impressed by those more so than any other thing he did. Just my preference...but I think that the title track is his best vocal ever. Some people think its his worst ??
Also, I really like Mark's stereo mix. I love how the music and vocals jump right out of the speakers. Darlin' definitely benefitted from a stereo mix.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »

Yeah, it took me about 1/2 a second to figure it out.  They had to show something.  I don't understand the confusion; it's not rocket science or anything!

Slow down there, egghead!  Quit making fun of us dumbfolk! 

I just thought the whole presentation was a tad misleading.  That is all.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »

Slow down there, egghead!  Quit making fun of us dumbfolk! 

I just thought the whole presentation was a tad misleading.  That is all.

To those who are clueless, yes. That really shouldn't be anyone who reads and participates on these boards, though.

It doesn't really matter in the end, the video was not about promoting the Beach Boys or any release past or present of the Beach Boys. It was for the software plugins for mixing music that was originally recorded on analog equipment.

It just so happened that he used a track of the Beach Boys, that doesn't make a difference in terms of what the video was promoting. It may be misleading--to those who have inadequate comprehension skills.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 09:59:28 PM »

And the Beach Boys track in that video, which sounded different than any released version, was worth listening to and commenting on.  That's what mattered to me.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx