gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681035 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 01:25:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goin' To The Beach/Follow Me To The Sea  (Read 2055 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »

Just, er, come into a bunch of cds full of rarities, including Goin To The Beach and Follow me To The Sea. What is the history behind these songs please, anyone know? According to the somewhat unreliable cd liner notes (LOTS of bad grammar/spelling!), they date from the 'Surf's Up' sessions, however I've never heard these songs mentioned as having been part of those sessions and so I'm assuming they're from a later date.

Also, I'd never heard it before but 'Viggie' by Mike - wow! What a great song! Where the hell did he pull that one from?? Is it a solo writing credit? Furthermore, why, when he was capable of producing a song such as this, did he release the breathtakingly appalling Lookin' Back With Love? Truely, he is a very complex bloke.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:27:34 AM »

"GTTB" is a KTSA outtake. The other title, I think, is a mislabelled Dennis solo track. Certainly no song of his has that official title as far as I'm aware. Rings a bell, mind.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »

I see mentions being made on boards about a Dennis Wilson song from the early 70's called "Follow Me To The Sea". Any one know anything about this track?

It's a different name for an overdubbed version of the "quad symphony".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:17:38 AM »

Thanks... now I recall, someone sent  played it to me last century. That one does date from 1970/71, but it's nothing to do with Surf's Up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:19:15 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:29:38 AM »

Thought not. So am i the only one here who's both heard and rates Viggie?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »

Viggie is on one of Mike's unreleased solo albums, First Love, which also has "Brian's Back" and "Sumahama".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

First heard Mike's solo albums back in the early 80s... "Viggie" is great (both versions): written about his then English girlfriend, Virginia.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »

First heard Mike's solo albums back in the early 80s... "Viggie" is great (both versions): written about his then English girlfriend, Virginia.
So what nationality is she nowadays?  Razz

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »

Yeah i knew where Viggie originated from. It really is a great song. Sad that Mike is/was capable of such great music but that his reputation is pretty much irredeemably tarnished...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »

Just, er, come into a bunch of cds full of rarities, including Goin To The Beach and Follow me To The Sea. What is the history behind these songs please, anyone know? According to the somewhat unreliable cd liner notes (LOTS of bad grammar/spelling!), they date from the 'Surf's Up' sessions, however I've never heard these songs mentioned as having been part of those sessions and so I'm assuming they're from a later date.

More about "Goin' to the beach" at 1:20:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3ZlgzFqz8

I don't remember if I ever heard "Viggie".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »

Fascinating video. I've seen that before. It's just a shame this is the only decent footage of the Beach Boys working in the studio. I don't count Stars and Stripes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »

And pity Dennis is MIA.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx