gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 02:04:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1741844 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: August 30, 2011, 04:14:38 PM »

The H&V video has to include Mike, in his Hawaiian shirt, and Bruce in his shorts, and the rest of the touring Beach Boys driving into a western town in a woodie, with SMiLE surfboards.

Brian is the sheriff who has a zero tolerence policy on surfi music, surfing and surf. His band are his faithful deputies.

Al is in the Cantina with his band

You see this works on so many levels. Its the whole creativity vs consumerism argument, i.e, friggin' with the formula. Yet surfing is about freedom. Who is the hero, and who is the villain? Also you have all the different versions of the Beach Boys, who have a big shootout at the end. They all die

No one nick my idea 'k

Doubt anyone will. 250 word limit. They're looking more for concepts not as fleshed out like that I believe.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #5526 on: August 30, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »

The H&V video has to include Mike, in his Hawaiian shirt, and Bruce in his shorts, and the rest of the touring Beach Boys driving into a western town in a woodie, with SMiLE surfboards.

Brian is the sheriff who has a zero tolerence policy on surfi music, surfing and surf. His band are his faithful deputies.

Al is in the Cantina with his band

You see this works on so many levels. Its the whole creativity vs consumerism argument, i.e, friggin' with the formula. Yet surfing is about freedom. Who is the hero, and who is the villain? Also you have all the different versions of the Beach Boys, who have a big shootout at the end. They all die

No one nick my idea 'k

Doubt anyone will. 250 word limit. They're looking more for concepts not as fleshed out like that I believe.

You've shattered my SMiLE dream........
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: August 30, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »

man i really want a light-up SMiLE shop on my box! 700 bucks?!!! really??!!!!!

the surfboard is pretty friggin' sweet too if you ask me. but 6 grand is completely outrageous.
Seriously.  A 9'6" Hobie board goes for around $1000.  The pricing is definitely for the hodads out there.  

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: August 30, 2011, 04:26:53 PM »

man i really want a light-up SMiLE shop on my box! 700 bucks?!!! really??!!!!!

the surfboard is pretty friggin' sweet too if you ask me. but 6 grand is completely outrageous.
Seriously.  A 9'6" Hobie board goes for around $1000.  The pricing is definitely for the hodads out there.  
I am going to get a board and put the logo on it!! Custom mal will cost around $1200 Aussie dollars.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: August 30, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »

I love this part of the press release.

In 1965, Brian Wilson met an up-and-coming session keyboard player and songwriter, Van Dyke Parks. Noticing Parks' conversational eloquence, Wilson felt that he could help to volley The Beach Boys’ songwriting into the wave of broader-messaged and socially-conscious rock 'n' roll that would come to define the '60s. They were soon collaborating on keynote songs for SMiLE, including “Heroes And Villains,” the band’s follow-up single to “Good Vibrations.” Wilson and Parks would also co-write “Surf's Up,” “Vega-Tables,” “Cabin Essence,” “Do You Like Worms,” “Wonderful,” “Wind Chimes,” and other pieces of the SMiLE tapestry. Parks also introduced Frank Holmes to create album sleeve art and a booklet interpreting the album’s James Joyce-mode lyrics.

The reason SMiLE did not see a release in 1967 had more to do with back room business that obscured the creative side of the program than anything else. In late 1966, The Beach Boys formed Brother Records, initially to produce outside artists. Soon, however, The Beach Boys would become embroiled in a court action with Capitol Records with the goal to become the top-selling artists on their self-owned, independent label. The group withheld “Heroes And Villains” and announced they would instead release “Vega-Tables” – recorded with the band’s own money in April of '67 – on Brother Records. By July of 1967, Capitol Records and The Beach Boys had come to terms, with Capitol agreeing to distribute the band’s Brother Records, and it was agreed that SMiLE was no longer to be the band’s next album.

The Beach Boys and Capitol/EMI will celebrate the band’s 50th Anniversary in 2012. Plans for commemorative releases and other anniversary activities will be announced.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: August 30, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »

This way of thinking always gets to me.  Why couldn't they have recorded the lyrics AND heavily complained about them?  As far as I know it IS physically possible to SING a lyric, (with feeling, too!) even if you don't like it very much!  Throw in the fact that, hey, you're already in the studio AND you're already PAYING for the studio time and engineers.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

"Forget, Dan, it was the '60's."

-- David

Afro

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Jason
« Reply #5531 on: August 30, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »

I was just thinking about this earlier today. The 2 LPs in the box set are the same as the 2 LP vinyl set that will be released at the same time. It is kind of a drag that the extra tracks on side four of the vinyls couldn't just be added to one of the discs, unless, of course, there is no more room on the discs in order to allow such a measure.

Call me a stickler for historical accuracy, but a 1967 Beach Boys LP would not have been split over three sides with a fourth side of "bonus tracks". If you add the track times on the vinyl for the first three sides, it runs 48:24. There were LPs that ran around the same length in 1967.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: August 30, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »

I think Wind Chimes might be the early version, since it says 3:06. I've only heard the 2:28 version with vocals  :D
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #5533 on: August 30, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »

I think Wind Chimes might be the early version, since it says 3:06. I've only heard the 2:28 version with vocals  :D

I hope so, I prefer that version.

If they have the multitracks for the regular vocal, it could have be flown in quite easily.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: August 30, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »

I don't think that I've ever heard such a clear version of H&V.  Love the extended ending of GV, too.   Also very nice to have such high-quality JPGs of the Smile cover.   
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: August 30, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »

Completely agree, Manual.  I have to either buy a new turntable or dust the cob webs off my old Thorens turntable and get a new stylus just to hear these tracks. Why not duplicate it on another CD? Yeah, they'll be available for download on Mp3 somewhere, but still would like these on a CD - kinda like disc 5 of the GV box set. It's ridiculous. I know vinyl is making somewhat of a comeback, but putting tracks we haven't heard before on the vinyl is pushing it.

Do think it's cool having the album on vinyl though with the black Capitol label!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: August 30, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »

Where's the thread where everyone is losing their minds with the newly revealed track times? We have ALL the running times for every track on the box set. Where is Fishmonk?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »

First page on http://pitchfork.com/  Smiley
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: August 30, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »

Cd 2 Surf's Up- first movement-4.55,
I'm assuming that's more than one take ,unless It's a different version.
Very intriguing!!
http://www.merchdirect.com/TheBeachBoys/Combos/Limited_SMiLE_LIGHT_UP_Box_Set?productid=14651

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:22:52 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: August 30, 2011, 06:39:10 PM »

Cd 2 Surf's Up- first movement-4.55,
I'm assuming that's more than one take ,unless It's a different version.
Very intriguing!!
http://www.merchdirect.com/TheBeachBoys/Combos/Limited_SMiLE_LIGHT_UP_Box_Set?productid=14651

Multi takes? OR the "Dove Nested" is part of movement 1 and movement 2 is new?

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: August 30, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »

Yay, now all the hipsters can empty their wallets  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: August 30, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »

Completely agree, Manual.  I have to either buy a new turntable or dust the cob webs off my old Thorens turntable and get a new stylus just to hear these tracks. Why not duplicate it on another CD? Yeah, they'll be available for download on Mp3 somewhere, but still would like these on a CD - kinda like disc 5 of the GV box set. It's ridiculous. I know vinyl is making somewhat of a comeback, but putting tracks we haven't heard before on the vinyl is pushing it.

Do think it's cool having the album on vinyl though with the black Capitol label!

Eh, I wish the whole thing was going to be on vinyl so I wouldn't have to deal with those annoying shiny little discs to play the sessions...
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: August 30, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »

Isn't He Gives Speeches 55 seconds? This new running time is 1:14.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: August 30, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »

I love this part of the press release.

In 1965, Brian Wilson met an up-and-coming session keyboard player and songwriter, Van Dyke Parks. Noticing Parks' conversational eloquence, Wilson felt that he could help to volley The Beach Boys’ songwriting into the wave of broader-messaged and socially-conscious rock 'n' roll that would come to define the '60s. They were soon collaborating on keynote songs for SMiLE, including “Heroes And Villains,” the band’s follow-up single to “Good Vibrations.” Wilson and Parks would also co-write “Surf's Up,” “Vega-Tables,” “Cabin Essence,” “Do You Like Worms,” “Wonderful,” “Wind Chimes,” and other pieces of the SMiLE tapestry. Parks also introduced Frank Holmes to create album sleeve art and a booklet interpreting the album’s James Joyce-mode lyrics.

The reason SMiLE did not see a release in 1967 had more to do with back room business that obscured the creative side of the program than anything else. In late 1966, The Beach Boys formed Brother Records, initially to produce outside artists. Soon, however, The Beach Boys would become embroiled in a court action with Capitol Records with the goal to become the top-selling artists on their self-owned, independent label. The group withheld “Heroes And Villains” and announced they would instead release “Vega-Tables” – recorded with the band’s own money in April of '67 – on Brother Records. By July of 1967, Capitol Records and The Beach Boys had come to terms, with Capitol agreeing to distribute the band’s Brother Records, and it was agreed that SMiLE was no longer to be the band’s next album.

The Beach Boys and Capitol/EMI will celebrate the band’s 50th Anniversary in 2012. Plans for commemorative releases and other anniversary activities will be announced.

That's not the way I've heard the story! - Well everyone a hero and no villains.  No rats aboard this magic ship in perfect harmony...Lets go have have chili dollopped with sour cream.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:51:34 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: August 30, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »

Isn't He Gives Speeches 55 seconds? This new running time is 1:14.

Maybe they are including the infamous "two-foot" intro which by the way is one of my favorite studio ad-libs of all time.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »

Some question marks about the times:

5. Heroes And Villains: I'm In Great Shape (10/27/66) (4:59)
That is way longer than what has been booted of IIGS.

8. Heroes And Villains: Bag Of Tricks (2:58)
Are sessions of Bag of Tricks booted or just the final take?

30. Heroes And Villains: Organ Waltz / Intro (2:04)
Way longer than what i've heard, which is a few bars, about 30 seconds.

36. Heroes And Villains Piano Demo (incorporating “I’m In Great Shape” and “Barnyard”) Brian with Van Dyke Parks and “Humble Harve” Miller, KHJ Radio (11/4/66) (4:17)
Don't we only have about 2:30 of this?

2. Vegetables: Ballad Insert (4/14/67) (1:03)
i wonder if this is the Marilyn attempt.

16. You're Welcome (12/15/66) (6:41)
Seems long, i wonder what this has.

17. You're With Me Tonight (6/6–6/7/67) (2:46)
Conversely, this seems really short.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:04:52 PM by monicker » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: August 30, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »

Just read a comment by Frank Holme's daughter Betsy on the Pitchfork Facebook post

" the reason this edition is important is that the artwork is the ORIGINAL. my father is the artist (and yes, still alive)"

Needless to say I liked the comment

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: August 30, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »

it's alright, Mike's Beard, just put this in your mouth and, er, breathe on it a while....  Smokin

Ah, you went to a Catholic school as well......

Horrible.  Just horrible.  lol
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: August 30, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »

Some question marks about the times:

5. Heroes And Villains: I'm In Great Shape (10/27/66) (4:59)
That is way longer than what has been booted of IIGS.

About 2 minutes longer

8. Heroes And Villains: Bag Of Tricks (2:58)
Are sessions of Bag of Tricks booted or just the final take?

Probably sessions. There are about 2 minutes of Bag of Tricks bootlegged.

30. Heroes And Villains: Organ Waltz / Intro (2:04)
Way longer than what i've heard, which is a few bars, about 30 seconds.

Yep, exciting.

36. Heroes And Villains Piano Demo (incorporating “I’m In Great Shape” and “Barnyard”) Brian with Van Dyke Parks and “Humble Harve” Miller, KHJ Radio (11/4/66) (4:17)
Don't we only have about 2:30 of this?

We have a 4 minute version on the H&V Sessions bootleg.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: August 30, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »

Yay, now all the hipsters can empty their wallets  Grin

Makes sense!

After all VDP was pretty much THE original hipster as we now know them Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: