gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 07:33:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1741769 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5700 on: August 31, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »

Has anyone ever read Lewis Shiner's opinions on BWPS? Or the upcoming box set?

(Lewis Shiner being the author of "Glimpses"--which was quite a fun read if you skipped over all the lousy marriages and scuba diving deaths.)

He seemed as obsessive as any of us--it just makes me wonder.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: August 31, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »

Are Capitol making a profit with 170 price tag on each box set..

Anybody got a vague idea how much if would cost for them to make each one

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5702 on: August 31, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »

I will say that hearing mid-60's songs as they were broadcast on AM radio - which is essentially why they were mixed a certain way, EQ'ed a certain way, and mastered a certain way to sound good over AM - can be a revelation. Songs heard in the format they were mixed and mastered to sound best come alive. A remaster, remix, or digital reissue cannot touch the impact of hearing those originals on AM broadcasts.
Amen. I used to think that was a load of bull until I heard a version of "Get Off My Cloud" by the Stones at a museum that was played back on equipment that simulated/recreated the sound of '60s AM radio. Man, it blew my mind. It was just this insane wall of sound. It's much different than what you'd hear if you played it on modern equipment. NOW I get why a reviewer at the time called it a "cacophony". I just thought he was being stodgy. But on old AM radios, it truly was a glorious cacophony.

Now I wonder what Spector sounded like back then... I'd probably get as obsessed as Brian if I ever heard it.

Probyn mentioned something to this effect to me....that 60's singles were put through an additional tube pre-amp before broadcast on AM radios, which resulted in a really warm sound that we just don't have access to anymore. Something to be said about hearing Good Vibrations for the first time on the AM radio.........lets be honest Brian was a singles guy + on the AM radio his songs (along with Jan & Dean, Spector, Motown, etc etc) probably sounded the best they ever will, no matter how many times they're remastering/mixing them

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5703 on: August 31, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »

Also, anyone know if there's word yet as to how many preserved 1966/67 mixes will be included in the release, and how many are 2011 mixes? That's what the H&V/GV had me wondering

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »

I wish we could just put this issue to rest. And hopefully come November 1st, we can.

Brian put out BWPS in 2004 to great acclaim.

Now there will be an official Capitol SMILE product with all the guilty parties (sans Carl/Dennis) getting to have their say in the liner notes.

Case closed?

I doubt the case will ever be completely closed because of the ramifications that followed SMiLE's non-release in 1967.  There are a lot people who will always firmly be in camp Brian and those who try to play the fence and regardless where you stand on the issue you probably don't have the full story and more than likely nobody ever will.  As far as the liner notes go they don't mean much to me as this is a Beach Boys product and they aren't likely to say anything to damage the brand's appeal to the masses.  I believe everyone will get their say but it will be opinions that are intended for the ears of the masses and not necessarily what they would say to each other if they were being completely honest about it in close quarters.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:30:40 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: August 31, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »

What's this? http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Second-Beach-Boys/dp/B0018CB95Y/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314847732&sr=1-11

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: August 31, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »

that would be a bootleg

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »

You don't normally see stuff like that on Amazon, so I thought I'd ask.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: August 31, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »

You don't normally see stuff like that on Amazon, so I thought I'd ask.
Yeah I asked about it as well but the reply is buried about 20 pages back!! LOL

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: August 31, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »

One thing someone over on the hoffman board mentioned that had also crossed my mind is that, when looking at the time for CITFOM (2:14), it seems as though the piano/vox section and jazz fade won't be making the proper album  Sad

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: August 31, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »

Could some kind soul please PM me a rip of the "Cabinessence/Wonderful" single?  I bought one today (I promise, see attached pic) but my turntable is currently buried away in storage. 

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: August 31, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »

you can youtubetomp3 (google it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrFeN16LZZ4
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: August 31, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »

Let's hear some guesses as to what Vegetables is going to have. That one seems like a big mystery. It's listed as 3:49, 20 seconds longer than the GVbox, and a staggering minute and a half longer than BWPS. Could be some exciting stuff in there.

Personally, i'm hoping it's just 3 minutes and 49 seconds of Marilyn lovingly crooning in my ear, telling me that she'll feel better when i send her a letter telling her the name of my favorite vegetable.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:01:58 PM by monicker » Logged

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: August 31, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »

The other day this guy I happen to talk to told me that "we aint seen nothin yet"!!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:27 PM »

The other day this guy I happen to talk to told me that "we aint seen nothin yet"!!!

What does that mean ? there are other versions of GV and Hero's superior to the ones
released on that website ?

I Loved the Hero's and Villians, but I thought the officia GV single was better than the
interesting GV posted yesterday.

on a  side note is there any interesting 66-67 Beach Boy footage on you tube anywhere?
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: August 31, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »

I always wonder about the people who think that Brian's SMiLE from 2004 sounded 'too clean and happy' as well, and that some of the 'spooky, dirty sound' had been sanitised away in the 2004 version. Is that simply because they'd been listening to muddy-sounding SMiLE boots on cassette for years, and couldn't take more hi-fi versions?

I don't think so. Cabinessence has as much of "the spook" as anything and we've had a hi-fi version since 1968. If we had the '66 Child in similar fidelity I wouldn't think the spook would be diminished.

For me a comparison of the BWPS Cabinessence (not to mention Good Vibrations) to the 1966 versions illustrates the shortcomings of BWPS.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:27 PM »

I always wonder about the people who think that Brian's SMiLE from 2004 sounded 'too clean and happy' as well, and that some of the 'spooky, dirty sound' had been sanitised away in the 2004 version. Is that simply because they'd been listening to muddy-sounding SMiLE boots on cassette for years, and couldn't take more hi-fi versions?

I don't think so. Cabinessence has as much of "the spook" as anything and we've had a hi-fi version since 1968. If we had the '66 Child in similar fidelity I wouldn't think the spook would be diminished.

For me a comparison of the BWPS Cabinessence (not to mention Good Vibrations) to the 1966 versions illustrates the shortcomings of BWPS.

Agreed - the Bicycle Rider chorus in "Worms" (errr, "Roll Plymouth Rock") has always been my go-to example.  It took the creepy and menacing sound of the original and replaced it with a sterile synthesized facsimile. 
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »

Re: single request, got one..thank you!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: August 31, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »

(Lewis Shiner being the author of "Glimpses"--which was quite a fun read if you skipped over all the lousy marriages and scuba diving deaths.)

Someone posted that here a while ago and I really enjoyed it. The part with Brian was great, but I skimmed over some of the non-music related stuff. Might want to reread that now.
I think someone posted though that the guy who wrote it hadn't even listened to smile.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5719 on: August 31, 2011, 11:21:50 PM »

Astonishingly, when Shiner wrote that, he'd not heard one second of unreleased Smile material.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5720 on: August 31, 2011, 11:25:19 PM »

One thing someone over on the hoffman board mentioned that had also crossed my mind is that, when looking at the time for CITFOM (2:14), it seems as though the piano/vox section and jazz fade won't be making the proper album  Sad

With the exception of four tracks (maybe five), all other assumptions on track content are being based solely on timings. I find this highly amusing.

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: August 31, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »

Thank God Steve Hoffman used his charm and influence to keep Capitol from cancelling
the whole project, which they were going to do until he (Hoffman) had a word with them.

I hadn't known that, but apprently Hoffman posted that story himself. The thread seems
to have been deleted from his forum though, for some odd reason.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: August 31, 2011, 11:57:17 PM »

Thank God Steve Hoffman used his charm and influence to keep Capitol from cancelling
the whole project, which they were going to do until he (Hoffman) had a word with them.

I hadn't known that, but apprently Hoffman posted that story himself. The thread seems

Oh, it's an amazing tale of bravery and supernatural grace under pressure ... after informing us in the post-Jardine-Oops! thread that there absolutely was no SMiLE box set being worked on -- I believe "Forget about it, not happening, folks" is pretty close to an exact quote -- Capitol announced the upcoming SMiLE box set. Double-oops! Furiously back-pedaling, Da Hoff scolded his loyal forum members -- "you people" was the exact term -- for nearly scuttling the entire project with their desperate willingness to pay any amount of money for a SMiLE box set. Capitol was apparently so spooked by a the prospect of people actually wanting to BUY this product that Steve was pressured to deny its existence (ahhh....) in order to keep a lid on emotions, lest they boil over into a raging mob Beach Boys nerds furiously waving wads of $20 bills at the Capitol Tower.

With the truth (re)written thusly, Steve had that thread not just closed but vaporized, and started a new thread titled "At Last! Capitol To Release The Smile Sessions!" -- thereby making it look like (a) He himself was making the announcement, and (b) He had something to do with it all happening.

Good times ... good times.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: September 01, 2011, 12:11:42 AM »

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Paging Phil Cohen... paging Phil Cohen........

Your plate of Crow has been getting cold, since Friday......!

Razz
He posted some waffle on the blue..The guy has freakin issues

At least he's finally stopped saying the set isn't coming out. Now he's moved on to bitching about the tracklisting, the fool. At least a certain man who goes by 3 initials is taking obvious pleasure in pointing out the stupidity of his remarks over there.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5724 on: September 01, 2011, 12:38:41 AM »

One thing someone over on the hoffman board mentioned that had also crossed my mind is that, when looking at the time for CITFOM (2:14), it seems as though the piano/vox section and jazz fade won't be making the proper album  Sad

Oh, it's an amazing tale of bravery and supernatural grace under pressure ... after informing us in the post-Jardine-Oops! thread that there absolutely was no SMiLE box set being worked on -- I believe "Forget about it, not happening, folks" is pretty close to an exact quote -- Capitol announced the upcoming SMiLE box set. Double-oops! Furiously back-pedaling, Da Hoff scolded his loyal forum members -- "you people" was the exact term -- for nearly scuttling the entire project with their desperate willingness to pay any amount of money for a SMiLE box set. Capitol was apparently so spooked by a the prospect of people actually wanting to BUY this product that Steve was pressured to deny its existence (ahhh....) in order to keep a lid on emotions, lest they boil over into a raging mob Beach Boys nerds furiously waving wads of $20 bills at the Capitol Tower.

With the truth (re)written thusly, Steve had that thread not just closed but vaporized, and started a new thread titled "At Last! Capitol To Release The Smile Sessions!" -- thereby making it look like (a) He himself was making the announcement, and (b) He had something to do with it all happening.

Good times ... good times.

That was indeed one of the most batsh*t crazy posts I've ever seen from anyone on any BB related MB. And then, when people started pointing out the rampant lunacy of any such statement - I'll repeat it again, because it's just so loopy: Capitol Records were seriously considering dropping the whole thing because fans were calling them asking how to buy it - he went on the defensive, then zapped the thread. Makes CK look like a rank amateur.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 232 233 234 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx