gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680999 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 02:54:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1742308 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 03, 2011, 03:07:42 AM »

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 03, 2011, 05:23:42 AM »

I don't give a sh*t about the supposed lack of new information about the Smile release while Earcandy is providing stuff like this.  :D

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: July 04, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »

Just regarding the UNCUT spot - I looked at it today and it DOESN'T appear to be a review but just the 'closest or most indepth view yet" - it says Brian And Mark L spent 30 hours going through tapes.

I would expect a large feature article rather than a review but there may some form of small review included - not the main one though

Cheers

Richard
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: July 04, 2011, 08:49:25 AM »

Just regarding the UNCUT spot - I looked at it today and it DOESN'T appear to be a review but just the 'closest or most indepth view yet" - it says Brian And Mark L spent 30 hours going through tapes.

I would expect a large feature article rather than a review but there may some form of small review included - not the main one though

Cue 'Smile - The Full Story' mark 2 ....  Ahhh!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 04, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »

Earcandy did a helluva job with that, didn't he?  Grin   

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 04, 2011, 09:15:27 AM »

How is everyone?Huh??

Cheers

Richard
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 04, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »

How is everyone?Huh??

Tired of waiting lol

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1932 on: July 04, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »

Hopefully it will be better researched - and written - than the Mojo (not so)special. However, that bit about going through the tapes for 30 hours leads me to believe not. This from the 3/11/11 Billboard announcement:

"Linett says Wilson's 2004 "Smile" album has served as a blueprint for the current project, which will be mixed in mono because that's how Wilson‹who's deaf in his right ear‹intended it. But Linett adds that other selections from the 30 hours of "Smile" session recordings will more than likely be issued in stereo."

30 hours... gee, seems like I've heard that figure before.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:49:06 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 04, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »

Browsing through the new issue of Uncut magazine in Tower Records Dublin today, at the end of the new music review section, beside recommendations, has a box which notes three upcoming reviews in next months edition: Beach Boys.........SMiLE sessions.

As two people have interpreted this Uncut item very differently, could someone post a scan of it?  That way, the rest of us will have a chance to misinterpret it, as well.  Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 04, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »

NEXT MONTH…

BEIRUT
It's an older, wiser Zach Condon who returns on The Rip Tide, his first full-length since 2007's The Flying Cup Club.

BEACH BOYS
Brian Wilson and engineer Mark Linnett have trawled 30 hours of tapes to piece together The Smile Sessions – our fullest glimpse yet of The Beach Boys' holy grail.

TINARIWEN
The 2009 Uncut Music Award winners relocate from Mali to the deserts of Algeria for the acoustic Tassilli. Wilco's Nels Cline and Tunde and Kyp of TV On The Radio guest.

These things usually seem to refer to upcoming reviews but it's a tad hard to tell without an issue-to-issue A-B.

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: July 04, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »

BEIRUT
It's an older, wiser Zach Condon who returns on The Rip Tide, his first full-length since 2007's The Flying Cup Club.
The new Beirut is awesome!

BEACH BOYS
Brian Wilson and engineer Mark Linnett have trawled 30 hours of tapes to piece together The Smile Sessions – our fullest glimpse yet of The Beach Boys' holy grail.
That new Beach Boys is also supposed to be rather good.  3D
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: July 04, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blebM70Y1Sg

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: July 04, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

NEXT MONTH…

BEIRUT

BEACH BOYS

TINARIWEN
The 2009 Uncut Music Award winners relocate from Mali to the deserts of Algeria for the acoustic Tassilli. Wilco's Nels Cline and Tunde and Kyp of TV On The Radio guest.

These things usually seem to refer to upcoming reviews but it's a tad hard to tell without an issue-to-issue A-B.

Okay, thank you.

They do seem to be referring to forthcoming reviews.  Beirut's "The Rip Tide" and Tinariwen's "Tassilli" are both set for release on August 30, 2011.  The implication here is that  "The Smile Sessions" set will be the "fullest glimpse yet" of Smile.  I don't think that they're claiming that their upcoming article will be the "fullest glimpse yet."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: July 04, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »

NEXT MONTH…

BEIRUT

BEACH BOYS

TINARIWEN

The wait is going to be sooo worth it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: July 04, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »

NEXT MONTH…

BEIRUT

BEACH BOYS

TINARIWEN

Okay, thank you.

They do seem to be referring to forthcoming reviews.  Beirut's "The Rip Tide" and Tinariwen's "Tassilli" are both set for release on August 30, 2011.  The implication here is that  "The Smile Sessions" set will be the "fullest glimpse yet" of Smile.  I don't think that they're claiming that their upcoming article will be the "fullest glimpse yet."

I agree with that interpretation.

(Though wasn't Mojo's the fullest glimpse!?!?!?)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1940 on: July 05, 2011, 03:18:56 AM »

BEACH BOYS

There's a man at the door called Boyd who'd like a word with however wrote that.  Smiley

Seriously, Brian's contribution to the box (OK, aside from writing, arranging, performing and producing the material in the first place  Grin) was always going to be fairly minimal, along the lines of "yeah... yeah... no... OK..." when he's played tapes to audition or to approve the mix/sequence. The jury's still out on the villains (although Phil Cohen's got as good a chance as anyone) but the undoubted heroes of this whole farrago are Mark Linett and Alan Boyd.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1941 on: July 05, 2011, 03:20:24 AM »

No, that was "the full story" - different thing entirely.  Roll Eyes

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: July 05, 2011, 03:26:42 AM »

BEACH BOYS

There's a man at the door called Boyd who'd like a word with however wrote that.  Smiley

Seriously, Brian's contribution to the box (OK, aside from writing, arranging, performing and producing the material in the first place  Grin) was always going to be fairly minimal, along the lines of "yeah... yeah... no... OK..." when he's played tapes to audition or to approve the mix/sequence. The jury's still out on the villains (although Phil Cohen's got as good a chance as anyone) but the undoubted heroes of this whole farrago are Mark Linett and Alan Boyd.

Yep absolutely

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: July 05, 2011, 03:28:51 AM »

NEXT MONTH…

BEIRUT

BEACH BOYS

TINARIWEN

Okay, thank you.

They do seem to be referring to forthcoming reviews.  Beirut's "The Rip Tide" and Tinariwen's "Tassilli" are both set for release on August 30, 2011.  The implication here is that  "The Smile Sessions" set will be the "fullest glimpse yet" of Smile.  I don't think that they're claiming that their upcoming article will be the "fullest glimpse yet."

I am going to respectfully disagree on the basis that it DOESN'T clearly indicate its a review of the box set and also none of the other big UK music mags have any info in their 'next month's' sections - happy to be wrong though

Cheers

Richard
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: July 05, 2011, 03:47:09 AM »

NEXT MONTH…

BEIRUT

BEACH BOYS

TINARIWEN

Okay, thank you.

I am going to respectfully disagree on the basis that it DOESN'T clearly indicate its a review of the box set and also none of the other big UK music mags have any info in their 'next month's' sections - happy to be wrong though

Fair comment. But on the plus-side, those words appear in the August issue,relating to the September issue. September's still favourite for the release, and the mag would want its review in the corresponding issue.

However… and this is a big "however"… Uncut is very enthusiastic about reviewing/previewing stuff, especially important stuff.  I seem to remember several occasions when it previewed-as-a-near-review Neil Young's Archives Vol 1 before the thing actually came out.

However…I'll forgive Uncut anything - it's surpassed Mojo as the best music-mag-for-old-farts in my estimation!

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: July 05, 2011, 05:15:53 AM »

NEXT MONTH…

BEIRUT

BEACH BOYS

TINARIWEN

Okay, thank you.

I'm with Desmondo on this one. I don't think Uncut know any more than we do and are just assuming it will be ready to review between now and their next publication date (Aug 28th I think).

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: July 05, 2011, 05:19:42 AM »

I would read the foder out of that!

Grin Grin

Brilliant, what a great read that would be

And thus begins earcandy's two-week long marathon of creating an entire Mike Love edition of a Rolling Stone magazine. Grin

For foder's sake don't encourage him !

For foder's sake don't encourage MIKE LOVE !   Cool Guy
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: July 05, 2011, 10:07:37 AM »

Guess that 4th of July big announcement was a bust, huh?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: July 05, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »

this has probably been discussed previously, but I can't find where, so:
 Fire;
 I've always thought of this as an instrumental. But Brian/Beach Boys, was all about vocals. So as great as the track seems without vocals, what is the thought that Brian was planning to layer it with vocals? Or would it have been "finished"( maybe it is?) as an instrumental ? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: July 05, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »

this has probably been discussed previously, but I can't find where, so:
 Fire;
 I've always thought of this as an instrumental. But Brian/Beach Boys, was all about vocals. So as great as the track seems without vocals, what is the thought that Brian was planning to layer it with vocals? Or would it have been "finished"( maybe it is?) as an instrumental ? 

It's not as if Brian was a stranger to instrumentals. Seems like almost every Beach Boys album from Safari to Pet Sounds had an instrumental or two. So to say Brian was "all about vocals" isn't exactly true.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx