gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 11:22:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: September 19, 1964  (Read 3245 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »

Thought the Board might find this recently published article in a local paper interesting:

http://thestclairtimes.com/view/full_story/15010760/article-Ashville-resident-pictured-with-Beach-Boys---again?instance=2nd_left

It contains a BB photo that I've never seen before (if you click on the photo it will enlarge).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:30:26 AM »

“A few years ago, I learned from the high school chum who attended both Birmingham events with me that The Rolling Stones fronted for the Beach Boys at Legion Field, but I have no recollection of them being there. I was too wrapped up in the Boys.”

True ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:02:42 AM »

“A few years ago, I learned from the high school chum who attended both Birmingham events with me that The Rolling Stones fronted for the Beach Boys at Legion Field, but I have no recollection of them being there. I was too wrapped up in the Boys.”

True ?

when faced with a question about tour dates, it's always best to refer to Ian's timeline on AGD's site; and the answer is YES, May 7th, 1965. 

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs65.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:41:33 AM »

According to the timeline there's no Glen in the show. Who's true?

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »

It's Brian in the photo

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:29:17 AM »

It's Brian in the photo

Or Glen doing his job damn well.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 08:40:29 AM »

I mean the May 7th 1965 show.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »

Yes-Brian played the Sept 64 show and Glen played the Birmingham show in May 65. Bruce first appeared in Birmingham in Oct 1966. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »

True ?

when faced with a question about tour dates, it's always best to refer to Ian's timeline on AGD's site; and the answer is YES, May 7th, 1965. 

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs65.html

Yes, thanks ! But I mean, did the Stones actually open for the Beach Boys/were the Beach Boys the headliner ? I thought in '65 the Stones were big enough in the US to headline themselves.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »

I believe the Beach Boys performed AFTER the Rolling Stones, who would go on to record "Satisfaction" just a few days later.

To see a promotional ad for this show and the September 19, 1964 show go here and scroll down:

http://wvok-memories.tripod.com/id21.html

WVOK promoted some great concerts in Birmingham during the 60s and early 70s.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 08:11:59 PM »

Yes-the Stones directly preceded the Beach Boys on the bill
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »

I believe the Beach Boys performed AFTER the Rolling Stones, who would go on to record "Satisfaction" just a few days later.

Ewwww!!!!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »

Below is the text of the local newspaper review of the Legion Field show.  The author, 39 year old Emmett Weaver, certainly had little respect or appreciation for what he probably just considered teenage "noise". 

Backstage Beat (as published in the Monday, May 10, 1965 edition of the  Birmingham Post Herald –page 15)

LEGION FIELD SHOW ATTRACTS 15,000
By Emmett Weaver
Post Herald Amusement Editor

Picture five shaggy dogs being watched by 15,000 squealing teens and you get the scene at Legion Field this past weekend.

With England’s unshorn quintet, “The Rolling Stones” as the chief box-office bait to the show, the younger crowd came from far and near. Most were from Alabama and Mississippi, but a few undaunted fans even journeyed from places as distant as Texas and North Carolina.

As an outdoor production, the Friday show was the first of its kind to be tried at gigantic Legion Field and even a crowd of 15,000 huddled together around the north corner of the bowl seemed lost in this spacious stadium.

The audience fell into two definite categories (1) the screaming hand waving teens and younger set who were quite obviously dyed-in-the-wool champions of this noisy form of “music” and (2) parents with their stolid, patient faces who had been dragged to this teenage shindig under the stars. 

The attraction which elicited the most audience response was the mop-haired English lads, “The Rolling Stones”, who have recently been on the Ed Sullivan show.

The Birmingham police department kept the youngsters from, “The Rolling Stones” and “The Beach Boys” whenever they made an entrance or exit. Also it took a special wire fence across the width of the field to separate spectators from performers.

Along with the shindig entertainment, the WVOK sponsored show, which was emceed by Dan Brennan, had quite a bit of country music talent from the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.

Along with “The Rolling Stones”, country music talent such as this seemed definitely out of place in a show of this kind. Opry singer Skeeter Davis very obviously appeared peeved because she kept referring to the short time she was going to be on stage.

Giving the best show, though, was Alabama’s own country music star, Sonny James, a native of Hackleburg, who demonstrated his agility at playing a fiddle behind his back, under his legs, in fact, in just about any position.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:37 AM »

I agree with Emmet.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx