gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 09:31:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun - iTunes preorder + Bonus tracks  (Read 10466 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 05:20:14 AM »

Yeah, I guess I could see it for countries outside the U.S., but over here everything is everywhere as soon as it comes out.  Actually, with Brian and others it's kind of a fun little game.  When the tuesday comes around that the c.d. comes out on, I go to best buy (usually) because they're usually pretty cheap, and sometimes have extra stuff.  When you get in there, they always have the newest rap cds out on the displays, and maybe even some of the big country acts... but Brian is usually hiding somewhere.  So you have to walk around looking for him.  I usually find him on a cart of the 'lesser' cd's that they haven't put out yet, but are working on.  It's kind of like Christmas. 

If you go to Wal mart, they always have them too but they're still in Cardboard boxes, so you usually have to read the labels on the side of the box to see which box he's in this time.  LOL
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 05:25:04 AM »

It makes great sense to cut such a deal with one retailer. But different deals with different bonus tracks with different retailers is ridiculous.

How is it rediculous?  If I were Brian, I'd cut dozens of deals with different retailers.  Every single one of them is going to sweeten the deal and give him something in return that will ultimately help the album be successful.  How can you complain as a fan that he's putting out even more music?  Is your position honestly that you'd prefer him to only give away 2 bonus tracks as compared to 6 or 8 or however many he's done?  The more the merrier!

It is rediculous because I don't want to have to buy 4 versions of the same album to get all the tracks.  If I could buy just the bonus tracks from somewhere, then it wouldn't be an issue.  It makes me want to not buy any version and just wait for the album to be posted somewhere for me to download.  Although I will still get the CD/DVD & Vinyl versions.  I am going to hope that I can find someone to get me the other 4 songs.  I don't want to spend +$80 for a total of 22 tracks.

Jean Sievers posted on the Imagination mailing list that the Best Buy bonus tracks are different from the iTunes bonus tracks, and are with Carol King.  Many people have assumed that these 2 tracks would be the ones that were written about several years ago, "Good Kind Of Love" with Carol singing Taylor's part, and "I'm Into Something Good," a cover of the Herman's Hermits song.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 05:30:13 AM »

Well, I'm DEFINATELY getting the Best Buy version now.  The admin over at Brian's board just posted what the tracks are.

"Good Kind Of Love" featuring Carole King
"I'm Into Something Good" featuring Carole King (was a hit for the Herman's Hermits back in the 60s and written by Goffin/King) and
"Just Like Me And You" which was written by Brian solo.

I've always loved "I'm into something good" and I think Brian could do a great job with it.  Who thinks Brian's next album might be an album of cover songs?  Isn't that the hip thing to do when you become an old and established artist?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 05:33:57 AM »

Well, I'm DEFINATELY getting the Best Buy version now.  The admin over at Brian's board just posted what the tracks are.

"Good Kind Of Love" featuring Carole King
"I'm Into Something Good" featuring Carole King (was a hit for the Herman's Hermits back in the 60s and written by Goffin/King) and
"Just Like Me And You" which was written by Brian solo.

I've always loved "I'm into something good" and I think Brian could do a great job with it.  Who thinks Brian's next album might be an album of cover songs?  Isn't that the hip thing to do when you become an old and established artist?

Wow, thanks for that Ron. I'm even more excited for this release now with all these bonus tracks. And I like your suggestion of a covers album. While some people might find it dull, I think it would be cool for Brian to cover his favourite songs.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 05:37:45 AM »

It makes great sense to cut such a deal with one retailer. But different deals with different bonus tracks with different retailers is ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous?  If I were Brian, I'd cut dozens of deals with different retailers ... How can you complain as a fan that he's putting out even more music?  Is your position honestly that you'd prefer him to only give away 2 bonus tracks as compared to 6 or 8 or however many he's done?

It is ridiculous because I don't want to have to buy 4 versions of the same album to get all the tracks. ... It makes me want to not buy any version and just wait for the album to be posted somewhere for me to download.  ...  I don't want to spend +$80 for a total of 22 tracks.

... the Best Buy bonus tracks are different from the iTunes bonus tracks...

It does piss me off that these different versions of albums are released to entice is to buy the same stuff over and over again.  I've posted on the Blueboard to try get the Admin there to let us know what's coming out where as the news is fragmented and frustrating.  I don't expect a reply there though -  that site's for fans and it's getting harder to see how much respect is left for fans.

The Live at the Roxy CD, way back when, was at the time the worst example of ripping fans off to date. I have no fewer that five versions -  the four CD versions each have different track line-up; three were expansions of the original "only available online" release. The final (Japanese) version had six bonus tracks over and above the original.

What about a definitive, for-the-hardcore-fans, brianwilson.com-only TLOS release that includes all the album plus the bonus tracks in one package?

Are they scared the album won't sell enough otherwise?

Like Parks Asher, I don't want to shell out for all these scattered extras. It used to be fun, going to great lengths,  tracking down obscure releases in stores and way-off websites,  but now they just wave them at as we approach the till. Having been a BBs?BW fan for almost 40 years, this is the first time I'm started to feel trampled on.

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 05:41:54 AM »

The Live at the Roxy CD, way back when, was at the time the worst example of ripping fans off to date. I have no fewer that five versions -  the four CD versions each have different track line-up; three were expansions of the original "only available online" release. The final (Japanese) version had six bonus tracks over and above the original.

What are the differences between those Live At The Roxy versions? I have the version here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Roxy_Theatre with those three bonus tracks. And of course there is the DVD-Audio version but what are the other bonus tracks on the other ones?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 05:47:54 AM »

Web only -  original 13 tracks

US stores release - + Sloop, Barbara Ann, Interview

Europe release - those + Wouldn't It Be Nice & Help Me Rhonda

Japanese release - all those + Fun Fun Fun.

In each case the interview was bumped to be the final track.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 05:56:55 AM »

Thanks for that Wee Helper, I didn't realise there was so many versions!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 06:56:34 AM »

I'm just excited to be getting all this extra BW music.

Five new tracks?
Three new Brian comps?

Hot damn!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 07:27:25 AM »

Thanks for that Wee Helper, I didn't realise there was so many versions!!

And now the TLOS debacle:

iTunes bonus tracks:
Oh Mi Amor & Message Man, video for MAD + digital booklet.

Best Buy Bonus Tracks:
Good Kind Of Love featuring Carole King
I'm Into Something Good featuring Carole King
Just LIke Me And You, Brian solo.

And apparently different track listings

Best Buy (18 tracks listed):
1. That Lucky Old Sun
2. Morning Beat
3. Narrative: Room With a View
4. Good Kind of Love
5. Forever My Surfer Girl
6. Narrative: Venice Beach
7. Live Let Live
8. Mexican Girl
9. Narrative: Cinco De Mayo
10. California Role
11. Narrative: Between Pictures
12. Oxygen
13. Can't Wait Too Long
14. Midnight's Another Day
15. Lucky Old Sun [Reprise]
16. Going Home
17. Southern California
18. Roll-Around Heaven [Reprise]

Capitol (16 tracks listed):
1. That Lucky Old Sun
2. Morning Beat
3. That Lucky Old Sun (narrative)
4. Good Kind Of Love
5. Forever My Surfer Girl
6. That Lucky Old Sun (narrative)
7. Live Let Live
8. Mexican Girl
9. That Lucky Old Sun (narrative)
10. California Role
11. That Lucky Old Sun (narrative)
12. Oxygen
13. Can’t Wait Too Long (vocal excerpt)
14. Midnight’s Another Day
15. Going Home
16. Southern California

Amazon (17 tracks listed):
1. That Lucky Old Sun
2. Morning Beat
3. Room With A View
4. Good Kind Of Love
5. Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl
6. Venice Beach
7. Live Let Live/That Lucky Old Sun
8. Mexican Girl
9. Cinco De Mayo
10. California Role/That Lucky Old Sun
11. Between Pictures
12. Oxygen To The Brain
13. Can't Wait Too Long
14. Midnight's Another Day
15. That Lucky Old Sun
16. Going Home
17. Southern California

I know, I know, I'm having as moan.

But it's all inconsistent, frustrating and a rather amateurish on someone's part, not to mention a kick in the balls for UK fans who can't buy the Best Buy version.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »

But it's all inconsistent, frustrating and a rather amateurish on someone's part, not to mention a kick in the balls for UK fans who can't buy the Best Buy version.

Don't forget us Australian fans!! But I agree with you, this does seem kinda strange that each website lists different track listings for the album? Why couldn't they just have included all of the tracks on the one release and charged us an extra 3 or 4 dollars for the album?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 08:32:14 AM »

Don't forget us Australian fans!! But I agree with you, this does seem kinda strange that each website lists different track listings for the album? Why couldn't they just have included all of the tracks on the one release and charged us an extra 3 or 4 dollars for the album?

That would have suited me down to the ground. And I think most fans, the world over!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »

It's because TLOS is a piece. With a beginning and end. The bonus tracks should not be part of the main issue.

That being said, it would be nice if they could be separately purchased on a bonus EP or something. Actually, my guess is that Capitol reissues the album next year in a super-deluxe edition with all the bonus tracks and a full concert DVD. Bet you anything.

As for the different track listings (16, 17 or 18 tracks) those are all the same album. Bet you anything. Some of the brief snippets are being listed in different ways.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 01:45:55 PM »

"I can't have it all, so I don't want ANY OF IT!!!!"

How childish.  How about you just pick one, and be happy with it?  We all know you'll just download the extra tracks anyways, is it really a big deal? 

Hey, here's a clue... he's got 100's of unreleased tracks as well.  Would you rather he just keep a few of these unreleased?  What's with all the greed of wanting it ALL.  Nobody says you have to buy every album.  I won't. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »

That's the point I was making that you obviously missed earlier: by cutting these deals, you are enticing very few people to actually buy multiple versions. You are mostly just inviting people to illegally download the tracks from the other versions they didn't buy. And so it barely (if at all) helps in terms of getting people to buy multiple copies, and it creates bad will among fans who feel shat upon by being asked to buy three or four versions.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »

Even though I ordered the Best Buy version, the CD/DVD version, and will download the iTunes version, in addition to the vinyl that should be in my hands tomorrow or Friday....  the version I'll listen to most is just the regular ol standard CD issue.  Why?  Because, like SMiLE, TLOS is a song-cycle unto itself.  From "That Lucky Old Sun" to "Southern California" and the "Rollin Round Heaven" reprise, it is one complete thought. No bonus tracks needed.  Your mileage may vary.

As to the bonus tracks issue... I posted the following to BW.com and emailed Jean Sievers as well

I fully understand the premise of certain retailers wanting "exclusive" bonus tracks. However how long is the "exclusive" period?

I would like to see a new, BW.com only CD release that consists of:

Live Let Live (Arctic Tale version)
Midnight's Another Day (demo version from website)
Forever My Surfer Girl (demo version with extra verse from website)
Heaven (from website)
Oh Mi Amor
Message Man
Good Kind Of Love (with Carole King)
I'm Into Something Good (with Carole King)
Just Like Me And You
that Spanish ballad mentioned in interviews a while back

I think this would be a nice gesture to the most dedicated of Brian's fans.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »

Jeff -- I bet that "Oh Mi Amor" is the Spanish ballad.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »

Unless he went on a Spanish-language ballad streak for a while and has an album's worth of them lying about.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »

I wouldn't put it past him, that's the funny thing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 02:45:14 PM »

The 30-second iTunes preview for Oh Mi Amor is completely in English.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »

"I can't have it all, so I don't want ANY OF IT!!!!"

How childish.  How about you just pick one, and be happy with it?  We all know you'll just download the extra tracks anyways, is it really a big deal? 

Hey, here's a clue... he's got 100's of unreleased tracks as well.  Would you rather he just keep a few of these unreleased?  What's with all the greed of wanting it ALL.  Nobody says you have to buy every album.  I won't. 

You're out by a mile. Of COURSE I'll buy the album; I just want to maximise what I get for my pounds. I don't have many left and there's a wean on the way that's pretty soon going to demand that I spend money on him/her instead of these CDs/DVDs.

And I don't download available released music, on principle. Don't mind downloading otherwise-unavailable boots from time to time, but not the stuff that's in stores.

As a fan for many, many years I want to hear as much BW/BBs material as possible -  I love it, I'm interested. Maybe addicted.  Just not sure how much longer I can afford to buy it.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »

Another special edition:

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&deptnr=594

Not too worried about missing out on this one though!  Roll Eyes  LOL

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »

That's the point I was making that you obviously missed earlier: by cutting these deals, you are enticing very few people to actually buy multiple versions. You are mostly just inviting people to illegally download the tracks from the other versions they didn't buy. And so it barely (if at all) helps in terms of getting people to buy multiple copies, and it creates bad will among fans who feel shat upon by being asked to buy three or four versions.

he's not trying to get people to buy multiple copies.  AGAIN, if you would open your mind a little bit you'd see that this is the result of the companies that want the exclusives on these albums.  Brian doesnt' have a damn thing to do with it.  He gives Best Buy 3 extra tracks because they gave him a sweet deal.  Same thing with Amazon and a million others if it makes sense to Brian.  It isn't so everybody will buy several, it's so people will pick 1, and buy IT because it's a better CD than the others.  You're the only one talking about buying several.  I didn't make your point, you missed mine. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 05:28:26 PM »

You still are missing my point entirely. And I know you think I'm missing yours, but you're wrong in that. However, if it will please you, feel free to write it again in all caps. I appreciate the suggestion of me opening my mind, however. I'll really look into it. I will. Because you asked me to.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »

Well, as I discussed, I am annoyed by the various versions with differing bonus tracks, so I cancelled my Best Buy order today for the vinyl and CD/DVD.

I just got back from a local record store after buying the vinyl.  It sounds amazing!!!!! !!!!  I am pumped.  I am ripping it to CD as I listen to it for the first time so I can listen to it at work tomorrow as well.

The album artwork looks really cool on the big vinyl jacket.  California Role is just starting, and so far this is by far Brian's best solo album.  For those that care, all songs are Wilson/Bennett except for Live Let Live is Wilson/Parks.  Can't Wait Too Long & Good Kind Of Love is Wilson only.  Oh, and the narratives are all Wilson/Parks.

I am loving this album! As a big Brian fan I want the DVD and bonus tracks.  But I do not want to have to pay 11.99 to get the 2 bonus tracks at iTunes, or 14.99 to get the 3 bonus tracks at Best Buy.   And as someone that before I was married and had kids probably would have just bought them all, it is insulting to put those various versions out there and expect someone to pay $80 to get everything that is being released, when 90% of it is duplicated.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx